3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2886 replies to this topic

#1 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

I decided to put a list together of currently available and soon to be available 3D blu-rays and I will keep a current list of the exclusives. I am keeping it to US available. I am only focusing on those blu-rays that require a 3D television/blu-ray player.

Currently Available (Non-exclusives)
Spoiler

Coming Soon

TBA

The Hole
Madagascar
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Resident Evil: Damnation
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

For Blu-ray 3D Trading:
Cheap Ass Gamer - Official 3D Blu-ray Trade Thread

Edited by Trakan, 29 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.
Immortals, Hugo and Happy Feet 2

Posted Image

#2 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

Moved this to the BluRay forum, as this seems like the best place for it.

#3 opterasis

opterasis

Bullhonkery!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

It really seems like they don't want 3D to be successful.
My Bluray owned list

http://www.points2sh...p?ref=opterasis

What I've gotten free from points2shop *updated* 1/16/12!
Spoiler

#4 PaulDE01

PaulDE01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the list OP. What 3DTV do you have? I bought the Samsung 55 8000 LED TV.

#5 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

any good tv deal bundles for 55" or up LED? I currently have the SONY DLP garbage. its showing weird blue spotted colors all over the screen. i changed the lightbulb and it happened again after 2-3 months. i want to get rid of it and get a 3D LED instead. i want to sell that tv. how much should i put the WEGA 60" DLP on craigslist?

#6 nixmahn

nixmahn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

It really seems like they don't want 3D to be successful.

Oh, they want it to be successful but only in the theaters so they can charge more per ticket. Economy is also soft so i think they are pushing it less.

Is Toy Story 3 anywhere on that list?

#7 Britshady

Britshady

Own Them All

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

The Final Destination is another one not on the list.

Posted Image

Collection (Hasn't been updated in YEARS!)
http://users.ign.com...ction/BritShady

#8 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the list OP. What 3DTV do you have? I bought the Samsung 55 8000 LED TV.

Same. I love it!

Toy Story 3 has not been announced yet. Sadly.

Posted Image

#9 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

The Final Destination is another one not on the list.

That's one that requires red/blue glasses, not a 3d tv, I believe.

Posted Image

#10 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

Didn't know that about Avatar. I was going to pick it up for the normal BD and all the extras. I guess I will hold off on it and 3d till the 3d tvs come out that you don't need the glasses. I have read that some companies already have ones working.
Posted Image

#11 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

This list is a good source of info, thanks OP. Unfortunately, it also makes me glad I didn't opt to pay the extra $$$ for 3D support in my LED TV. I'll keep an eye here to see if anything other than a handful of average quality cartoons will ever come out in the next year. I could always change my mind and move the current TV to the bedroom and move up.

#12 opterasis

opterasis

Bullhonkery!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Oh, they want it to be successful but only in the theaters so they can charge more per ticket. Economy is also soft so i think they are pushing it less.

It just seems ridiculous to have so many different exclusives. If you want it to be successful, why not make it accessible to everyone, not just people that are just buying the starter kits.
My Bluray owned list

http://www.points2sh...p?ref=opterasis

What I've gotten free from points2shop *updated* 1/16/12!
Spoiler

#13 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

They all will or should come out later on. I thought I read on high def that one of the exclusives is going to be non exclusive soon. Just don't remember what one but it was also late at night or early in the morning so hell if I know. Usaully companies sign exclusive deals for a short time to get people to buy their hardware. I would say give it a year it I don't think it will be happening anymore.
Posted Image

#14 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

I remember seeing a 50" 3D HDTV bundle with a player on SD for around $1440, which seems like a really good deal, although I can't remember which brand it was.

Either way, I am holding out for when they release glasses-free 3D. Hopefully in a few years when this becomes more of a norm there will be glasses-free 3D that surpasses the current 3D TVs in 3D picture. quality.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 aboveaveragewes

aboveaveragewes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

I guess I will hold off on it and 3d till the 3d tvs come out that you don't need the glasses.

That's a bingo.

Getting a new TV is a big enough purchase, but having to pay at least $150 for each pair of glasses is insanity. I'll be more interested in an affordable, glasses-less display which I'm sure is still a few years off.
Posted Image

#16 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Updated with Despicable Me, Dec. 14th release.

Posted Image

#17 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

I suggest anyone looking for 3d glasses go look on ebay versus looking at retail price in a store.

I still can't believe Fox let Avatar go exclusive to a single manufacturer. That's crazy of them. Regardless, I've heard that Pana has it only a few months, so by a year after the release of the regular BD (non-extended), it'll be available for everyone else.

I wish Samsung had not started this exclusives crap with MvA. The sad fact is these 3d BD's aren't even special discs or anything. The encoding can work on a 2d, so there's no good reason to make these discs separately from the 2d version. A 3D disc in a 2D player will be 2D. Why not just make one version?

Greed. You'd think they'd just want the format (3D BD) to succeed more than to milk the few people who've invested so far, but it would appear not. At least Sony's pushing some 3D out, which gives me hope that RE4 3D is going to be widely released, too. I confess, I like the RE movies for no good reason and I did like the latest one, even in 3D.

#18 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

I've got a question that someone may know the answer to. The price of the glasses turns me off too, so do the glasses from the theaters work at home on a 3D TV? The last few times I've gone to a 3D movie I went during a weekday matinee and barely anyone was working the theater. I walked out and no one was near the dropoff box outside, so you could just walk out with your glasses freely. I didn't know if they were any good at home so I tossed them in anyway. Just curious. I know they feel light and cheap in the theater, and the ones at BB on display were heavy and battery operated. Any real difference?

#19 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

I've got a question that someone may know the answer to. The price of the glasses turns me off too, so do the glasses from the theaters work at home on a 3D TV? The last few times I've gone to a 3D movie I went during a weekday matinee and barely anyone was working the theater. I walked out and no one was near the dropoff box outside, so you could just walk out with your glasses freely. I didn't know if they were any good at home so I tossed them in anyway. Just curious. I know they feel light and cheap in the theater, and the ones at BB on display were heavy and battery operated. Any real difference?

No. The glasses at home for the time being are active shutter glasses and the ones in the theater are passive shutter glasses.

#20 duckydan

duckydan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

For anyone looking for Samsung Glasses I was able to pick up a kit off of amazon marketplace... new set of 2 glasses and MvA for $148 shipped w/ amazon prime.

The Samsung Glasses worth with the Mitsubishi DLPs as long as you have the Mitsu 3D Emitter so it still ends up being much cheaper.

As for why 3D films are released separately from the 2D packs it's because some of the 3D discs have been barebones whereas the 2D versions have had a lot of extras. One of the 3D rips online was over 70GB in size and it was only the movie and audio files. Keep in mind each 3D version is 2 different 1080p video files back to back or side by side.

#21 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

If MvA went for over $200 on eBay a while back, I wonder what Avatar is going to go for.

Edit: Just checked to see what they're doing now. Most end at around $50.

#22 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:16 AM

Updated the OP with two new preorders linked on amazon, Polar express and Deep Sea. A little over priced at 31.49, me thinks.

Posted Image

#23 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

I just don't get why the seem to be so desperate to kill home 3D adoption. I can't believe they'd make Avatar an exclusive.

Completely different technology, man. Won't work.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I just don't get why the seem to be so desperate to kill home 3D adoption. I can't believe they'd make Avatar an exclusive.

Completely different technology, man. Won't work.

Panasonic paid a lot of money to make Avatar 3D Exclusive. The whole point is so consumers will pick one brand over the other, and if they want Avatar, they will buy the (more expensive) Panasonic 3D Tv and likely a 3D BD Player, Receiver, Glasses etc.

So far, only the Samsungs look like good TVs. Never been impressed with the Sony 3D Demo's ive seen, but as it stands, all too expensive.

#25 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

Panasonic paid a lot of money to make Avatar 3D Exclusive. The whole point is so consumers will pick one brand over the other, and if they want Avatar, they will buy the (more expensive) Panasonic 3D Tv and likely a 3D BD Player, Receiver, Glasses etc.

So far, only the Samsungs look like good TVs. Never been impressed with the Sony 3D Demo's ive seen, but as it stands, all too expensive.

The issue with most of the 3D TVs out there is that they're not LED backlit, they're just LED edge lit, which doesn't give you the same range of contrast and color fidelity that you get out of a LED backlit set. To get LED backlit with local dimming for 3D, you're moving yourself up to the LG LX9500, the Sony HX909 and a few other sets that I can't think of off-hand.

I'm waiting out 3D until we get more sets on the market and get the technology cheaper, which should hopefully be 2-3 years.

#26 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm waiting out 3D until we get more sets on the market and get the technology cheaper, which should hopefully be 2-3 years.

while I think that is a good plan, that's also long enough to see if it even pans out. I was listening to the Ron and Fez show and they were making the correlation how flat panels and HDTV didn't catch on until the NFL went HD. They were making statements that unless the NFL or some other major broadcasting source goes 3D then the breakthrough will be minimal..

Plus, if it stays around, and is anything like the LCD market ($3k sets 2 years ago, $1500 sets today twice as good) then I hope we can all get 3D for way less than $2k..but the prices right now are just crazy, especially if you just bought and LCD or making payments on one..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#27 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

You can pick up a snazzy 3D set with glasses and a BD player for under 2k.

#28 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

You can pick up a snazzy 3D set with glasses and a BD player for under 2k.

what?? I must be looking in the wrong places then..all I ever see in the BB ad are at least starting around $2k and going up..but again, I'm not hardcore keeping track of it yet either..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#29 AngellicLulu

AngellicLulu

Aria of the Fates

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

I got my TV for 2.5k with the bluray player and starter kit (2 glasses and Monsters vs Aliens) a couple months ago. I was planning on upgrading to 55 inches and then took the extra leap for the 3D.
There are 3D games available if you look. Avatar the game has 3D capability and there's a few games on the PSN.

Sidenote, ESPN 3D http://espn.go.com/3d/ (not my interest but maybe someone elses)

Posted Image

#30 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

while I think that is a good plan, that's also long enough to see if it even pans out. I was listening to the Ron and Fez show and they were making the correlation how flat panels and HDTV didn't catch on until the NFL went HD. They were making statements that unless the NFL or some other major broadcasting source goes 3D then the breakthrough will be minimal..

Plus, if it stays around, and is anything like the LCD market ($3k sets 2 years ago, $1500 sets today twice as good) then I hope we can all get 3D for way less than $2k..but the prices right now are just crazy, especially if you just bought and LCD or making payments on one..

The other issue that kept HDTVs from getting prolific was cost, because the 37" LCD TV I bought on BF 2006 would be about half of what I paid for it if I bought a similar set, or 1080p for the same price I paid. As LED edge lighting and LED backlighting get cheaper to manufacture, they'll get cheaper to sell and prices will start to drop. I think you may see more of the "buy TV + 3D BR player + 2 glasses + any other needed accessories for the price of the TV" deals going into this holiday season, though I'd be surprised if you still saw them past the early part of next year. Those deals are trying to mitigate the early adopter price penalty, and I'm sure the manufacturers are selling at cost or at a loss to try and get the technology into more consumers.

To get an LED backlit set with local dimming in a 3D version over the 2D version I bought (LG 55LE8500), I would have needed to spend another $1K or more. That's too much of a jump for me right now. I'm constantly amazed with the PQ on my TV, and it's constantly put in the top 3 or top 4 from numerous reviewing sources that review it. I'd rather have drop-dead 2D PQ than try to do 2D & 3D in the same price point and have lesser PQ for 2D.

what?? I must be looking in the wrong places then..all I ever see in the BB ad are at least starting around $2k and going up..but again, I'm not hardcore keeping track of it yet either..

There were some deals right at $2K around the beginning of football season for the 52" / 55" sets, and under that for 46", though you really need 52" or more to get the full effect. 65" or 70" will be really the nice points for 3D sets, though you'll be looking at $5K or more.

I got my TV for 2.5k with the bluray player and starter kit (2 glasses and Monsters vs Aliens) a couple months ago. I was planning on upgrading to 55 inches and then took the extra leap for the 3D.
There are 3D games available if you look. Avatar the game has 3D capability and there's a few games on the PSN.

Sidenote, ESPN 3D http://espn.go.com/3d/ (not my interest but maybe someone elses)

About what I had seen for the 55C8000 + C6900 BR player + 2 glasses w/Monsters vs Aliens in the starter kit in numerous places over the last few months. We'll see more of them as we go into the BF / holiday season timeframe.