Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind $17.50 Walmart.com/$19.49 Amazon

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Anime + published by Disney, so you know this never gets cheap! This is a blu-ray/DVD combo pack.

Walmart.com - $17.50

Amazon - $19.49

Edited by BustaUppa, 18 May 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#2 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I think this is actually pretty close to release week price including the DMR coupon. The coupon was only worth $8, I think, and no stores were cooperating with prices hovering around MSRP.

Plus with PS3 remote play you can basically PLay your PS3 games on your PSP Go anywhere you are basically making it a Portable PS3

But Metroid sucks. I consider it Gunpei Yokoi's worst creation, even beating the Virtual Boy.

RE: XBox ONE

at least they change their name and not name their systems 1,2,3,4

#3 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I think this is actually pretty close to release week price including the DMR coupon. The coupon was only worth $8, I think, and no stores were cooperating with prices hovering around MSRP.

The coupon was $10, and the cheapest place to buy it B&M was Target, so it was $17.99 + tax. Even with a 10% tax rate, it was $19.79.

I have a price watch on camelcamelcamel.com for $17.98, so if it hits that in the return period with Target (almost gone, I think), I'll return my copy to Target.

This is as cheap as it's been on Amazon, without question. Essentially as cheap as it's been with the DMR coupon on release.

#4 dg7md

dg7md

Overall, one helluva pup

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Perfect price, here's hoping it still ships with the slipcover.

#5 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

Thanks OP, went ahead and picked it up. First Ghibli film for me, so I'm looking forward to this.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#6 optimusprime8062

optimusprime8062

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:38 AM

Yeah Disney has the rights to Totoro and even restored it back to it's original content (apparently FOX edited out some content). Anyhow, I almost got this movie for FREE and a ton of other Disney movies but I showed up to work late the day they were giving them out for free. Son of a bitch! Luckily one of my co-workers who doubles as a friend got it, so I'm going to convince him to at least sell it to me for a good price.

#7 PotatoGuy

PotatoGuy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:28 AM

ordered! sucks its 7-9 days on wait.
how many more movies of his are on blu? want them all!

#8 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:36 AM

ordered! sucks its 7-9 days on wait.
how many more movies of his are on blu? want them all!

This and Ponyo are the only Ghibli films on Blu-ray so far in America. Japan also has Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas, with Whisper of the Heart coming in July.
Posted Image

#9 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:50 AM

updated OP for a slight price drop. $0.50 cheaper yay!

#10 cagfansub

cagfansub

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

This and Ponyo are the only Ghibli films on Blu-ray so far in America. Japan also has Laputa and My Neighbors the Yamadas, with Whisper of the Heart coming in July.

I'm hoping for Sprited Away in BluRay.. wondering when. :)

#11 MrNEWZ

MrNEWZ

Newzbytes~!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

updated OP for a slight price drop. $0.50 cheaper yay!

And it now beats the cheapest price @ launch when I missed the coupon because it was dead on Sunday when release was Tuesday! WOO!

In for one. Thanks.
-Michael

Posted Image

#12 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

Perfect price, here's hoping it still ships with the slipcover.

I got mine today, and it came with a slip cover. The only bad things is that they put stickers on it about how an much of an amazing value it is (since it's a combo) and that it'll play on your PS3.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#13 rapsodist

rapsodist

My Heart Is a 16-Bit Chip

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

I got mine today, and it came with a slip cover. The only bad things is that they put stickers on it about how an much of an amazing value it is (since it's a combo) and that it'll play on your PS3.

The stickers come off very easily if you use a blade carefully to lift a corner. Disney uses stickers that peel right off without tearing.

#14 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

And it now beats the cheapest price @ launch when I missed the coupon because it was dead on Sunday when release was Tuesday! WOO!

In for one. Thanks.

Had I not picked it up at launch via the coupon, I would have picked it up at this price, since it's close enough to match the price + tax of the coupon'd price.

#15 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:57 AM

Thanks. I was wondering what other Miyazaki films were on blu.
They should start with the new ones and go backwards.
Spirited Away is the movie I most want, of course.

I just noticed the American voices for Nausicaa has Captain Picard, Admiral Adama, and Sam Witwiki.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#16 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for the post, I never got this at launch so I picked it up just now :)
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

I am looking for the following items and will pay good money for them:
Suikoden II jewel case and manual:hot::hot::hot::hot:

Posted Image

#17 FusionHype

FusionHype

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

This is an awesome deal since Miyazaki movies rarely go on sale. Thanks!

CML :D
Posted Image

#18 MrNEWZ

MrNEWZ

Newzbytes~!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:10 PM

Had I not picked it up at launch via the coupon, I would have picked it up at this price, since it's close enough to match the price + tax of the coupon'd price.

Exactly. I missed out at launch BECAUSE of the short time frame for the coupon. I don't expect it to dip too much lower, so this was definitely the time for me to buy.
-Michael

Posted Image

#19 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have credit at Walmart so I decided to check them.

$17.50 with free shipping site-to-store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15561794?findingMethod=rr

Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#20 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, that's what prompted Amazon to drop the price in the first place. I submitted that price to Amazon in hopes they'd match several days ago, but so far, nothing. Amazon is apparently doing the same thing with those X-Men and Gargoyles sets, where Wal-Mart has them for even a couple bucks cheaper.
Posted Image

#21 BustaUppa

BustaUppa

what it is right now

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, I updated the OP with this! (and managed to switch my order over from Amazon... looks like the rush of orders worked in my favor and gave me enough time to cancel... so thanks again ;))

#22 Antic

Antic

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

Something I was wondering that maybe someone can help me with. I noticed that this release had new English dubs. What is the consensus on the new actors doing dubs over the original? I ask because I own the 2005 dvd version and I was wondering whether to dump that for the new one.

#23 supershammy

supershammy

Hand-rolled and ice cold.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:38 AM

The consensus in the reviewers' circle is that the new dubs are of extremely high quality. You might in fact already own the new dubs if you have a DVD from 2005, as I think that is about when they were re-recorded. The new dubs are noticeably better than the Japanese dubs, for instance, which are still from the 1980s and are reported to sound thinner in comparison because of the improvement in audio mastering over the decades.

#24 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:10 AM

Something I was wondering that maybe someone can help me with. I noticed that this release had new English dubs. What is the consensus on the new actors doing dubs over the original? I ask because I own the 2005 dvd version and I was wondering whether to dump that for the new one.

As far as I'm aware, it's the same dub from the old DVD release.
Posted Image