Photo
- - - - -

GameStop TIV & Promos: Old thread. Please check first/last post for new link!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2673 replies to this topic

#1 JP

JP

Member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

New thread HERE: http://www.cheapassg...d.php?p=7320653

I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.

Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Upcoming Promos:

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

360 Slim Trade-Up Promo - $100 Trade-in Credit Toward Slim Purchase.(Ends 7/11/2010)NO PRE-ORDERS, YMMV ON RESERVE LISTS.
NOTE: Currently the promo is not automatically activating on the computers and are requiring manual input. This will allow for extra credit through EDGE on the accessories and get the $25 hardware bonus on top, putting it at $125, if the employee doesn't remove it like they were supposed to. This will be fixed so take advantage while you can.
Spoiler

Trade 3 games, get an extra $10 Credit. Ends 6/27/10)
Spoiler

$25 Hardware Bonus (End 6/27/10.)
Spoiler

Guaranteed $25 trade-in value on select games. (Ends 6/27/10.)
Spoiler

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
Spoiler

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value:
$0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the EDGE card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above. They will not, however, take RROD 360 consoles. There may be stores that still do it, but official policy is to not take them in.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
No Information Yet: Connecticut, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Dakota

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has DS/PSP/GBA values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by JP, 18 June 2010 - 06:51 PM.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#2 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

*DISCLAIMER* These prices and dates are supplied by the CAG community, and as such there aren't always regular updates on every title. The dates at the edge of each game give an idea of when it last received that amount. If the quote is older than 3 days, the likelihood is that the value went down. Not always the case but something to keep in mind. If there is no date by the game, it means it hasn't been traded in since io originally started the thread. These values are always just a way to give an idea of what to expect, not actual returns. There is no guarantee involved that these prices are 100% accurate.

:360:
Spoiler
[COLOR=Gray]

:wii:
[/COLOR]
Spoiler
[COLOR=Gray]

:ps3:
[/COLOR]
Spoiler

Edited by JP, 18 June 2010 - 02:31 PM.

all-banner.jpg

#3 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

*DISCLAIMER* These prices and dates are supplied by the CAG community, and as such there aren't always regular updates on every title. The dates at the edge of each game give an idea of when it last received that amount. If the quote is older than 3 days, the likelihood is that the value went down. Not always the case but something to keep in mind. If there is no date by the game, it means it hasn't been traded in since io originally started the thread. These values are always just a way to give an idea of what to expect, not actual returns. There is no guarantee involved that these prices are 100% accurate.

:ps2:
Spoiler

:gc:
Spoiler

Edited by JP, 18 June 2010 - 02:06 PM.

all-banner.jpg

#4 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

:ds:
Spoiler

:psp:
Spoiler

:gba:
Spoiler

Edited by JP, 18 June 2010 - 02:12 PM.

all-banner.jpg

#5 daminion

daminion

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Shiny new thread!

#6 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for all your hard work JP :applause:

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#7 jiggyteddy

jiggyteddy

Frugal As Can Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks jp.

I'm just waiting on other trade in deals from GS during this period.
Posted Image
Totally legit rewards app! Join shopkick on your smartphone then use promo code: tomato6347 to get 50 kicks instantly! I earned $360 in BB certificates for calendar year 2012 thanks to shopkick!

Now playing:
Metal Gear Rising, Fight Night Champion, and Dynasty Warriors 7.

My twitter is @jiggyteddy for my random ramblings...

#8 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Wait, so when does the hardware bonus take effect? It says runs until 6/6 but is listed in upcoming promos? Little confused by that. But thanks as always JP.

#9 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

I haven't moved the other promos out of the upcoming section yet until I see the full information on GameStop.com.

all-banner.jpg

#10 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

Minty fresh new thread smell.

#11 freeorelse

freeorelse

Not in the Sandbox!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

What smells in here? Thanks for the work OP!

Damn right. After all, why should I have to shit stain my undies when I could buy them pre stained.:whee:

[chipinsig]07e4f48f08550a61[/chipinsig]

#12 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

I will buy you a new thread, perfect shiny and new... wait, what?

#13 loc0bob

loc0bob

Lurking Like a Boss

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

A few trade values from yesterday.....

Rogue Warrior (360) - $7.00
Unreal Tournament (PS3) - $2.75
Chrono Trigger (DS) - $5.00
Half-Life 2 - Orange Box (360) - $6.00
Currently Playing
PS3 - GT6
PS4 - Destiny
X360 - Tiger Woods 2014
XB1 - Titanfall, Madden, AC Black Flag
Recently Beat - Wolfenstein - TNO, Killzone - SF, Fable Anniversary, Ryse, Resident Evil REV, Stick of Truth

#14 BmBoWnZ

BmBoWnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

That's fresh. I wanna know when the deal officially starts so I can trade in my DS with that extra $25 :)

Posted Image

#15 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

thanks !
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#16 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Reading the FAQ, dwelling on a recent incident I had with Gamestop trying to trade in a Wii.

"What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
"Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar""

I was told at, not one, but two Gamestops that the console stand is required as well. (I would also be docked for missing the "door" that covers the GameCube controller ports). I don't know if this is just GAmestop stupidity, or new policy (or old policy since this was during the "Get a Black Wii for $50!" sale, though I just wanted straight credit).

Not that I care anymore, but I just wanted to know if somethings changed or if I was just outright lied to.

#17 JP

JP

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

It might be a local policy in your area set by a DM. It could also be a new policy but I can't say for certain. This is the first I've heard of that being required. The door for the gamecube stuff isn't surprising though.

#18 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

EDGE still applies on cash trades for games, jp. But as listed in the first post other promos do NOT.

Just figured I'd clarify that. So in the end, they deduct 20% for taking cash but you get 10% of it back by using the EDGE card.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#19 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

Always glad to see a clean thread... thanks jp!
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#20 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Do they take DS models with ANY kind of defect?

I have a Phat DS with HUGE screen crack on top screen that's like a black hole on top.(Somebody stepped on it, don't know who)

I have a DS Lite with the hinge problem, meaning the hinge on the right shoulder cracked and now the screen just flies open and the top screen has a blue tint to it. (Sisters, who now has a new one)

I also have a DS who just won't lock in place. Like you open it and it won't lock in the place you opened it to, it'll close if tilted the wrong way or open if titled one way.

Will they take any of those? I don't care about deductions, just don't feel like fixing them or anything.

Posted Image

#21 BmBoWnZ

BmBoWnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have a Phat DS with HUGE screen crack on top screen that's like a black hole on top.(Somebody stepped on it, don't know who)

I have a DS Lite with the hinge problem, meaning the hinge on the right shoulder cracked and now the screen just flies open and the top screen has a blue tint to it. (Sisters, who now has a new one)

I also have a DS who just won't lock in place. Like you open it and it won't lock in the place you opened it to, it'll close if tilted the wrong way or open if titled one way.

Will they take any of those? I don't care about deductions, just don't feel like fixing them or anything.

You should just get refurb fees taken off of your trade-in values. Idk bout the screen crack though...

Posted Image

#22 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

so glad 30% is extended!

#23 SteelSD

SteelSD

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I just traded in two broken DS Lite units. Refurb fee applied, but the $25 bonus applied as well. One turned on but had no sound or video. The other would not read games and had a couple deep scratches in the top screen. They didn't have any major physical damage, but I don't think you should have an issue with at least the last two units and they may take the phat DS as well. If there's no visible damage to the last one, you may even be able to avoid a refurb fee if you get the right person behind the counter. The worst you can do is try.

#24 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

base tiv from today (5/17):

Guitar Hero: Metallica :360: 10.00
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga :360: 12.00
Dark Void :360: 7.00

MildObstruction.png

#25 xFatalFlaw

xFatalFlaw

Dango Daikazoku!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

I would think they would take the last two DS's but I'm not quite sure about the screen crack. I know for a fact they will take the hinge problem DS because someone recently traded one in with that defect. I don't know if you'll get seperate bonuses on each DS though unless you went in at different times.

#26 jterp7

jterp7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

it just occurred to me that the TIVs of 2 of the mario games I traded in are only 31.XX w/ the 30% bonus..in other words the 40 off for galaxy would've been a better deal..problem is I still have the $10 from SSFIV on amazon to use..and there's the $20 future credit from amazon on top of that if I let the order go through..what to do.

#27 eddie291

eddie291

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

:360:

Splinter Cell Conviction - $25

:ps3:

God of War 3 - $20
Heavy Rain - $24
Posted Image

#28 dserafin1986

dserafin1986

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

TIV Base Value from my trades on 5/13/10

DSi - System - 80
PS2 - Wireless Controller - 3
PS2 - Mem Card(Sony 8MB) - 3
Wii - Classic Contr. - 5.50
PS2 - Slim System - 25
Wii - Component Cable - 4.50
DS - Metal Slug 7 - 4.25
DS - Metroid Prime Hunters - 5.25
DS - Ace Attorney Investigations - 6.50
DS - Sonic Classic Collection - 8.75
DS - Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 5
DS - Advance Wars Days of Ruin - 2.25
DS - Trauma Center Under the Knife - 3.25
DS - Mario Kart - 10.50
PS2 - Madden 10 - 13.50
PS2 - MLB 10 - 9.25
PS2 - FIFA 10 - 9.00
PS2 - Hitman Blood Money - 2
PS2 - Black - 2.25
PS2 - Burnout Dominator - 2.50
PS2 - GTA Vice City - 2.00
PS2 - GTA San Andreas - 5.00
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2 - .80 (lol)

#29 wreckemtexastech

wreckemtexastech

Red Raidin' CAGer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hell ya! New thread thanks jp, now if only I was in time to take it's ver-sheen!! Maybe next time

#30 Armor42

Armor42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

So would I be able to trade in a red-ringed, out of warranty 360 w/ a wireless controller (and crappy dead battery) for (90-50+25) = $65 credit!?
[URL="http://raptr.com/Armor42?src=em_ach"]Posted Image[/URL]