Photo
- - - - -

Pinball FX 2 - Free Paranormal table from 10/26 to 11/2!!!

• Please log in to reply
814 replies to this topic

#1 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Pinball games might not seem highly sought after anymore. Whether you blame it on the death of the arcade in America or the ever-increasing complexity of modern games, you're probably under the impression that the average gamer just isn't aching to flip a ball around a flashy cabinet.

But according to Zen Studios, its last XBLA game, Pinball FX, was one of best-selling games on Xbox Live Arcade. Come October 13, the studio will launch Pinball FX 2.

It arrives as part of Microsoft's new Game Feast promotion, a Summer of Arcade-caliber lineup taking place during the holiday season. Instead of giving it the usual sequel treatment, Zen Studios is considering Pinball FX 2 as a platform -- like Hasbro Family Game Night, the "game" can be downloaded free of charge. It won't include any tables, but you'll be able to import all of your original Pinball FX content, free of charge, and add new tables via custom content packs.

Old and new tables benefit from a revamped physics engine and graphical overhaul. The new tables are way more elaborate and really invoke the feeling of playing pinball at the arcade. While the old tables won't change cosmetically once imported into the sequel -- they're far less elaborate than their newer counterparts -- they will benefit from the updated physics, which dictate more realistic behavior for the ball.

The most fun I had with the game was in the multiplayer mode. It'll work over Xbox Live, but during my demo I was limited to split-screen play. Two players have their own individual tables, but share the goal of being the first to reach a certain score. For every missed ball, a set number of points is deducted. You can calibrate this to be five percent of your total score, ten percent of your total score or you could simply turn it off altogether. Racing toward the maximum score felt hurried and quite fun.

Pinball FX 2 will also offer comprehensive leaderboard data that will tie in some Achievements for good measure. Best three friends' scores on a table and get some Achievement points. In-game prompts tell you that you're closing in on a friend's score and update you on your own personal highlights while you play, and it's all part of the goal to make the sequel a much more social experience than its predecessor and to keep players coming back. And Pinball FX 2 already feels instantly accessible, thanks to the verisimilitude offered by its enhanced tables.

By giving the platform away free of charge, Zen gives fans of the first game a free update to all of their tables with new Achievements to earn. If you're a newcomer, you still get to try out trial versions of the newer tables and, if you enjoy them, can purchase them through a content pack. The first game's tables will also be available via another content pack.

It may be easy to write off Pinball FX 2 because it takes us back to a simpler time, but that's exactly what I appreciate about it most. There are no gimmicks, no crazy game modes, no fireballs or magical modifiers; it's just the pinball you've known all your life, except you play it on your TV.

http://www.joystiq.c...-all-your-life/

Other pinball games on Xbox 360:
Pinball FX
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

Formerly known as RawisJericho

Posted Image

#2 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Interesting. I wonder what new tables they'll have.

Hopefully they'll take a cue from the Excellent Williams collection and tighten up the physics to match that game closer, because the physics of FX were floatly, IMO.

I thought Zen Pinball on PS3 was better, but with this update, FX could be the new top game.
Posted Image

#3 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

Interesting. I wonder what new tables they'll have.

Hopefully they'll take a cue from the Excellent Williams collection and tighten up the physics to match that game closer, because the physics of FX were floatly, IMO.

I thought Zen Pinball on PS3 was better, but with this update, FX could be the new top game.

You thought the physics in Zen Pinball were better than Pinball FX or the Williams collection? I didn't think it could get much better than the Williams collection.

Posted Image

#4 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Yeah. This is something I'd probably be interested in...if the Williams Collection didn't exist. There's really no topping that game at this point.
Posted Image

#5 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:53 AM

I'm really looking forward to this and I might buy a few more new tables. I was wondering why zen pinball was getting the same tables as pinball fx then I remembered that they were done by the same people. For them to give us pinball fx 2 free is great and i'm looking forward to new tables.

#6 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

:applause: I wish other devs were as cool as Zen Studios. :D

The main reason i play Pinball FX from time to time is because it doesn't need a disc to play like Williams Collection haha.

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#7 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

You thought the physics in Zen Pinball were better than Pinball FX or the Williams collection? I didn't think it could get much better than the Williams collection.

Nope. WIlliams still is better than zen, but I think zen is better than fx.
Posted Image

#8 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Yeah. This is something I'd probably be interested in...if the Williams Collection didn't exist. There's really no topping that game at this point.

If the Williams collection was releasing more tables via DLC, then I wouldn't care. As it is I'm looking forward to more tables in Pinball FX 2 and to see what they've done with the physics.

#9 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:08 AM

I have Pinball FX, Zen, and Williams. I'll be buying the tables for this, day 1. I have to support Zen Studios.

#10 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

Very interested in this since I enjoy zen studios pinball games.

#11 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Bump for this game coming out on Wed.

I bet the new tables won't be $2.50 but $5 since the platform is a free DL.
Posted Image

#12 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

I don't care, I want it soooo plus it's going towards my points back promo anyway.:bouncy:

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3

#13 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Really interested in seeing the new improvements to the old tables, I liked the original set but I was never happy with the camera angles.

#14 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

I loved the first pinball fx and bought it day 1, same thing goes for zen pinball and the tables they released on psn. I've got most of the tables on 360 as well so i'm happy to hear pinball fx 2 will be free and more companies/studios should try to implement a move like this. Pinball fx was part of a 'deal of the week' so that helped give the game more exposure and all. I for one am looking forward to getting this tomorrow and that street fighter table is killer.

#15 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

when did this nomenclature of "table" come about? They've always been "pins" or "machines" dating back to the heyday of EM games by the likes of Bally, Gottlieb and Williams.
Contact Friend Code - 1675-8841-8262
Tetris DS - 152435-004214
XBL - Nasum2

#16 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

might wanna change the thread title now since the game got pushed back to the 27th. source link: http://www.joystiq.c...las-game-feast/

#17 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Awww that sucks. hmph:-x

Spybreaker.pnguc.png

#18 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

might wanna change the thread title now since the game got pushed back to the 27th. source link: http://www.joystiq.c...las-game-feast/

That really sux. I was hoping it would tide me over until RB3 comes out. Now both drop on pretty much the same day. :(

At least they'll make sure they get things right.
Posted Image

#19 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

Damn! I was looking forward to playing this tomorrow too. :cry:

Posted Image

#20 sp8001

sp8001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Just a few days away. I've really been looking forward to this. Can't wait to see it in action.

#21 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Just a few days away. I've really been looking forward to this. Can't wait to see it in action.

Me too. Too bad it's the same time as RB3. This game'll basically be free with the point card deals I've been getting.

I'll be curious to see if they learned anything from PHoF:tWC and got the physics close to that game.
Posted Image

#22 sp8001

sp8001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

Me too. Too bad it's the same time as RB3. This game'll basically be free with the point card deals I've been getting.

I'll be curious to see if they learned anything from PHoF:tWC and got the physics close to that game.

It will be free for me as well due to the Bing Reward Preview Program :)

The physics is FX1 just felt so awkward. I've seen the ball do things that would never happen in reality. It will literally stop from rolling down at an angle to dropping straight down. Like the ball is a shot-put or something. Just felt really weird. Still a lot of fun, but can't wait to check out the "shiny new engine" and "updated physics" to see how it plays. My hopes are high.

The 4 new tables look great too.

#23 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

It will be free for me as well due to the Bing Reward Preview Program :)

The physics is FX1 just felt so awkward. I've seen the ball do things that would never happen in reality. It will literally stop from rolling down at an angle to dropping straight down. Like the ball is a shot-put or something. Just felt really weird. Still a lot of fun, but can't wait to check out the "shiny new engine" and "updated physics" to see how it plays. My hopes are high.

The 4 new tables look great too.

Yea, I'm cautiously optimisic that the physics will be better. Between their PS3 game, Zen pinball and FX, Zen pinball is slightly better with physics, though not by much.
Posted Image

#24 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Messed around with the demo this morning and liked it. Only played the trial of the Pasha table, but I was still impressed.

Oh, for those of us who downloaded the Bucaneer table for free hoping it would work in Pinball FX2, it doesn't.

#25 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

I am REALLY surprised this was released today.

I was told by someone in direct contact with a relatively high up Microsoft Live Cert person just on Friday that it would be pushed a couple more weeks.

However, they have already been advertising it as part of their October promotion so it looks like they pushed it out.

That tells me to expect a few bugs and expect some updates soon.

#26 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Picked up the collection for 800. Seeing my old tables from the first game import in was very nice. I'm on the fence about Excalibur and Earth Defense, but the rest of the tables are pretty top notch. They've done well with this one IMO.

#27 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

Something doesn't feel right with the physics. It seems like it is off a bit..

Posted Image

#28 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Something doesn't feel right with the physics. It seems like it is off a bit..

How so? I find it very accurate. They've improved the physics model over Pinball FX for sure, and likely use a tweaked physics engine from Zen Pinball over on the PS3.

#29 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

DLing now... (322M... Ouch!)

For those who've played it... How do the physics compare to Williams Hall of Fame or Zen Pinball?
Posted Image

#30 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

DLing now... (322M... Ouch!)

For those who've played it... How do the physics compare to Williams Hall of Fame or Zen Pinball?

It's very similar to Zen, if not nearly the same. Very good feeling IMO. The ball feels like it has some weight to it and I have very little problem putting it exactly where I want it.

The new boards are fantastic as well.