Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies $19.99 at Amazon

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 R2Detour

R2Detour

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-IX-Sentinels-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002I0EH6I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293749662&sr=8-3/">
DQ IX $19.99</a>

PS. Yeah, i suck at the whole link stuff. So sue me :b

#2 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

I don't think Newbies can post links.

Incredible price for this game. Sooner than I expected.

#3 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Amazing game. Put in 100+ hours into my file.

#4 InFlames215

InFlames215

DEATH TO FALSE METAL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Here it is: Dragon Quest IX

#5 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Dragon Quest taught me roman numerals.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#6 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

I think it's a Best Buy price match. I think there's a thread already for BBY.

#7 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

If you have a DS and you like RPGs, get this. It's incredible.

#8 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Wow, amazing price on probably the best portable JRPG ever.

#9 patches48

patches48

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

Even through Black Friday, was DQIX ever this cheap?

#10 tukai

tukai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Such a great game. We have 4 people in our house that play this. We went to the DQ event and got free t-shirts,posters, and grottos for our DQ

#11 autche

autche

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

It was either 19.99 or 14.99 on black friday (on amazon, for a brief time).

#12 Diebythesword

Diebythesword

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:11 AM

It was $17 and 19.99 on BF

#13 UltraMysteryDopplega

UltraMysteryDopplega

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

I don't even see how this can even be called a "jrpg." It has create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot. That puts it more in line with old western PC rpgs like Might and Magic, and DQIX does not compare favorably.

It's pretty sad to see such a venerable series take a huge step back from the excellent DQVIII. If they wanted to make a hand-held side game and call it something different then fine, but I don't like the numbered console DQ games being besmirched through association with this turd. It's similar to making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an official numbered game...Square avoided that for a reason.

#14 likenew

likenew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

I don't even see how this can even be called a "jrpg." It has create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot. That puts it more in line with old western PC rpgs like Might and Magic, and DQIX does not compare favorably.

It's pretty sad to see such a venerable series take a huge step back from the excellent DQVIII. If they wanted to make a hand-held side game and call it something different then fine, but I don't like the numbered console DQ games being besmirched through association with this turd. It's similar to making Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an official numbered game...Square avoided that for a reason.

I agree, I quit playing a bit after curing the disease...no story, very boring.

#15 Xiemos

Xiemos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

It's story is simple, but charming. Each town will have a confined story and a dilemma. You arrive to find out what the problem is, go through a few quests to fix it, then move to the next town. Rinse and repeat.

What I disliked most about the game is how easy it was. Seemed off after playing DQ8.

#16 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

Get the Fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#17 loveangel

loveangel

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

wow best price ,

Games My life..8.gif

#18 lukejskywalker

lukejskywalker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

Great game at a great price!
Let's roll in my covered wagon!

#19 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:20 AM

Tempted to finally pick it up at this price.

mew.gif?t=1406933044mew2.gif?t=1406933043

#20 UltraMysteryDopplega

UltraMysteryDopplega

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

Get the Fuck out of this thread. DQIII had create-a-characters who don't talk and almost no plot and it is one of the finest JRPGs ever made. Though I do agree that IX is one of the weaker games in the series, you basically knocked DQIII (and many other old-school JRPGs- don't tell me Final Fantasy isn't a JRPG) and that shit isn't cool.

u mad?

#21 gkrykewy

gkrykewy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:17 AM

Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.

#22 sonicradiation

sonicradiation

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:24 AM

As a side note... do not start a brand new game of Etrian Odyssy III after playing DQIX for 10 hours - it will make your head hurt. :shock:

#23 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

Best selling DQ game of all time, IIRC. Not a turd.

Best-selling=/=Not a turd. Though DQ9 isn't a turd in the least even though many games in the series are better imo.

u mad?

And yes, I mad. Because your post was stupid and factually wrong. It's fine to have opinions about games' quality but to claim DQ9 is not a JRPG just because the story is bad and you make your own characters.... now that's a fail.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#24 Altanis

Altanis

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

When Golden Sun: Dark Dawn came out for the DS, you could get DQ9 for $14.99 if you bought the two games together at Kmart.
Provided you did that, that was the lowest I can recall DQ9 going.
It was $17 on Black Friday at Target, though, and $19.99 at Amazon (I also want to say Amazon had it for $17 on Cyber Monday, might be wrong though).

#25 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Yes, Amazon matched Target's $17 price. I bought it from them.
Posted Image

#26 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

I finally bit with all of the good reviews around the net and on here.
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#27 Urahara

Urahara

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Great find, thanks for the heads up OP.

#28 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Great game, but I never did much of the grotto extra stuff. Too bad it doesn't have extra files to start a new game on... I'll lose all my gamestop grottoes.
Posted Image

#29 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Best RPG on the DS, period, and a worthy entry to the DQ series. The plot is light, but also a nice change from the standard RPG formula. The people you help along the course of the story become the characters, each town is a microcosm of the story and has it's own feel. It's very different but I completely loved it, so don't listen to the naysayers.

I snagged this for $20 the week of release thanks to a BB price match with TRU, they were offering a GC with purchase and BB just removed the value of the card from the overall price. Since July I've logged over 200 hours and I'm not bored yet. Get it!
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#30 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

I decided to go ahead and get this, I knew I should have snagged it when it was $17, oh well, its only 3 bucks I guess. Thanks OP

Quick question, will I be ok just jumping into this without any other DQ experience?

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Wolfenstein  :ps4: Octodad   :360:    :ps3: Used for a 3D player now   :3ds:-Pok√©mon X, Zelda:ALBW (3DS FC: 0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/