Photo
- - - - -

Dragon Quest IX Guide 13.59$ Amazon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

Amazon finally has the guide in and is no longer listing the ridiculous 1-3 month shipping time. It is $13.59, so that more than 25% off the 19.99$ MSRP. It's prime eligible, but those without prime will want to get the order up to 25$ for free shipping!! (Throw in a cheap blu-ray or something)

http://www.amazon.co...79173274&sr=8-1

#2 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

On guides: if you know anybody who works at best buy, the employee discount on guides is like 50% so you might see if you can them to hook you up. I work there and I got the FFXIII guide for $10 and I'm probably picking up the DQIX guide today because it's the same price.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#3 tukai

tukai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

The guide is great btw. I ended up getting it GS because Amazon said it was a 1-3 month wait. My kids and I have been playing thru the game (3 copies) and the game has been most helpfull

#4 UberNinjaz

UberNinjaz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Publisher: BRADY GAMES

No thanks, I read gouge my eyes out

#5 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

I paid full price and don't regret it one bit. Great game and great guide.
Posted Image

#6 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Judging by the customer review on Amazon, the guide is missing some key information. Pass.
Posted Image

#7 Takeda Kenshi

Takeda Kenshi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Publisher: BRADY GAMES

No thanks, I read gouge my eyes out

Instead of basing the quality on the publisher, why not let the quality of content be your barometer?

P.S. I think that Amazon 'review' is a bit harsh. If the omission of those details bothers him so much, a 3 star review would have been more apt. An automatic 1 star review over a few quibbles to me is just reactionary.

#8 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

P.S. I think that Amazon 'review' is a bit harsh. If the omission of those details bothers him so much, a 3 star review would have been more apt. An automatic 1 star review over a few quibbles to me is just reactionary.

I don't think it's that harsh. Granted I don't have the guide yet (I pre-ordered from Amazon, it's shipping today) but having played 20+ hours of the game so far the thing I need most by far is detailed information on the alchemy system. The cross-reference chart the reviewer talked about seems pretty vital to me, and not having a mini-medal list just seems lazy.

I'll reserve my own judgment until I have the guide in my hands of course, but that review did discourage me a bit.

33126.png

#9 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

I think the review is harsh. I understand people being harsh on RPG guide, I am myself, but I've heard waaaay more good than bad about this guide.

#10 Broseph

Broseph

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'm loving this game. I'm especially loving the customization. I like that your armor and weapons show up. I don't fully understand it, but apparently the "Style" stat is tied to your armor and allows you to get the initiative on occasion.

It's all very cool and of course, a lot of armor and weapons are crafted through alchemy which would make a chart of combination's and drop list a massive time saver.

So, taking that into account and the fact that the main story seems really easy to navigate, I'm finding this omission a major reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

I do applaud the work these guys do and I understand time constraints but this customization was a selling point of the game and a big reason I bought it. So, yeah.

Double Jump is able to do these sorts of lists for massive numbers games like Disgaea so there's that as a point of comparison. Of course, Disgaea has changed very little since 2003 so that probably makes the job a bit easier.

#11 agentghost

agentghost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

I'm loving this game. I'm especially loving the customization. I like that your armor and weapons show up. I don't fully understand it, but apparently the "Style" stat is tied to your armor and allows you to get the initiative on occasion.

It's all very cool and of course, a lot of armor and weapons are crafted through alchemy which would make a chart of combination's and drop list a massive time saver.

So, taking that into account and the fact that the main story seems really easy to navigate, I'm finding this omission a major reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

I do applaud the work these guys do and I understand time constraints but this customization was a selling point of the game and a big reason I bought it. So, yeah.

Double Jump is able to do these sorts of lists for massive numbers games like Disgaea so there's that as a point of comparison. Of course, Disgaea has changed very little since 2003 so that probably makes the job a bit easier.

while i agree with most of the things u stated, putting out subpar guide is not good (unless they give it out for free then I have no comment).

honestly, some ppl are way too liberal with their money and will throw them out for any merchandise. Don't encourage publisher/writer to put out low quality guide. It is not good for us as consumers.

p.s. this guide suck.. plain and simple. I will sell it back to u guys if any of u are interested. PM me for detail.

#12 UberNinjaz

UberNinjaz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

Instead of basing the quality on the publisher, why not let the quality of content be your barometer?

I've bought enough BradyGames guides in the past to know I'm not being screwed over once again.

#13 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

I don't think Brady makes terrible guides, but it's definitely hard to consider getting one after using my first PiggyBack.

UjCoyFa.png

#14 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

If the quality is anything like their DQVIII guide it isnt worth it.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#15 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

You kidding? That guide was awesome. I 100%'d that game with only using that guide, no internet. That's a highlight of RPG guides! lol