• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 TurboChickenMan

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

This is a new video:

What happened to the latter part of "make love, not war"? Nowadays, all the left ever talks about is equality. Anti-racism laws*, distribution of wealth*, etc. The bottom has completely dropped out of the anti-war movement.

This 75+ year old guy from gun totin' Texas is one of the last anti-war people in Washington, and the ONLY one currently running for president.

If he can't convince y'all from a moral standpoint, how about a financial one? The current wars are costing trillion$ that could be potentially spent on stuff like, say, EQUALITY measures*!

*I'm not here to discuss these issues (or my mental state, which I'm sure you'd love to) - just war.

P.S. Don't just post some Vietnam era song and walk away - I'm VERY interested in hearing an explanation as to what became of YOUR movement.
Notpron!!!

#2 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

The anti-war movement is really more of a baby boomer phenomenon, and the reality is that those selfish pricks grew up and became teabaggers, voting in the same pro-war douchebags they used to protest against.

And just to piss you off "out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

#3 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

This is a new video:

What happened to the latter part of "make love, not war"? Nowadays, all the left ever talks about is equality. Anti-racism laws*, distribution of wealth*, etc. The bottom has completely dropped out of the anti-war movement.

This 75+ year old guy from gun totin' Texas is one of the last anti-war people in Washington, and the ONLY one currently running for president.

If he can't convince y'all from a moral standpoint, how about a financial one? The current wars are costing trillion$ that could be potentially spent on stuff like, say, EQUALITY measures*!

*I'm not here to discuss these issues (or my mental state, which I'm sure you'd love to) - just war.

P.S. Don't just post some Vietnam era song and walk away - I'm VERY interested in hearing an explanation as to what became of YOUR movement.

It's funny considering that Russia is anything but a Democratic nation nor a free market anymore. That makes this speech like what, 5 years too late?

But on a more serious note, I always find it funny when someone says just respecting another nation will make everything better. However things he mentions, like currency manipulation, may be stopped by us but I can guarantee that just because we stop our "nation building", doesn't mean countries like China, Mexico, most of Europe will stop. Hell look at the recent sphere building in Africa by Asian and European countries looking for cheaper labor, land, and energy. I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.

Edited by cindersphere, 16 September 2011 - 01:50 AM.

Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#4 TurboChickenMan

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.

I'm sure he knows what's going on in the world, but he believes America should just mind its own business.

And everyone hates him for it.
Notpron!!!

#5 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:24 AM

#6 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:38 AM

That is not why "everyone" hates him.
wahhhhh noone helped me so they must not help anyone. - knoell

#7 TurboChickenMan

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

That is not why "everyone" hates him.

It IS one reason why many do.
Notpron!!!

#8 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

It IS one reason why many do.

If there is a thread made for each one of the reasons why everyone hates Ron Paul then there are going to be alot of useless threads.

Let's just leave it at the guy is an unelectable idiot.

#9 TurboChickenMan

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

Let's just leave it at the guy is an unelectable idiot.

You can have your opinion of him, but I'd like a proper answer to the question I asked - what happened to the anti-war left?
Notpron!!!

#10 wune

wune

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

+1 for Ron Paul
+3 for calling out those who were against war, but are OK with it now that Obama is in charge.

btw, tea party is against the wars as well. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though.

#11 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

You can have your opinion of him, but I'd like a proper answer to the question I asked - what happened to the anti-war left?

It's not to hard to figure out.

The Vietnam war draft scared the shit out of alot of kids so they protested.

Nowadays if you don't want to fight it's pretty simple, you just don't signup.

The modern left respectfully disagrees with the wars but at the same time has a great deal of respect for the armed services.

#12 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

tea party is against the wars as well.

Bullshit.

btw,. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though

Complete bullshit.

+3 for calling out those who were against war, but are OK with it now that Obama is in charge.

Many are not "OK" with it, if it was up to me I'd have us out by tomorrow.

However, I would not vote for the turd hoagie that is Ron Paul and his terrible policies (even if he was electable) just because he might try to leave Iraq etc.

#13 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Entertain my whims at the drop of a hat. I demand it.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#14 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

I very strongly believe Ron Paul would put us on the path to saving this country.

Instead everyone will call him a kook or an idiot or say Ron who?? and we'll end up with the same tired shit as always with the country going further and further down the toilet. It boggles my mind that over and over, again and again...time after time... the American people as a whole are too blind to see this. If I hadn't seen it repeatedly with my own eyes I'd never believe that human beings in this day and age could be so naive, so gullible...and yet that is exactly the case. I honestly don't understand it and it makes me sad for the future.

There is one simple thing about Ron Paul regardless of whether or not you agree with him that makes him the only possibility in my mind. He is honest.

I hope that he sticks around and keeps telling everyone what is going to happen just so that he can die knowing he was right. His gravestone should read: "I told you so."

#15 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

I always find it funny when someone says just respecting another nation will make everything better. However things he mentions, like currency manipulation, may be stopped by us but I can guarantee that just because we stop our "nation building", doesn't mean countries like China, Mexico, most of Europe will stop. Hell look at the recent sphere building in Africa by Asian and European countries looking for cheaper labor, land, and energy. I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.

We can lead by example and not by force first. The military should be reserved for the defense of this country.

Let's say I show you respect even though you hate me for whatever reason. Are you going to attack me first when I do that? I don't believe you will, but if you do I will end you plain and simple. That imo is a strong defense, and what we need.

Also assuming you already hate me, what would the true reasons for that be? As long as you're a sane human being, hate to the point of attacking me would probably come from me having done something to you prior.

#16 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Uh, a Democrat was elected president. There was a big anti-war protest, if I recall, on the day of the healthcare bill vote in the House. Most networks were covering the tea movement though.

btw, tea party is against the wars as well. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though.

Course they were. They were just busy telling people who were against the war they 'hate america' and they are 'pro-Saddam'. They're the base of the Republican party, I definitely don't remember too many tea party protests or even a tea party movement any time when Bush was president.

Only exception I see would be Paulistinians, who are mostly consistent, but they definitely don't make up a majority of the tea party.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#17 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

I very strongly believe Ron Paul would put us on the path to saving this country.

Instead everyone will call him a kook or an idiot or say Ron who?? and we'll end up with the same tired shit as always with the country going further and further down the toilet. It boggles my mind that over and over, again and again...time after time... the American people as a whole are too blind to see this. If I hadn't seen it repeatedly with my own eyes I'd never believe that human beings in this day and age could be so naive, so gullible...and yet that is exactly the case. I honestly don't understand it and it makes me sad for the future.

There is one simple thing about Ron Paul regardless of whether or not you agree with him that makes him the only possibility in my mind. He is honest.

I hope that he sticks around and keeps telling everyone what is going to happen just so that he can die knowing he was right. His gravestone should read: "I told you so."

Honesty is the only thing you look for in a President? I know plenty of dull, painfully honest people who would make absolutely terrible leaders.

I'm not saying Ron Paul is honest, I'm saying you have a pretty dopey way of evaluating the field.

#18 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have no problem with Ron Paul's foreign policy at all. I have a big problem with everything else.
Posted Image

#19 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

I love how you can be both anti war and pro letting someone die who doesnt have insurance because that is freedom.

How does that even work in ones mind?

#20 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

I like Ron Paul quite a bit too, and it's mostly because of his foreign policy opinions, which are far better informed, and based on information that many of us don't have at our disposal. You might disagree with his conclusions, but as another pointed out, he speaks honestly, he is consistent, and he doesn't pander. He states his view, and basically says to people, if you don't like it, then don't support me. He's not a weasel like the other politicians that will have a different position depending on which group they are at a fundraiser for. So yes, integrity and honesty are critical traits I look at when considering Presidential candidates.

I'm not sure our country would be better off with RP in office, but I definitely don't think it will be any worse. Huntsman is the only other guy in the race who I actually like, and he's an even longer shot than RP.

#21 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

This is what Ron Paul's Foreign Policy really seems like:
Ron: You know what pal, I just broke up with my girlfriend and I need a shoulder. Are you free?
Steve: Yeah man, that really sucks, let's grab a beer
Ron: <tells sob story puts a couple bucks down for the bill>
Steve: You know man, my dad is kinda sick and I'd like to talk about it
Ron: Deal with your own problems you fucker.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#22 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'm sure he knows what's going on in the world, but he believes America should just mind its own business.

Hmm, not to sure there, ideology and gut feelings can be hard to see through. Just as Winston Churchill about how good a guy Stalin was, to keep with the theme of the cold war.

As for the second part, the left anti-war movement never went away, the media just shifted its attention away, and took yours along with it I see.

We can lead by example and not by force first. The military should be reserved for the defense of this country.

Let's say I show you respect even though you hate me for whatever reason. Are you going to attack me first when I do that? I don't believe you will, but if you do I will end you plain and simple. That imo is a strong defense, and what we need.

Also assuming you already hate me, what would the true reasons for that be? As long as you're a sane human being, hate to the point of attacking me would probably come from me having done something to you prior.

:rofl:
Seriously? You entire situation is just a micro scale policy of mutually assured destruction, and no I don't hate you.

Secondly, no RP is just an ideologue who doesn't want to listen to data, just look at how he gets repeatedly schooled by Ben Bernanke, the Fed, and the CBO continually. His free market thing holds no water considering that when the US stopped helping industries with cheap land and building grants those industries disappeared, namely most manufacturing jobs since the 70's. What industry has flourished? The banking sector, defense, and pharmaceutical industries, who are majorly subsidized by the government through research grants, educational institutions that get money through grants in these areas, and just pure American protectionism (such as when the government protects Phizer et al from generic makers in India and such) which began in the 70's, when factories were no longer the new hotness. Ron Paul is just an ideologue that is turning his head away from actual data to please his buddies like the CATO institute.

Edited by cindersphere, 17 September 2011 - 10:26 AM.

Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#23 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

This is a joke right Cindersphere? The Federal Reserve is one of the most despicable organizations there is, as well as these other central banking institutions. For one, it's not a government organization and yet they print our money. I might note that the constitution gives our government the right to print it's own, at no interest and private profit, unlike the Fed. Is it any coincidence the same organization that is in charge of preventing counterfeit is also the same that guards the President. You might consider that both Lincoln and JFK authorized the printing of "Greenbacks" at one time, money printed by the government and not the Federal Reserve.
Let's also not forget that while you're not suppose to be taxed on income from your day's LABOR(only if you're a naturalized American citizen) but if you refuse the Fed, i.e. "The IRS" will put you in your place and you'll have to fight them kicking and screaming. I don't think it's asking for much they DON'T pay income on their labor considering that the income tax law never mentions it. They've just managed to con people into thinking this.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#24 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

This is a joke right Cindersphere? The Federal Reserve is one of the most despicable organizations there is, as well as these other central banking institutions. For one, it's not a government organization and yet they print our money. I might note that the constitution gives our government the right to print it's own, at no interest and private profit, unlike the Fed. Is it any coincidence the same organization that is in charge of preventing counterfeit is also the same that guards the President. You might consider that both Lincoln and JFK authorized the printing of "Greenbacks" at one time, money printed by the government and not the Federal Reserve.
Let's also not forget that while you're not suppose to be taxed on income from your day's LABOR(only if you're a naturalized American citizen) but if you refuse the Fed, i.e. "The IRS" will put you in your place and you'll have to fight them kicking and screaming. I don't think it's asking for much they DON'T pay income on their labor considering that the income tax law never mentions it. They've just managed to con people into thinking this.

Your entire post is just stolen from Zeitgeist. But moving on Fed is not a despicable organization (though it is unpopular with Austrian economists and conspiracy lovers). In fact it is the reason banks that were around when you were born are still around today. You might want to take a good hard look at the 1830-1860's banking world before you jump down their throat. Remember those days? When each bank issued their own currency/notes, average lifespan of banks were 5 years or less? But ummm, just delete the fed and bernanke if you want, CBO criticisms still remain.

No idea why you even mentioned taxes.... oh wait, that right, that was how Zeitgeist presented those ideas in the movie. Man you Zeitgeister's make me chuckle.

Edited by cindersphere, 17 September 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#25 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Honesty is the only thing you look for in a President?

I'm not saying Ron Paul is honest, I'm saying you have a pretty dopey way of evaluating the field.

I didnt say that. What I meant is I believe he is the only honest candidate. He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business) And of course I agree with him on some major issues like ending the fed and these bullshit wars.

You entire situation is just a micro scale policy of mutually assured destruction

I don't agree with that at all. What would you suggest? Should we keep on as now and have the whole world hate us more and more by the day? That is what will assure our destruction imo. The reality whether anybody likes it or not is that they dont hate us for our freedom or some other made up bullshit. They hate us because we're assholes.

Edited by ShockandAww, 17 September 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#26 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

I don't agree with that at all. What would you suggest? Should we keep on as now and have the whole world hate us more and more by the day? That is what will assure our destruction imo. The reality whether anybody likes it or not is that they dont hate us for our freedom or some other made up bullshit. They hate us because we're assholes.

You forget the good the US does in the world. It is easy for you and the rest of the world to ignore it because it has been status quo for so many years, but we contribute a lot to the world. The world loves to tear us apart when we do something wrong, but ignore our consistant contributions to the world.

#27 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

You forget the good the US does in the world. It is easy for you and the rest of the world to ignore it because it has been status quo for so many years, but we contribute a lot to the world. The world loves to tear us apart when we do something wrong, but ignore our consistant contributions to the world.

That's great but if I kill your dog and then give you a dollar it's not really going to make anything better is it.

Really I think they're two separate things. We can help out and that's great (as long as the help is asked for/wanted) but when we also invade countries on bs premises and do all this other sick shit it just doesn't endear us to anyone no matter what else we may have done elsewhere to help.

And I'm not really political so if I ignored anything anyone says I probably just didnt have a clue what you were saying lol. I'm just giving my opinion on right and wrong basically.

#28 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business)

What makes you think Ron Paul would be against anything big business does?

#29 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

I've never considered Ron Paul to be part of the anti-war movement. Voting and giving occasional talks is the bare minimum one can do. Thats roughly what I DO and I'm not part of the movement.

The first half of the last decade especially, people were being branded as unAmerican/traitorous and getting arrested at rallies. Actual war veterans in office were getting horrendous ads run against them by the GOP that made them look the same. Meanwhile, the very same party leaves Paul completely alone. Doesnt even get primaried during the height of the madness. Where was Paul during all this? He couldve actually stuck his neck out instead of being a coward.

#30 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

I didnt say that. What I meant is I believe he is the only honest candidate. He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business) And of course I agree with him on some major issues like ending the fed and these bullshit wars.

Laughable. While Ron is anti-government (and I don't mean that as a compliment), he is for the corporation over everything else.

Newsflash: every politician who ever lived says he is for the people. Look at who his policies enrich, then you'll know his true character.