CAGcast #232: More Than Serviceable

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Wombat dives into Dragon Age II, Cheapy finally tries a launch 3DS, and Shipwreck gets his Pokemon on. We've also got the latest industry and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

Download - 82 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 10 March 2011 - 06:40 AM.

#2 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

I platted Killzone 3 in a few days and the dlc and sent it back. free rental from amazon ;)
I got a 29act, Shipwreck is smart. I was a point off brightflight, doh!
i wish i would have got that free money!
peace cagz
great cagcast, and congrats on the promotion Wombat!
I'm a cheapass resturant guy too. my grrls, baby and i went to outback steakhouse the other night and we got 2 full rack of ribs and appetizers for $12.50, down from $50 lol. we gave the girl a $20 for the meal, woot. great food.
I'm friends with the manager and she gave me a steak but i was foolish, left it in the fridge and woke up and the kids ate it, argh! lol

Edited by Velo214, 10 March 2011 - 08:36 AM.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#3 Master Troll

Master Troll

Whaat is this place?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

Congrats on your promotion Wombat and these damn podcasts always catch me before I sleep.

I dont know guys
idiots are a diamond dozen nowadays :)

Posted Image

#4 Digital Bees

Digital Bees

Streets Ahead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

Do you guys ever sick of PS3 fanboys constantly having problems and bitching about the CAGcast?

Also...I agree with you 100%, Wombat. Community is possibly the best comedy on TV right now.

Edited by YoatOverNothing, 10 March 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#5 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

there is no way your wife is interested in Oblivion. F0r fuk sake. I've played it and its nothing but loading screens and shitty dialogue. She's humoring you. Go wash some dishes or take out some trash for this woman. jesus.

#6 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

for the show feedback section you can just say "x number of ps3 fanboys" complained and move on
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#7 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

I took both the ACT and SAT.

#8 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

I agree with a lot of what you said about Dragon Age II Wombat, but I'll be interested to hear if you feel any disappointment as far as the environments go. Overall I do think it's a big step up for the console version of Origins and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I just find Kirkwall to be not quite interesting enough to set so much of the game in. Also, the dungeons are surprisingly redundant. Seems like you end up running through dozens of dark, drab caves. Would love a little more variety there.

And Cheapy, definitely try Torchlight. I played it on the PC, but it's the best loot game I've played since Diablo II. Absolutely loved it. And I've heard good things about the 360 version.

#9 HungryButcher

HungryButcher

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

Do you guys ever sick of PS3 fanboys constantly having problems and bitching about the CAGcast?

I love the PS3 talk back and forth between the hosts and the surly PS3 users. I find it very humorous. The guys on the show like the PS3. They’ve said this many times. They just point out the problems with the system and the way Sony handles everything. I agree with everything they say. But I love my PS3, except for when I have to download something.

Listening to the show now.

I loved the part where Wombat interrupts Boatcrash's 30 minute Pokemon review with his Bill Cobsy impression. Gotta love Wombat!

Edited by HungryButcher, 10 March 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#10 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

great show guys keep it up
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Wombat, thanks for the shout out! I am very jacked for SKYRIM! Also, the Bill Cosby impersonation about the "pokeman" was HILARIOUS!!! "OOO . . You take the Puuuddinnnnng! and you dip it in tha WOW . . . Jello Pudding POPS!! . . OooOoo!!"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Edited by Kung Fu ZEPHYR, 10 March 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#12 H4Y4TO

H4Y4TO

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Great Show as all ways! Keep up the good work... I need you guys to do more shows for me to listen to on my upcoming deployment... Just for like a year if you don't mind lol

Thanks,
h4y4to
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

I love the PS3 talk back and forth between the hosts and the surly PS3 users. I find it very humorous. The guys on the show like the PS3. They’ve said this many times. They just point out the problems with the system and the way Sony handles everything.

Actually, what they do is point out personal problems they have with the PS3, assume everyone else experiences the same problems, and ignore or downplay the similar issues that exist on the 360.

Then, they apparently only read the feedback that comes from frothing-at-the-mouth Sony fanboys who would rather die than play a 360, and ignore all the reasonable feedback that comes from people who enjoy both systems and who point out the inconsistencies and errors in some of their complaints. I guess that's funnier for the show, but it was disappointing that the genuinely interesting responses to their How to fix Sony podcast written by people like FriskyTanuki were just ignored.

Edited by Curufinwe, 10 March 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#14 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cheapy, you may be the dumbest on the SAT, but you're the richest. ;)

Wombat, congrats on the promotion, sir.

Shippy, UNBELIEVABLE! lol
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#15 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cheapy,
Upgrading your HDD in the PS3 in insanely easy. There are tons of walk-throughs on youtube. Just do a full back up to an external HDD and after you have the new hard drive installed, do a full restore. You will not losing anything if you are using the back up file on the same exact PS3. Your PS3 will look exactly like it did before except you will have more HDD space. You will not have to re-download anything.

If you decide to get a new PS3, it will be a little different. Because it's not the same system, you'll need to re-download your PSN content (and lose any game-shared stuff). Also, you won't get copy protected saves. However, with the new cloud saving feature you could upload these and pull them down to copy them over to the new system.

If I was in your shoes, I'd sell my phatty and pick up a slim. Those old models are ticking time bombs just counting down to a YLOD. You can still use the full back up/restore feature but will have to re-download some PSN stuff and re-apply your personal settings.

#16 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

I haven't done it myself, but everyone says that you need to be careful about stripping the screws when you replace the HD on the PS3. You want to use the smallest screwdriver that will work, and some say a flathead screwdriver works better even though the screws are Phillips.

#17 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Quick correction about the Cloud saves for PS+. If you cancel or do not renew PS+, Sony will hold your uploaded saves in the cloud for 6 months before deleting them if you do not renew in that period.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#18 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I haven't done it myself, but everyone says that you need to be careful about stripping the screws when you replace the HD on the PS3. You want to use the smallest screwdriver that will work, and some say a flathead screwdriver works better even though the screws are Phillips.

I did it without any problems. If your're really worried about stripping the screws then go out and buy a jewelers screwdriver kit. They're about $5 on Amazon.

The only annoying part was having to use FAT32 to backup the old drive. That's not a format used so much anymore which meant reformatting the external drive.

#19 StriderNo9

StriderNo9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Why was Cheapy so shocked and then bitter when Wombat had the higher score on the SAT? When has Cheapy shown that he is smart in any capacity? I'm not trying to diss Cheapy, I think the site Cheap Ass Gamers is a great idea for a site, but it's something anyone could have thought of, other than that, Wombat is the one that shows off his intellect in business and the industry more often. Cheapy talks well but most of anything he says is based off experience. Just strange that he assumed he was the smarter one. I thought that was an easy one.

#20 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

I did it without any problems. If your're really worried about stripping the screws then go out and buy a jewelers screwdriver kit. They're about $5 on Amazon.

The only annoying part was having to use FAT32 to backup the old drive. That's not a format used so much anymore which meant reformatting the external drive.

Even with the proper screwdrivers, stripping the screws is still a potential issue. I stripped one of the screws and I was being extremely careful. I know several others that also stripped at least one of the screws. I had to deform the tray to remove the old drive and then bend it back into shape to hold the new drive and slide back into the PS3. The whole process is very easy IF you don't run into stripped screws.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#21 Aeolus

Aeolus

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Cheapy, you don't need to take the SATs in order to attend a university. Like Ship, I didn't take the SATs either. I went to Community College and transfered to the four year. And to dispel any ideas that I might be a dummy, at said four-year, I double majored in History and Medieval Studies, minored in Latin, and graduated.

#22 fahq1977

fahq1977

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Wombat, I appreciated the Cosby impression. That is all.

#23 BannedEpisode

BannedEpisode

Envious Eyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Took the ACT. Never had to worry about the SAT.
Posted Image

#24 testudo

testudo

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

Wombat, I appreciated the Cosby impression.

Yeah, I'm with fahq1977... More Cosby... I think Cosby should do the News each week.

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#25 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

There's been at least 3 Oblivion games this gen - Oblivion:Elder Scrolls, Oblivion:Fallout, and Oblivion: Vegas.

And that's not counting the numerous xpacs.

#26 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

"No, your not getting anything. In fact I'm gonna steal your boots." Love it!

#27 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

There's been at least 3 Oblivion games this gen - Oblivion:Elder Scrolls, Oblivion:Fallout, and Oblivion: Vegas.

And that's not counting the numerous xpacs.

I think you're confusing Oblivion with Bethesda. Oblivion is the name of Elder Scrolls IV just like Morrowind is the name of Elder Scrolls III. Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas are both titles produced by Bethesda Softworks (who also produces the Elder Scrolls series).

#28 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Even with the proper screwdrivers, stripping the screws is still a potential issue. I stripped one of the screws and I was being extremely careful. I know several others that also stripped at least one of the screws. I had to deform the tray to remove the old drive and then bend it back into shape to hold the new drive and slide back into the PS3. The whole process is very easy IF you don't run into stripped screws.

Yep, stripped screws is a well known problem when removing the HDD. I was extremely careful and still managed to strip one.

Sony recently updated their support page to include information on replacements. I'm sure there's a vending machine in Japan that sells them. :-P

#29 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Yup, I stripped ALL 4 screws for the cage holding the HDD. I was trying to be careful but it's really tight and just twisting strips it easily. I had no issue with the blue screw that everyone was talking about in various forums. If you strip any, just use needle-nose pliers to take them off. They're easy to take off and on after the initial procedure.

Btw, thanks for mentioning the KZ3 audio issue. Everyone must know!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#30 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Actually, what they do is point out personal problems they have with the PS3, assume everyone else experiences the same problems, and ignore or downplay the similar issues that exist on the 360.

Pretty much this.

Though I think everyone at this point has come to expect the ball-washing these guys do for Microsoft.

And 'if' Sony needed fixing, which it doesn't, I surely wouldn't come to these guys for advice.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?