DJ Max PORTABLE 3 (PSP) $17.75 on Amazon.com

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

This game had a limited print run in the US. Only available on Bemanistyle.com and Amazon.com. The international versions being available on Play-Asia too. Only 5000 copies were made.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0040GBBK8/

Normally its 39.99. Never went on sale during the holidays, so this is a pretty good deal!

Also, rankings and patch 2.0 coming later this month!

http://www.bemanisty...-2-0-patch-2018

Edited by Gosha, 31 January 2011 - 01:08 AM.

#2 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Overall it's a fun game, and this is a great price.

Know that the current US UMD and PSN version is due for a patch soon (the Korean version was recently patched. Just highlight the game in the XMB, press Triangle and select Update.). As it is right now, the experience you earn is stingy (others and myself grind missions since they give far, far more experience), there's a playcount glitch that will lock some earnable patterns, and the accuracy required for the x.T modes is quite exacting. It's been confirmed by some players at Bemanistyle.com's DJMP3 forum that the Korean patch alleviates these and a few other things for the Korean version, so hopefully the US version gets its update soon, too (but not tonight; I tried after this evening's PSN update :\).

Regarding the good stuff, I think DJMP3's ability to Install Data on a memory stick greatly improves the load times just like Black Square and the Clazziquai Edition. The DJMP2/Fever/Hot Tunes ability to equip notes, characters and gear to add modifiers (extra experience, Auto Corrects, etc.) is back, you unlock stuff in the usual ways as well as via a slot machine style method after each level-up (so no empty level ups like in some other versions), and you even get to see your playcount in the Lounge menu (it was missing in Fever and Hot Tunes - ugh). There are all sorts of other pluses like the x.T modes where you use the analog stick and buttons to play remix tracks. Most of the remixes are pretty good and often use samples from other classic DJMP songs.

So don't let that stop you from getting the game at this price. I have enjoyed it a lot and have managed to play around 800 songs and reach level 45 so far.

#3 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

That's good price for DJ Max Portable 3, especially for the UMD version. Only 5000 copies in North America, did DJ Max Portable not sell well in NA?

#4 j-fever

j-fever

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Its available at Fry's BM too.
Last-Gen Kinda Rare Game Topic, way out of date...
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=53810

Game TL

http://www.cheapassg...356#post7455356

#5 ThatOneGuyWho

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Definitely worth the price! Anyone who hasn't tried DJ Max Portable should give it a go, great music game.

#6 Vectorman0

Vectorman0

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Can someone please point me to a source regarding this "5000 copy" print run?

#7 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...psn-october-19/

#8 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

That's good price for DJ Max Portable 3, especially for the UMD version. Only 5000 copies in North America, did DJ Max Portable not sell well in NA?

Here's the confirmation of only 5000 NA copies being initially available:
http://www.bemanistyle.com/djmp3/

I can't find the post at Bemanistyle.com, but I'm positive that the developer implied that the PSN would be the main way the game would be sold, with the UMD version being somewhat secondary.

Either version of the game you get is going to be fine, especially since the UMD load times with Data Install are very snappy. For now, the UMD is the cheapest option since the PSN version alone is still $39.99.

Edit: Added "initially" above to clarify that this was the starting number of physical copies. Obviously by now that number is far less ;)

Edited by NeoGutsman, 19 January 2011 - 10:09 PM.

#9 Wutang_KILLTHEM

Wutang_KILLTHEM

No More Kmart =[

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Well got my copy. Thanks op!
Posted Image

#10 zohar

zohar

ゾハル

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Here's the confirmation of only 5000 NA copies being available:
http://www.bemanistyle.com/djmp3/

I can't find the post at Bemanistyle.com, but I'm positive that the developer implied that the PSN would be the main way the game would be sold, with the UMD version being somewhat secondary.

Either version of the game you get is going to be fine, especially since the UMD load times with Data Install are very snappy. For now, the UMD is the cheapest option since the PSN version alone is still $39.99.

Either this game is selling incredibly horribly or this is BS. Amazon still has >999 copies...
Seeking any Xenosaga/Xenogears merchandise!

#11 lurkingsalt

lurkingsalt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

It's official. The 2.0 Patch is coming to both UMD (Jan.25) and PSN (Feb) versions . Rankings are also going to be launched as well.

http://www.bemanisty...-2-0-patch-2018

#12 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Either this game is selling incredibly horribly or this is BS. Amazon still has >999 copies...

I corrected my text above to reflect that the whole run was for 5000 copies. I didn't mean to imply that there were 5000 copies as of yesterday, of course.

Edit: Ah, sorry, I think I misinterpreted your earlier post, zohar. I think you were trying to say that it appears that the developer made more than 5000 copies but was marketing it as a lower number. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's still sad overall if that many physical copies are still around. 5000 isn't a large run at all, especially since Amazon wasn't the only place selling that version online. :(

#13 zohar

zohar

ゾハル

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Yeah that's what I was meant in your edit. It is indeed unfortunate :( I'm a big fan of rhythm games (sooo wish they would do Beatmania IIDX on the PS3 already), and it sucks to see this not sell well :\
Seeking any Xenosaga/Xenogears merchandise!

#14 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

Aww, got my copy a few weeks ago for $35. Oh, well. Fans of music games should take advantage of this.

Also can't wait for that patch to arrive next Tuesday.

#15 Justme8800

Justme8800

Not like the other 8799

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

I bit. I don't know how they keep convincing me to buy these. I now own four of them, all of which kick my ass in difficulty. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment... the soundtrack is usually worth it, at least.

#16 Alucardo666

Alucardo666

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Anyone else moderately suspicious of the fact that the price keeps dropping slowly but steadily? It's now $22.87....

#17 Justme8800

Justme8800

Not like the other 8799

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

And by now it's down to $22.30. How weird. Well, feel free to wait for a better deal, but if they sell out, don't hold your breath for a restock of this one. :p

#18 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

I brought mine from GS a few weeks back, they had the Fever lable on it, so I got it for $10. Pretty sweet deal.

It's pretty fun, I like it better than fever, but still haven't improved my skill beyond level 3 songs on 4 buttons :P

#19 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Anyone else moderately suspicious of the fact that the price keeps dropping slowly but steadily? It's now $22.87....

It's one of Amazon's clearance games. They will drop a few percent each day at noon PST. You have to be careful though, at some point it will bottom out and the price can spike all the way back up to what it started at before the drops.

#20 Alucardo666

Alucardo666

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

It's one of Amazon's clearance games. They will drop a few percent each day at noon PST. You have to be careful though, at some point it will bottom out and the price can spike all the way back up to what it started at before the drops.

Thanks for the heads up! :D In for one, as I'm having my doubts that it'll drop sub $15.

#21 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

I brought mine from GS a few weeks back, they had the Fever lable on it, so I got it for $10. Pretty sweet deal.

It's pretty fun, I like it better than fever, but still haven't improved my skill beyond level 3 songs on 4 buttons :P

I must admit that I played 4B mode almost exclusively in Fever for a LONG time as it was my first DJMP game. Eventually I got much better after a lot of practice. I like to think of practice with the series as typing practice. I remember taking a typing class in junior high and later in high school. Holy cow I was TERRIBLE, but by the time I finished high school I was typing like a fiend. Same with the DJMP games -- just keep at it with a pace you're comfy with and those patterns will run through your fingers without a second thought. Oh, and experiment with boosting the note drop speed to the 2x-2.5x zone. In general, this helped me immensely with note visibility since the notes were spread out much more. When the speed is at 1x with a lot of notes it becomes really, really hard to gauge your timing much less the actual patterns they're throwing at you.

Also, make sure you set the sound to Headphones and use headphones or earbuds to listen to the songs. I have no idea how people can play these games without hearing the subtleties, but maybe that's just me :) May I recommend the JVC HAFX67 Air Cushions found on Amazon.com? I have higher-end IEMs and headphones I use, but these are still my go-to earphones due to their all-around versatility, comfort and most of all sound.

So, keep practicing and soon you'll be knocking down those high level songs like I did. That's saying something as I'm not even remotely the most coordinated person (seriously). If I can do it, anyone can :D

#22 gepet0

gepet0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Is Fever the same game as dj max portable 3?

#23 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Fever contains a completely different songlist & doesn't have the Remix System. Fever also has a 5 Button & 8 Button mode not in Portable 3. Otherwise, in terms of gameplay (it is a music game, after all), they play very much the same.

#24 Ilikecoldbeverages

Ilikecoldbeverages

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Man, I ordered this at like 9 last night and it just arrived at my doorstep... I love Prime.

#25 darkpice

darkpice

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

in 4 1. thanks op.
Retail Store Hustler

#26 Wutang_KILLTHEM

Wutang_KILLTHEM

No More Kmart =[

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Damn this thing is dropping hard...
Posted Image

#27 Brahman

Brahman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Is Fever the same game as dj max portable 3?

Fever was pretty much select songs from DJMP 1 & 2 w/ DJMP2's interface for those who didn't import.

#28 Justme8800

Justme8800

Not like the other 8799

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

DJ Max Portable series recap, since some people seem interested:

• DJ Max Portable - The original one. This one is hard to find. If you see it for less than $50, jump on it. Or at least tell me. :)
  • DJ Max Portable 2 - Also rare. My favorite in terms of the soundtrack. The released a free demo for this one, it's a good track too. You can download it here.
  • DJ Max Portable Clazziquai Edition - This one tones down the brutal difficulty a bit, making it gentler to newbies. You can get it in a combo pack with Black Square for $45 on Play-Asia.
  • DJ Max Portable Black Square - A counterpoint to the easier Clazziquai Edition, released not long after. Designed for hardcore DJ Max fans.
  • DJ Max Portable 3 - The latest.

• DJ Max Fever - A compilation containing songs from DJMP and DJMP2. Exclusive to North America.
  • DJ Max Portable Hot Tunes - A compilation for Korea and Japan. It isn't the same as Fever, though it also contains music from DJMP and DJMP2.
Each game contains about 60 songs, and each song has it's own complete music video/animation/visualization. The series is known for its amazing level of visual polish. These games take the storage capacity of UMDs to the limits, so they aren't really suited for downloading unless you have a massive memory stick.

Hope someone finds this useful!

#29 speedy05

speedy05

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

sweet, that's a great re-cap of the series.

#30 dallow

dallow

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:40 AM

The game has been dropping about 20 cents everyday for the last month or so.
Kind of interesting.