CAGcast #198: Techtonic Farts

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

This week's show features E3 predictions, excessive name-dropping, EA's Online Pass, Lost Planet 2, 3D Dot Heroes, your CAGbag and Twitter questions, and much more!

Download - 101 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 13 May 2010 - 06:23 AM.

#2 E*Master

E*Master

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

Perfect! I just smoked a bowl and a CAGcast will do great right now! I actually recorded it on my audioboo ;) lol
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Wombat's chops, and hating on PETA.

My CAG Blog

#3 DJmizuhara

DJmizuhara

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:25 AM

Cheers Cheapy...perfect timing for my drive home from work. :D

#4 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

"Techtonic Farts", sounds like another classy cagcast...

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 whywakeup

whywakeup

The Chief .

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

Snice !
Posted Image

#6 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

Way to transition from glory holes into mothers day.

Lost Planet 2 sounds fine, basically it does look like a take on the Monster Hunter formula, and I've been waiting for that to come to a console that has dual analogs, plus MH probably just isnt your cup of tea anyway, Im looking forward to playing it. As far as losing the story, do you really miss it? It was completely silly.

Edited by volt1up, 13 May 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#7 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

Nice 2 year old discussion of the Wii Shop Channel stuff guys. You can link the stuff to your Club Nintendo account, but nothing is guaranteed; however, it's your best bet. It's the reason I don't download from their shop a lot anymore. If Nintendo continues down this path, and doesn't work out something for pre-existing customers (mainly for a Wii to Wii HD (?)), it could like to a lot of people to resort to piracy of those older games, and in turn, newer games.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#8 PaddedCell

PaddedCell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

I just noticed the coupon for domains from godaddy went up in price... lame...well least i got one for the original discount...

#9 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Nice 2 year old discussion of the Wii Shop Channel stuff guys. You can link the stuff to your Club Nintendo account, but nothing is guaranteed; however, it's your best bet. It's the reason I don't download from their shop a lot anymore. If Nintendo continues down this path, and doesn't work out something for pre-existing customers (mainly for a Wii to Wii HD (?)), it could like to a lot of people to resort to piracy of those older games, and in turn, newer games.

Meanwhile, after we finished recording, I got a PM from a CAG who just bought a new black Wii. He has over $1000 in downloads that he can't transfer over.

#10 mrn111

mrn111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

"Techtonic Farts", sounds like another classy cagcast...

Sounds like a Funkadelic album title.

#11 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Wahoooooo!! New CAGcast!!!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#12 TheJerseyKush

TheJerseyKush

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Meanwhile, after we finished recording, I got a PM from a CAG who just bought a new black Wii. He has over $1000 in downloads that he can't transfer over.

ouch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hey guys, quick clarification. When you play EA games online, you are definitely playing on EA servers. You might remember that EA will shut down servers to games they deem old or unpopular. For example, EA shut down servers to their older versions of the Madden and NBA games. People were forced to migrate to the newer versions in order to play online.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Online Pass either, Cheapy. But if people are paying money now and they still shut down servers to games that have Online Passes, then EA is evil.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#14 Jake Tower

Jake Tower

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

On the EA "pay to play used copies" issue and server cost, used game users accessing EA servers puts no additional strain on the servers. Only one person can use a copy of a game at a time. So when the original user sells his copy, the next owner just takes his "place" in the potential server population.
Posted Image

#15 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Good episode this week! Loved Shipwrecks review of Lost Planet 2 the best. The money line during that discussion was "Capcom makes games that look like Americans would like, but play like games Japanese like" (or something like that).

If I send you guys a picture of my poop - can I get some stickers?

#16 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Stankin' ass bitches, they need to wash up. Don't get mad because I don't want to Fuck. You need, soap and water, soap and water, soap and water, soap and water.

Best intro ever.

#17 WankerJist

WankerJist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Personally, I am not excited for the Gary Coleman edition Xbox 360. It makes sense since they are trying to compete with the PS3 Slim market share, but really? I'm on my third 360 because of red ringing and I don't see how this can help. If they manufacture it better, I'm sold, but until then I'm skeptical. What could be in those extra inches we're losing that could improve performance? (Obligatory that's what she said.)

#18 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

this is my first ever time to listen to a CAGcast and holy F you guys go for 101 mins?? crazy!! keep up the good work :)

#19 Leggo

Leggo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Not to be the English police, but the word is "tectonic" :(

#20 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

Consider me shocked, honestly and deeply shocked, over the lack of reaction to the EA Online Pass system. I, myself, am torn over the issue however I'm one of those dirty, dirty bastards who enjoys DLC. The enemy to the show in several ways. However, with the online pass and now money actually exchanging hands, I have to wonder what impact, if any, this will have on EA's tendacy to close servers. What I mean is this, count the days until Bad Company 1 can no longer be played online (if that day hasn't already passed), Skate 2 becomes road kill, and Madden 2010 empties it's arenas. With EA running the servers, the threat of shutdown hits every title they publish. Hint, this isn't an EA exclusive deal either. I have plenty of 360 and PS3 games that now have no servers. With EA now actively charging for the online servers, does this now obligate them to keep them open?

Having said that, I'd like to chime in on the DLC debate. There IS good and bad in this field and while the costume packs of Super Street Fighter IV absolutely deserved the ire they gain, think about Wipeout HD Fury Pack. $10 essentially doubles the content of a $20 game. And think about how bland Rock Band would be if you couldn't expand it nearly infinitely (personally, my copy of Rock Band 2 has over 400 songs, with 47 to be added June 8th). Map packs, additional episodes, all of these things can help boost a game beyond it's initial purchase. Despite the crews opinion otherwise, the good DLC isn't stuff that would have been in the game, but rather the stuff that would have remained chopped or even held back for a "Directors Cut" or Expansion Pack. And I don't mind if they are planned at the beginning. Why? Because as a 3D artist myself, I know my job is done relatively early in a games cycle. Aside from having masses of artists suddenly unemployed, it keeps us busy between the time one projects art assets are finished and another project is ramping up. In the old days, we would be hired guns, wandering between studios, but nowadays DLC has added stability to an unusually unstable job profession. While I now work in flight simulation, I had a bunch of friends who essentially moved every 8-10 months and aside from one, most are now over 5 years living in one spot.

As to your book analogy, I'm afraid it too falls flat. More often than not, should a book become a huge success, further printings often include "insider info," research notes, new epilogues leading into sequels, forewords by other authors, after words provided by the authors, sometimes even maps and in the case of fantasy novels, translation notes from whatever variant of gibberty joob joob this author made up to add "realism" to his/her hippie elf commune. And this is all before the trilogy collections drop... books, despite being in print, do have a LOT of DLC. In fact, the entire text book industry is built around the model. The reason why we don't hear about it that often is because 90% of books are expected to fail.

#21 odin08

odin08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Great singers voice cheapy. :lol:

#22 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

If you remember Rocket Knight Adventures for the Sega Genesis, and you had the chance to play it back in the day and have fun with it's quirky, plaftorming action (which means you're not a 12 year old kid who thinks the only way to have fun with games is by giving headshots and camping on Modern Warfare 2), you should at least try out the Rocket Knight demo. I had fun with it, although I would definitely wait for it to go on sale ($10.00/800 MS points should be fine I guess).

#23 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm surprised at how short-sighted everyone is being about this EA situation. There are many variables that no one seems to be considering.

First off, we have no idea how this will effect multi-gamer homes. Have any of you considered that people in your own home may have to pay $10.00 to play online even if you bought the game new? If the online pass is linked to your EA account, anyone in your home other than you might have to pay to play online.

Second, how can you say EA doesn't make any money from used games? Their games are filled to the brim with in game advertising. It doesn't matter if the game was new or used, when the ad loads in, EA gets paid. Valve or Bethesda, sure, they might not make money off of used games, but EA is getting advertising revenue.

Third, I think the biggest issue is if this is for games using EA's servers exclusively. It's one thing to ask for more revenue when gamers will be using their servers. However, to charge for P2p online that uses Xbox's matchmaking servers (which we're already paying for) would be downright criminal.

Finally, I'd like to understand why video games and movies are the only industries allowed to punish the used market. Used Books, Furniture, Cars, Televisions, MP3 players, Gaming Consoles, etc. are all perfectly ok despite the original manufacturer making no money off of the sale. It's the movie and video game industries that suffer exclusively from this dastardly business practice.

We're going to have to wait and see where EA takes this, but their current direction and everyone's complacency with it doesn't offer much comfort.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#24 ObiBen

ObiBen

Form Titan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Another great show. I am glad that someone finally mentioned the issue with not being able to transfer downloaded content between Wii systems. I too hope that Nintendo would figure out some kind of strategy for this.

Wombat, I will never be able to play another EA game without thinking about Tectonic Farts.

Damn you Cheapy for getting that pooping song stuck in my head.

Ship, keep up the good work.

#25 Jasonofindy

Jasonofindy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Regarding 3D Dot Game Heroes and Wombat-

The "Install" option is the last choice on the main screen with "Continue", "New Game", etc. The load times pretty much disappear when installed.

As far as your black bar issue, I think I might know the problem. The "button guide" can be shut off in the options menu. It is the translucent black bar in the lower right corner of the screen. At least on mine this bar shuts off. However, when on it doesn't really block much of the screen and it wasn't the black obstruction that first grabbed my attention.

I could be wrong and it might have just been my experience, but I'm guessing you were already in a dungeon when you first noticed the obstructed view. If so, then it is actually the bottom wall of the room you are in and not a screen overlay. Because of the game's isometric view this wall covers almost the entire bottom row of squares in many dungeon rooms occasionally obscuring enemies or the moving spike traps. I haven't found it to be too big a deal most of the time, but I agree that it can be annoying when it does obscure an enemy. There is not much that you can do about it unless they patch the game to make this wall semi-transparent or to put a slight glow or outline around enemies and the player when you are behind something.

Again, I could be totally wrong, but I found the dungeon lower wall obstruction to be much more distracting than the small button overlay and thought it might be what you were noticing since you thought you had already turned the overlay off.

Also, I've finished the first two dungeons and so far I am loving the game except for this one tiny issue. (which isn't that big of deal.)

#26 prence

prence

Yeah, I'm pretty awesome.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

This EA Online Pass thing is absolutely infuriating. As it is, they expect people to spend $60 every year for what is essentially a roster update plus some minor game tweaks. There is not that much of a difference year-to-year between games yet EA doesn't see a problem charging full price for it.

I guess I see more of a problem with it when it comes to Madden because gamers don't have any other choice because of the licensing issues. It isn't the same with the NHL series because there is more than one game to choose from.

Wasn't it earlier this year that EA said they were going to start shutting down their sports servers as soon as the next year's title comes out? It would be awesome to pay for a used copy of NHL '11, spend $10 to play online, then watch the servers get turned off a few months later. How can you see nothing wrong with that?

Edited by prence, 13 May 2010 - 07:51 PM.
Rage.

Remote parties restarted the matchmaking process.

#27 Han Solo

Han Solo

Chewy Get Us Out of Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Great show as always...

I thought we paid 50 bucks a year to play online with xbox live. Now we have to potentially pay an extra 10 bucks. Also, EA does indirectly benefit from used game sales because some people buy new EA games with the credit they get from trading in old EA games.
And all our claims to freedom have become these heavy chains
And in the name of rights we keep filling nameless graves

#28 MARS one

MARS one

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

cheapy, i think the fact that you dont buy used games or that none of you guys on the cagcast are really big sports games guys is affecting your views on this whole online pass matter. i honestly felt the same as you do, because it doesnt really affect me too much but i read a comment on destructoid that turned me around completely. the comment was in reply to how game companies have to make up the money lost from used games somehow

"games companies don't profit from used games sales, and money has to be made somehow"

Actually, it doesn't "have to be made", they simply want the extra money, and have the ability to milk it out of you. It all goes back to the fact that game companies feel entitled to a cut of secondhand sales, even though no other physical media (music, movies, books) enjoys the same luxury. Game companies are special as far as they're concerned, and since they're actually capable of crippling your experience, they have finally decided to do just that.

Even though they already received money for the original purchase, and since the original owner has since sold the game, that secondhand sale will not increase the amount of strain/use of their online services; but they still somehow feel justified in holding online play hostage until you pay them again for that disc they've already sold once before, and they didn't even have to pay to get it back! This is nothing more than a money grab, disguised as cleverly as possible as something reasonable. Credit to EA for going so far to make it look acceptable, but poo on this continued drive to milk every last cent out of gamers' pockets.

what do you think?

#29 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

Regarding 3D Dot Game Heroes and Wombat-

The "Install" option is the last choice on the main screen with "Continue", "New Game", etc. The load times pretty much disappear when installed.

As far as your black bar issue, I think I might know the problem. The "button guide" can be shut off in the options menu. It is the translucent black bar in the lower right corner of the screen. At least on mine this bar shuts off. However, when on it doesn't really block much of the screen and it wasn't the black obstruction that first grabbed my attention.

I could be wrong and it might have just been my experience, but I'm guessing you were already in a dungeon when you first noticed the obstructed view. If so, then it is actually the bottom wall of the room you are in and not a screen overlay. Because of the game's isometric view this wall covers almost the entire bottom row of squares in many dungeon rooms occasionally obscuring enemies or the moving spike traps. I haven't found it to be too big a deal most of the time, but I agree that it can be annoying when it does obscure an enemy. There is not much that you can do about it unless they patch the game to make this wall semi-transparent or to put a slight glow or outline around enemies and the player when you are behind something.

Again, I could be totally wrong, but I found the dungeon lower wall obstruction to be much more distracting than the small button overlay and thought it might be what you were noticing since you thought you had already turned the overlay off.

Also, I've finished the first two dungeons and so far I am loving the game except for this one tiny issue. (which isn't that big of deal.)

Thank you, I will try all of this :)

#30 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

My first thought when I heard about the EA plan was "Good, maybe gamestop will drop the prices of used games".

Actually, all of your analogies were terrible. I think Ship hit the nail on the head when he said "DLC could be anything". It is not one monolithic entity. Sometimes it is minor stuff added on (costumes), sometimes it is stuff that would've been included in the old days (game ending in Prince of Persia), sometimes it is completely extra gameplay (Fallout 3 expansions). I think some DLC is justified and some is not.

And Wombat, do you watch How I Met Your Mother? You are the douche that Ted was when you start lecturing on the topics for which you have some knowledge.

Edited by usickenme, 13 May 2010 - 10:24 PM.