CAGcast #237: P(oops) 2: The Poopening

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat are enjoyed, pooping in one's pants is not. Submit questions or topics for next week's show via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 76 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 22 April 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#2 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

Mwahaaaa, the poop!!!

#3 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

nice, i can stop listening to bombcast

#4 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

Please Cheapy, don't shame the industry icon - it's pronounced "Mar-e-oh", not "Mail-re-oh".

(()) wOOpwOOp That's the sound of a trade: >>[acronym="Check My List ↓"]CML[/acronym]<< (())

PS3 & 360 games @ Have: DmC, Split/Second (both new), Halo 4 (mint)
10% CAG discount Vs. ebay listings!

#5 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:12 AM

Cheapy, it sounds like the show got really quiet around the 1 hour, 5-6 minute mark of the show on the iTunes version of the show.

As far as WiiHD goes, if it was only as powerful as the 360/PS3, why would it need to be as big as the original Xbox? As far as it being a 2-3 year stop gap (some are saying it'll be this fall) it really depends on how much more powerful it is CPU wise, GPU wise and RAM wise than the current HD systems. If it can do 1080p natively, that's quite a bit more powerful, but we don't know how much more powerful that really is. The big issue will be the amount of RAM it has. If it has 512mb-1gb, Sony and Microsoft may not be so eager to push for next gen.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#6 dante_calypso

dante_calypso

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Great show.. 4 minutes in and wombat brings up pooping in alley ways!
Posted Image

#7 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

guys do you know what would be nice if you did that clip show
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Clarke

Clarke

The Pretender

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have all 3 of the CAG members on my Steam list. None of them seem to have Portal 2 for Mac or PS3. :cry:

Posted Image

#9 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have all 3 of the CAG members on my Steam list. None of them seem to have Portal 2 for Mac or PS3. :cry:

Valve sent me the 360 version. I play whichever version the companies send. I was kind of surprised that Valve didn't send the PS3 version since that's the version with all the Steam stuff.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#10 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:00 PM

My friend works in the Google offices that wombat visited and i must say my visit was incredibly depressing. Why? it is such an amazing work environment that going back to my sh!t office made me hate my life. It's like working in a mall where everything is free.

#11 StriderNo9

StriderNo9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yay, more poop talk....... really tired of it, otherwise good show. I still think Cheapy is lying when he says he is really excited about what Nintendo says about their new console. In reality he just wants info so he can pick them apart. Otherwise good show.

#12 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:12 PM

Calling Enslaved's story "ok" is a complete understatement. It's a simple story, but there are few games (batman arkham asylum and Uncharted 1+2 come to mind) that combine the story and gameplay as well. One thing that is not mentioned enough is that it was written by Alex Garland, author of the Beach (great book, shit movie), the tesseract (great book), and 28 Days Later (great movie).

I think video game stories need to be simplified. . . too often they get wordy and confusing to the point that i stop paying attention. Enslaved keeps it simple yet gripping and i think a lot of game writers should follow suit.

#13 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

Wombat: "WHERE'S MAH TRUFFLES?" LOL

Kinda funny Cheapy said it's silly to buy a 3DS now and he bought one.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#14 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

I've got the same thing going on as Cheapy with the Gears 3 beta. I play a match and feel like I'm kicking some serious ass. I then get to the final scoreboard and have 2 kills and 2 assists. The top guys have like 13 or 17 kills.

I guess this is kinda good. With Call of Duty, if I'm stinking during a match, I know it during the match. With Gears I at least don't realize how bad I am until the end.

I did have one good match last night. I almost got MVP for the match. Stupid guy that got the last kill of the match just passed me.

#15 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Calling Enslaved's story "ok" is a complete understatement. It's a simple story, but there are few games (batman arkham asylum and Uncharted 1+2 come to mind) that combine the story and gameplay as well. One thing that is not mentioned enough is that it was written by Alex Garland, author of the Beach (great book, shit movie), the tesseract (great book), and 28 Days Later (great movie).

Except Enslaved barely has any gameplay; it's all auto jumping with no chance to fail, boring & simplistic fighting, and a crappy frame rate to drag everything down even further. It's not a coincidence that Ninja Theory's games always sell poorly.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#16 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Except Enslaved barely has any gameplay; it's all auto jumping with no chance to fail, boring & simplistic fighting, and a crappy frame rate to drag everything down even further. It's not a coincidence that Ninja Theory's games always sell poorly.

I agree with what you said but honestly i didn't care. This was a rare game that the gameplay was second to the story.

I think the reason this game didn't sell well was that they did ZERO marketing for it and it was put out during the holiday season. Put this game out in march with a little marketing and it would have done better. I follow the video game industry as a hobby and i didn't know this game existed until i started reading the reviews. This game had no industry buzz what-so-ever.

EDIT: I actually liked that it had auto jumping. . . falling off cliffs and ledges constantly would have taken me out of the story.

#17 sdp

sdp

Social Hermit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

My comment on last weeks thread wasn't really meant to be read on the show, especially not only small snippets like it was. It was just meant to be some general feedback on my current thoughts on the podcast as a listener. Anyways my only real problem was the way Wombat botched up my post, I think anyone who did not read the post which is most of the listeners had no idea what the hell I was trying to say and/or came off as an idiot. And since its sometimes hard to tell the mood of a post from just text, no I'm not upset about it just wanted to mention it.

Question for Shipwreck, does Mortal Kombat really cover the story all the way up to Armageddon? I thought it only covered it up to 3 counting its missing pretty much almost everyone of the new combatants of the post MK3 games.

#18 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:28 PM

I still think Cheapy is lying when he says he is really excited about what Nintendo says about their new console. In reality he just wants info so he can pick them apart. Otherwise good show.

Bitch when they say nice things about Nintendo, bitch when they say bad things about Nintendo. Great plan.

#19 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

One more thing:

A good radio host knows how to steer a show. They will cut people off if they are talking too much about a certain topic and they will introduce a new topic to keep the show moving in the right direction (I personally think Opie from the Opie and Anthony show is the best at this in the industry). Cheapy, in my opinion, does a fine job in this department.

#20 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Question for Shipwreck, does Mortal Kombat really cover the story all the way up to Armageddon? I thought it only covered it up to 3 counting its missing pretty much almost everyone of the new combatants of the post MK3 games.

It actually starts at the end of Armageddon. Raiden sends a premonition back to himself at the beginning of MK1, so the story unfolds as an alternate reality of sorts of the events of MK1-3. At least that's how I understand it so far as I haven't finished it yet.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#21 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Early buzz about the "Revolution" brought me back into gaming. As little as I play my Wii, I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store.

Buttons, touchscreen, and at least one analog stick—I wonder if you'll be able to use your 3DS as a second controller? You know...a $250 controller.

#22 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

It actually starts at the end of Armageddon. Raiden sends a premonition back to himself at the beginning of MK1, so the story unfolds as an alternate reality of sorts of the events of MK1-3. At least that's how I understand it so far as I haven't finished it yet.

i didn't play through any MK games after MK3 but you're right from what i read online about it. it's very cool. i haven't finished it either but the story is great. very long and well told.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#23 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

Wombat, try looking at the rule sheet for the Mars table. A lot of cool stuff happens when you follow the table rules. The spider bot scans stuff, the ship avoids sandstorms, lots of ramp missions, the satellite runs around doing stuff, etc. I agree it's not as good as the Marvel tables, but you should at least give it a try. I think why it isn't that great is because Mars is an old Zen Pinball (PS3) table.

P.S. I beat your high score after my second game.

Edited by thorbahn3, 22 April 2011 - 06:45 PM.

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#24 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Notes to self about Cheapy:

Poops in pants when going onto CNN...

Doesn't wipe poop from boy's butt when he does a big poop...

...and pees on self in shower.

That about it or is there more? =)

Okay, okay, seriously - a few ideas on Nintendo's philosophy releasing their next system in 2012...

1. Unless the NGP gets pushed back a little bit, there won't be another system released in the entire year; Nintendo's would be the only console released, so no new competition.
2. The Wii has slid from the top sales spot in the US and shows no signs of life in terms of first party development or 3rd party development (sorry Conduit 2). So instead of all Nintendo stories revolving around the drop in sales, the story will be Nintendo's new system. Might as well start the hype train now, while sales of the Wii console are on the decline.
3. End of the Mayan calendar. We all die. He who releases the last console wins.
4. More motion gaming! With more 3rd parties developing motion controls into games, Nintendo really has to appeal to these 3rd parties with hardware capable of handling the graphics. Doubtlessly, many of these developers have avoided the Wii because they'll have to downgrade all their graphics assets, so this will create more streamlined possibilities for 3rd parties. (Of course, this will have a negative impact down the road for Nintendo, as Sony and Microsoft release new systems in 2014 that resoundingly trump the new Nintendo system's capabilities, potentially putting Nintendo back into the same hole with 3rd parties.)

Edited by Kylearan, 22 April 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#25 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

So, Cheapy, you consider it positive reinforcement when computer voices call you fat? Interesting.

#26 Swoxx

Swoxx

Resident Swede

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

Very misleading show title, i was expecting an awesome poop story.

Other than that good show

#27 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

im surprised you all thought so highly of enslaved. that game felt like a chore to me it did have some ok moments but the dodge roll was useless, the enemies are very cheap when they attack in packs and the story started out interesting but the ending was shit. and that chick trip is one of the most annoying game characters ive ever encountered in a game. ever. all she does is boss the guy around and bitch about shit.

ive never wanted to see a character in a game die more and i wish they would have made it possible to kill her and play on your own. halfway through the game i couldnt stand her saying his name monkey monkey monkey monkey help!!!!!! enslaved is basically a poor mans ico without any of the charm or fun.

#28 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

im surprised you all thought so highly of enslaved. that game felt like a chore to me it did have some ok moments but the dodge roll was useless, the enemies are very cheap when they attack in packs and the story started out interesting but the ending was shit. and that chick trip is one of the most annoying game characters ive ever encountered in a game. ever. all she does is boss the guy around and bitch about shit.

ive never wanted to see a character in a game die more and i wish they would have made it possible to kill her and play on your own. halfway through the game i couldnt stand her saying his name monkey monkey monkey monkey help!!!!!! enslaved is basically a poor mans ico without any of the charm or fun.

Distinct minority on this one. Did she remind you of nagging ex, perhaps?

#29 TehMuff1nM4n

TehMuff1nM4n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:46 AM

Wombat if you still need a Gears 3 beta code I have an extra epic edition code. You just need to supply the Bulletstorm.

#30 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

Shipwreck

I agree Melting Pot is AWESOME!!! It is a great place to eat, also you can pretend to your friends you "just went there because your wife wanted too" and save face when you know deep down inside you wanted to eat there as much as she did !!
[URL="http://exophase.com/gamercards/"]Posted Image[/URL]