The TV Show about the Parks and Recreation Dept. in Pawnee, IN

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'll edit the thread title when the name of the show occurs to me. It's been around long enough, it's got at least one more year (provided NBC decides to air those episodes).

Think your neighbor has a fuller mustache than Ron Swanson? Want to learn the finer points of developing a Tom Haverford/Jay-Z vibe? Are your tits better than Leslie's? Do you believe Joe in Sewers is Pawnee's foremost baller? This thread is the place to ponder these ponderables with your fellow CAGs.

Let's discuss this motherlicker. Get to it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Tom N. Haverford collects globes!

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#3 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

http://www.tomhaverfoods.com/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

Tom N. Haverford collects globes!

His favorite movie is books.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

Bring back FireJoeMorgan

- Kent Remendeaux

#6 thecoryjihad

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

Um...its called Parks and Recreation?

#7 Ugamer_X

Ugamer_X

You can trust me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Um...its called Parks and Recreation?

Shut up Jerry.

#8 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

So that was a so-so episode. I don't think I needed another reminder of Leslie's commitment to Pawnee PNR, but yep, I got it, she is definitely committed to Pawnee, PNR, and Ron friggin Swanson. And I don't know how they managed to make a Ron Swanson B-story relatively uninteresting, but they did it, congrats.

Ben -- formerly Boy Mayor -- is getting in the way of things. That 3rd spot in the trip to Eagleton was rightfully Jerry's. Leslie, Tom, Jerry, that's your wrecking crew. Donna's your alternate if Jerry's pants split again or he's had an allergic reaction to strawberries or whatever the hell.

There were times I thought Ben might work. As Tom's reluctant partner in crime, maybe -- basically, as another straightman when Leslie, Ann, or Ron couldn't be around. But to hell with that, we don't need another straightman, especially one as bland as Ben. The character brings nothing to the game. Zero laughs. He's occupying space that belongs to Jerry, Donna, Ron, Tom, Andy, and/or April.

Kill him in a fiery explosion. Or just axe him like they did Mark. If the idea to Ben is that Leslie needs a love interest, screw that, things worked much better with Louis CK or the lawyer guy (name escapes me). Unlucky in Love Leslie is more interesting than Pining over Co-Worker Leslie.

I'm unsure of Rob Lowe's character, his oversight of everyone and what the hell he's doing in Pawnee, but at least Rob Lowe is bringing that weird energy to the screen, giving people something to play off of. And he's brought us Turkey Burgers. When's the last time Ben ever made somebody literally the best Turkey Burger they'd ever had?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Not to say the episode didn't have nice touches. The gift bags, etc. I'm just fed up with this Ben dude. He's clearly cutting into my Jerry/Donna time. That is BULLSHIT.

/doublepost
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

this thread is fitting for the show.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#11 youbastards

youbastards

Hey! Why so sexy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Indianapolis is home to Charles Mulligan's Steakhouse, the best damn steakhouse in the damn state. I have taken a picture of every steak I've ever eaten there.

June 2004: Porterhouse, medium rare, Bearnaise sauce.

January 2000: They call this one, The Enforcer.

February '96: The steak ribeye. The Whiskey: Lagavulin 16. The lady next to me? A bitch. Specifically, my ex-wife Tammy.

OK, this is the first I ever went there. Look at me. Just a kid.

#12 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

"Chicken Parmesan? I call that Chicky-chicky Parm"

#13 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Am I understanding there are TWO new episodes tonight?

sadklasldjkinlwfklkajfladsjkfhaldskfj

Posted Image

Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#14 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, starting at 8:30 CST, just looked it up.

This is literally the most important television broadcast ever.

EDIT: I'd like to learn more about this Jan Cooper lady. Maybe get a little snakejuice in her, see if she'll show me around Whoreville. First ep was good fun (Jean-Ralphio dops in with some almost-rhymes), second was pushing that romance off on us.

Edited by dothog, 13 May 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 lombarvm

lombarvm

Chief Boot Knocka

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Luther season 3
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#17 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

Those two episodes were AWESOME. Everyone got a moment to shine. This show is really hitting its stride, along with (surprisingly) Community.

#18 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Posted Image

YES. I am glad to see someone has already gif'd this particular sequence.

GET ME ANOTHER SNORK JUICE

Posted Image

#19 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

You ate her lunch and gave her a landmine???

#20 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

You ate her lunch and gave her a landmine???

That's how taxes work.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:02 AM

Ron is a wuss. I didn't cry when I got hit by a school bus when I was seven.

I also didn't get sick when I made tea from park sprinkler water.

Posted Image

#22 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

Tammy one!?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

Tammy one!?

I think we finally learned what Tammy Two's kryptonite is. :lol:

Spoiler

New sig coming soon.

#24 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

In the commentary on the Ron and Tammy episode (very minor potential spoiler):
Spoiler

It's gettin' NERD TRIVIA UP IN HURRRRRRRRR aw yeeeaaaaauh. Bring me my globe collection.

Edited by Strell, 20 May 2011 - 03:48 AM.

Posted Image

#25 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:27 AM

I might have to play back the episodes with audio commentaries this summer. I did listen to the one for the pilot. The only thing I remember was Rashida's acapella rendering of the show's theme at the end of the commentary.... which was classic.

New sig coming soon.

#26 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

I didn't know they had episodes with commentary. I'm gonna check that out. I take it this is on Hulu?

This was a good season, not as good as last season, but still good. I thought Traeger was going to get old after his first few episodes, but he wound up fitting right in. I love his brief exchanges with everyone ("April, that is not a good attitude, I will keep my eye on you").

The rest of the season comes down to the straightmen IMO. As for the straigtmen, Ron F Swanson is unassailable, he is King of all he surveys. Ann doesn't seem as boring as she used to be, they managed to skew her slightly the way they do Ron. Ben's the only real straight-up straigtman, and as a result he isn't working out much like Brandanowitz didn't work out. Part of that might be the forced romance, but still, that character isn't compelling. I think I've made my position on Ben clear enough, so I'll summarize it here: House fire, maybe? Or napalm? Burn that SOB.

I think the only real negative of this season is that there weren't nearly enough appearances from Joe from Sewage. That dude's a force of nature, he is raw sex appeal. MORE JOE, LESS BEN!

Andy had some good lines out of the last two episodes...

"Gases fill the volume of whatever container they're in. School."
"I will give 110% as soon as you repeat yourself in a more interesting way."

I love the citation on the first, and I'm totally stealing that second one every chance I get.

EDIT: Oh I forgot the most important point from the finale... Are they writing out Tom Haverford and Aziz Ansari? If so, DO NOT WANT.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

i thought those episodes were sort of a let down after Snake Juice. The first one of the night was definitely weak.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#28 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, they were still fun. The first for Traeger's interaction with PNR, and the second for the Lil Sebastian tribute.

I guess what makes both episodes a little so-so is the Ben/Knope thing. It just isn't as entertaining as the writers think it is -- I don't know that this show needs a romance that bad. It's one of those sitcom conventions they're forcing a little too hard, whether it's April/Andy or Ben/Knope, but especially Ben/Knope.

I don't want Knope's relationship with Ben to be one of her projects. I want actual projects (picnics for former PNR directors, tributes to dead midget horses, festivals, unused pits, library/PNR battles, nullifying Greg flippin Pikitis) to be her projects. I liked it better in Season 2, where her love life is usually a weird B or C story. Louis CK was good for that.

EDIT:
Also, Jean-Ralphio is a-flush with cash.

EDIT2:
I don't understand youtube embedding at all...sometimes it takes, sometimes it don't. It's frustratin, yall!

Edited by dothog, 20 May 2011 - 03:26 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

i didn't know they had episodes with commentary. I'm gonna check that out. I take it this is on hulu?

Its on the DVD releases only.

New sig coming soon.

#30 Strell

Strell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

EDIT: Oh I forgot the most important point from the finale... Are they writing out Tom Haverford and Aziz Ansari? If so, DO NOT WANT.

If this happens, the writers have peaked and forgotten one of the primary reasons the show is great to begin with. I'm going to think they are smart enough to avoid that, but you never know. Great comedy writing is difficult.

The ending segment where they went to E720's offices, though, make me think they are going to pull a "here's what we did over the summer" opener for the fall season, in which case Tom is going to show up and say how much it completely firebombed itself into the ground due to (Detleff pointing out) too much overhead and a dumbass CEO who doesn't know a thing (given how many characters actually say they HATE Ralphio, not just dislike, but HATE). He didn't even understand what Tom was proposing to begin with. So I'm expecting Tom to stick around and maybe Ralphio will become a bum. Maybe he'll be Andy's shoe shine boy assistant. They ....could do duets together, Ralphio could wear costumes and dance on the sidewalk to get more customERSYES YES YES DO IT ROCKAPELLA, DO IT.

Episodes were leagues ahead of The Office. They book all those stars and NONE OF THEM are amusing? Holy crap. Even Spader wasn't good. Get whoever wrote for him on Boston Legal for god's sake and let him strut around like a peacock, that's ALL you had to do. Son of a bitch.

Posted Image