Photo
- - - - -

Movie Studios piss off Theater Owners with $30 OD, Owners fight back!

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:26 AM

http://consumerist.c...n-theaters.html

http://consumerist.c...ie-studios.html

I am sure there are plenty of Up's and Downs on this argument...however I think $30 is way too much for a rental...

It is sure pissing off Theater owners though... in the form of less previews and other things in order to fight back.

#2 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

$30 is a very competitive price unless you go to the movie by yourself during the day and refuse to buy any drinks or snacks.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Because of the shitty theatres around my house I would not mind paying the $30 at all.

#4 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:55 AM

$30 is a very competitive price unless you go to the movie by yourself during the day and refuse to buy any drinks or snacks.

Not when you can rent it 3 months later for 30x less.

And who the hell buys food and drinks at a movie theater? You're basically sticking your ass up in the air and begging to be raped.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#5 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

6 people can go see a movie for that. ($5 Sunday Matinee :D)
Posted Image

#6 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

That's not the issue. If you want to play that card, you can wait an additional month and pick it up on Redbox or a few more months and stream it on Netflix.

Eventually, I'm sure they'd like to get it onto on demand the same day as the theater, so here's the big question:

If you want to see a movie on opening night (a huge release, something like the Avengers movie in 2012) with multiple friends, would you rather meet at a house and pitch in or each pay $9 at the theater?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather invite a few friends over and have them pitch in.. maybe order some pizza, beer, whatever.

It seems like a lot of money, but once you factor everything in, it's not too terrible. I'd have a hard time paying $30 for it if I was the only one watching it, though.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

Even with a ticket and drink/popcorn I'd pay less than $20 around here. Only advantage would be not having the dumbasses who seem to come to movies solely to ruin it for everyone else.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#8 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

I completely agree with Scorch, as long as it's movies that are still new and in theaters then it's a great deal. Especially if you have a large family.

#9 Indecisive Rattle

Indecisive Rattle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

$30 is pretty cheap if you're watching with a group, but I kind of like going to the theater with friends. It's an excuse to get out of the house, and nobody I know has much of a home entertainment setup...

#10 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

And who the hell buys food and drinks at a movie theater? You're basically sticking your ass up in the air and begging to be raped.

You don't buy food and drink at a theater because it's a rip roaring deal you do it for the experience. Every mother fucker knows it's a rip off and they accept that walking in. God damn.

From what Scorch was saying this gets better and better. If I go out opening day to a movie its with 8+ friends and seats together are a bitch plus all the loud people. So to pop the movie on someone's big screen and sit on the sofa with a pizza is pretty sweet to think about.

#11 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

I wouldn't be against this if a group of people wanted to get together for it and we all chip in $5-10 for movie and food/drinks. I know a group of friends went to see Battle:LA in Feb (I passed). So I can see potential there as a PPV type event.

I personally see going to the theater as a social event. Sure I hate people and over paying for gallon sized pop/popcorn, but it's a date or a night out or a way to see an action flick on a humongous screen with professional sound setups. I don't think that for people my age and up (I'm in my 20s), this perspective won't be changing any time soon either.

I can see theater owners losing BIG TIME though because this will put high quality rips of new releases into the p2p pool that usually don't surface until near the retail BD/DVD release date.
Posted Image

#12 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:51 AM

Plus you know your friends are going to be jerks and show up and not pay for anything, eat your pizza, sit on your couch with their muddy shoes, punch you in the face with their Unity ring, and basically be a jerk until you kick their ass into a table.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#13 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:53 AM

wow thats a pretty dick move bad for theatres but very good for consumers because now you can get together with a group of friends and rent new flicks on demand which depending on how many people chip in will save you alot of money in the long run.

hell in theory couldnt a person with enough space just run movies from their homes and charge like a buck or 2 a pop to see new flicks?

#14 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

With others and with a great home entertainment setup? Sure.

Otherwise, bleck.

#15 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by almost promoting pirating. Like QiG said, the movies will be on torrent sites in DVD quality the second they hit on demand. Not many people are going to want to pay $30 for a rental when they can download the same exact thing for free.

#16 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

Plus you know your friends are going to be jerks and show up and not pay for anything, eat your pizza, sit on your couch with their muddy shoes, punch you in the face with their Unity ring, and basically be a jerk until you kick their ass into a table.

Never a dull moment at Strell's house!

#17 Antic

Antic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

I'd maybe consider it. It would really only happen under the circumstance that a bunch of friends come over though.

#18 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:09 AM

I can see how this might be a plus for some but only if the price is right..

Pros:
-Save on gas
-Eat anything you want (Chinese food!) during the movie.
-Watch it in the privacy of your on home without an ahole checking his facebook status/text messages every few minutes.
-Pause the movie/rewind any time!

Cons:
-That 30$ tag
-Will hurt everyone working at a theater...so people will lose their jobs.
-Eventually kill the movie theater business.
-No more IMAX :-|

#19 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

Recently I've been mostly going to the movies in NYC. So for me, this is just about the same price as 2 movie tickets + transit, and might be worth it.

#20 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Did anybody read the deal breaker on this one?

Variety reports that the studios won't release a title to Home Premiere if it's still doing well in theaters. That means that the majority of what ends up on the service will be things you probably never wanted to see in the first place, or that you could have waited weeks, months, or years to see for a lot less than $30.

So you're not getting Toy Story 3 in the opening weeks, but probably Mars Needs Moms.

If this is the way it is going to be implemented, I don't imagine this truly hurting anybody on either side. This is basically going to be the studios doing financial damage control for movies that crash and burn from the get-go.
Posted Image

#21 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

I doubt both of these. On Demand movies would be nice, for certain movies, if you can get a group of friends to pitch in. But it's not going to replace the big screen experience. I have an HDTV and 7.1 surround sound, but when Braveheart 2 comes out, you can be sure I'll see it in theaters.

Posted Image

#22 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

Eventually, I'm sure they'd like to get it onto on demand the same day as the theater, so here's the big question:

If you want to see a movie on opening night (a huge release, something like the Avengers movie in 2012) with multiple friends, would you rather meet at a house and pitch in or each pay $9 at the theater?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather invite a few friends over and have them pitch in.. maybe order some pizza, beer, whatever.

I don't have that many friends around here where I could do that, but I guess that makes more sense.

But from what I can tell, they aren't doing that. They are waiting for them to be in theaters at least a month. Not opening night. The movies mentioned in the article are like 2 months old. Just wait another month and they'll be a dollar at Redbox.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#23 super_dawn

super_dawn

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

Did anybody read the deal breaker on this one?

So you're not getting Toy Story 3 in the opening weeks, but probably Mars Needs Moms.

If this is the way it is going to be implemented, I don't imagine this truly hurting anybody on either side. This is basically going to be the studios doing financial damage control for movies that crash and burn from the get-go.

It still hurts. Crappy movies still make a good chunk of money opening weekend because people don't know that they're crappy yet.

Cons:
-Will hurt everyone working at a theater...so people will lose their jobs.

I doubt both of these. On Demand movies would be nice, for certain movies, if you can get a group of friends to pitch in. But it's not going to replace the big screen experience. I have an HDTV and 7.1 surround sound, but when Braveheart 2 comes out, you can be sure I'll see it in theaters.

Yes, it will hurt the movie theater business. I'm the operations manager for a 20 plex movie theater. Our sales/attendance have been at an all time low for the past 4 years, if not longer. There are A LOT of factors, but one of them is the movie studios constantly screwing us over.

I'm thankful that I work for a company that is constantly trying to offer a more premiere experience that you would not normally get from a viewing at home (ie Dbox seating), but I think this $30 for new movies is a bad idea. Just another reason for people to not go to the theater. I mean concession food is only high priced because the studios take a majority (92%) of the ticket sales, thus, that is the only profit that a theater gets in order to keep operations up. It's a tough business.

Guybrush: At least I've learnt something from all of this.
Elaine: What's that?
Guybrush: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a game.

:3ds: my 3DS friend code is: 1934-0672-7017 ---Animal Crossing: Msg me if you add! thx!

Animal Crossing Villager Outfits Follow me:  superdawn3.tumblr.com

ChocDeathMousse.jpg

#24 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

It still hurts. Crappy movies still make a good chunk of money opening weekend because people don't know that they're crappy yet.

Yes, it will hurt the movie theater business. I'm the operations manager for a 20 plex movie theater. Our sales/attendance have been at an all time low for the past 4 years, if not longer. There are A LOT of factors, but one of them is the movie studios constantly screwing us over.

I'm thankful that I work for a company that is constantly trying to offer a more premiere experience that you would not normally get from a viewing at home (ie Dbox seating), but I think this $30 for new movies is a bad idea. Just another reason for people to not go to the theater. I mean concession food is only high priced because the studios take a majority (92%) of the ticket sales, thus, that is the only profit that a theater gets in order to keep operations up. It's a tough business.

92%!??!! holy shit...that leave only 8 percent to pay your staff and keep the lights/ac going?!?!?

How the hell do movie theaters stay in business?!?!?

#25 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:31 AM

I can't believe no one has done something about this post...

So do you read any part of a post before commenting? The post you quoted specifically pointed out that they are thinking about doing this for movies that have are not performing well and are still in theaters. So it's not happening for new releases. It's like the studio's chance to make a last buck before the films drop to the dollar theater or to home release.

#26 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

92%!??!! holy shit...that leave only 8 percent to pay your staff and keep the lights/ac going?!?!?

How the hell do movie theaters stay in business?!?!?

You didn't know this? This is why popcorn and soda are so overpriced at the movies.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#27 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

I don't have that many friends around here where I could do that, but I guess that makes more sense.

But from what I can tell, they aren't doing that. They are waiting for them to be in theaters at least a month. Not opening night. The movies mentioned in the article are like 2 months old. Just wait another month and they'll be a dollar at Redbox.

Redbox has signed a deal where some of the movies won't be there for at least 28 days until after the dvd comes out. The movie companies will find a way to milk the consumer in every way possible.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#28 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

Well I often go during the day by myself.

But even if it's just me and my girlfriend at night, it's like $22 for both of us and we never get drinks or food there.

Besides, it's a false equivalency. I go to the theater to see a movie on the huge screen and the kick ass and super loud sound system (that I could never have being a condo dweller). I don't go just because I want to see a movie now rather than waiting a few months, though that is an added bonus.

But if I'm going to watch at home on my 50" tv and crappy 5.1 set up with the volume low enough to not bother the neighbors, I'll wait and rent it from Netflix vs. blowing $30 to rent it on demand while it's in theater's still.

#29 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:44 AM

I'd pay $30 a ticket if they would keep the morons out of my local theater.

Seems to me that if I had a nice enough home set up, that would accomplish the same thing.

#30 skinkrawl

skinkrawl

DoyoulikePhilCollins

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

I think the theater's themselves did a damn good job of that. They ran off most of the cinephiles by not adapting to the cell phone age, and lately more and more average moviegoers that I know have shunned the theater. I'd be glad if most of them went under and it returned to smaller theaters who actually monitor their theaters and show good films.