HD collections - discussion and speculation

• Please log in to reply
432 replies to this topic

#1 Blank Earth

Blank Earth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

I love older games. I also love HD stuff. I should be thrilled about all these HD collections being announced for PS3, but so far I'm cynical. Whenever I read about a new one, my first thought is usually: "What am I going to do with my originals if I buy the new versions? Trade them to Amazon for $0.25 credit?"

Re-releases are nothing new, and of course no one's forcing me to re-buy. A few here and there was nothing big, but clearly we're seeing a trend develop, and the uncertainty of what's next makes me, as a collector, a little bit nervous about my games losing value.

Should I get paranoid and start selling off my trilogies while they've still got any value? Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill for example seem fairly likely candidates. Shadow Hearts and Xenosaga are probably unlikely, but who knows? I wouldn't really have guessed Ico and SOTC either.

How do other CAGs feel about HD collections? Any ideas on other candidates for the re-release treatment?

#2 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:26 AM

We need these 3 re-releases on PS3.

Jak and Daxter Series
Ratchet and Clank Series
Metal Gear Solid 3

#3 -Never4ever-

-Never4ever-

That Guy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

I'd personally be down for a Silent Hill / MGS collection. Not too sure about the others, but reprints are always welcomed.

#4 bunk22

bunk22

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

wouldnt mind seeing a gta collection, a socom collection, or hd remakes of black or hitman. i could go on for days. MAX PAYNE FTW!!!!!
cuz i cag like that!!!!!!!!

#5 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

I absolutely welcome HD ports of games, as long as they don't mess with them too much. Even if i own the game, it'd be great having them playable on one system. Why even worry about selling them? You won't make much, and I'm sure you got your money's worth from them anyway. Keep them as a nostalgic memento. That's what I'll do with Ico/Sotc

Anyway, iI want these games:

Kingdom Hearts HD (Pt 1, 2, and Re:Chained)
Final Fantasy collection (X, X-2, and XII)
GTA Collection definitely
Okami HD (w/ Move support!)

I have a good feeling that Kojima will announce a Metal Gear Solid collection at E3, possibly with some sort of 3D included.

#6 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

Ratchet & Clank series
Jak and Daxter series
Kingdom Hearts series
Metal Gear Solid series
And, tho I know it's super unlikely, I really want Dragon Quest VIII on the PS3. They could bundle it with Rogue Galaxy or something.

http://www.youtube.com/KyleFedora

Posted Image
Backloggery

I'm 34 years old, and damned it, I want my freaking half-undressed anime chick.

In for 12 to afford a dozen roses for my body pillow Kimiko.

#7 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

And, tho I know it's super unlikely, I really want Dragon Quest VIII on the PS3. They could bundle it with Rogue Galaxy or something.

Naw, Dark Cloud 1 & 2. Holy crap. HOLY CRAP.

#8 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

I'm looking forward to the PoP and Tomb Raider HD Collections though I won't pay more than $20 for either one. I still haven't gotten the Sly collection but again, I don't want to pay more than $20 for that either. But I don't mind them... I do enjoy them and wouldn't mind a Shadow Hearts HD Collection (though that's very unlikely) and Jak & Dextar Collection.

The only one I did pay full price for was GoW Collection and will be paying full price for the ICO/SotC Collection. I'd pay full price for a MGS HD Collection and that's pretty much it.

Currently playing:

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#9 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

I would like to see those two Vanillaware games, Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, with HD update. They already had great graphics, but after watching some anime on blu-ray versus anime on DVD, Im convinced it could make a big difference. I think Odin's Sphere in particular would benefit from a widescreen perspective.

It'd would also be great if they threw in Muramasa, but I imagine the above is already enough wishful thinking.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#10 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

I would like to see those two Vanillaware games, Odin's Sphere and Grim Grimoire, with HD update. They already had great graphics, but after watching some anime on blu-ray versus anime on DVD, Im convinced it could make a big difference. I think Odin's Sphere in particular would benefit from a widescreen perspective.

It'd would also be great if they threw in Muramasa, but I imagine the above is already enough wishful thinking.

I could swear I heard both games were actually getting HD re-makes to be released on PSN a while ago.
Here's hoping!

I really enjoy the HD re-makes, but mostly because of trophies.
I have a BC 60GB PS3 so I can easily play any of the PS2 games I want to revisit, but the trophies give me motivation to go through the games again and try challenges I may have skipped on the original versions. :D
Posted Image

#11 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'll probably buy everyone of them that comes out, I didn't get to experience much last gen, for example never playing Sly 2 and 3. But now I can. :)

#12 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

I could swear I heard both games were actually getting HD re-makes to be released on PSN a while ago.
Here's hoping!

It was a rumor... and nothings come of it since then (AFAIK). I doubt we'll see them but I'd definitely be up for it.

Oh, and in addition to that, there's also Beyond Good and Evil, which I'm looking forward to. Too bad it's going to be digital only... I prefer my games on hard copies, when possible.

Currently playing:

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#13 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

I didn't hear anything about GrimGrimoire. The rumor was for Odin Sphere and Murabasa: the Demon Blade from what I recall. I believe this rumor will actually happen btw.

#14 Ilikecoldbeverages

Ilikecoldbeverages

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

In some ways I think these HD collections are a really great idea. The price is right (although personally I'm not interested in ANY of them until they reach the $20 point), there's generally alot of content and I'd like to think we're mostly getting what we want here... ie no "MTX vs. ATV trilogy" or anything. I think it has some faults though, some developers can too easily give us a half-hearted double dip. I think one issue I have is that not every game is going to be worth it... some games like the Sly trilogy look great in HD but some games, like MOH Frontline, look weird and uneven. I think its something of a case-by-case basis with these games and not all of them are going to look good with an HD coat. Unless some of these devs are willing to re-render their CG clips in HD too I'd imagine games with lots of CG would have a rather jarring transition in quality like we got in the God of War collection.

To answer the main question though, I don't think you'll have to worry about your existing collection... when a game loses its value for whatever reason (like when FF7 was announced for the PSN) there is still a brief window where you can sell your stuff off without suffering a huge loss.

Personally, I would love to see HD remakes of the following:

A Kingdom Hearts trilogy - I bet these would look great in HD. If they could've add an HD-ified Birth by Sleep I'd take that over Chain of Memories though

An SMT compilation - I think all of their PS2 games would look pretty good in HD w/ 3D, the issue would be WHAT games to compile.... my dream set would be two separate releases that each include a persona, devil summoner, digital devil saga and one could also have Nocturne.

#15 pewpewpew

pewpewpew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:40 AM

I love HD collections but hate double dipping on games. If I owned all the games in a collection I'd probably sell them and wait for a good sale to minimize my losses. I would probably never trade them in though. Trade in prices tend to favor very new games so trading in previous generation games is a definite no-no.

#16 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

SOCOM and GTA please.

cavs1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifcle1-sm.gif
Now Playing

:360: FIFA 14

#17 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

I want Silent Hill series, Kingdom Hearts series, Jak/Daxter series, and Ratchet Clank series. I never got too far in any of the mentioned series, maybe played the first one, never finished it. I'm fine with HD collections of older games, gives people like me who missed out on the older titles or for those who don't own previous generation consoles anymore.

#18 Lparsons7641

Lparsons7641

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'd like to have all the Metal Gear solid stuff on a blu-ray, because (forgive me) I've never played any of them

#19 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:37 AM

Shadow Hearts Trilogy

the_it_crowd_moss.jpgdefault.png

#20 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

Give me the first three Splinter Cell games. SC-Chaos Theory craps all over just about anything else stealth-based.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#21 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:34 AM

Splinter Cell collection announced by Ubisoft for March 22nd
Posted Image

#22 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

Other games I would love HD versions of:

Okami
DMC and DMC3
Zone of the Enders 2
Metal Gear Solid (specifically Snake Eater)
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Burnout 3: Takedown
GTA (specifically San Andreas)

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#23 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Give me the first three Splinter Cell games. SC-Chaos Theory craps all over just about anything else stealth-based.

• Splinter Cell
  • Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction

:dunce:
3DS: AC New Leaf | PSV:Resistance/Black Ops/MGS 3 SE | PS4: Ghosts/Killzone | Wii U: SC: Blacklist | PS3: TWD S2 | Xbox360: GoWJ | Xbox1: DR3

...*I* am said douche (as if y'all didn't know)...

I just had sex with my mom and she gave me flowers

#24 maxim2boobles

maxim2boobles

AwesomeNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

Gta
Posted Image

#25 ubermark

ubermark

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:29 AM

Maniac Mansion
River City Ransom
Hit The Ice
Any of the games from the Rushing Beat trilogy
Chrono Trigger
Strider
Act Raiser
Out of this World/Flashback

#26 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

Collections do make me feel bad sometimes. Example, i bought the three PoP games in 2009 for the PS2, still yet to play them. Now with the collection... I want to just buy that and play them instead. I also played all 4 MGS for the first time last year, but due to having played them, I don't feel bad about buying a collection. Currently, what games I've not played but own which have been rendered obsolete:

Sly Cooper 1 (well, I played half way through it back in like... 2002, it was one of my first ps2 games)
Beyond Good & Evil (was about to start my playthrough when the HD version was announced)
Prince of Persia 1-3

Thinking about just playing BG&E PS2 and not worry about the HD version. But I'm definitely just gonna forget about my PS2 copies of PoP and buy the collection.

Posted Image
Backloggery

#27 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

Depending on whether the HD Collection of the Splinter Cell games is made from the PS2 versions or the superior Xbox/PC versions, I may need to get a PS3 again. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#28 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

• Splinter Cell
  • Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction

:dunce:

You stupid Fuck, I implied that the only ones I want are the first three. Yes, Chaos Theory is the third one. Neither Double Agent or Conviction are nearly as worthwhile.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#29 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

You stupid Fuck, I implied that the only ones I want are the first three. Yes, Chaos Theory is the third one. Neither Double Agent or Conviction are nearly as worthwhile.

:lol:

I thought for a second that I was missing whatever fucking point he was trying to make, then I realized he was just a dummy.

#30 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Depending on whether the HD Collection of the Splinter Cell games is made from the PS2 versions or the superior Xbox/PC versions, I may need to get a PS3 again. :D

Anyone who's played the PoP games via PSN could answer this.

Posted Image
Backloggery