Photo
- - - - -

Halo Wars at Best Buy $9.99

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Tim7890

Tim7890

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

I went to my local Best Buy and picked up Halo Wars for $9.99. It was in the Xbox 360 section not in the clearance bin. Also it is not for the platinum version.

#2 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Wish I had checked while I was at Best Buy today, to confirm if this is YMMV or not.

DarkZion9.pngWjwtTLD.gif?1

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#3 mattcube64

mattcube64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

I've been to three BBs in the last month or so, and they've all had the old, non-PH versions marked at $9.99, and the newer, PH versions for $29.99.

So, I'm inclined to believe this is a nation-wide price... but you have to be lucky enough to have some old, original copies still in stock. I ended up grabbing the last copy in Columbia, MO about a week ago after my friend recommended it. He said he thought it was worth $30; so I ran back up to BB where I got it for the $10.

You should have went back and waved it in that chick's face.....and, waved the cash in her face, too!

I came here b/c I was sick of low trade-in prices.

#4 silentbobfan

silentbobfan

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

If you can find it the game is more than worth it. I saw a few in my area the other day. I've already owned the game for quite some time so I told my friends about it.
[URL="http://zaamit.com/content/gamercards.aspx"]Posted Image[/URL]

#5 digi7

digi7

Sensual Seduction

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

Yea, it's $10 at my local BB as well, although the Platinum Hits version comes with the DLC, so if you want the whole package, you still end up paying $30.

#6 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

I wish it came out on the PC :(

#7 Link927

Link927

Work In Progress

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

Huh, I might check this out tomorrow at my local BB since I need to return a few items and put down a preorder for Reach

Nothing to see here, move along!

#8 gamerdogbert

gamerdogbert

Canine Potentate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Not a bad game, easy-going fun. Nothing like Starcraft, much simpler and less intense. Enjoy the story and the graphics. Warthogs are still fun to drive even at tiny size :)

#9 Organ Donor

Organ Donor

Watch his Bull Charge!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'll have to check my local BB when I pick up Reach. $10 seems like a sweet deal.

#10 chaddyp

chaddyp

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

I picked up the regular version of Fable 2 for $9.99 as well. Looks like BB is dropping the price on all of the original versions that have been rereleased with DLC as a Platium Hit.

#11 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Wow! I wish I knew about this yesterday so I could have picked it up.

#12 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Dang, I'd buy this for $10, but I don't know if it's worth a trip out. Hate that this had to be Ensemble's last game.

Too bad too that it couldn't have been a PC exclusive, and been a full game rather than what they tried to do with this. I don't even care about Halo but a sci-fi themed RTS from Ensemble would have been really cool :-/

Blew my mind when they were closed-I figured they had a sure thing going, with either the second or third most successful RTS, and never a bad game.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#13 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

my best buy never has cheap games. i guess too many people walk through it.

#14 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Anyone try using TRU's week two Halo coupon on this? Even though it's super YMMV, so idiot manager might approve a free game lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#15 sinwazikashi

sinwazikashi

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

So everyone's doing the Reach/Wars combo? You'd think BB would wise up and think about a bundle of some sort to deplete some stock of that game...

#16 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

I don't suppose there is anyway to check in store availability online?

#17 bib12342004

bib12342004

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

will check out

#18 JGZinv

JGZinv

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Went through Wal-Mart yesterday and they had price dropped Halo Wars
both PH and non-PH to $24.95 down from the $29.99

TRU doesn't seem to be getting any more and it appears that way with BB too, I wonder if it's being discontinued.

#19 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Not a bad game, easy-going fun. Nothing like Starcraft, much simpler and less intense. Enjoy the story and the graphics. Warthogs are still fun to drive even at tiny size :)

Definitely. If you're looking for in-depth RTS experience, look to the PC. But this is a wonderful example of how a RTS game can be done correctly on the console. Rather than trying to cram a PC control scheme into the layout of a gamepad, they simply build the game around the pad itself. I'm guessing if you're not a big fan of the Halo series, you might not have as much as fun, but I still think the game stands on its own.

#20 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Definitely. If you're looking for in-depth RTS experience, look to the PC. But this is a wonderful example of how a RTS game can be done correctly on the console. Rather than trying to cram a PC control scheme into the layout of a gamepad, they simply build the game around the pad itself. I'm guessing if you're not a big fan of the Halo series, you might not have as much as fun, but I still think the game stands on its own.

Agreed on all fronts - I can't do the PC RTS thing...I don't have the patience for the micromanagement, planning, and multitasking skills you need to excel at those, but I enjoyed this game. Definitely worth 10 bucks, probably worth 20. As said above, if you're into the mythology it enhances the experience significantly.

I mean, I still had minimal effectiveness as far as "strategy," but it was fun enough just building up a massive, unstoppably army that would then go out and roll over everything. On normal difficulty, anyway. Managed to finish the campaign in a little over a week, without really even playing it a ton. Didn't bother going into multiplayer, I wouldn't stand a chance.
Posted Image

#21 1NintendoFan

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

One Best Buy in my area has almost all of the older Halo games for $9.99 now and Halo Wars is one of them. The Best Buy that is close to me doesn't even have the older Halo games.

#22 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Agreed on all fronts - I can't do the PC RTS thing...I don't have the patience for the micromanagement, planning, and multitasking skills you need to excel at those, but I enjoyed this game. Definitely worth 10 bucks, probably worth 20. As said above, if you're into the mythology it enhances the experience significantly.

I mean, I still had minimal effectiveness as far as "strategy," but it was fun enough just building up a massive, unstoppably army that would then go out and roll over everything. On normal difficulty, anyway. Managed to finish the campaign in a little over a week, without really even playing it a ton. Didn't bother going into multiplayer, I wouldn't stand a chance.

See I like the base building though. I like my RTS easy, which many aren't, but something like Starcraft I really love the single player where I can built up this fun base and units.

EDIT: Games like Halo Wars that largely remove that (or PC stuff like Relic's been doing) kind of focus on my least favorite part of RTS :-D Heck, I'll play a game with all base building and no combat (that's a sim type of game basically LOL) but I don't want to play a game that's just clicking little units around a map fighting guys.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#23 JDUB X

JDUB X

CAG 2.0 GET!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

It's much much more fun in Co-op than it is in single player btw.
Posted Image

#24 AquaKnight

AquaKnight

Defender of the Seas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

console rts just isn't a good combination in my experience

unless you do a lot to make it controller/system friendly
Defending the seas 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

#25 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

Which Ensemble did with Halo Wars. It's the best RTS you'll ever see on a console most likely.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#26 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Which Ensemble did with Halo Wars. It's the best RTS you'll ever see on a console most likely.

Exactly, just as I mentioned before. They did a great job of building the game up around the platform it is on.

#27 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I'm curious about it and would like to play it, so I can't declare this the winner until then, but so far Pikmin is by far the best console RTS I've played. Truly built around the controller, to the point where a lot of people don't even realize it's an RTS.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#28 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

See I like the base building though. I like my RTS easy, which many aren't, but something like Starcraft I really love the single player where I can built up this fun base and units.

EDIT: Games like Halo Wars that largely remove that (or PC stuff like Relic's been doing) kind of focus on my least favorite part of RTS :-D Heck, I'll play a game with all base building and no combat (that's a sim type of game basically LOL) but I don't want to play a game that's just clicking little units around a map fighting guys.

have you tried a kingdom for keflings? its a downloadable xbla game. its pretty much an rts with no combat. i had fun with it and even my wife liked it. i would recommend you try the demo.

#29 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Huh, sounds intriguing! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to remember to download it!
[LIST]

Posted Image

#30 dashrendar

dashrendar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I picked up the regular version of Fable 2 for $9.99 as well. Looks like BB is dropping the price on all of the original versions that have been rereleased with DLC as a Platium Hit.

I just picked up Fable II PH for $9.99, although they had to re-adjust it in the system. Probably helped that they had no non-PH versions though.

Currently Playing:
:360: Dishonored

RelievedSquid.jpg