96 replies to this topic

#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

http://www.torchligh...coming-to-xbla/
Runic Games details what's new and the same in the XBLA port:

We are proud to announce that Torchlight will be coming to Xbox 360 as a part of Microsoft’s House Party promotion in Spring 2011!

“We couldn’t be happier to bring Torchlight to Xbox LIVE Arcade,” says CEO Max Schaefer. “This is what the fans have been asking for. Torchlight for the Xbox 360 is a new way to experience a great game, and we’re thrilled to work with Microsoft to bring it to fruition.”

Q: What has been changed to make the game work on the 360?

A: The UI is COMPLETELY overhauled from the ground up. Nothing works the same. All new art and navigation. The concept of item ’slots’ is done away with – you just have a number of items you can hold ( 50 – ignores stack counts ). Potions and scrolls stack up to 99. Potions ‘auto pick’ the best potion to heal you or regen mana. You don’t have to think about it or map it. We iterated on the UI a ridiculous amount.

You can have 4 active mapped skills at a time, and a secondary set that you can swap between (using the dpad) for 8 mapped skills. Most of us actually find it easier to use a variety of skills on the console vs. PC, oddly enough.

Force feedback is in for quakes, strikes, low health heartbeats, and tugs on the fishing line Posted Image Feels nice.

Q: How are controls different?

A: Control is direct – no virtual cursors ever. Combat is a little different – you move forward slightly with melee attacks and all the attack animations are redone to support this. You don’t ‘target’ enemies – you’ll get a red highlight for a ‘primary’ target that is in range, but for melee attacks you hit everything in your damage cone (secondary targets get secondary damage ). Feels natural and does what you expect.

Ranged combat is actually in many ways easier – kiting and dodging are significantly more viable with a controller and the autotargeting for ranged attacks works pretty well. ‘lobbed’ skills mapped to the triggers have a default distance, but you can finesse them for longer or shorter throws by holding the trigger at a given depth. Combat pace feels ‘faster’ and more maneuverable. If you’ve played classics like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, you have the general idea ( but no jumping ). Movement speed is analog – you can move slower by easing on the stick, something you can’t do at all on PC.

Q: Has anything been removed/added for the console version?

A: No skills have been omitted. Some skills have had alterations to their functionality to make them feel better ( i.e. you don’t select corpses to summon a Nether Imp – you just cast it and if there’s a corpse around, there you go ).

Pretty much everything from the PC version is here. We didn’t remove any features, with the exception of secondary weapon sets, because there was no way we could find that didn’t feel horrible in inventory management. Socketing, enchanting, fishing, the infinite dungeon, item combination, are all represented.

We brought over some goodies from TL2 to the console version. Loading times are much reduced. Better animation blending makes combat snappier ( hard to describe, but you’ll probably feel it ). Automaps are brought over from TL2’s new automap system ( They are rendered out and much more readable, and icons cleave to the borders of the ring ). In addition, there are three new armor sets (one for each class), some new random quests for one of the miners in town, and a new pet – the Chakawary.

Screenshots

Edited by FriskyTanuki, 09 February 2011 - 08:35 PM.

#2 GregSal1

GregSal1

Computer says no.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for posting this Op. Any word on the price?

#3 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:58 PM

Honestly I feel they should have put all effort into Torchlight 2, released that and then ported it over to consoles with its multiplayer.

#4 OnyxPrimal

OnyxPrimal

Chocolate Goodness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

Honestly I feel they should have put all effort into Torchlight 2, released that and then ported it over to consoles with its multiplayer.

I assume the XBLA is the "test". If it does well I see a retail release of Torchlight 2 in the future. I'm still down for this. I'll spend more time with it on 360 than I will for PC. I'll actually be able to control it now. Keybord/mouse never works for me.

#5 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:46 AM

I'm still down for this. I'll spend more time with it on 360 than I will for PC. I'll actually be able to control it now. Keybord/mouse never works for me.

Me too. Actually they should've just added multiplayer to this and called it a day. Anyone want to guess on price? 800?

#6 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

I'd be surprised if it's less than 1200 points since it's a $20 Steam game.

#7 FrankySox

FrankySox

4 more than Lebron

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

I can't wait for this. Watched some gameplay, and I love games like this. Too bad there aren't more like this on the 360. Watching gameplay of this reminded me of the good ol days of Baldurs Gate and Champions of Norrath on the PS2.
CAREER STATS: 521 HR, .301 BA, .419 OBP, 2 MVPs, 0 STEROIDS
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

I would also guess the game will cost $15. Probably go on sale at some point for $10.

I played the demo for the game on PC. Wasn't something I felt like paying even $5 for. I'll give the XBLA demo a try as well.

#9 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:55 AM

yeah I didn't like the PC version either, the fact that they are basically redoing it is a good thing IMO. Might be worth it.

#10 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

http://www.joystiq.c...me-to-consoles/

Runic Games' CEO indicates that it'll probably be $15, though it's Microsoft that decides the price, not Runic.

#11 Khalid

Khalid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

House party titles will probably all be 1200. It will be nice to play in on the Xbox 360 but I will wait for a price drop with the deals of the week.

#12 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, all House Party titles are likely to go on sale at some point. Since I already own the PC version, I'll wait for a deal on this one. It does sound nicely optimized for the 360 though.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#13 GeneralTacticus

GeneralTacticus

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

This is one of those titles I've been interested in but always skipped. If the controls feel good on the 360 I might finally break down and buy it, I don't know. Multiplayer is what I really want though.

#14 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Runic Games' CEO indicates that it'll probably be $15, though it's Microsoft that decides the price, not Runic.

If you asked MS what the price was, they would say the developers set the price. ;)

#15 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

i thought Torchlight single player was just a big beta test for an online MMO type community in the future? I didn't think there was a TL2 on the way. If anything they could add more classes or alternate ones, I've seen some pretty decent mods/skins for Torchlight.

#16 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

i thought Torchlight single player was just a big beta test for an online MMO type community in the future? I didn't think there was a TL2 on the way. If anything they could add more classes or alternate ones, I've seen some pretty decent mods/skins for Torchlight.

No, they're games in the Torchlight universe that the MMO will expand upon whenever it comes out in a few years. Until then, they're working on this and Torchlight 2, which the latter adds new classes, more towns, new pets, and online/local co-op.

#17 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

hmmm...well that answers my question and also probably determines if I get torchlight for XBL or not.

#18 Iviadness

Iviadness

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

I am pretty excited about this game, I loved Diablo and never got a chance to check this out on PC I hope the starting price is not crazy high.

#19 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

I bought this for $5 on Steam so I almost feel obligated to pay full price considering the time I put into the PC version (that and it was the ONLY PC game I bought that year! Last year only game I bought was SC2). I just wish they added multiplayer even if it was only one person, cause that was the only thing it lacked.

Heres hoping Torchlight 2 sees a simultaneous console release.

#20 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...-hd-torchlight/
Torchlight has a date and price, which is March 9 and $15.

#21 FrankySox

FrankySox

4 more than Lebron

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Can't wait to check this one out. Too bad it comes out the same week as Dragon Age, might have to wait for a sale on this.
CAREER STATS: 521 HR, .301 BA, .419 OBP, 2 MVPs, 0 STEROIDS
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Big St3ph3n

Big St3ph3n

Strange MUSIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Figures the same week as dragon age. lol. Cant wait.
Posted Image
NINTENDO ID: Bigst3ph3n
Part of THE MEDIOCRE NATION: THE MEDIOCRE SHOW
Twitter: @bigst3ph3n -- RIP 2pac, BIG and Sega Dreamcast.

#23 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

http://www.giantbomb...t-xbla/17-3846/

Giant Bomb has a quick look for Torchlight on XBLA now.

http://www.metacriti.../critic-reviews

A few reviews have popped up so far since the embargo ended today, though it may take time for more reviews since it's a long game. The achievements look really tame compared to the Steam achievements, which are just mostly about beating bosses rather than having crazy long-term goals for the Steam version.

#24 jaredstorm

jaredstorm

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

One day after Dragon Age 2! bullocks!

608212.png

#25 Survivalism

Survivalism

CAG's Lance Boyle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:23 PM

Fantastic. Xbox has not nearly enough Diablo clones and such games aren't tremendously prudent on a netbook.

#26 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Can't wait to check this one out. Too bad it comes out the same week as Dragon Age, might have to wait for a sale on this.

it is most likely DA:2 will go on sale well before Torchlight gets a price reduction...I'm going to wait til DA:2 hits $19.99 :) if I even get it at all. Hope there's a TL demo.

#27 jaredstorm

jaredstorm

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

it is most likely DA:2 will go on sale well before Torchlight gets a price reduction...I'm going to wait til DA:2 hits $19.99 :) if I even get it at all. Hope there's a TL demo.

They always have demos (trials) of arcade games. No worries man.

#28 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Fantastic. Xbox has not nearly enough Diablo clones and such games aren't tremendously prudent on a netbook.

Not sure what you mean, Torchlight runs great on a netbook.

#29 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

So excited for this. I have off on Wednesday so it should be a good day :)

seanr1221.png

#30 Jabrim

Jabrim

Inside a county jail

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

So excited for this. I have off on Wednesday so it should be a good day :)

Fack! I thought it came out tomorrow, thought for some reason it was Tuesday! I work Wednesday and Thursday :bomb:
Posted Image