• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

As all of you Nintendo fans know, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the first game revealed at Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference. To celebrate the announcement of a new Zelda game, I am going to marathon play (over the course of a few weeks) through every Legend of Zelda game. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play every Zelda game, and of the ones I've played, many I haven't been able to complete. However, I would love to finally play through them all.

While I go on my journey through the years of Zelda, I would love it if some CAGs would join me. If you were to join me through any, or all games, just comment below and we can discuss the games while we play.

If you are interested, just comment here and begin playing the original Legend of Zelda on the NES. We'll go through each Zelda game in order of release, but we may have to decide if certain Zelda games are worth our time (I'm looking at you Zelda CD-i games).

Hope to see some CAGs join me on my multiple journeys through Hyrule :)

#2 foltzie

foltzie

Strell where art thou?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

I'm intrigued enough to consider this at least for some of the trip.

#3 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

I was supposed to write this yesterday, but I forgot. So here it is today!

On the first day of my journey, I made some pretty good progress. I began with The Legend of Zelda on the NES. I am currently on my way to the 5th dungeon and I have collected all of the heart containers that I possibly can (I'm at 12 hearts). I also got the white sword and the magic shield, along with the blue ring.

I hope to finish up the game either today or tomorrow, and then move onto Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

#4 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Interesting thread, nice idea.

I hope Skyward Sword is a refreshing experience, similar to how Wind Waker was refreshing.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#5 M-PG71C

M-PG71C

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

You know, I have never really played Link's Awakening and I have both the black and white and the DX color version. I'll join ya on the Color version lol :D (either is fine, same game lol)
Posted Image

#6 Droenixjpn

Droenixjpn

The Waiting Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

You know what would be a great idea? If you Livestreamed the marathon with commentary (or not). It'd be an interesting time.

#7 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Unfortunately, I barely got to play Zelda today. I only made it through one dungeon, but I also found the power bracelet and the magic sword. I hope to do better tomorrow and maybe even finish it off. I have exams all week, but starting Friday I will be able to kick my Zelda time into high gear.

#8 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:52 AM

If you haven't ever played through Adventure of Link, prepare for a raping towards the end. The walk to the final dungeon will take years off your life.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#9 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

I already finished Link to the Past after returning from E3. I once played through it 3 times in 1 weekend. Of course, I was a kid with nothing better to do. But it still sounds like a fun time even now.

#10 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

I played Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess last summer. If I didn't have such a big backlog, I wouldn't mind trying to finish the rest. But I can't get into LoZ despite several attempts, Zelda II isn't worth the trouble, and I don't have the patience to hunt for Triforce pieces in Wind Waker (I've beat it twice, both times I took several months off when I got to the triforce hunt).

#11 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I've only beaten from wind waker forward (wind waker, minish cap, twilight princess, phantom hourglass). I haven't gotten spirit tracks, but I've played the others (besides the GB ones). I don't think I'll ever play through the NES ones, but I'd like to finish link to the past and ocarina of time some day at least (maybe majora's mask).

Posted Image

#12 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

Sadly, no progress at all today :( Damn exams! However, Friday is getting closer-and-closer. Starting Friday, I'll be able to kick my Zelda playing up to multiple hours per day. So close, yet so far...

#13 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

Update is a day late again, sorry ;)

Anyway, I beat the second last dungeon and I'm on my way to the last. Tomorrow (which I'll update later tonight) I should be done with the game. I actually have some more free time as I'm doing exams now that aren't quite as difficult. Friday is getting closer! :bouncy:

#14 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

LTTP (late to the party, not....Link to the...nevermind), but I'm actually in process of doing this as well. Finished the NES Zeldas last week and am currently on the third dungeon of the Dark World in LTTP.

It's weird the things I remember versus the things I don't. You walked on the ocean in Zelda 2? How in the hell did I forget that?

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#15 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

Maybe this would be better as a blog?
Posted Image

#16 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

You forgot about Link-Jesus, Strell?

#17 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

First you get de boots.

Den you walk on water.

Den you get de wemen.

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#18 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:17 AM

Finally beat The Legend of Zelda. It was a really great game, although a little simplistic compared to the others (but what can you expect from the first game in the series and on such limiting hardware?) One thing I really didn't like was how difficult it was to find everything and the convoluted messages that most of the time don't even make sense (whether that's intentional or some translation mistakes).

Now I'm onto Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I'm not too excited for this one as it isn't like the other Zelda's, but it must be completed!

Also, I'm just going to change this into a blog. I thought it might be better here in the forums, as to not fill up the blogs, but what the hell, I'll do it anyway :D.

#19 kevlar51

kevlar51

eats babies

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

Sorry, but you've gotta play through the second quest on Legend of Zelda before you move on.

#20 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

First you get de boots.

Den you walk on water.

Den you get de wemen.

Oh Strell, you fox.

#21 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Despite everyone's hatred for Zelda II it's an amazing game. Play it. Have fun. Downward thrust = amazing Upward is nice too. Make sure you jump attack those knights. That is all.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#22 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

I am playing through Link's Awakening right now for what seems like the billionth time. It's probably my favorite of all the top down Zeldas (or maybe A Link to the Past depending on my mood). It is so freaking great and I wish the newer games would take a page out of its playbook. I love how you can't just go directly from one dungeon to the next - you need to find the keys to open them and sometimes to find the keys you need to complete other tasks. All of this makes the overworld exploration not only necessary but more rewarding.

EDIT: Zelda II is awesome. In 1988 it was hard as balls to beat with no internet. Don't spoil it.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#23 sirerosennin

sirerosennin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Currently playing through Majora's Mask (nearly finished..started before E3) and Twilight Princess (just finished first dungeon).

But yeah, I think I Will go back and play some of the older ones..

#24 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Finished up LTTP tonight.

Fucking Ganon up feels so good every time I do it. I also forgot just how damn annoying his tower is, with all the ice floors and conveyor belts and spikes. As good as most of the dungeons are (which, for the record, are WAY shorter than I remember them being), the last one is on overdrive. Managed to only die three times throughout the game and got 19 hearts. Feels good man, especially getting all the extra equipment despite not remembering everything.

I think Zelda 2 is underrated, for the record. I full consider it "bigger" than Zelda 1, fully creating a sense that you are - indeed! - taking Link on a grand adventure. I always felt that made the world of Hyrule much more real and vibrant overall, while giving a wholly new gameplay experience. I actually LIKE that the dungeons are called palaces - for some reason, this tiny change makes them feel much more grand and ancient, like they've always existed. "Dungeon" for me connote the idea that, say, someone stuck a bunch of monsters near an item to protect it. Palace entails something being built for the express purpose of housing something.

Also, it's weird how when I played LTTP this time, I noticed a huge amount of throwbacks to the NES games. I mean I remember playing back in the day and noticing this too, but being that it was so fresh this time around, there's a LOT more "oh hey look" moments.

Anyway, will probably start OoT tomorrow. Can't wait.

Posted Image

#25 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now through the Virtual Console. If I beat any other Zelda game, it'll be Majora's Mask, but I'm not making any commitments beyond that.

I just beat the Forest Temple
Spoiler
. I think it's bad that I'm playing with a Classic Controller Pro though. The thing was not designed with Nintendo 64 games in mind.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#26 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

The Forest Dungeon is tricky. I especially hate that creepy music in it.

#27 Morrigan Lover

Morrigan Lover

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I played through both Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages this month.

Seasons was definitely more fun than Ages. Some of the Ages side quests made absolutly no sense. Also, the Ages overworld had too much water.
Posted Image

#28 M-PG71C

M-PG71C

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

I loved Zelda II, its my favorite one of them all! Then again, I have a tendency to like the black sheep's in the series (Another example being Ys III).
Posted Image

#29 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:41 AM

I will probably marathon play the console zeldas... (excluding cdi) couple months before launch of this game.

i havent played zelda 2, majoras, and tp all the way through... so its time to slay the backlog beast.

#30 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

I loved Zelda II, its my favorite one of them all! Then again, I have a tendency to like the black sheep's in the series (Another example being Ys III).

I don't know if Adventure of Link is my favorite but it might be the one I respect the most due to its presentation.

The other Zelda games can be difficult because of tricky puzzles or hidden items. That difficulty can be almost entirely mitigated by using FAQs or just by playing through it with another person. With Zelda 2, you can know exactly what you have to do but actually pulling it off remains a challenge.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid