Photo
- - - - -

Is your state suppose to mail you a death certificate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

Does anyone know if a state is supposed to mail you a death certificate or are you suppose to get one from them? (NY State in particular)

#2 seen

seen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:30 AM

If your dead how would you know?

#3 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:54 AM

Oh you jokers. Actually my father passed away recently and I need to sort some things out.

#4 seen

seen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

My condolences, hope its not too hectic of a process with his passing. Hopefully this link might be of some help.

http://www.health.st...cords/death.htm

#5 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:03 AM

sorry about your father.

#6 Romis

Romis

Honor Among CAGS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:09 AM

My condolences to you hostile,
Typically if the person was in a hospital they fill out the forms, have the appropriate person sign it etc. Then give the family a copy and send in to state & county court house for recording

If.the person wasn't in the hospital then likely a family dr. Or county coroner would have handled the proper form and sent them in to the county court house.

#7 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:15 AM

My condolences, hope its not too hectic of a process with his passing. Hopefully this link might be of some help.

http://www.health.st...cords/death.htm

I actually came upon that before I tried to ask elsewhere. I wasn't sure if it meant a copy in the case of an extra or if it meant I had to get the original from them.

My condolences to you hostile,
Typically if the person was in a hospital they fill out the forms, have the appropriate person sign it etc. Then give the family a copy and send in to state & county court house for recording

If.the person wasn't in the hospital then likely a family dr. Or county coroner would have handled the proper form and sent them in to the county court house.

Thanks Romis. My dad's passing was pretty sudden in some respects so I'll try giving the second part a try.

Thanks for the condolences guys.

#8 Draknight

Draknight

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:13 PM

My father just past away in the last month also so you have my deepest condolences.

Now to answer your question. Based on my experience I also live in NYC, If he was taking to a county morgue you have to wait for the a couple of weeks for them to release the body and issue a death certificate from the board of health. If your love one was taken by a funeral home right away and there are no extenuating circumstances they can usually expedite the process from a couple of days to a weeks time. With the help of the funeral home I was able to get multiple certified original copies of the death certificate with 6 days. Hope this helps. Also if you want pm if you have other questions.