Photo
- - - - -

The Hobbit Movie Thread

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Figured we needed a thread on this, all search turned up was a coupled old threads back when it looked like it wasn't getting made.

For those that haven't been following, it's being made and directed by Peter Jackson. It's being split into two parts with the first coming out in December 2012.

Peter Jackson is doing web log videos about making the movie like he did for King Kong. The first one was posted the other day and runs about 10 minutes. "Liking" Peter Jackson's page on Facebook, if you're on there, is the best way to keep up with them as that's where he's posting the videos.

https://www.facebook...481557

Here's the IMDB page for the movie with full cast info etc.: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

#2 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

How can Frodo even be in this? I really hope they get Tennant and Nimoy though.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#3 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

How can Frodo even be in this?

The thought on that the movies will simply start and end with Bilbo telling the story to Frodo.

#4 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

I love that they aren't recasting any of the roles. The LotR and Hobbit movies will hopefully be a seamless epic when viewed together.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#5 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

Yep, I'm pleased with that as well.

And from reports Jackson is fleshing out a lot of things that weren't touched on much in the book which will help it fit better with the LOTR trilogy as well. i.e. Gandalf and the White Council expelling the Necromancer (Sauron) from Mirkwood is going apparently going to be covered, when that all happened off page in the book.

From other forums the diehard fans of the books are worried that too much will be changed, but I don't care. Those people bitch about the LOTR movies as well, and I think they were fantastic. I'm a fan of the books, but I don't expect movie adaptations to be exact replicas.

#6 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

They oughta do a Trek-style reboot, sexify this mofo. Why the hobbits gotta be so short, why the feet so hairy? And I'm thinking Bilbo needs a love interest on his journey, maybe a gal he runs into along the way. First they don't get along, but there's a chemistry there. Then the sparks fly. Run with it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

They could rename it "10 Things I Hate About Hobbits" or "Sleepless In The Shire" or "That Hobbit's Just Not That Into You". The possibilities are endless. I wonder what Hugh Grant and Meg Ryan are up to right now?

#8 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Bingo.

Casting brainstorm! You know who'd make a good Gandalf? Anne Hathaway.

Age her a few years with a little makeup. Then you solve the romance problem right there, we don't have to do re-writes to bring the love interest in. It's already Gandalf!

At first Bilbo's too simple for Gandalf, Gandalf too overbearing for Bilbo. But then they do some magic or some shit, you know zapping ghosts or werewolves or whatever. So we see they're teaming up reluctantly, but they make a good team, there's something there. Then later they make camp, Gandalf's washing her hair in a stream and we see Bilbo catch a glance. You know where I'm going with this.

WHERE'S MY HALF CAF SOY MOCHACCINO?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

From other forums the diehard fans of the books are worried that too much will be changed, but I don't care. Those people bitch about the LOTR movies as well, and I think they were fantastic. I'm a fan of the books, but I don't expect movie adaptations to be exact replicas.

The Hobbit doesn't need to be "changed" but they need to add in a bunch of stuff that Tolkien fleshed out before writing Lord of the Rings that isn't in any of the books.

The Hobbit is pretty simple and short, expanding it somewhat is the right choice.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#10 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

Now, now. When I say I don't care about movies being exact replicas, I don't mean they can change fucking genres! :D Adaptations should be faithful to the main plot and spirit of a book.

I just get annoyed by the LOTR diehards on other forums bitching over tiny little changes and omissions from the books and expecting near 100% adaptations.

Especially for the Hobbit. The book is so different in tone than LOTR having been written as a kid's book, that frankly I wouldn't have much interest in the movie if they were making 100% faithful adaptation as it wouldn't fit together into one epic movie series. So I'm glad Jackson is apparently filming it more in the style and tone of LOTR, fleshing out things like the expelling of Sauron from Mirkwood etc. to make it more of a true/consistent prequel to the LOTR movies.

#11 Lice

Lice

Hero Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

I just get annoyed by the LOTR diehards on other forums bitching over tiny little changes and omissions from the books and expecting near 100% adaptations.

Then if it is a 100% adaptation they complain that its too close and boring.

Lose/Lose

#12 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Then if it is a 100% adaptation they complain that its too close and boring.

Lose/Lose

Exactly. Which is why directors/producers should do like Jackson and just make a movie adaptation that's faithful to the main plot and spirit of the source material, but tweak it as they see fit to make what they think is the best possible screen adaptation they can do.

Thankfully he doesn't listen to the fanboys, nor do many directors. It's a waste of time as you can never please fanboys anyway. Focus on pleasing the greatest number of the moving watching public as possible, while still making a quality film and being faithful to the core elements of the source material.

#13 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Adaptations should be faithful to the main plot and spirit of a book.

I agree - what would be the point? We already have the book! If you don't make ANY changes the movie will always suck because what's in your imagination from reading will be way more appealing.

#14 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hell yes, Alan Lee and John Howe are back! Didn't really expect them not to be, but good news all the same.

EDIT: I wonder how they'll shoot the scene in Bag End with the dwarves and Gandalf. They can't do the split table trick like they did when it was just Bilbo, since there's a full table of them. This will be interesting to see how it turns out.

EDIT 2: Hehe, just saw Frodo's half size double from the LOTR films, I wonder who he'll be playing.

Edited by ROB64, 15 April 2011 - 05:52 PM.

Posted Image

#15 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

Especially for the Hobbit. The book is so different in tone than LOTR having been written as a kid's book, that frankly I wouldn't have much interest in the movie if they were making 100% faithful adaptation as it wouldn't fit together into one epic movie series. So I'm glad Jackson is apparently filming it more in the style and tone of LOTR, fleshing out things like the expelling of Sauron from Mirkwood etc. to make it more of a true/consistent prequel to the LOTR movies.

seriously. the hobbit is a very simple point a to point b book. i really dont mind if peter jackson adds a little flair to it.

Posted Image

#16 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

I remember watching the old animated version of The Hobbit a long time ago on Disney, wasn't until years later that I knew what it was all about.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#17 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

EDIT: I wonder how they'll shoot the scene in Bag End with the dwarves and Gandalf. They can't do the split table trick like they did when it was just Bilbo, since there's a full table of them. This will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Watch the production diary I linked in the first post, it shows them at the table etc.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection