Taco Bell sued for calling food 'beef'

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

An Alabama law firm is accusing Taco Bell of false advertising, saying the "ground beef" in its tacos contains just 35 percent meat — the rest is reportedly water, oats, "anti-dusting agents," and other fillers and seasonings. The class-action lawsuit was filed on behalf of a California woman, Amanda Obney, who isn't asking for money, but wants Taco Bell to tell customers exactly what is in their tacos, burritos, and chalupas. The fast-food chain said in a statement that it "prides itself on serving high quality Mexican inspired food with great value," and that it will "vigorously" fight any accusation that it misleads customers. Which side has the legitimate beef? (Watch a CNN report about the "meat filling")

http://theweek.com/a...or-meat-filling

I think the most disturbing part of all of this is that the USDA only requires 40% beef for "taco filling"...Taco Bell is just a little short.

Oh, and here's the ingrediant list for Taco Bell's "taco filling"...

Beef, water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

http://gizmodo.com/5...taco-bells-beef

Enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Wait. So I can still eat this and get some fiber in my diet? Awesome!

(Most people aren't going to Taco Bell because it's nutritious or good food...)

#3 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something. Can't we just use Hormel Chili with beans to a similar effect?

After watching those Mexican cooking shows on PBS, I'm starting to crave making those foods, but am discouraged by the 10+ ingredients needed to make a torta.

Batsugunner.png

#4 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something.

exactly, they should be calling it a "taco meat filling chalupa".

Posted Image

#5 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Anti-dusting agent you say? I don't really care if the cow I'm eating got high or not. I mean, he kind of deserves it when I'm going to be expelling him from my bowels in around 12 hours minutes.

#6 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

I'm not really surprised, they don't claim to use 100% beef, they just say "beef chalupa" or something. Can't we just use Hormel Chili with beans to a similar effect?

After watching those Mexican cooking shows on PBS, I'm starting to crave making those foods, but am discouraged by the 10+ ingredients needed to make a torta.

O Mexico - 1 plate at a time? That guy isn't even mexican, is he?

He makes some good stuff, and his daughter is kinda cute, if a little young.

Face it, mexican food is basically peppers, meat, some kind of tortilla, cheese and beans in about 1,000,000,000 different variations.
Posted Image

#7 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

ROFL! Perfect, just how I like my Mexican food: sloppy and mysterious...both coming in, as well as the going out part! :D

CHA-CHA-CHALUPA!

#8 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

awesome!! Im makin a run for the border!

#9 Retom7

Retom7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Beef is the number one ingredient in their taco meat. They aren't claiming it's "100% All Beef"... and it's delicious. If everything tasted as delicious I could swear off beef tacos altogether and just have me some tofu and soy tacos.

#10 dannyox718

dannyox718

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Gasp! TBell is making us eat more grains and less meat? They're trying to kill us! Oh wait, their tacos are 80 cents? yeah then I don't care.

#11 Retom7

Retom7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

PS - just another excuse for a no name law firm to get into the papers. I could see if they were being secretive about their ingredients, but it's readily available information. It's not like the product is making people sick or caused any harm whatsoever. Yay for wasting more money in the court system for a stupid case that will probably be settled because it's cheaper for Taco Bell. It's sad really. I know she's not asking for any money, but no law firm is going to take on a legal case for disclosure of taco meat ingredients, and no class action suit member is going to front money to a law firm to represent it for that result. I would love to see what else that chick eats without suing those companies.

#12 Retom7

Retom7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Gasp! TBell is making us eat more grains and less meat? They're trying to kill us! Oh wait, their tacos are 80 cents? yeah then I don't care.

Lol, my thoughts exactly. It's not like they're using half formed or mutant chickens to produce their meat like KFC and others. Maybe they're mad because of the healthier fillers added. "If I wanted healthy, I'd fucking eat a salad."

#13 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I know where I'm going for lunch

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#14 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Stupid lawsuit.

But I've long avoided Taco Bell anyway, food is just disgusting. If I'm going to eat a crappy, unhealthy tex mex meal I at least want quality beef or chicken or pork etc. in it so I at least enjoy the taste whilst consuming too many calories.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#15 Retom7

Retom7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'm not saying Taco Bell is high quality, but man, does it hit the spot in my books from time to time. I would eat it once a month or so if I had it readily available. I try to only do fast food once every 2 weeks or longer though. I'd take Taco Bell over most others any day of the week. I know all of the issues people claim to have (taco shits, food poisoning, defacation in the meat, etc) but I've never felt bad after eating it or noticed any change in taste or quality. The same can't be said for burger king or mcdonalds in my area.

I swear though, if fast food wasn't bad for me, or expensive, I would probably eat it just about every day.

#16 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much an instant enema for me. But I have irritable bowel issues.

Fast food burgers don't bother me, but I still avoid them most of the time (other than maybe Five Guys occasionally). If I have to grab something from Mc Ds or BK etc. when in a hurry I'll with with a grilled chicken sandwich or a salad most of the time.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#17 LottaGames

LottaGames

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

These places certainly don't make it hard to avoid fast food... I'm lucky to east FF more than a handful of times a year. I just don't go anywhere often enough to need to buy this junk.

#18 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Don't act like all you mother fuckers don't LOVE the Bell.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#19 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

Who cares? Taco Bell is awesome.

#20 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Their beef wrong.

#21 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Posted Image

:drool:

That is all.

#22 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

I am actually more worried about their chicken

#23 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=285351

Actually beat you to the punch.;)
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#24 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

It took someone really this long to realize that. Wow.

As much as I sometimes eat there, we have always (I am going back 15 years when I was in High School) refer to Taco Hell's beef as dog food as it hardly looks like beef.

#25 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Posted Image

:drool:

That is all.

brb, going to TB.

#26 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

They'll never be able to live down this bad press. This is a PR nightmare for them.

My friends and I call it "Toxic Hell"

Does this mean it's ok for vegatarians to eat there?
Posted Image

#27 zionoverfire

zionoverfire

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

They'll never be able to live down this bad press. This is a PR nightmare for them.

My friends and I call it "Toxic Hell"

Does this mean it's ok for vegatarians to eat there?

Or people will go back to not giving a shit because hey it's cheap, I'm trying to think of a major fast food chain that hasn't survived a mountain of bad press.

#28 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

"Modified corn starch". Great so it's also got at least one GMO in it. X-(

Oh and notice that "autolyzed yeast extract"? That's usually code for including one or two of the ingredients of MSG in it.
You see, unless you have ALL the ingredients of MSG in it you don't have to label it as such. Just a word of warning.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#29 Chuplayer

Chuplayer

Anticitizen One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

Taco Bell literally puts sand in their beef. Look it up.
Boycotting Digital Press for blatant anti-Semitism.

#30 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

This thread made me hungry so I went to Taco Bell.

It was delicious.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!