Photo
- - - - -

NFL Sunday Ticket Back for 2012 - Free for NFL STM Subs, $299.99 for Everybody Else

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

http://blog.us.plays...-ticket-to-ps3/

Hello PlayStation Nation!

Are you ready for some football!

We are excited to announce that PlayStation has partnered with DIRECTV to bring its popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET, to the PlayStation 3 game console. PlayStation owners across the country will now have the opportunity to watch every out-of-market Sunday game on their PS3.

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET is a DIRECTV-exclusive sports package that offers:

• Up to 14 NFL games every Sunday
  • Full HD for every football game
  • DIRECTV’s Red Zone Channel
We know that PlayStation fans are huge sports enthusiasts, so adding NFL SUNDAY TICKET is the perfect complement to the PS3’s rapidly growing lineup of sports entertainment, including MLB.TV and NHL GameCenter. We’ll have more info, including a video tutorial and sign up information on the blog shortly. I hope you’re as excited for the football season as we are.

I have to wonder how many people to put the $340 down for this when comparatively, the MLB service offers a ton more games for one-third of the cost.

#2 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

340/16=$21.25.

Yeah I can spend less then each time that I go to a sports bar to see all the Eagles games. (not even counting taking out the nationally televised ones)

#3 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

I don't have DirectTV and don't plan on paying almost $350 to watch the games. I cancelled my cable recently and switched to Hulu/Netflix/Antenna so this would have been nice had the option been much cheaper. Oh well.

#4 vherub

vherub

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Could be gameshared, or no?
so $68 a season is pretty reasonable

#5 lombarvm

lombarvm

Chief Boot Knocka

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Honestly, I would pay $21 per game rather than going to a sports bar. Wonder if this is a flat fee or monthly?
Posted Image

#6 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

Honestly, I would pay $21 per game rather than going to a sports bar. Wonder if this is a flat fee or monthly?

Read the OP:

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

#7 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

This what I want to know. It would be could if I could at least at halves with family member at a different household

#8 thomas10451

thomas10451

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

Man gamesharing would be sweet but doubtful. $340 bucks is not a cheapassgamers price ;).
Cheapassgamer for life. Sweet

#9 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

Is it in 3D or just 2D

#10 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Man gamesharing would be sweet but doubtful. $340 bucks is not a cheapassgamers price ;).

I have a crapload of gamestop credit that I could easily convert to psn cards if that were how this is going to be purchased. But I have a feeling the you will have to sign up through direct tv and just login on the ps3, similar to Netflix and Hulu.

#11 Sk

Sk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Only the NFL could get away with charging 340 for a season pass. Football is after all the most popular sport in America. I'd never pay that much though. Just about all the games I'd ever want to see are played in my market (with the exception of 3-4 match ups). In any case, I could watch these games a few hrs later on the NFL network.

#12 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

arkham city, battlefield 3 and uncharted 3 all come out during football season. i can safely say i wont be watching big dudes play smear the queer on my sundays.

EightBitArtist.png

#13 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Only the NFL could get away with charging 340 for a season pass. Football is after all the most popular sport in America. I'd never pay that much though. Just about all the games I'd ever want to see are played in my market (with the exception of 3-4 match ups). In any case, I could watch these games a few hrs later on the NFL network.

I really don't think its the NFL that is charging that much. I think its more Direct TV charging all that money since they are the ones have the exclusive deal with the NFL Sunday Ticket

#14 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

sunday ticket is at least becoming more accessible. I live in my team's home market now so no longer need it, but I would rather pay 350 bucks and keep cable then have to switch to direct tv(which used to be the only option).

I think NBA and MLB season tv passes are like 200 bucks, so there is a nice little price to pay for the exclusive agreement. Although, NFL is more popular then the other 2, so it would probably be a little more expensive anyways.

#15 azngtlman

azngtlman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

sunday ticket is at least becoming more accessible. I live in my team's home market now so no longer need it, but I would rather pay 350 bucks and keep cable then have to switch to direct tv(which used to be the only option).

I think NBA and MLB season tv passes are like 200 bucks, so there is a nice little price to pay for the exclusive agreement. Although, NFL is more popular then the other 2, so it would probably be a little more expensive anyways.

Same here, Sunday Ticket is the same price even if you have a Direct TV subscription already so it's tempting since it wasn't previously available as I want to keep my cable. We love watching tons of games on Sundays and this may be worth it to my wife and I. I may be a cheapassgamer, but I don't have to be a cheapass when it comes to sports. MLB.TV costs $120/year and it's well worth it as we watch more games across the league than our home teams.

Going through a season of watching quality football and having the option to watch any other game besides a Raiders/Niners game on a Sunday morning/afternoon may well be worth the $340/season.

#16 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:40 PM

ya, I am surprised they are doing this. It's a real shift in strategy, I always thought their main goal for sunday ticket was to force people to get Direct TV. It seems like they are now viewing Sunday Ticket as a way to profit as its own product. They must feel like they've got about as many people as they could to switch over to direct tv using their old tactic and now just want to get as much cash as possible out of their exclusive contract. Maybe Direct TV will decide they no longer want to pay the price for exclusivity next time their renewal is up.

#17 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hell No... I don't give a damn how that 340 looks divided up... 340 is too damn much. Its like they're penalizing customers for not being DTV subscribers. What this deal does, is at least make people think about subscribing to DTV so that they can get the package for 50 dollars and then have the PS3 as an extra receiver. Its a good time to switch if you think of it like that. The 340 price is rediculous; but again, I believe its designed that way, in order to get people to switch. imo
Posted Image

#18 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Makes me wonder if Sony had this to announce since E3 but couldn't because of the lockout. I imagine it's significant enough that it would get good press there

And no one should blame Sony for the $340 price. That is all DirectTV's doing.

#19 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Makes me wonder if Sony had this to announce since E3 but couldn't because of the lockout. I imagine it's significant enough that it would get good press there

And no one should blame Sony for the $340 price. That is all DirectTV's doing.

This. I can't wait till there deal with the NFL is over. I just hope the NFL doesn't renew with Direct TV again

#20 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hell No... I don't give a damn how that 340 looks divided up... 340 is too damn much. Its like they're penalizing customers for not being DTV subscribers. What this deal does, is at least make people think about subscribing to DTV so that they can get the package for 50 dollars and then have the PS3 as an extra receiver. Its a good time to switch if you think of it like that. The 340 price is rediculous; but again, I believe its designed that way, in order to get people to switch. imo

If you are an existing direct tv customer it costs 335 for sunday ticket. The 50 dollar price for existing customers is in addition to whatever they already pay for Sunday Ticket-all the Ps3 will do for people who already have direct TV is give them an additional box to watch it from.

IF you arent and existing customer they always have deals, but those deals are temporary. Right now, new customers can get sunday ticket for free, but I am not sure if that is for longer then the first year. Unlike cable, Direct TV requires a contract, I think 2 years, so the temporary deals aren't so great over the long haul.

Sure 340 bucks is a lot, but I would rather pay that price and keep cable and not get locked into a long term contract with a service I do not want. This is a very positive move for NFL fans IMO. I believe its the first time we have access to sunday ticket without having to switch to satellite. As I said earlier, I am really surprised Direct TV is no longer chaining sunday ticket to their long term satellite contracts.

#21 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Frisky, do you know if the $50 is for all DirectTV customers? As in people who don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket already could get it on their PS3 for $50? Some in the VG deals section are saying that's on top of the subscription to Sunday Ticket, but that doesn't make sense when Sony goes on to say that existing Sunday Ticket members can access it for no additional charge.

edit: Okay the current interpreation I'm getting is the $50 is just to use the PS3 as an additional receiver and has nothing at all to do with Sunday Ticket specifically. Sunday Ticket subscribers can access the games through the PS3 but cannot use the PS3 as a DVR receiver, unless they pay the $50 fee. It's written pretty vaguely on the Blog so it's causing a lot of confusion on various forums/news sites I go to. Sony has also removed the $50 wording from the main article (you can see it in the preview still from the main blog page)

Edited by ssjmichael, 18 August 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#22 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

Common sense and the "additional $50" wording tells me that you need a sub to NFL Sunday Ticket first if you're already a DirecTV subscriber and the $50 lets you watch those games on the PS3.

I don't know why there would be a deal thread for this since it's not a deal. This is full price and the deals forum isn't for news.

#23 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Common sense and the "additional $50" wording tells me that you need a sub to NFL Sunday Ticket first if you're already a DirecTV subscriber and the $50 lets you watch those games on the PS3.

I don't know why there would be a deal thread for this since it's not a deal. This is full price and the deals forum isn't for news.

I would say in addition to Sunday Ticket too as I'd be surprised if they gave all DirecTV customers access for just $50, BUT they edited the blog post after you made this thread to add:

"Existing DIRECTV customers who already have NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go through DIRECTV can access the service on their PS3 for no additional charge."

So the $50 isn't just for existing Ticket members to access the games since that's apparently free. They've also removed the $50 part from the main article btw. A deal thread wasn't made about this, it's in the PS3 price drop thread currently.

#24 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:57 AM

The $50 part is still there. I don't see how they'd offer NFL Sunday Ticket to DirecTV customers for $50 while those that forked over the $335 before this was announced get screwed over.

It does say "AND NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go," which is apparently a service that lets its subscribers stream games on the PC and phones. So the free part is an extension of NFL Sunday Ticket To-Go. If you don't have that but do have the normal season sub, it's $50 to enable streaming on the PS3, which seems to be the cost of To-Go anyway.

http://en.wikipedia....#Extra_features

#25 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:38 AM

If you are an existing direct tv customer it costs 335 for sunday ticket. The 50 dollar price for existing customers is in addition to whatever they already pay for Sunday Ticket-all the Ps3 will do for people who already have direct TV is give them an additional box to watch it from.

IF you arent and existing customer they always have deals, but those deals are temporary. Right now, new customers can get sunday ticket for free, but I am not sure if that is for longer then the first year. Unlike cable, Direct TV requires a contract, I think 2 years, so the temporary deals aren't so great over the long haul.

Sure 340 bucks is a lot, but I would rather pay that price and keep cable and not get locked into a long term contract with a service I do not want. This is a very positive move for NFL fans IMO. I believe its the first time we have access to sunday ticket without having to switch to satellite. As I said earlier, I am really surprised Direct TV is no longer chaining sunday ticket to their long term satellite contracts.

That makes sense. I had no idea that the Sunday Ticket was so expensive. For me 340 is too steep. But if you want that service then hell yeah, this is a great opportunity because like you mentioned, you don't have to swtich over to DTV just to get the ticket. This is good for DTV because I'm sure there's a lot of NFL fans who would love to have that NFL ticket, but don't want to switch to satellite. But you know DTV has a lot of customers who might want to opt out of their packages if they only signed up for the NFL Sunday Ticket service, now that its available outside of DTV.
Posted Image

#26 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

Why can't they just make a package for one team? Paying 300+ for 32 teams where you'll probably won't even watch half of them is stupid.

That's what I want, a 1 team package.

I don't understand paying for all the games when they pretty much are all on at the same time anyways. It would be different if it was 2 games a day 7 days a week and you could watch them all.
Posted Image

#27 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:57 AM

That makes sense. I had no idea that the Sunday Ticket was so expensive. For me 340 is too steep. But if you want that service then hell yeah, this is a great opportunity because like you mentioned, you don't have to swtich over to DTV just to get the ticket. This is good for DTV because I'm sure there's a lot of NFL fans who would love to have that NFL ticket, but don't want to switch to satellite. But you know DTV has a lot of customers who might want to opt out of their packages if they only signed up for the NFL Sunday Ticket service, now that its available outside of DTV.

Which is better for them in the long run because they just get paid for the stream, which is low maintenance for the most part. They won't have to deal with sending out workers and hardware to customers and all of the costs associated with that part of the business.

#28 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:13 AM

Which is better for them in the long run because they just get paid for the stream, which is low maintenance for the most part. They won't have to deal with sending out workers and hardware to customers and all of the costs associated with that part of the business.

Direct tv pays 1 billion a year for the exclusive rights to NFL. 340 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to forcing you into a 2 year satellite contract worth a few thousand dollars(and will likely keep you as a customer for years to come). There is absolutely no way it is better for them in the long run for you to opt for the ps3 deal over signing a satellite contract. But I guess they are realizing NFL Sunday ticket isn't enough to convert some people over to satellite and are trying to get whatever money they can out of Sunday ticket.

#29 DerClaw

DerClaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

Have we figured out if we can pay for this with PSN points? I mean, you can find those for 10-20% off sometimes, plus being able to use GS credit to pay for this would make it seem cheaper.

Trapped in St. Louis for another NFL season would make it more bearable if I could get an out of market game, but 350 bucks for what would amount to watching 1 extra game on probably 6 or 7 sundays is not worth it unless I can pay with PSN points.

#30 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

This is really only for hardcore NFL fans not homers that only watch games for one team. For the true fans of the game this is a good price.