Photo
- - - - -

XBLA - Sonic CD - 400 Points - Now Available!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

wuGJ8s2n28k

Sega hasn’t released a ton of information about the new Sonic CD port, but it’s still enough to get excited over. The game will be coming to XBLA, PSN, PC, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone (as an Xbox Live title). It will feature true widescreen support in which the field of view has been expanded from the original, rather than stretching a 4:3 image. The original Japanese soundtrack (also used in Europe but not the US) returns, and it now loops properly rather than pausing at the end of each song. Gamers can select between the original Sonic CD spin-dashing and physics or the Sonic 2 and 3-style, which worked a bit differently.

- From my Sonic CD announcement article at WPCentral.

EastX's Sonic CD review

Edited by eastx, 21 November 2012 - 06:09 PM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Whoa, day one. Seriously!

#3 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

No Sonic Boom in the OP?

Son, I am Disappoint

Spoiler
Spoiler

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#4 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:02 AM

What's wrong with
Spoiler

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

:whee:

Japanese intro? Seriously op?

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

So now that we're getting Sonic CD, I'm still left wondering when we're getting Sonic R with online multiplayer. :drool:

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#7 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

What's wrong with

Spoiler

Spoiler

And Scorch wins.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#8 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:24 AM

Yes, and what's wrong with the Japanese soundtrack? It's far more popular than the American one and builds excellently upon the music from Sonic 1 and 2. Here's an article discussing it.
I guess the US tunes have a few fans too (which I never knew before today). Also, I'm EastX, damn it! :-)

Edited by eastx, 23 August 2011 - 12:34 AM.

-Paul Acevedo

#9 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'm with Scorch on this one. Never heard the japanese intro before today. I could've done without hearing it. :razz: But the american intro, that is my nostalgia right there. I actually still have the PC version on my desk somewhere, but screw it. I'm getting this on xbla anyways.

card.png

#10 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

Fuck yeah, dude! Love Sonic CD. This is one of my old-school fanboy favorites. And, one of the very first memorable game-related music tracks that went beyond the usual beeps and boops. Day one insta-purchase.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#11 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

SPOILER ALERT

#12 ONESTARv2

ONESTARv2

Dreamcast Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:35 AM

I was a complete sonic diehard until post Dreamcast. Sadly I didn't play sonic CD until emulation came around on PC. I enjoyed it for what it was, and it had some very unique things to it. But honestly the level design to me felt like a disaster. The game is it's own unique thing, and was great for sega CD. I might even pick this up depending on the price. But how most people claim its the best sonic game out there I can not agree.
*The Cadillac of signatures*

#13 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

I love Sonic CD, it's my favorite in the series. With that said I'm probably not going to buy this since I already own it twice in Sonic Gems Collection and the original Sega CD. In fact on my way to work I'm going to pop in the Sega CD disk just to listen to the music.

#14 leylines

leylines

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

So now that we're getting Sonic CD, I'm still left wondering when we're getting Sonic R with online multiplayer. :drool:

finally someone who talks some sense around here. Just don't make sonic shuffle xbla, AI cheats something fierce.

#15 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Will pick this up, I'm still happy in the direction Sega has been pushing Sonic lately, and releasing some of the older gems should definitely help out.

659629.png?68329996

#16 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic. With that said, I hope It's 400msp considering it was on Sonic Gems collection and I already own that on the Cube.

#17 looploop

looploop

Camera-shy Supernova

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

This is great news. I've wanted to play this for years.
Is this love for Sonic R real? On a whim I tried playing it on my Saturn again a couple months ago but still can't move Sonic in a goddamn straight line.

「Im Himmel fehlen alle interessanten Leute.

Posted Image

#18 Regian

Regian

LevelUpNews.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

This is great news. I've wanted to play this for years.
Is this love for Sonic R real? On a whim I tried playing it on my Saturn again a couple months ago but still can't move Sonic in a goddamn straight line.

My pal 100 percented Sonic R. Thought the game was pretty meh.

Me? I kinda like Sonic The Fighters. Which one would you scorn most?

Back on topic, I am probably the small percentage who has never played Sonic CD in any form. I might check this out.

#19 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

I might get this. I already have Sonic Gems Collection. I kind of would rather like to see a HD port of Sonic Mega Collection + and Sonic Gems Collection on one disc for less than $30.

#20 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

I might get this. I already have Sonic Gems Collection. I kind of would rather like to see a HD port of Sonic Mega Collection + and Sonic Gems Collection on one disc for less than $30.

There's Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on disc, which you can get for cheap. That's all there's ever going to be, as far as classic Sonic collections on 360 go.

-Paul Acevedo

#21 Pirate331

Pirate331

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Back on topic, I am probably the small percentage who has never played Sonic CD in any form. I might check this out.

I always wanted to try Sonic CD (I've been into the 2D games ever since I got my Genesis in '92 or '93). Sonic and Mecha Sonic fighting for that chaos emerald on the cover? Fuck yeah. But I never got the Sega CD add-on or the PC port, and never had a GC, so this will be my first experience with it too.
Posted Image
Earn money by filling out mindless surveys!
http://www.cashcrate....php?ref=200970

#22 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Metal Sonic!

-Paul Acevedo

#23 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

My pal 100 percented Sonic R. Thought the game was pretty meh.

I 100% Sonic R in just a few hours many many years ago. There's only 5 courses to learn and once you figure out the sort cuts it's really not that difficult. Not that I didn't have fun but an XBLA version of this sounds like a bad idea. If you want to play a Sonic racing game stick to Sega's All-Star Racing, that's actually a damn fun game.

There's Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on disc, which you can get for cheap. That's all there's ever going to be, as far as classic Sonic collections on 360 go.

That collection is badass. Probably one of the best collections of games ever. It gives me very little reason to break out my CDX.

#24 Pirate331

Pirate331

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Metal Sonic!

Quite right. I wasn't sure which was the preferred nomenclature here.
Posted Image
Earn money by filling out mindless surveys!
http://www.cashcrate....php?ref=200970

#25 BackInBlack

BackInBlack

Fisher Price DSL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

I've never played Sonic CD. Pretty stoked on this.
StarCraft 2 - Roses

#26 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

On Sonic Retro, there was a few tasty details revealed:

The Taxman (unsure of his actual name, that's his user name) developed the Retro Engine in 2009 and its proof of concept was used on the iPhone. It is being used here, so this is a port instead of an emulation job. Thanks to this, you can expect:
-True widescreen support
-The ability to toggle between the Sonic CD spindash or the Sonic 2 spindash (switching to the latter also completely changes the physics and camera system used to the one used in Sonic 2/3&Knuckles)
-Japanese soundtrack
- A vague promise that some things are fixed, and some things are left alone to maintain Sonic CD's "flavor
- The soundtrack will loop continously, similar to the other Sonic titles

The press release and trailer hillariously refers to Sonic CD as a prequel to Sonic 4. Yeah, they reuse the style and format of the Sonic 4 trailer for the Sonic CD one. Sorry... at work, so I can't link to the Youtube trailer. Search for it!

But yeah. I'm really, really excited Sega is giving this much care to Sonic CD. The Retro Engine is the real deal, everyone.

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 25 August 2011 - 09:47 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#27 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

mjF6kq4MFlo
Updated the OP with new info and a link to my Sonic CD announcement article.

Edited by eastx, 26 August 2011 - 01:10 AM.

-Paul Acevedo

#28 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yeah, there's that terrible trailer I couldn't link to while I was at work. Welcome to Retro, by the way Eastx. ;)
I'm personally excited to play through the game with Sonic 3 physics. The Sonic CD physics, while making sense, felt... wonky.

#29 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:42 AM

This article seems to indicate that both soundtracks will be available in the port.
http://www.gamesrada...holiday-season/
Hope Gamesradar has their facts straight. That will be awesome if true.

#30 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

The press release definitely doesn't mention the American soundtrack:

http://www.verticalw...e-i-sonic-cd-i-

I think GamesRadar is misinterpreting Japanese/European soundtrack as two separate soundtracks. Guess we'll see.

Friend of Sonic, what's your name at the Sonic Retro board? I'm trying to set up an interview with the Taxman guy, Chris Whitehead... Let's hope he agrees. :)

-Paul Acevedo