194 replies to this topic

#1 blockbusterdude

blockbusterdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:20 AM

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B003AQBYUG/

http://blockbusterdu...e0a057a9970b-pi

The UK price is listed at £29.97 but when you put it in your shopping cart the price drops to £25.51

**Select... Standard (6-10 business days)

£25.51 + £3.08 (shipping) = £28.59

converted to US dollars = $46.88 shipped

BEST PRICE ANYWHERE!!!

----------------

http://blockbusterdu...c6a9ba5b970c-pi

#2 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

Great deal. Although be prepared to wait a couple of weeks before it arrives.
Xecutioner
CML

#3 sociopharm02

sociopharm02

The Pure Raw Uncut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

great deal and im in for 1, thanks for the heads up, I can stomach paying this but 70 was just too much.
Posted Image

#4 sabin23

sabin23

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

is this the exact same set as the US version (i.e. Region 1)??

#5 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Price just dropped to $40.12 shipped. I couldn't resist.
Xecutioner
CML

#6 linkbear

linkbear

Too Cool For School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

The blu's here are region free.

#7 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Now £21.27.

#8 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

$40 shipped! That is crazy awesome. :)

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#9 joshnorm

joshnorm

Hey, Wha Happen..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

God damn it. I think I might get this for Xmas but I really don't want to miss out on the deal.

#10 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Amazing. Ordered it.

Thanks for the tip, OP.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#11 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Can someone who's ordered from Amazon UK lately tell me how long the slow shipping to the US usually takes?

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#12 Darknuke

Darknuke

Guncraft: Voxel-FPS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

I've been waiting for a deal on this FOREVER. Thanks OP. $40 is definitely the sweet spot for this set.

SteamWidget.PNG

#13 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm a blu-ray noob, will these imports work fine on a U.S. PlayStation 3?

#14 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Can someone who's ordered from Amazon UK lately tell me how long the slow shipping to the US usually takes?

Sure.

I've ordered four BD sets from Amazon.co.uk in the last few months, around early November for three of them and the Alien set here at the beginning of the month.

The sets I ordered in early November shipped about a day after ordering and arrived about a week after they were shipped out. My Alien set shipped on the 2nd and I haven't seen it yet, though the mail hasn't made it here today. There's notices all over the Amazon.co.uk site that they're having weather issues all over the country that's adding 2-3 days delay to domestic shipments so I'd assume the same for international shipments.

When I put it into my cart this morning to see the current USD price, it's saying that it would be delivered after Christmas, so I wouldn't order this from Amazon.co.uk if you're looking to have this as a Christmas present for someone. If you don't care about shipping speeds, this is a great deal.

I'm a blu-ray noob, will these imports work fine on a U.S. PlayStation 3?

These are region-free releases, so yes, they work OK in a US BluRay player. Not all BluRay releases are region free, so you need to check before you order.

#15 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

My delivery estimate is Jan 3, 2011, but it is the holidays when the most packages are circulating in the US.

This particular BR is region-free, so it should work in all BR players (well, at least if there's a problem, it won't be because of region-coding).

Also, price went back up to £24.99.

#16 erectiontown

erectiontown

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Couldn't resist, thanks.

#17 erectiontown

erectiontown

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

My delivery estimate is Jan 3, 2011, but it is the holidays when the most packages are circulating in the US.

This particular BR is region-free, so it should work in all BR players (well, at least if there's a problem, it won't be because of region-coding).

Also, price went back up to £24.99.

No, it goes down to 21 once you add to your cart and VAT is subtracted. Just ordered for 39.83 shipped.

#18 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

These are region-free releases, so yes, they work OK in a US BluRay player. Not all BluRay releases are region free, so you need to check before you order.

Thanks for the clarification! Okay, I bit on this. Thanks OP!

#19 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

I didn't realize they automatically removed the VAT. I did order from Amazon UK once prior, but that was a while ago.

#20 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

I didn't realize they automatically removed the VAT. I did order from Amazon UK once prior, but that was a while ago.

As soon as you indicate you're having it shipped to the US, VAT disappears. All Amazon.co.uk prices are auto-set with VAT included, as they assume you're in the UK shopping on Amazon.co.uk.

#21 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Wow, I hadn't even factored in the lack of U.S. sales tax (New Yorkers get charged with regular Amazon). I'll definitely have to keep a watchful eye on these UK blu-ray deals from now on. I missed out an some savings with the "Planet Earth" series, but thankfully that just amounted to a few bucks. Now, here I am getting ~48% off one of my wishlist items. Beautiful!!

#22 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

Wow, I hadn't even factored in the lack of U.S. sales tax (New Yorkers get charged with regular Amazon). I'll definitely have to keep a watchful eye on these UK blu-ray deals from now on. I missed out an some savings with the "Planet Earth" series, but thankfully that just amounted to a few bucks. Now, here I am getting ~48% off one of my wishlist items. Beautiful!!

Not every BD title is region-free, so you need to make sure it's region-free before ordering.

I replied to your post in the general BD discussion thread about a couple of resources I've used previously.

#23 demonchylde

demonchylde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Jumped on it too. Out the door for a little more than $38 shipped! Thanks for posting such a great deal.

#24 blakhawkjohn

blakhawkjohn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

I ordered "life" from amazon uk that I was told was region free and lo and behold it would not play in any of my region 1 players. I never could figure out where I made the mistake. Needless to say I'm leery ordering from amazon uk again. I'm sure it was my error but anyways.

#25 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Ugh, $40 is my sweet spot for this but I'd rather use up some Amazon credit to get it. Really wish this was in the US. :\

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#26 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

I ordered "life" from amazon uk that I was told was region free and lo and behold it would not play in any of my region 1 players. I never could figure out where I made the mistake. Needless to say I'm leery ordering from amazon uk again. I'm sure it was my error but anyways.

The problem with Life (as with the Planet Earth SE) is that it was created for British TV (which runs at 50hz, as opposed to US TVs which run at 60hz), and is therefore encoded on the disc at 1080i50, which many US blu-ray players (and TVs) cannot play. Here's a post that I made on a thread about Planet Earth regarding the issue with some more info:

Be aware that the special edition is encoded in 1080i50, and a US PS3 (and many other US blu-ray players) won't be able to play it because they can't do 50hz playback.

There's a (now somewhat outdated) list here of US blu-ray players that will be able to play the special edition: http://forum.blu-ray...patibility.html If your blu-ray player isn't on that list, I would make the assumption that your blu-ray player can't play it unless you can specifically find out otherwise. Keep in mind that even if your player is on the list, you will also need either a TV that supports 50hz, or a video processor to convert it to a frame rate that your TV does support (unless your blu-ray player is capable of doing the frame rate conversion to 60hz itself, which a few models are).

Also, while the blu-rays are region-free, the included DVD is region locked to region 2. You'll need a region-free DVD player in order to play it.

The original set (the one in the OP here) is 1080p24, so it will play on US players without an issue. Unfortunately, it has several problems of its own (which the special edition was meant to fix). It seems that we just can't get a break on the issues with this title over here.

Movies, for the most part, won't be a problem, as they are generally encoded at 24fps. Still, it's one more thing to watch out for when importing discs.

Ugh, $40 is my sweet spot for this but I'd rather use up some Amazon credit to get it. Really wish this was in the US. :\

Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.

#27 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

I prefer the trays in the UK version as well.

#28 blakhawkjohn

blakhawkjohn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

The problem with Life (as with the Planet Earth SE) is that it was created for British TV (which runs at 50hz, as opposed to US TVs which run at 60hz), and is therefore encoded on the disc at 1080i50, which many US blu-ray players (and TVs) cannot play. Here's a post that I made on a thread about Planet Earth regarding the issue with some more info:

Movies, for the most part, won't be a problem, as they are generally encoded at 24fps. Still, it's one more thing to watch out for when importing discs.

Worth noting, the packaging for the UK version is somewhat different from the US version (the UK version has actual digipack trays, whereas with the US version, the discs are slid in and out of slots in the cardboard). Personally, I strongly prefer the UK packaging and have been waiting for a deal on the UK version. I may have to order this.

Thx for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated
We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time.

#29 linkbear

linkbear

Too Cool For School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:22 PM

Sure.

I've ordered four BD sets from Amazon.co.uk in the last few months, around early November for three of them and the Alien set here at the beginning of the month.

The sets I ordered in early November shipped about a day after ordering and arrived about a week after they were shipped out. My Alien set shipped on the 2nd and I haven't seen it yet, though the mail hasn't made it here today. There's notices all over the Amazon.co.uk site that they're having weather issues all over the country that's adding 2-3 days delay to domestic shipments so I'd assume the same for international shipments.

When I put it into my cart this morning to see the current USD price, it's saying that it would be delivered after Christmas, so I wouldn't order this from Amazon.co.uk if you're looking to have this as a Christmas present for someone. If you don't care about shipping speeds, this is a great deal.

I ordered Harry Potter blu-ray set and the Planet Earth (non SE) from amazon UK Thanksgiving weekend. I received Planet Earth a week later, but have yet to receive Harry Potter. Realize the weather there a couple weeks ago was grounding a lot of flights, just thought it was weird that the Planet Earth I ordered a few days after the Harry Potter set got here first.

#30 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

I ordered Harry Potter blu-ray set and the Planet Earth (non SE) from amazon UK Thanksgiving weekend. I received Planet Earth a week later, but have yet to receive Harry Potter. Realize the weather there a couple weeks ago was grounding a lot of flights, just thought it was weird that the Planet Earth I ordered a few days after the Harry Potter set got here first.

My girlfriend ordered a bunch of CDs from Amazon UK on Nov. 24th, and according to Amazon they were all shipped on the same day in two separate packages. A box with a few of them showed up about a week later on Dec. 2nd, but the other larger box has yet to show up. She's freaked out that it got lost or stolen. I've been telling her not to worry about it yet because it's such a busy shipping time, though that's getting harder to defend by the day. Tomorrow is actually Amazon's estimated delivery date on it, so if it doesn't show up by then, we're going to file a claim -- and probably get told to wait another week or two, but at least we'll have set the wheels in motion. I just hope that if it comes down to it, Amazon UK is as good about replacing lost/missing items as Amazon US is.

But anyway, yeah, delivery from Amazon UK in the US is seriously unpredictable, mostly due to complications from international/overseas shipping. You just have to kind of roll with it and accept that orders from them are sometimes going to come right away, and sometimes take a long while to arrive.