Photo
- - - - -

GameStop Offering FREE $50 GC and B2G1 Used Promotion to DEHR PC Early Adopters

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Just received this email, so it looks like GS is trying to make good on the whole OnLive fiasco:

Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely,
Paul Raines
CEO, GameStop

UPDATE: News Source

To Qualify For The $50 GC and B2G1 Promotion:
- Must have purchased Deus Ex: Human Revolution Standard Edition (YMMV on Augmented) for PC prior to 8/26 (does NOT exclude regular purchases)
- Must provide receipt or proof of purchase from online order
- Product does NOT need to have had the OnLive code removed to qualify; if it was sealed at purchase, you're still fully eligible

$50 GC is rung up as cash and totaled out. The employee is required to print a gift receipt for nightly counts as the register will be short $50 in cash.
B2G1 used is rung up with the lowest priced item marked down to a penny. There is no coupon issued for this, so you can work with your GS employee for a raincheck if you don't want to purchase immediately.

If you do not have your receipt, go to the store it was purchased and they will look up your information (1).

Edited by Jodou, 28 August 2011 - 01:33 AM.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#2 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Just received this email, so it looks like GS is trying to make good on the whole OnLive fiasco:

Is that only good for Standard or does the Augmented Edition qualify for this too?
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#3 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

Is that only good for Standard or does the Augmented Edition qualify for this too?

I bought the standard and the email specifically states standard. Doesn't hurt to try, because I'm sure there will be confusion for the first few days. Hell, it's $50 FREE so I'd go for it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#4 Denbo32

Denbo32

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thats a very nice deal. If they give it to all people who bought it then its good way to say we screwed up, don't sue us.
Posted Image

#5 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

I bought the standard and the email specifically states standard. Doesn't hurt to try, because I'm sure there will be confusion for the first few days. Hell, it's $50 FREE so I'd go for it.

I will see if I get the e-mail. It sucks that the Augmented Edition might not qualify for this. Damn my love of Deus Ex :lol:

If I can get a free $50 GC for the Augmented Edition then I will forgive them as I walk out with a new preorder.
Posted Image

#6 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

The abbreviation for Deus Ex: Human Revolution nicely sums up GameStop's boneheadedness in all this:

DEHR!!!

#7 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

I will see if I get the e-mail. It sucks that the Augmented Edition might not qualify for this. Damn my love of Deus Ex :lol:

If I can get a free $50 GC for the Augmented Edition then I will forgive them as I walk out with a new preorder.

So why not copy the email and print that out?
Wonder how all gamestops going to honor this?

#8 Maestro

Maestro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

they're only doing this because of the bad press.

#9 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:09 PM

So why not copy the email and print that out?
Wonder how all gamestops going to honor this?

I would, I just don't want to drive 25 mins to gamestop to find out they are not going to honor the augmented edition.
Posted Image

#10 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

they're only doing this because of the bad press.

Well obviously; it's PR damage control. I was surprised at how fast it exploded. Not like it was a slow news day with Irene looming.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#11 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

It's better than nothing but really, Gamestop still benefits from this, and Onlive is still getting shafted.

#12 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

Too bad the PS3 version isn't covered. :lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#13 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Wow, nice move, Gamestop. A lot more than I expected, honestly. If I had thought this much good could've come out of it, I would've driven over there and bought myself a copy. I thought about it originally, but didn't expect GS to really come back with much.

#14 pieczonka

pieczonka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

the email says you must show your receipt which I do not have anymore. Its going to be fun having the argument at the store.

#15 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

It's better than nothing but really, Gamestop still benefits from this, and Onlive is still getting shafted.

How is Gamestop benefiting from this? They got tons of bad publicity and are ATTEMPTING to make it up to people by offering them up to $75 of pre-owned product for free. That, to me, sounds like an epic loss.

As for OnLive... they're the ones benefiting. They packed in all those free copy coupons to spread the word, to get people to use their service. Now thousands and thousands of people who weren't even going to buy the game know exactly who they are. They reached so many more people than expected, and many of the codes they gave away to do so aren't even being used. Epic win.

#16 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Too bad the PS3 version isn't covered. :lol:

But cant u take that email print out?
Maybe Gamestop has a promo code to type in the computer to give $50 or B2G1 promo???

#17 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

lol... poor bs excuse... "We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer."

Really gamestop? You didn't need to pull this shit in the first place. All it would have taken is to ask your suppliers NOT to include anything like that in the future... Problem solved.

But still you guys who got the game are lucky to get the 50 dollar gift card and keep the game. So you just got it for free. :|

I really wonder why they give a Fuck about PC gamers.....when in stores there is a very small section for PC games... they really could have said Fuck YOU and left it at that.

but wait.......someone would have filled a class action lawsuit in time for this shit.

#18 smellmybutt

smellmybutt

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

So there is no way to buy a copy today, take this email and receipt and get $50 back right?

#19 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

the email says you must show your receipt which I do not have anymore. Its going to be fun having the argument at the store.

I know it explicity states you need your receipt, but I can't see why they couldn't look it in your PUR past purchases (if you used a PUR card, of course).

#20 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

So there is no way to buy a copy today, take this email and receipt and get $50 back right?

How would you buy a copy if they're all recalled? ;)

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#21 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

time machine silly!

:P

#22 smellmybutt

smellmybutt

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

They really recalled them? I thought they just gutted the PC games.

#23 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Funny thing is, as soon as they realized that the ONLIVE coupon was in the retail pc game they could of just put a memo out stating to put the game away and not sell it due to a recall or whatever reason but they went about it wrong. They opened the game up, gutted it and removed the code then tried to sell it as "new". They usually do it for the most part, except the real kicker is them removing the Onlive free game coupon and not telling customers about it. That is some shady stuff right there and if it had happened to me I still wouldn't go back even after this now sort of apology (pathetic really).

On the other hand, I guess as a cag we'll see lots of flipping of gs items soon.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Reck_Havoc

Reck_Havoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

My local Gamestop has one copy of the PC version left.. would I get this deal if I bought it today?

#25 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hmmm. I wonder what they'll do the next time we catch them doing something shady. I'll still continue to boycott GameStop.

#26 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

My local Gamestop has one copy of the PC version left.. would I get this deal if I bought it today?

We're not Nostradamus, go try it and find out then let us know.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

I can guarantee it's not worth the hassle. Did you get the e-mail?

47206.png
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, Earth Defense Force 2025, South Park: The Stick of Truth
:3ds: Rhythm Thief, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
:psp: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, DJ Max Technika Tune, Rayman Origins

#28 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Who's the idiot running Gamestop that thought people wouldn't find out about what they were trying to do?

"I've got an idea guys, maybe if we take the code out and re-shrink wrap the games, nobody will know! Wait, you guys that I'm paying 8 bucks an hour...you won't tell, will you?"
Posted Image

#29 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

So no more boycott? Hahah.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#30 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

Who's the idiot running Gamestop that thought people wouldn't find out about what they were trying to do?

"I've got an idea guys, maybe if we take the code out and re-shrink wrap the games, nobody will know! Wait, you guys that I'm paying 8 bucks an hour...you won't tell, will you?"

The sad thing is that they do have a shrink wrap machine.

I remember when blockbuster had the same thing. I would as BB to wrap a dvd because it was a gift. (Aunt)