(DEAD) [Impulse] DAO Ultimate = $22.47

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Xealot42

Xealot42

Psi-Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

Impulse has Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition for $24.97 and the coupon code survey2010 still works which drops the price another 10% to $22.47.

A good price on a great game if you missed out on the previous Steam or EA Store deals.

Impulse also has some other games on sale but nothing else really jumped out at me from the list.

Edited by Xealot42, 31 March 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#2 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

I want it but I don't want to install Impulse. GRR

#3 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Fantastic deal on an amazing game.

#4 Xealot42

Xealot42

Psi-Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

I want it but I don't want to install Impulse. GRR

What don't you like about Impulse? You only need to open the client to download or update the game. You can launch the game without opening Impulse just like any other retail game otherwise.

I suppose you could install Impulse to download the game and then uninstall it. Or you could register your keys with EA Download Manager if you prefer. I own Origins + Awakening on Impulse and I also registered the keys with EADM.

#5 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

What don't you like about Impulse? You only need to open the client to download or update the game. You can launch the game without opening Impulse just like any other retail game otherwise.

I suppose you could install Impulse to download the game and then uninstall it. Or you could register your keys with EA Download manager. I own Origins + Awakening on Impulse and I also registered the keys with EADM.

I didn't realize that I didn't need it running to launch the game. I used to have it installed for Demigod only and it was constantly nagging me about updates and crap.

I have a couple of different machines that I use for gaming and if I re-install windows or get a new one I can easily just install Steam and have it suck down all my games that I own (and the save game in a lot of cases). Can one license from Impulse be used on multiple machines (non-simultaneously) like with Steam?

Also I feel like I will lose track that I own the game because it will probably be a while until something comes along on Impulse at a price I like and I will end up uninstalling it and forgetting about it... whereas with Steam I have so many games I won't forget about it.. sounds dumb I know :)

Basically it makes my life simpler to not have 47 different digital gaming store clients installed on all of my computers.

All that said, I really like that Stardock management seems to have real concern for their customers even though perhaps I think they fall a little short meeting their wants and needs.

#6 Xealot42

Xealot42

Psi-Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

I didn't realize that I didn't need it running to launch the game. I used to have it installed for Demigod only and it was constantly nagging me about updates and crap.

I have a couple of different machines that I use for gaming and if I re-install windows or get a new one I can easily just install Steam and have it suck down all my games that I own (and the save game in a lot of cases). Can one license from Impulse be used on multiple machines (non-simultaneously) like with Steam?

Also I feel like I will lose track that I own the game because it will probably be a while until something comes along on Impulse at a price I like and I will end up uninstalling it and forgetting about it... whereas with Steam I have so many games I won't forget about it.. sounds dumb I know :)

Basically it makes my life simpler to not have 47 different digital gaming store clients installed on all of my computers.

All that said, I really like that Stardock management seems to have real concern for their customers even though perhaps I think they fall a little short meeting their wants and needs.

I can definitely understand wanting to limit the number of places you download games digitally. I have games spread across Steam, Impulse, D2D, GOG, and GFWL.

As far as I know Impulse doesn't place any limits on the number of times you can download or install a game on multiple PCs as long as you are logged into your Impulse account. I just did a small experiment with the smallest game I own on Impulse (Jets 'n' Guns Gold) and I was able to open Impulse on both my desktop and laptop simultaneously and launch the game on both. So it seems to be less picky than Steam in that regard. Although to my knowledge Impulse doesn't have any cloud saving functionality so I'm not sure how much you will want to do that.

And the current version of Impulse doesn't seem to nag about updates too badly. It will usually say "update available" beside a game when a patch is available and you can choose to update or stay at your current version. You can also tell it to ignore the update if you don't want to be bothered with it anymore.

#7 Fei Longer

Fei Longer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

I bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition on Impulse a few months ago when it was on sale. I ran into some strange issues when trying to install it after the download. I deleted it and retried a few times with the same result. Apparently it was a common problem on the forums. It was frustrating since it was a large download and nothing that I tweaked was able to fix it.

I finally found one suggestion which said to use the EA Download Manager instead. After using that, the download and install worked flawlessly. I don't know if the issue has been patched since then, but just wanted to mention this alternative in case someone runs into these same issues.

#8 FeathersMcGraw

FeathersMcGraw

Waterfowl Mastermind

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

I have DA:O (via Impulse) already. Does anyone know whether I can install this over my current copy and recycle my save games or install it in a new location and copy my saved games over? I wouldn't mind trying out the DLC.

#9 mbstuff

mbstuff

bringback icecream cereal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

I've been looking for a deal on this for a week or so. I was about to post the Impulse sale and am glad a previous post exists with a coupon. Thanks OP.

FeathersMcGraw, I have read some forums on this, and the general consensus seems to be to uninstall a disc copy of Origins/Awakening because it may conflict with a downloaded Ultimate Edition. The Ultimate Edition can be installed over a downloaded version of Origins/Awakenings whether it's from Steam or EA download manager. I assume your save files remain either way (or at worst I guess you might have to copy them over). I uninstalled Origins (collector's disc version) and Awakening (EA download) many months ago, and the save files were still there when I reinstalled a few days ago.

I'm still not very clear on whether my disc collector's edition items carry over for the Ultimate Edition. I hope so since it should link to the same Bioware account.
[URL="http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=844120"][/URL]

#10 liberaltugboat

liberaltugboat

Don't Tug on Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Ok, I am really torn...
I really want to play Dragon Age, and this is a great price, but I am quite loyal to steam, and always hesitate buying from other download services. Should I just give in and bite on this deal? Or should I hold out for the next Steam sale?
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/LiberalTugboat

Liberating the world... one Tug at a time.

#11 JAlbertL

JAlbertL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

I'll wait for a steam sale.

#12 Island Dog

Island Dog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

As far as I know Impulse doesn't place any limits on the number of times you can download or install a game on multiple PCs as long as you are logged into your Impulse account. I just did a small experiment with the smallest game I own on Impulse (Jets 'n' Guns Gold) and I was able to open Impulse on both my desktop and laptop simultaneously and launch the game on both. So it seems to be less picky than Steam in that regard. Although to my knowledge Impulse doesn't have any cloud saving functionality so I'm not sure how much you will want to do that.

The only restrictions on downloads or "activations" would be up to the individual games themselves.

I really want to play Dragon Age, and this is a great price, but I am quite loyal to steam, and always hesitate buying from other download services. Should I just give in and bite on this deal? Or should I hold out for the next Steam sale?

Is it really that big of deal to download from another service? You're saving money, right?

#13 JAlbertL

JAlbertL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:40 PM

I caved and bought it.

#14 liberaltugboat

liberaltugboat

Don't Tug on Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Is it really that big of deal to download from another service? You're saving money, right?

I bit... less then $23 is really too good to pass up...
I know what i will be doing this weekend
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/LiberalTugboat

Liberating the world... one Tug at a time.

#15 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

I prefer Steam as well, but Dragon Age uses literally zero of Steam's features, so at least you're not missing out on anything in that regard.

Enjoy the next hundred hours or so. :D

#16 teknomedic

teknomedic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

although I don't want DAO... I have been waiting for a sale on GalCiv 1 & 2... used coupon to purchase them. Thanks OP. :)

(I know it didn't save me tons, but I wanted to support the dev for a GalCiv3 ;) )

Edited by teknomedic, 26 March 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#17 JokerWild

JokerWild

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:19 AM

Pfff I have games from Steam, D2D, Impulse, Gamersgate, Greenman gaming etc etc. I go where the deals are (hopefully more competition means better pricing), the only reason you should wait if your thinking about buying this is if you want to wait for it to be $20 again, or below, but who knows when that will be. I'm debating about picking it up myself, but I was kind hoping to get for 10-15 so I'm torn.

#18 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

DAO was great - it's worth it for that alone.
Of course, getting Awakening and ALL DLC even sweetens this deal.
Yes, this Impulse deal is one hell of a deal.

I'm basically missing all the DLC, so I'm gonna wait - since I already own DAO + Awakening.

#19 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

new reason not to want to install impulse..

http://www.joystiq.c...eriously-it-bo/

#20 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:29 AM

new reason not to want to install impulse..

http://www.joystiq.c...eriously-it-bo/

I'm still sick to my stomach and throwing-up in my own mouth (all metaphorically) over this news of sadness and badness....