CAGcast #205: Steve Job

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:21 AM

It's hard for me to describe exactly what we talked about this week, beyond just telling you it was awesome. We've also got the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and much more!

Download - 90 minutes, 60MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by shipwreck, 14 July 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#2 gamerboy1223

gamerboy1223

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

fuh fuh fuh FIRST

#3 Limet

Limet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

welp. i guess im too slow to get the fame of first post.. :(

#4 Droenixjpn

Droenixjpn

The Waiting Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Man, I can't keep up with the CAGCast, it's going by so fast. Didn't even have time to finish the 202nd CAGCast.

#5 budz

budz

I like bananas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

Thr...thr...thr... 3rd! Nice Mr. Bucket reference BTW.

Edited by budz, 14 July 2010 - 05:56 AM.
Actually fo...fo... 4th. Shaqfu

#6 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

WTF I hate that "1st " bullsh**

#7 USB Cable

USB Cable

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Fi.... Fi.... Fi.... Fifth! I did it mom :cry: This is the first time I'm doing this post number calling thing I feel important lol.

Looking forward to giving this a listen!

Edit: I'm actually si... si.... Fuck this......
Spoiler

#8 kamiza

kamiza

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

I just want to say thanks to the cag godaddy codes I set up my own website and its going really well. Thanks a lot Cheapy and Cheaparsegamer!
www.newbreview.com - Because we're not all hardcore

www.twitter.com/newbreview

My personal twitter:
www.twitter.com/kamiza

#9 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

hiiii
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#10 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

where's this gameblogu thing i cant find it
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#11 Wazzaplinola

Wazzaplinola

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Cheapy watches lost?

#12 drew327

drew327

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Shipwreck, I am the same way. My sister just had a kid, and we went to the hospital to see the new baby. Just being in the ward I was afraid I was going to black out, just thinking about what went down there. Occasionally things enter my mind while I am driving, and I panic that I'm going to pass out and it just elevates the whole situation!

#13 spannu

spannu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

where's this gameblogu thing i cant find it

http://www.something...taku-parody.php

#14 Bluntsly

Bluntsly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

"Do Japanese mailmen teach red-haired kids how to throw a ball?"

hahah good one wombat

#15 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Good show this week. I watched the live stream of EVO tournament as well. It was a disappointment when the stream dropped (it did on two different occasions at least for me) but overall I thought it was a good start and I really hope to see it again. The Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 gameplay was really what I enjoyed the most outside of Gamerbee's Adon and watching MarkMan handing out those gold arcade sticks.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#16 muzras

muzras

I Can HAZ Club NintendoZ?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

yayz fer cagz castz. ^_^ downloadingz nao
[cp][/cp]
PLZ TO B 2 Donate-s0rz... Thankz-s0rz ^_^ :D
CAGz are teh bestz. :grouphug:

#17 USB Cable

USB Cable

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Great show dudes! Only thing that sucked was hearing those sale numbers, that was fucking sad......
Spoiler

#18 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

WTF I hate that "1st " bullsh**

:applause:

I thought we got over that kind of crap on Ain't It Cool News in 2002.

#19 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Great show dudes! Only thing that sucked was hearing those sale numbers, that was fucking sad......

Well, some people forget we're in a recession. It's hard to spend money when you've lost your job or have a new job that pays a lot less. People are spending less or looking for bargains. I don't even consider new releases anymore. I wait until they drop or there's some sort of bargain. Publishers have to wake up to this reality. The $60 price point was only introduced 4 years ago. Drop the price and sell more copies instead of the opposite.

The movie industry's strategy for this economy has been to raise prices and add even more money for 3D bullshit. The result? The overall 2010 movie season has had the the worst numbers in years. Drop prices in bad times, idiots.

Edited by banodyne, 14 July 2010 - 12:52 PM.
grammar, as usual

#20 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

I've got an iPhone 4 now, having upgraded from a 3GS, and Consumer Reports is wrong. Well, they aren't wrong, they're simply making the same mistake that everyone else is, and aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Everyone is focused on the fact that if you hold it left handed the signal strength drops, and yes it does, sometimes even dramatically (probably due to the bogus skewing of the scale toward 5 bars - that sure came back to bite them in the ass). The thing is, in practice, even with only 1 bar, it performs far more reliably then my iPhone 3GS did.

Yesterday and today this was most noticeably demonstrated to me at the train station I spend time waiting at every day when I commute via train/bus. With the 3GS, while in that waiting area, the signal would jump from 5 bars to 0 to 4 bars to 0, etc, changing every minute or more, and even when it was 5 bars it was dog slow. With the iPhone 4, for the first time ever, I had a 100% reliable connection, had streaming audio in the background that ran uninterrupted, and I was browsing the web at the same time and it was fast. And, yes, this was with the phone in my left hand, and yes, when I put it in my left hand I saw the signal drop from 4 bars to 1 over 10 to 20 seconds or so, but it still performed superbly and far, far better then my 3GS ever did in over a year of use in this waiting area. Not one single time did the 3GS have an even remotely reliable connection there. Today and yesterday it's been flawless on the iPhone 4. And this isn't an isolated case. In general I've seen a much more reliable connection everywhere. This is just the most pronounced case of it.

If people would just give the thing a chance they would see this. Unfortunately everyone is stuck looking at the bars, especially media like Consumers Reports. So, it's a public relations disaster, yes, but it is a better antenna design if you actually try the thing out and don't just stare at the signal strength gauge. I'm not saying that it will never drop to zero by holding it left handed. It will, just as I noted, when the signal is weaker (which due to the way the scale is weighted, could even be 4 bars). I do wonder, if you are actually going to have seen a reliable connection in that location with another phone, though. As you can see above, it's not all about signal strength. According to the anandtech review (which is a worthwhile read, and is not all positive, FYI, the more important factor is probably signal to noise, and that's where the iPhone 4 excels in the testing they did, and in practice it's seen as a more reliable connection.

Putting it in a case, though, does reduce the strength drop when held left handed, so I do recommend getting a case and truthfully it's not a bad idea anyway given that the phone will cost your thousands of dollars over the life of your 2 year contract - protecting it with a case is a good investment. I have a $20 Case-Mate Gelli case and I like it a lot, so it doesn't have to be a big expense. I agree that, if it is possible to coat the antenna and reduce the attenuation, though I'm not qualified to know if that would really do anything, then Apple should have done that. It would have saved them a lot of grief. However, the problem is blown out of proportion and overall the phone is much better then previous iPhones, including in 3G reliability and performance.

Crunchewy.png

#21 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

HAHA Cheapy, your lost iPhone experience sounded like something from a Judd Apatow movie.

btw Wombat, the Steve Job, ROFL...nice one.

Shippy, your fainting spells is similar to my sis' experiences. You might have low blood pressure. Did you ever consult a doctor about it?
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#22 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Wombat, have you tried accessing the mobile URL from your phone?

Mobile URL:
http://www.cheapassg...rums/?styleid=9

iPhone URL:
http://www.cheapassg...rums/?styleid=8

Regular URL: (click this if you want to change back)
http://www.cheapassg...rums/?styleid=1

#23 collipop

collipop

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Very much looking forward to wombats and shipwrecks impression of onlive next week.

Great show this week.

#24 fahq1977

fahq1977

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

One notable oldie PC exception to the general fail that is video game humor, "No One lives Forever 2". Very humorous writing.

#25 rxeight

rxeight

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Sweet can't wait to hear this at work. Downloading now.

#26 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Cheapy, if Demon's Souls is too dark, you might wanna check your PS3 settings. Do you have the RGB setting set to Limited or Full? If your TV doesn't support Full, everything will look uber dark and washed out. Change it to Limited and you'll see a big difference.

I agree with Shipwreck, Kotaku is kinda shitty now. They no longer post gaming news. They post some random stuff that has no relation to gaming. Kinda annoyed with Cheapy defending it just because he's friends with someone there. Joystiq is better anyways.

Oh yea, thanks for the shout out, Shippy XD

Edited by LiK, 14 July 2010 - 03:38 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#27 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Cheapie subconsciously lost his old iPhone so he take his wife's new iPhone 4.

#28 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

Cheapie subconsciously lost his old iPhone so he take his wife's new iPhone 4.

I think he said he took her old phone since she had a new one.

I'm surprised Cheapy struggled to answer when Ship asked if he liked Alan Wake more than Mass Effect 2 given the gushing praise he gave for it. Although I wouldn't say Mass Effect 2 had an "Oscar calibur" story like some game journalists seem to be throwing out there for every big name game that comes along now and then (Rockstar games mainly). But then again it didn't have a monkey in it, and I like monkeys in video games.

Also, Sony probably blocked the Playstation Store across regions because so many people have made multiple accounts for multiple regions, the biggest reason for this is the wide release of Playstation 1 games on the Japanese Playstation Store, many of which never made it to other regions. People would import Japanese PSN cards and use those to buy PS1 games.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#29 WankerJist

WankerJist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Great show - I was just wondering how precise the 3DS's analog controls will be with one stick design: for me, that could potentially be a deal-breaker more than the 3D stuff. The last time Nintendo did one-stick controls, it was the N64 and that was alright. Thoughts?

#30 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Why does Cheapy defend Crecente/Kotaku when the feeling is obviously not mutual, i.e. coupon partners?
Posted Image