Photo
- - - - -

DVD2Blu - Trade your DVDs for BLUs

• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#1 kylem785

kylem785

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

Sorry if this has been posted, didnt see it anywhere...
WB has rolled out a program to upgrade your current dvds to blurays!
http://www.dvd2blu.com/
There are about 79 listed as of now and most can be upgraded for just $5...you mail them your dvd, they send you the bluray new in packaging...pretty sweet deal!
I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will
Hope this helps some of you, I'd love to see it rolled out to other studios

#2 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

Oooh, that's pretty cool, thanks OP.

I’ve got Blood Diamond, The Departed, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Elf all for $30 pre tax. Seems like a good deal.
To each his own.

#3 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

Been around for awhile now actually. Unfortunately unless you've got multiple movies shipping absolutely kills the deal as you can get most of the titles for less on Amazon.

#4 Coyotezeye

Coyotezeye

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Actually it hasnt Izod.. that was the RedtoBlu program.. which is still active. They just started this one not too long ago.

www.exilecomputergaming.com
LAN Parties in Albany, NY

#5 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Actually it hasnt Izod.. that was the RedtoBlu program.. which is still active. They just started this one not too long ago.

Actually it has been around a while. It used to be 7.95 per title. I've had it bookmarked for over a year hoping that more titles would be listed.

#6 Slappybob

Slappybob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Been around for awhile now actually. Unfortunately unless you've got multiple movies shipping absolutely kills the deal as you can get most of the titles for less on Amazon.

With DVD2Blu
Posted ImageBlazing Saddles$4.95Posted ImageL.A. Confidential$6.95Posted ImageMask, The$4.95Posted ImageOcean's Eleven$4.95Posted ImageSpeed Racer$6.95
Total: $28.75

with Amazon
Ocean's Eleven $16.99
Blazing Saddles $11.49
The Mask $16.49
L.A. Confidential $14.99
Speed Racer* $10.00

Total: $69.96

Looks like i would save more money with DVD 2 Blu then Amazon.

*Amazon did not have a speed racer in stock so i went with Walmart who had the lowest price.
The Douchebag Porpoise does not save drowning sailors, it just mocks them as they struggle. What a jerk!

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:360: Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands
:xbox: Mechwarrior
:ps2: Final Fantasy X
:psp: Legend of Heroes
:pc: Portal

#7 seanw

seanw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Typical guy is right that DVD2Blu has been around for awhile, but there have been titles added as well as a price drop. I didn't bite on it before; I might now. I'm not crazy about parting with the DVDs, but the price is finally right.

#8 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

If it were just the UPC, I'd take them up on this offer. However, I am not sending them a disc, paying that shipping cost and waiting for the time it will take. Most of these catalog titles are less than 10-15 dollars new in most places and I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

It's nice they have this but sending in the disc and the shipping costs kills it for me.

#9 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

If it were just the UPC, I'd take them up on this offer. However, I am not sending them a disc, paying that shipping cost and waiting for the time it will take. Most of these catalog titles are less than 10-15 dollars new in most places and I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

It's nice they have this but sending in the disc and the shipping costs kills it for me.

What shipping costs? The site says your order comes with a prepaid label for the DVDs you're sending in.

default.pngmmitch079.png

#10 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

I might do this to finally get rid of my american history x snapper case. I would take advantage more but a lot of the titles I have special editions instead of the bare bones release which makes it harder to send in. Like True Romance and Pans Labrynth. And one final note, it's a bummer that elf is 6.99 instead of 4.99 like the rest cause I would love to send that in.

#11 Magikarp830

Magikarp830

SPLASH had no effect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

I'm in... gonna gather some titles. Particularly curious if Beetlejeuce looks better in Blu-Ray or not... (One way to find out...)

But one question: PAN'S LABYRINTH?? Who the hell bought that PoS?!? Most over-hyped garbage I've ever had the displeasure of being trapped in a movie theater watching! I wouldn't take a copy of that movie if it were FREE! Or rather, I would. But only to crush, burn, and then launch to the moon.

#12 Neo Queen Serenity

Neo Queen Serenity

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:09 PM

I might do this to finally get rid of my american history x snapper case. I would take advantage more but a lot of the titles I have special editions instead of the bare bones release which makes it harder to send in. Like True Romance and Pans Labrynth. And one final note, it's a bummer that elf is 6.99 instead of 4.99 like the rest cause I would love to send that in.

You should be able to send in the special edition version of the dvds.

Here is something from the help section

http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html

Q: My DVD is a special version of the movie on DVD2Blu.com. Is it still eligible? A: Yes, we will accept special versions. For example, the Superman Returns DVD included in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition is an eligible trade-in for the Superman Returns Blu-ray. However, a Superman Bonus Materials DVD is not eligible.

#13 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

You should be able to send in the special edition version of the dvds.

Here is something from the help section

http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html

Q: My DVD is a special version of the movie on DVD2Blu.com. Is it still eligible? A: Yes, we will accept special versions. For example, the Superman Returns DVD included in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition is an eligible trade-in for the Superman Returns Blu-ray. However, a Superman Bonus Materials DVD is not eligible.

I figured they would take it my problem is more the justification on my end. I love my dvd collection and I'm a sucker for my special editions. I really like the way True crime is packaged and as much as I want the blu-ray I'm not sure it's worth the trade off for me.

#14 CAG 79

CAG 79

9 Year CAG Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

Here's my list of movies that I'll be sending for a total of $46.55:

Blazing Saddles
Blood Diamond
Blow
Elf
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (Unrated)
Last Samurai
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Tango & Cash

Not bad considering that I bought most of those for about $2.50 each at Blockbuster.

#15 batmundo

batmundo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:52 AM

Any idea when this program will last til?

#16 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:03 AM

You do get the blu-ray case and all like a new copy, right? I noticed you only send in the DVDs without the cases.

#17 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:07 AM

I only own Shoot 'em Up (already double dipped ala Hastings sale earlier this year) and The Aviator. Rock n' Rolla isn't a catalog title yet apparently. I already own quite a few of these on HD DVD anyway.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

Elf DVD has a widescreen and standard separate DVD in the package. So I'm not really losing anything with that one except the crappy 4:3 one. I was just short of free shipping. At least 4 of the 5 I ordered were ones I probably would have bought on BD anyway.

What sux is I bet they send me the original BD of Christmas Vacation and not the new one. Can't believe BD has that many double dips already.

#19 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:26 AM

Edit: The FAQ says what you receive is the retail packaging as if you bought it in a store, so that's solid. The 5 movies I own from the list would cost me about $32 after shipping.

Yes, I'm also wondering if they send you just a BR disc or the entire package.

#20 Dr.Zoidberg

Dr.Zoidberg

Death by Snu-Snu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:30 AM

Was this the program where some people had problems with Casablanca and a couple of others?
Sheriff Lucas Buck: Conscience is just the fear of getting caught.

Tyler Durden: We have jobs we dont like to buy sh!t we don't need

#21 Chairman_LMAO

Chairman_LMAO

The Talent

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

With DVD2Blu
Posted ImageBlazing Saddles$4.95Posted ImageL.A. Confidential$6.95Posted ImageMask, The$4.95Posted ImageOcean's Eleven$4.95Posted ImageSpeed Racer$6.95
Total: $28.75

with Amazon
Ocean's Eleven $16.99
Blazing Saddles $11.49
The Mask $16.49
L.A. Confidential $14.99
Speed Racer* $10.00

Total: $69.96

Looks like i would save more money with DVD 2 Blu then Amazon.

*Amazon did not have a speed racer in stock so i went with Walmart who had the lowest price.

If you order less than $35 worth of Blus, you get charged $4.95 for shipping. That's what he was getting at. Plus, I know you can find lower prices for those titles you listed. If you've got at least a $35 order, this program is totally worth it. I'm gonna raid my dvd collection tomorrow.

#22 cmb00

cmb00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

hit your local movie gallery to hook op on cheap movies then update them to blus.

#23 jupiterjones

jupiterjones

WHAT THE CUSS!?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

While I do have some of the movies listed on the site....I realized I already have the ones I would like to upgrade already on Blu. Oh well. A good deal if you haven't started the switch.

And like said above, the Hollywood Video clearance would be a good place to pick up some cheap dvds, since condition apparently doesn't matter.

Jupiter_Jones.png

Check out my blog on music, gaming, wrestling, movies etc etc. It doesn't totally suck!

http://abloggymess.com/

#24 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hmmmm...thinking about doing this even though I don't have a BR player yet.

#25 Naramie

Naramie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

I figured they would take it my problem is more the justification on my end. I love my dvd collection and I'm a sucker for my special editions. I really like the way True crime is packaged and as much as I want the blu-ray I'm not sure it's worth the trade off for me.

That's the only movie that I have that I probably wouldn't trade up eventhough it is Blu-ray I like the style of the casing. I also have it for Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. I might make a stop to Rasputin or some used media place and see if if they have a cheap used copy of it that I could swap.

#26 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.

#27 manthing

manthing

etc, etc, etc, etc,

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

Was this the program where some people had problems with Casablanca and a couple of others?

No, that was the :hd:2:br: program.

When that program first started, we were led to believe that we'd be getting the Ultimate Collector's Edition version of Casablanca shown here:

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B001EL6EH2

WBShop stalled the orders with Casablanca and rushed production of a non-retail single disc edition that wasn't shrink-wrapped, as seen here:

http://www.amazon.co...73416457&sr=1-3

But WBShop was good enough to not charge us for it though. :roll:
dont hate the player or the game just hate your salf

#28 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.

That's a hell of a blanket statement. Off the top of my head, the Qmx Enterprise that came with the BD is a real nice collectable not readily available elsewhere.

#29 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'm surprised it took til the second page for someone to reach the conclusion I did immediately: MG/HWV clearances for $1-2 a pop would work great for this since only the disc is required. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#30 Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Add me on PSN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

What about fullscreen dvds? My parents collection has a ton of full screen dvds even though I tried to tell them for years that they'd be pissed when they finally got an hdtv. Now they have a hdtv and a blu ray player and tons of garbage fullscreen dvds that are of no use to anyone.

Edited by Treythalomew, 09 May 2010 - 10:35 PM.

Posted Image