Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

Half off for the original Modern Warfare

http://store.steampo...d.com/app/7940/

#2 Vendetta

Vendetta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

Ooh, I might get this just for the single player campaign. I could mess around with the multi between BC2 sessions too.

#3 mokmoof

mokmoof

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...

#4 MagicChicken

MagicChicken

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hah! Saw this right after playing The Passing on L4D2.

Pretty good deal imo. How's the multiplayer in this one?
Spy sappin' mah sentry!

#5 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:55 PM

Took long enough for this to get to a considerable price. Probably still won't bite, though; I'd only play the single player and I have enough games right now.

#6 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

SWEET price :D

#7 JUDOHAWK

JUDOHAWK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

I have this on retail disc, but it's still an awesome game on PC. Feels dated now, but it's still solid.

#8 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

Hah! Saw this right after playing The Passing on L4D2.

Pretty good deal imo. How's the multiplayer in this one?

Has dedicated servers and is played a ton, IIRC.

#9 Tancred

Tancred

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

According to Xfire stats, more people play this than MW2 using Xfire's MW stats compared to Steam's MW2 stats.

#10 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Bah, I own the game but the box is seperated from the CD case and CD. I need to find that...

Since when did they stop putting the CD key in booklets =/

#11 Chuplayer

Chuplayer

Anticitizen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

Crap, and this month I promised myself I wouldn't spend any money. I already spent $15 on Force Unleashed, but it was because I had come upon some extra money.

But I have wanted to play the Modern Warfare games...
Boycotting Digital Press for blatant anti-Semitism.

#12 timobkg

timobkg

CAG Maestro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

If I've never plated a Modern Warfare game, is this worth my time, or should I skip straight to the (much-discussed) sequel?

Edit: And jeez, it took the thing this long to get down to $15? Mass Effect was $5 not too long ago...

It's worth your time. The single player campaign is really good, short, but worth the price. It has a really good story, and memorable characters for an FPS. And, for what it's worth, I think there are more people playing CoD4 multi than MW2 (and possibly BF:BC2).

MW2 has a lot more action and excitement, like you're playing through an action movie, but the story is disjointed, confusing, and at times preposterous. Every new mission jumps to a different character, with 6 in all, so I was often confused as to who I was, where I was, what I was doing there, and why. But it was edge-of-your-seat nonsensical excitement!

Personally, I enjoyed them both. The first has a great story, while the second is filled with action and excitement.

#13 timobkg

timobkg

CAG Maestro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Bah, I own the game but the box is seperated from the CD case and CD. I need to find that...

Since when did they stop putting the CD key in booklets =/

The CD key is on the back of the CD case.

#14 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

The CD key is on the back of the CD case.

That is my point :lol:

#15 CountChoculitis

CountChoculitis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:11 AM

More PC people play CoD 4 because it has dedicated servers unlike MW2 which uses p2p like consoles. CoD 4 is a lot more fun with dedicated servers because server hosts can police their own servers, reduces lag, and can have up to 32 people playing on one map rather than the capped 18 on consoles and MW2 PC. Games are also usually longer as well so you can get 100 kills or more in one game.

Definitely worth it for $15.

#16 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

Better than MW2 on PC?

I used to own MW on 360 ... loved it, but sold it in anticipation of MW2 (because obviously the sequel was going to be better :cry: ) ... didn't love MW2, sold it ...

So is it worth picking up again for PC?

#17 mokmoof

mokmoof

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

It's worth your time. The single player campaign is really good, short, but worth the price. It has a really good story, and memorable characters for an FPS. And, for what it's worth, I think there are more people playing CoD4 multi than MW2 (and possibly BF:BC2).

MW2 has a lot more action and excitement, like you're playing through an action movie, but the story is disjointed, confusing, and at times preposterous. Every new mission jumps to a different character, with 6 in all, so I was often confused as to who I was, where I was, what I was doing there, and why. But it was edge-of-your-seat nonsensical excitement!

Personally, I enjoyed them both. The first has a great story, while the second is filled with action and excitement.

Thanks for the mini-review! I am now strongly considering a purchase. Only my backlog might stop me.

#18 saturnotaku

saturnotaku

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

The SP is short but well worth it (beat it in a weekend on the PS3). I might have to jump on this deal.

#19 SelmaBlair

SelmaBlair

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

Sweet.. just paid full price 2 weeks ago.

#20 boredasfook

boredasfook

Let's Get Weird!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:28 AM

I'm so tempted. You know what I'm leaving now before i make another impulse buy...

Currently playing:
:pc: League of Legends/Titanfall
:3ds: Pokemon Y
:ps3: Okami HD

:ps4: NBA 2K14

#21 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:29 AM

Better than MW2 on PC?

I used to own MW on 360 ... loved it, but sold it in anticipation of MW2 (because obviously the sequel was going to be better :cry: ) ... didn't love MW2, sold it ...

So is it worth picking up again for PC?

If you want to play it again, yeah. PC version didn't have any issues, had dedicated servers, got all the map packs for free, and was generally a good game. Since you already know your thoughts on the game for 360 then barring your computer not having enough grunt to run it well (Kinda unlikely, I seem to remember it scaling well) PC version was/is good.

I think this is a bit of a Fuck you to the MW2 map pack coming up. "Hey, why buy a MW2 map pack for $15 which has two MW1 maps in it when you can just buy MW1 for $15".

#22 TehKyosho

TehKyosho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

theres also a star wars mod for it :D
http://www.moddb.com...lactic-warfare/

#23 SpaceSpace

SpaceSpace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:46 AM

That Star Wars mod looks awesome! Does it have an active community what so ever? Anyways for $15 this seems like a sure deal for me :D

Posted Image

#24 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:44 AM

Argh, I got the 360 version during Game Days specifically because the PC version was never on sale! I want this!

#25 Spooon69

Spooon69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:16 AM

If you want to play this online, keep in mind...

Punkbuster + Steam Overlay == No Go

First of all, annoying as hell setting up Punkbuster correctly (gotta do some manual updates of the Punkbuster files cause of UAC, it's all in the Steam forums).

Second, even after it's all setup, you need to disable Steam Overlay to play this game otherwise Punkbuster will kick you (Steam blames Punkbuster and Punkbuster said they won't fix it). No overlay, means no Steam Friend IMing.

Single player was fun though, short-ish though. I took it pretty slow the first time I played it, done in 6 hours.

#26 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:42 AM

If you want to play this online, keep in mind...

Punkbuster + Steam Overlay == No Go

First of all, annoying as hell setting up Punkbuster correctly (gotta do some manual updates of the Punkbuster files cause of UAC, it's all in the Steam forums).

Second, even after it's all setup, you need to disable Steam Overlay to play this game otherwise Punkbuster will kick you (Steam blames Punkbuster and Punkbuster said they won't fix it). No overlay, means no Steam Friend IMing.

Single player was fun though, short-ish though. I took it pretty slow the first time I played it, done in 6 hours.

Oh god that kills the temptation I had to re-buy this for Steam. They did this (Punkbuster kicking you due to Steam overlay) in Battlefield 2 as well which enrages the shit out of me.

#27 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:01 AM

I have BF Bad Company 2 on Steam and have not had an single issue with Punkbuster and the overlay

#28 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

Anyone know when this goes off sale? I'm afraid that I'll forget to purchase this.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

Anyone know when this goes off sale? I'm afraid that I'll forget to purchase this.

Sunday night/Monday morning.

#30 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:50 AM

I have BF Bad Company 2 on Steam and have not had an single issue with Punkbuster and the overlay

I'm guessing you weren't born at night.

Posted Image