Photo
- - - - -

The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

#1 htown01

htown01

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

Since the HP Touchpad thread in the Video Game Deals thread is becoming too big for many to follow, and have found some questions being asked repetitively, I thought this would be a great idea.

I hope the CAGs who were able to get one come here to learn and contribute :)

Precentral Forums
HP Touchpad forum

The Official HP Palm Blog: Updates on certain apps on webOS, 6-pack app giveaways, etc.

Performance

How to improve the performance of your new HP Touchpad
Got a slow HP Touchpad?
Tired of refreshing webpages because of old content? Check it out here!
Got a New Touchpad and want to make it even more awesome? Check it out here!

Video Converter

Streaming

Orb Caster from Orb Networks (1st post)
Easy and free, and works great
-Plays ALL video formats that your computer can do (even ones not supported by the TouchPad)
-Streams even 720p HD movies, with little or no buffering at all during movie

Accessory Reviews

Troubleshooting
The Official HP Palm Blog
WebOS Doctor for Touchpad
How to use webOS Doctor
Hulu Fix for Touchpad

FAQ

1) I'm not able to install pre-ware, webOS Quick Install hangs on an .ipk package?

Try installing webOS v3.0.2 BEFORE you install preware. Go to
>Settings
>>System Update

2) How long does the update take? My Touchpad seems to hang/receive a message of "Unable to connect. Try again later."

When initially installing the system update, it states that the Touchpad will download the update when the tablet is idle and it will inform you when it is ready to be installed.

I left mine idle for an hour or so and the update was ready to install.

3) Is there a patch to unthrottle downloads on the Touchpad?

Yes, after installing preware, start up the webOS Quick Install app and click on the "Patches" tab. Search for "unthrottle" and you will see the "Unthrottle Download Manager" patch. Install and restart the touchpad (that is if you are done looking for other patches).

4) How do I...? (General Functions)
FAQ HERE - Thanks to user speedtouch at webOSroundup.com

5) I'm not able to install the novacom drivers on Mac OS X Lion, what should I do?
xda developers Forum link

Edited by htown01, 07 September 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#2 htown01

htown01

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Reserved...don't know for what yet.

Edited by htown01, 07 September 2011 - 11:22 PM.

#3 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Good idea.. should limit guys like me from turning the other thread into a tech support thread lol.

#4 htown01

htown01

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

Good idea.. should limit guys like me from turning the other thread into a tech support thread lol.

:lol: I saw many people are still looking up their order status on the BB site and have to go through several posts asking for help and whatnot.

#5 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Do you know if there's any way to run Visual Boy Advance on the TP? I've been looking online but I'm not really sure. From what I've seen it either doesn't run on it or it doesn't run well.. is there a working one out there? Is it something that's coming in the near future? Would be pretty cool to have it.

#6 mcdaking84

mcdaking84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

Can I put apps that I buy on two different touchpads? want to put it on my gf's like with ios

#7 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

Can I put apps that I buy on two different touchpads? want to put it on my gf's like with ios

Unless you share the same account I doubt it, just as you wouldn't be able to do that with the iPod/iPad.

#8 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Good thread. I added a link to webosroundup.com which has a forum thread with general info for beginners. It's question 4 in the FAQ.

#9 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

It looks like HP is taking a stab at an iTunes-esque music program.

http://hpplay.com/

My first thoughts are, while it's still beta, it is like a very bare version of iTunes. It even imports iTunes music/playlists/etc.

It has some detection issues, like the inability to differentiate between USB devices. It detected my external HDD as a compatible device, but fortunately there is an option to ignore the device.

Overall, it will simplify synching music. It doesn't seem to support video yet, but hopefully that will come with time.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#10 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:41 AM

Subscribed.

I've been using webOS for over two years so I know a few things. I'll try to help where I can.

#11 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

I think a great idea would be to start a list of the best preware apps/patches/etc.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Just foumd the link to this thread from the other post so I figured I'd re-post my problem with the HP app here:

Not sure how I did it but I borked the HP app catalog. Every time I try to load it now, two cards open up; one card show a smartphone size window that's white and the other card is the browser directed to http://index.html/ and it gives a prompt of "ERROR Unable to resolve host".

I had updated to latest webos version. Tried to download apps but would fail at install. Saw that there were updates to HP app, Adobe so dl'd those. During the HP app dl, it froze and gave me error message to restore HP app catalog. Couldn't quit, so clicked to restore and that seemed to screw it up.:cry:

Anyone know how to restore the HP app?

#13 htown01

htown01

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Just foumd the link to this thread from the other post so I figured I'd re-post my problem with the HP app here:

Not sure how I did it but I borked the HP app catalog. Every time I try to load it now, two cards open up; one card show a smartphone size window that's white and the other card is the browser directed to http://index.html/ and it gives a prompt of "ERROR Unable to resolve host".

I had updated to latest webos version. Tried to download apps but would fail at install. Saw that there were updates to HP app, Adobe so dl'd those. During the HP app dl, it froze and gave me error message to restore HP app catalog. Couldn't quit, so clicked to restore and that seemed to screw it up.:cry:

Anyone know how to restore the HP app?

I've been fortunate so far as to not have an issue with much regarding my Touchpad. A CAG on the deals thread mentioned webOS doctor (it's under Troubleshooting in the 1st post). Try that, it's supposed to restore functionality and update the webOS software/apps on it.

#14 hhhdx4

hhhdx4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Would that be a better alternative to having music on the device? I know I won't always have wifi especially if I'm out and about somewhere so it kind of defeats the purpose. When I'm home I can just open up iTunes and listen..

It's more of a bonus than a feature I would say. When you do have wifi the found quality is excellent, but you don't have notification bar controls like you would using the normal app. There's also the need to have wifi.

#15 Dkellar

Dkellar

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

In case anybody else is interested here in some free ebooks for their Kindle app: http://www.amazon.co...node=2245146011

It's mostly older titles and classics, but often times those are the better books to read in my opinion.

#16 Dkellar

Dkellar

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I've downloaded the development SDK for WebOS and plan on messing around with it later this weekend. I have an interesting idea for a few apps, but I need to look more into the device. Just out of curiosity, what kind of apps do you guys want to see on the TP?

#17 flyinfast

flyinfast

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

@dkellar I personally would like to see a media player app, something like the vlc media player. All that codex stuff and formatting shouldn't be too hard to do, right? Lol. The other thing I wish was available was any sort of office suite, so I could use it for my school work. And while you are at it, let's get a netflix app going too! Lol!

#18 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

So I haven't turned off logging yet and I just tried skype chat with my buddy who also got a TP. Does the logging "hack" fix the shitty skype video conferencing?

#19 Nagasami

Nagasami

Nagasami-san of the Oda clan

• CAGiversary!

I like how they take all emails from different providers and put it into one...dont know if same for iPad but i do like it :D

#20 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

god where are all the links on how to get acquainted with this thing and to overclock it? i shouldve bookmarked it :bomb:

i cant even update mine either.
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#21 Lord Hamm

Lord Hamm

Give me a Dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

god where are all the links on how to get acquainted with this thing and to overclock it? i shouldve bookmarked it :bomb:

i cant even update mine either.

http://forums.precen...rted-guide.html

And trust me this thing blazes like a wildfire once you hack all the logging off and OC it to 1.5 GHZ. Improves the quality of the whole device and makes it about four times faster than stock
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

And trust me this thing blazes like a wildfire once you hack all the logging off and OC it to 1.5 GHZ. Improves the quality of the whole device and makes it about four times faster than stock

Tell me about it..... It is as fast as my iPad 2 now. The device that I paid 500 dollars for lol. I don't like to think about it.....

#23 jbrun85

jbrun85

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

is there a downside to overclocking the unit?

#24 kingsnuff

kingsnuff

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

I was curious about this too.
121056.png
Latest Buys: :xb1: MGS V: Ground Zeroes :xb1: Tomb Raider: DE :xb1: Theif :xb1: Forza 5 :xb1: Wolfenstein: The New Order
Preorders: :xb1: Destiny :xb1: Forza Horizon 2 :xb1: The Evil Within :xb1: Farcry 4 :xb1: The Division

#25 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

Possible brick/shorter life span.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#26 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

Possible brick/shorter life span.

Yeah - I haven't done any of the hacks. I'm pretty happy with it as it is. Maybe at some point I'll turn off the logging stuff - but I will probably never overclock it.

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#27 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

i was going to ask you what are the cons....yeah i dont feel like overclocking it anywhere seeing as i just got it :P
Tradelist

#28 McNutsack

McNutsack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

Isnt the Touchpad covered by warranty for a year? After a year is up, overclock and install Android on it, or whatever you want. Im gonna play it safe until then. Ive had my ipod since they first came out, and besides replacing the battery every 2 to 3 years for about 20 bucks, its had no problems; i hope the same will stand true for my Tablet, and I hope batteries wont be too hard to find or overpriced...or difficult to install.

#29 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

yeah I'll turn off logging and see if that's good enough.

anyone know how to remove a just type search engine I added by mistake?

#30 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

i cant find a way to transfer my PDFs from my computer to my TP. can anyone help? apparently the only way to do it is to send it to your email then save it from your touchpad.
Tradelist