Backlog CAG Playthrough #1- Tales of the Abyss- Week 2

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

Alright, this thread begin over in the General Gaming, RPG thread, and now has it's own home! So, for anyone interested this is a community playthrough to try and motivate and keep each other on track to knock a bit off of our backlog.

The objective is to play around 4-5 hours a week. Each week everyone attempts to reach the same point in the game, whether it is a town, dungeon, or boss. If you don't make the point in the week, don't freak out and of course it's no big deal if you go past the point. If for some reason you absolutely hate the game, then by all means up and leave.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING SEND ME A MESSAGE.
I'd like to keep a tally on this post as to who is going to playing and what "level" we are at.

I'm hoping that we can accomplish several things.

1) Chip away at each of ours ever increasing backlog of games.
2) In some creepy internet way, motivate each other to keep playing the game.
3) To share insight and opinion about the game with others. This will probably generate the most activity in this thread.

PLAYERS
kidicarus23
icebeast
Criscokidd
StarKnightX
Asgardian
depascal22
Krymner

THE SCHEDULE

April 30th-May 8th: Beat the Liger Queen and get to Tartarus.
May 8th-May 15th: Arrive at Chesedonia

Edited by chibamm, 08 May 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Posted Image

#2 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm in it to finish it. I just hope Persona 4 lets me out of the house long enough to get some playtime.

#3 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

Problem is I'm already more than halfway through my game of Abyss.

#4 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

Eh, what the hell. I'll try and keep pace, but I'm sure I'll probably fall behind at some time.

I've had TotA in my own backlog for awhile now. I'll try and start it up tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

#5 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Problem is I'm already more than halfway through my game of Abyss.

The game is like 60 hours long, so you still have a long way to go.

Good game, but I think it was a bit too long for what it was.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#6 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Cool, I will either join in when you guys get to the desert or restart it.

PaulManda.png

#7 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

I got around the 2/3 mark around abyss before I stopped playing, same with Vesperia. The only one I managed to finish was Tales of Hearts. I might just start Tales of Destiny 2 PS2 instead

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#8 JJc14

JJc14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Great idea, but I'm currently on Tales of Legendia and likely won't start TotA for a long while...

#9 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

So what are the rules for spoilers? Personally I would rather not have to put spoiler tags on everything. At least can we freely discuss events up to the stopping point without putting it in spoiler tags?

#10 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

Also like other Tales games Abyss have tons of "talk to this person before finishing this dungeon or miss really important item 30 hours later" Might be a good idea to include some information.

Looking for Danganronpa Anime Expo edition.  Please PM me if you have it for sale.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#11 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

As far as spoilers are concerned as long as it is after that weeks play to allow everyone to play the part and then discuss.
Posted Image

#12 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Great idea OP, 4-5 hours a week seems doable, I have so much backlog I have problem deciding which to play first...

Thanks OP!

#13 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Starting TotA now. Ah, so its another spiky-haired child of destiny standard JRPG from what I can tell so far. Music is nice. Graphic-wise it seems to me to be a step-down from the wonderful cel-shaded character models and backgrounds from Symphonia. I mean, its not bad or anything, but to me Symphonia just looked better.

The only other Tales game I've played is ToS on the Cube, and it is one of my all-time favorite RPGs, and my absolute favorite on the Gamecube. If Abyss is half as good as it was, I'm sure I'll have a good time playing it.

I only advanced up to the first save point in Tataroo Valley (about 30 minutes in) so I didn't get very far at all. Right now the story is a little confusing with the Seventh Fonehome or whatever, but I'm sure it will all be explained eventually. Luke seems kind of like an annoying little selfish brat, but I guess I would be too if I was as sheltered as he has been. I just hope he grows up eventually, cause an attitude like that can get old after awhile. I'm sure Guy is more than he appears. Not sure what Tear's motivations are yet, but she seems like she might be a good mentor for Luke.

#14 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

Luke seems kind of like an annoying little selfish brat, but I guess I would be too if I was as sheltered as he has been. I just hope he grows up eventually, cause an attitude like that can get old after awhile.

Ya I found him a bit annoying at the start of the game, but where I made it in the game last time I felt like he had underwent a fairly good transition which made him more tolerable.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#15 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

Ya I found him a bit annoying at the start of the game, but where I made it in the game last time I felt like he had underwent a fairly good transition which made him more tolerable.

That's really good to know.

I'm about 2 hours in now. Got to the Cheagle forest.

#16 kidicarus23

kidicarus23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:53 AM

This seems pretty cool. I think I'll join in too. I'll get it started tonight. Hopefully I can keep pace and stay interested.
Posted Image

#17 CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

Guess I'll jump in too. Just for fun.

I whooped the Liger Queen already.

I'm playing this on my new slim and the loading times aren't nearly as bad as the first time I slogged through it on my fatty.

#18 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:26 AM

I'm right at about 2 hours in and these loading times are already getting to me. I counted the load time after battle....it's about 7-8 seconds of black screen after each battle. Am I crazy, or there is no voiceover during the skits?

EDIT

And just got to the Tartarus. Luke IS a little shit but at least it keeps me interested with all his stupid dumb ass comments. If he was just like, "Yeah, I wanna save you." I'd get bored quick. I was laughing pretty hard when he was pounding that cheagle's head in the ground then booted it off into the distance.

Edited by chibamm, 03 May 2010 - 03:38 AM.

Posted Image

#19 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

Just finished the Liger Queen, the "free run" ability sure was handy!

The Tear and Luke dual reminds me of Star Ocean 3.

#20 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

I would join but I just started FFX

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#21 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

Guess I'll jump in too. Just for fun.

I whooped the Liger Queen already.

I'm playing this on my new slim and the loading times aren't nearly as bad as the first time I slogged through it on my fatty.

I kind of want one of those newer PS2 slims with the redesigned cabinet. I have a 39001 (mostly functional after laser adjustment), a 50001 (very rare disc read error on PS1 games) and a sealed 50001 online bundle. I think I'm too afraid to crack open the 50001 though.

PaulManda.png

#22 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

I just started today. Playing this and Persona 4 at the same time should be fun.

#23 romeogbs19

romeogbs19

Henshin A Go-Go Baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

oooooo -- good idea; have had this game sitting around for such a long time.

problem is i'm bound to fall behind :-( i can't devote 4-5 hours a week (sad, i know).

best of luck to everyone. i find myself mostly relegated to playing fighters now (low commitment, heh).

#24 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:43 AM

I wish I still had this in my backlog, but it is too full to replay a game right now. Hope you all enjoy the game as much as I did!

fs_overall.png

#25 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Whooped up the Liger Queen this morning, a little under 3 hours of gameplay so far.

So, "Arrive at Chesadonia" is our next stopping point? I'll try and put a couple more hours into it this weekend and at least get halfway there.

The sidebar "scenes" do annoy me because the music gets muted. Grrrr. Its bad enough that they don't have voice-overs, but muting the background music or even failing to have new "scene" music is just a bad call. So far, this is my biggest gripe with the game. Everything else is fine, but I guess I'll just have to get used to no music in the "scenes".

#26 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

^ I was pretty annoyed at that as well. I noticed during some parts, depending on where you were, that the background music wouldn't drop completely. The music would only fade slightly.

Also, I made the second week a tad bit longer. My play time was around 3 hours or so as well. I tried to keep it relatively light for the first week, so we'll see how everyone does in this second one.
Posted Image

#27 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

At the 3:30 mark now and just left the Tartarus. Ugh, there were block puzzles. Extremely easy ones too.

I think I'm gonna grind a little before going to the next town, just so I'll have some monies to spend at the shops.

#28 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

Put another hour in. Most of it grinding for some spending money.

Character observations:

Luke: Insecure about his mullet hair-do
Tear: Probably extremely annoying and chatty if she ever got drunk.
Jade: When he adjusts his glasses, he does it with his middle finger, thus flipping the bird to Luke.
Guy: Obviously gay.
Meiu: Everytime Luke smacks him, I smile.

The mention of "Sephiroth" is interesting. Not just the Final Fantasy VII reference, but them being the "10 most powerful fon slots" because in the Jewish kabbalah, "Sephirot" is the 10 attributes/emanations thru which God reveals himself. Seems more than just coincidental.

#29 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Just started it up. Feels like the other Tales games I've played. Graphics aren't as good as I was expecting. Persona 4 kinda spoiled me.

#30 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:31 AM

I haven't even started my Week 2 play yet. I'm trying desperately to beat Vesperia this week plus RL stuff is getting hectic. Hopefully Thursday night I can get to it.
Posted Image