Photo
- - - - -

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Sleeper Hit of 2010?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

I searched around and didn't see a thread for Enslaved, Ninja Theory's new game. I started it yesterday morning and beat it later that night. All I can say is that the game is amazing.

http://www.metacriti...sey-to-the-west

Game has an 81 on Metacritic, which isnt too bad. If you like Action RPG's with beautiful visuals and great acting/dialogue, you will love this game. CAGcast co-host Shipwreck gave it an "Outstanding" review:

http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=16917

So has anyone else played this yet? I'm getting ready to do my play through on hard.

538822.png

#2 nnthomas

nnthomas

meeble meeble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

I got all achievements on it. Great game. Much better than Castlepoopia
Posted Image

#3 YodaEXE

YodaEXE

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

I thought it was a pretty good game. I had some issues with the controls being unresponsive and slightly crap at times, but beyond that it was good. I think the story could have used a bit more fleshing out, but overall I was happy with it.
Posted Image

#4 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:36 AM

Just finished up Dead Rising so Im going to dive into this next.

Only thing I don't like is I heard it's short and lacks replay value (that's what she said?)

seanr1221.png

#5 timesplitt

timesplitt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

went to rent it at blockbuster and they didn't carry it because its a low profile game.

#6 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:31 AM

went to rent it at blockbuster and they didn't carry it because Blockbuster is a low profile company.

^^ Fixed. I think it's a newly unwritten rule that any game with a Gamer Gift Card promo at K-mart is automatically a high-profile game.

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#7 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

I started it yesterday morning and beat it later that night.

Bought it today, beat it tonight. Couldn't agree more, one of the better games I've played in a while.

Just a fantastic story, very few games would I describe as unputdownable, but this is definitely one of them. In terms of the way the story sucks you in and makes you care about the characters, the only comparison I can think of is Uncharted.

I'll definitely be playing it again, perhaps several times. I'd recommend anyone who's on the fence pick it up.

Question for anyone who's played it: Can you think of a game with better facial animations than this one? I play a lot of games, and for sure it has the best I've seen by a significant margin.

Edited by bvharris, 11 October 2010 - 04:04 AM.

33126.png

#8 jaredstorm

jaredstorm

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:58 AM

This game is absolutely amazing. I'm on Chapter 13, knowing the game is going to end soon I want to savor the moment. When that moment comes I'll play again and again until the DLC comes out. This is definitely sleeper hit of the year! Love it.

608212.png

#9 Ibramgaunt249

Ibramgaunt249

Cheap ass Viking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:14 AM

I was a little disappointed with the length, ending, and difficultly, but other then that was a really good game.

I only died once or twice due to it being on Hard and I could have easily avoided that by paying more attention.

Posted Image

#10 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

The only thing I really disliked about the ending is that it left me wanting more. I liked what they did, but it kind of just.. ends.

33126.png

#11 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

I am 2 hours in and wishing I'd played on hard.

#12 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Big fan of Alex Garland, I had no idea that he was doing the writing for this project. He's one of the better screenplay writers for genre flicks. Him and Danny Boyle have done some of the best as of date up there with Chris Nolan's flicks...28 Days Later, Sunshine, the Beach...

#13 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

demo was great...

1080i is for douchebags

#14 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

Can anyone spoil the story for me, lol? Normally I'll read a summary on wikipedia but they don't have one and I want to know what happens.

#15 eelpout01

eelpout01

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Seems everyone is saying its pretty short. I'm gonna try to rent it

#16 ray2dee

ray2dee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

Monkey all day!! Loved the game
and is it just me or is Castle:LOS one god and no nipple away from being a god of war 4 and dante inferno 2 package

#17 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

At least everyone enjoys it, though the fact most of you bought it and beat it on the same day is a bit worrisome for a $60 game. Then again I spent $80 on Alan Wake and didn't regret beating that in two days.

#18 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

At least everyone enjoys it, though the fact most of you bought it and beat it on the same day is a bit worrisome for a $60 game. Then again I spent $80 on Alan Wake and didn't regret beating that in two days.

It's definitely a game I'll play again. Really, most action-adventure games can be beaten in a day, it's just par for the course. To use your example, it's not any shorter than Alan Wake was. Really I'd say it speaks more to the fact that the game is impossible to put down.

33126.png

#19 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Enslaved can be had for much much cheaper if you look at the kmart sticky.

#20 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

finished the first level. Like what I saw so far but first I need to finish DR2.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#21 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

I keep meaning to pick this one up. I was excited about it when I first read about in GI like a year ago.

#22 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

I would have liked this game if the stupid girl hadn't killed me so many times for wandering off in the wrong direction. How the hell can you form an emotional bond with someone that kills you just for exploring a little bit? It is a horrible gameplay mechanic. Why does it give you such a short time to return after making it more difficult to move and making you disoriented when notifying you that you're going the wrong way?

With emotional involvement with the characters detached it was just a solid action/adventure game.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#23 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Can't wait to play this. I'm not sure whether I should ask for it for a birthday present later this month or bite the bullet and pick it up at Kmart.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#24 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

Is it really that good?
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#25 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

Is it really that good?

Yes

33126.png

#26 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

Well off to lunch and going to pick up Enslaved. The glowing praise I've heard for it has pulled me in. Looks like Alan Wake will wait another week or two.

#27 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Just finished chapter 2. Awesome so far.

seanr1221.png

#28 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

I keep meaning to pick this one up. I was excited about it when I first read about in GI like a year ago.

Same here, though the lack of replay save for achievement whoring and the length are making me hesitate at $60.

#29 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Archaic kinds of fun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

I decided to spring for Amazon's DOTD price since the reviews have been so great. The campaign length sounds perfect to me, I like them short and sweet, Gears 2 is like my gold standard for action game campaigns. And the character interaction really sounds like something special.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#30 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:55 PM

Same here, though the lack of replay save for achievement whoring and the length are making me hesitate at $60.

Pretty much the same, exact reason I'm holding off. $60 is a lot to put down for something I will probably only play once or twice. I cleared my GF queue, so even though it has a low availability, hopefully it will ship.