RPG Thread VI needs a remake

• Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#1 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

Personally, I'm really sick of seeing "xxxx needs to be remade!", especially if "xxxx" is "FFVII", but then again, I've loved the Dragon Quest remakes so far and wouldn't mind FFV and FFVIII remakes.

I'm such a hypocrite :(

Anyway, new thread! Carry on.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#2 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I don't mind remakes, but yeah, I don't understand all the people clamoring for them. I'm excited as hell about OoT being "remade" for the 3DS in 3D, but a straight port to the regular DS would have been just as exciting for me.

And thanks for starting the new thread!
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#3 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

i like remakes and always buy them if it's a game I loved the first time around. they are pretty hit or miss though.

#4 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

@Icebeast

When you play AI 1 just know that you have three turns to beat the last boss, or else his super happy attack with make your game freeze up. Not 100% sure if this happens with all copies but I know its this way with mine.

Aslo Bloody Destiny > School Days

No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#5 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

So I've restarted playing Oblivion and I could care less if the entire game looks the same. I love this game.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#6 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

Speaking of ringtones, I just put Chocobo's theme as my ringtone. I love those adorable little birds.

fs_overall.png

#7 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

I like remakes because we're at a point where if Square's making something new, they'll probably just Fuck it up.

#8 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

@Icebeast]
When you play AI 1 just know that you have three turns to beat the last boss, or else his super happy attack with make your game freeze up. Not 100% sure if this happens with all copies but I know its this way with mine.

I had heard there was a problem like that with Ar Tonelico 2 with one of the last bosses, but I hadn't heard about it in Atelier Iris 1 and can't find anything about it by searching on-line but I'll keep it in mind.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#9 LostRoad

LostRoad

I just want to wake up.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Yeah there is that problem in AT 2 as well though it is much much easier to take that boss out. I think you have 4 turns, don't remember it's been awhile since I went though it. Though I know for a fact my copy of AI 1 has this problem with the last boss as well. Just something to keep an eye on/ plan for. Just gotta level up a little to do it, not that big of a deal.
No matter how good looking she is, some one some where is sick of her shit.

Posted Image

#10 dr_illingsworth

dr_illingsworth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hmm, my copy of AI 1 didn't have this problem. But I also heard the AT 2 bug could corrupt your memory card.

AI1 and 2 were pretty good, but I hated 3 for its quest-based structure.

#11 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Speaking of Ringtones. Here is mine:

Posted Image

#12 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Can you change the ringtone on the iphone to something other than the shitty, Apple-approved choices?

I'd kinda like Freek a leek.

#13 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Can you change the ringtone on the iphone to something other than the shitty, Apple-approved choices?

I don't think you can without jailbreaking. I don't really mind because I steadfastly refuse to make my phone sound like anything other than a phone.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#14 SinOfHeart

SinOfHeart

Teddie's #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

You can, without jail-breaking, here is a tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/...tones-free.html

Basically all you need to do is create a small clip that you want to use, then convert it to an AAC file (Apple's file compression), then just change the file extension to the one used by ringtones instead of audio files and sync that file to your phone.

662978.pngTeddie_Swimsuit_Sig.jpg
sig.gif

#15 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

http://www.siliconer...tion-as-a-base/

Looks like Ys: The Oath in Felghana is going to use fan translation as a base. Wish more publisher can do that.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#16 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

I like the remakes for the PSP and DS. RPGs really are better on a handheld so I'd like to see all the SNES and PS1 classics on either system.

#17 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I like the remakes for the PSP and DS. RPGs really are better on a handheld so I'd like to see all the SNES and PS1 classics on either system.

I agree. All the remakes on the PSP are great.

Although it's a bit overboard.. Many of the Sting games, and P3Portable after only 2 years on the PS2?!
Posted Image

#18 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Making real progress in the sixth stratum in Etrian Odyssey. Hopefully I'll have the whole thing mapped out by the end of the week.

Also picked up Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes off of Amazon for my upcoming trip, since I need something else to play besides Pokemon Platinum. Hooray for Prime!

http://www.siliconer...tion-as-a-base/

Looks like Ys: The Oath in Felghana is going to use fan translation as a base. Wish more publisher can do that.

Seems the translator is licensed, so not your ordinary fan translation. Still, very cool! I always did like Xseed.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#19 Cheska19

Cheska19

Fang Banger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

I think I may finally start Tales of Vesperia. I'm finally much more caught up on my RPG's, I beat Mass Effect 2 (which I absolutely loved) and now ToV is the only 360 game left for me to beat.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

ToV is excellent. It's basically all of the good things about the Tales series rolled up into one game.

#21 Cheska19

Cheska19

Fang Banger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

That's what I keep hearing, my only conflict comes from which of my versions I should play. I have an open CE version and a sealed regular version. I'm a little nervous about my 360 scratching my CE version...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

That's what I keep hearing, my only conflict comes from which of my versions I should play. I have an open CE version and a sealed regular version. I'm a little nervous about my 360 scratching my CE version...

Pick up a used copy to play. :P Anyway just be careful and you will be fine. Just wish Namco would bring over PS3 version...

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#23 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

I agree with this. I really liked the FFIII and FF Tactics on the DS. I also still play the hell out of the Chrono Trigger remake on the DS.

I also want to try out the FFIV remake on the DS.
Posted Image

#24 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Also picked up Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes off of Amazon for my upcoming trip, since I need something else to play besides Pokemon Platinum. Hooray for Prime!

I just started playing this a few days ago and I'm really digging it so far. Although, strangely enough, I find myself having trouble sleeping due to the battle system invading my dreams (or whatever it is when your thoughts start to drift as you're almost asleep). I used to have that problem when I played too much Dr Mario or tetris Attack right before bed, too :(

#25 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:58 AM

I'm a fan of makeovers of old classics like those that have come to the handheld systems, but asking for huge console recreations is a bit selfish and narrow minded IMO. I wouldn't want the gaming industry to go the route of hollywood when it's still so young.

The amount of resources and time it would take Square to remake something like FFVII with visuals equivalent to XIII's would be huge, and could better be spent on a new title that you know -- we haven't actually played before. I thought VII was a great game but nostalgia aside, it isn't the peak of gaming that needs to be experienced by every generation. And that's really what this all is, nostalgia. Developers that continue to pump out great software shouldn't be expected to favor the needs of an older generation.

That said, I'd buy a VII remake in a heartbeat. All I'm saying is that I'd always rather see large amount of resources go towards new ideas.

#26 Krymner

Krymner

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

Remakes? Eh, they're okay.

I really wouldn't mind seeing some PS2 RPG compilations, like Xenosaga, dot.hack, some SMT games (DDS 1-2, Nocturne, Persona, etc) Shadow Hearts, or even Wild Arms.

But I'd much rather have some new sequels of some RPGs that have been in limbo for awhile, like a new Chrono Trigger or Breath of Fire game or something like a Skies of Arcadia sequel or Phantasy Star 5.

#27 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

Do an install, then it only checks the disc for like 2 seconds.

PaulManda.png

#28 ForeStorm

ForeStorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Omg, remake Final Fantasy VII IX. :P

Does anyone else have a need to mod the Fuck out of all the TES games like Oblivion and Morrowind? I have about 70 mods going right now in Morrowind, and I had over a 100 for Oblivion when it was all said and done.

Also, new old game currently playing: Divine Divinity. (It's fun.)

#29 Cheska19

Cheska19

Fang Banger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

Do an install, then it only checks the disc for like 2 seconds.

Omg duh! I'm so dumb lol. Thanks for reminding me of that feature.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 mau64

mau64

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I would love to see a remake to Super Mario RPG for SNES, and not the Paper Mario, or DS versions of the games. Some people hate those characters but that seemed to be a big game that had "memorable characters IMO" It's weird Nintendo hasn't used them in other games yet like Mallow or Geno.