Quality Wii game overload!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 saadman

saadman

Roll the hard six

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

Anyone else notice the sudden influx of awesome Wii games in the last little while?
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- NBA Jam
- Sonic Colors
- Metroid Other M (although many on the fence about it)
- Goldeneye
- Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey soon

Where was this momentum 4 years ago? I guess Nintendo had to step it up once the casual gamer love-fest died down. But is it too late now?

#2 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:57 AM

There have always been good Wii games being released. I'm not sure why suddenly everyone is saying that the Wii finally has a bunch coming out at once.

Yeah, there's a lot of good Wii games coming out. About the only difference is that the good games are advertising a lot.

#3 moothemagiccow

moothemagiccow

Tall buildings shake

• Silenced

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

These ones just have good PR and are all sequels

#4 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

Earlier in the year you also had Monster Hunter Tri and SMG 2, and holiday 2009 had NSMB Wii.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#5 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

Where was this momentum 4 years ago? I guess Nintendo had to step it up once the casual gamer love-fest died down.

I think you answered your own question.

You also forgot the Mario Collection.

seanr1221.png

#6 animalspinners

animalspinners

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

And Epic Mickey.

#7 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hmm is epic yarn that good? I may have to look into it.

Have not got Metroid other M yet either... working on downsizing my games...
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#8 blackjaw

blackjaw

probably surfing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Too late for me at least. Sold my Wii a few years back and have no interest in getting another one.

#9 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

good blackjaw, go play the kinect ;-)
-Josh

Posted Image

TRADE LIST

#10 VGMStudios

VGMStudios

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

what do you ppl think of Disaster Day of Crisis?

VGM out...

#11 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hmm is epic yarn that good? I may have to look into it.

Yes. Oh my god, yes.

It's in my opinion as good as Super Mario Galaxy 2, if not better.

#12 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

Yes. Oh my god, yes.

It's in my opinion as good as Super Mario Galaxy 2, if not better.

Maybe not as challenging, but certainly as fun, if not moreso.

#13 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

Anyone's wife get into kirby?
-Josh

Posted Image

TRADE LIST

#14 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

So... um... why exactly are you reading and commenting in the Wii forums?
:-k

because with a title like "Quality Wii Game Overload" a former Wii owner might be curious as to what the buzz is lately to see if one is missing out on something.

#15 kingtopher

kingtopher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

Too late for me at least. Sold my Wii a few years back and have no interest in getting another one.

I'm the exact opposite. NSMBW piqued my interested last holiday season, Super Mario Galaxy looked great too, but it has been the recent lineup of stuff mentioned in the OP that finally convinced me that there were enough games on the system that I could justify buying it and I've been having a blast playing a few of them along with a handful of virtual console games in the last month or so. Seems like a great time to jump on board.

#16 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

Maybe not as challenging, but certainly as fun, if not moreso.

It's definitely not as challenging, but I'm more readily placing Kirby's Epic Yarn as my GOTY for Wii than I am Super Mario Galaxy 2, that's for sure.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is just so.... amazing. It's not the difficulty, although some levels piss you off, but it's everything together.

#17 Donburiboy

Donburiboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

I am playing Wii way more than my PS3 currently. Still working on Monster Hunter Tri. Close to finishing Mario Galaxy 2. I have a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy and I just finished the first Prime tonight. I have Kirby waiting for me. Will probably pick up DKCR for Xmas.

My GF and I still regularly play Mario Kart, too. Speaking of, she was a big fan of Mario Party 8, so given that, is Wii Party a good gift for her?

#18 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:00 AM

yet I still dont own a Wii. But as soon as they hit $50 like the PS One did I will get one :D

#19 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:00 AM

I'll be honest, I played some of Wii Party and I think it would have been better served as an add-on to the Wii bundle like Wii Sports Resort. It's really not that great, unless you're really interested in a bunch of mini-games.

#20 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:43 AM

I saw some promo videos for Pac Man Party, and that seemed closer to the Mario Party experience than Wii Party. I'll be picking up Pac Man Party in a couple of months when it's reduced to $20.

#21 pixi

pixi

Megabitch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:03 AM

I'm still disappointed with most of these titles. Wii has never impressed me, except for the first time I played. I haven't tried epic yarn yet bu plan on it bu don't look forward to it.

#22 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:59 AM

If you are not enthused by Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, or Donkey Kong Country Returns, or any of the Wii's smash hits, you probably are better off just selling your console and going back to the 360 or PS3.

There are at least three Wii games this year that can compete for GOTY across all consoles: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Not to mention all of the other games that are A titles this year; if you can't find SOMETHING in the big hits that you like, the Wii obviously isn't for you.

#23 pixi

pixi

Megabitch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

If you are not enthused by Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey, or Donkey Kong Country Returns, or any of the Wii's smash hits, you probably are better off just selling your console and going back to the 360 or PS3.

There are at least three Wii games this year that can compete for GOTY across all consoles: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Not to mention all of the other games that are A titles this year; if you can't find SOMETHING in the big hits that you like, the Wii obviously isn't for you.

The visuals of Epic Mickey prevented me from enjoying the game. I could barely see anything. I was afraid it was eventually going to show suicide mouse. The gameplay was ok but I got bored easy and the game was headace-inducing.

My experience with DKCR has been completely disatisfied. I hate this game with a passion. It is so boring. I love the classic donkey kong country games but I was just not impressed, and the game was aggrivating as frick when you actually try to collect things. DKC was a very dark, mysterious series with a serious soundtrack to go with, and the light family-friendly approach just killed it for me.

I plan on trying epic yarn only because I have faith that it is good, but for some reason I really just don't look forward to playing it. Most Kirby games keep my attention bu I just don't know about this one. Don't think it could possibly be GOTY material. There are a couple more games that have done better, including the unfortunately underrated Heavy Rain.

#24 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

DKC was a very dark, mysterious series with a serious soundtrack to go with, and the light family-friendly approach just killed it for me.

Are you sure you weren't playing Call of DKC?

#25 pixi

pixi

Megabitch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

I wish call of duty was as serious as DKC

#26 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

Well this holiday lineup is miles better than last year's, which was basically NSMB Wii and Wii Fit Plus. Didn't hurt console sales though.

It's funny that someone mentioned that they're all sequels. What are the best sellers on the 360 and PS3 right now? Call of Duty? Fallout NV? Assassin's Creed? Halo Reach? Not to mention that MS and Sony are advertising their motion control devices (and casual software) while Nintendo is releasing games for the core gamer.

EDIT: took another look at the OP's list, and NBA Jam was released on the 360/PS3 (thanks EA for the "console-exclusive" with no online), while Sonic Colors is getting rave reviews, but it may be too little too late for the Sonic brand. "Good Sonic game" is almost an oxymoron. ;)

#27 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

The devil's music:

Posted Image

#28 SuperPhillip

SuperPhillip

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

I'm still disappointed with most of these titles. Wii has never impressed me, except for the first time I played. I haven't tried epic yarn yet bu plan on it bu don't look forward to it.

Then sell it and shut up instead of whining to people who don't give a shit (and stop shitting up the thread).
I hate the 360, but I don't hang out on their forums bitching incessantly about the damned fragile piece of shit.

EDIT: man, that came off as mean. No patience for mtrolls, I guess.

#29 kingtopher

kingtopher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Then sell it and shut up instead of whining to people who don't give a shit (and stop shitting up the thread).
I hate the 360, but I don't hang out on their forums bitching incessantly about the damned fragile piece of shit.

EDIT: man, that came off as mean. No patience for mtrolls, I guess.

I think it came off just fine because you're right. I just bought a red Wii when it was released because I wanted to play a handful of the games that were already out (like NSMBW and Mario Galaxy) and because this quarter had quite a few great-looking titles that I wanted to play. It was enough to justify buying it and I've been having a blast. My PS3 is great for shooters, action titles, RPGs and sports games but it really sucks as far as platformers go and I'm happy to finally have a Wii with some great platformer titles. Since I didn't have a Wii before I'd never really ventured into the Wii forums and I've been kind of surprised how many people just troll through Wii threads to say how much they hate the Wii. It's a game console and it has a library with a lot of good titles. Sure there's more crappy ones and sure the motion controls might not be for everyone but I don't understand how you can hate a console so much that it makes you hate games you would otherwise like. I also don't understand hating a console so much that you're constantly compelled to go into forums and threads you have no interest in and say how little interest you have in them.

#30 thirdrose

thirdrose

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

I'll be honest, I played some of Wii Party and I think it would have been better served as an add-on to the Wii bundle like Wii Sports Resort. It's really not that great, unless you're really interested in a bunch of mini-games.

Forgive me, but aren't mini-games the point of Wii Party? (Which would mean it actually is great at what it is trying to do.)

Anyways, I've felt that the entire year has provided a nice stream of quality Wii games.