CAGcast #259: Buddhists Do It Cheaper

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Shipwreck steals Skylanders from Wombat, Cheapy explains why his son is a Buddhist, and Wombat puts an embargo on embargoes.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 89 minutes, 54MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast: FREE AUDIBLE 2 WEEK TRIAL & AUDIOBOOK
http://www.netxtrack...ADID=476689

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro: Scarface Intro Theme - Outro: Silver Spoons Theme
Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Posted Image
October Birthday Celebration at School by CheapyD, on Flickr

#2 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:40 AM

Early release? Nice.

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#3 Chadfx

Chadfx

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

wow premature cagcast? maybe?
------------------------------------------------
Almost no one uses their real age on the Internet.

The Internet: Where men are boys, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents

Watch me broadcast at justin.tv/oxd9

#4 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:11 AM

nice will DL for bedtime listening
rock on
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#5 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

Well as you can probably guess from my avatar I am a Buddhist. Unfortunately Buddhism is classified as a religion even though there is no deity to worship. "Buddha" is actually a title given to a person who attains enlightenment/reaches Nirvana. More of a philosophy than anything.

Anyway.............glad to see Ship likes Skylanders. My kids are bananas for it. 12 days later and they are still hooked on it like plastic crack. Like you said Cheapy, it's brilliant. 13 skylanders and counting...

#6 COULD432

COULD432

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

Long time lurker/listener first time poster.

Just wanted to point out that the bf3 server problems are vastly overstated. The servers were down for an hour launch day, but, other than that I have not had any problems. A couple of times i had to click on multiplayer twice, but that is the extent of the issues i have had. Have not had any noticable lag either.

Also, cheapy, i felt pretty lukewarm on the demo, too, but I like the full game much more. The combat has been rebalanced to make the damage enemies take greater (around bc2 levels). Also, the map on the beta is, I think, by far the weakest one in the game.

As for the single player, i am sure I would like it even less than Shipwreck. Fortunately, I fall into the camp that could not care less about it.

#7 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

First major iteration that seems to bring little new to the table is what I thought about BF3.

That and like all BF games it will take time to squash the bugs and refine the balance. No hurry anymore to purchase it.

Was looking forward to this game the most too.

But I will buy it eventually.

#8 Decepticreep

Decepticreep

Rule of Acquis. 16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

Last week, my 15 month old had a fever of 105 brought on by an urinary tract infection. She was so sick that she couldn't eat or drink. Whatever she injested, she threw up, so I had to give her a tylenol suppository. It's not fun, but you do what you have to to make your child feel a little bit better.

#9 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

House of Dead sucks. Long boring camera sweeps. Stale gameplay. Mediocre boss fights. Too much time was spent on cursing as many times as possible. Uninteresting.

#10 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

NERD FACT!!!!!!!!!!! theres no mre vibranium in wakanda tchalla destroyed it to keep doom from taking over so the only stuff left is savage land vibranium. btw black panther is one of the top 10 smartest people in the marvel universe and hes now doing the hero thing in hells kitchen.

and for shipwreck theres also a white panther , just found out about him recently, who was adopted into the family and as luck should have it hes white.

arkham city is awesome kind lame ending but the fun was in the journey not to mention being able to do a replay in the batman beyond costume.

NEW NERD FACT!!!!!!! ow that i think about it technically hes not the black panther anymore his sister suri took over the mantle and the mystical panther powers and i believe shes running the kingdom and thcalla is more like bruce wayne now since hes now only using his physical skils and tech knowledge. and i think wakanda is struggling now that they no longer have vibranium so use for money. theyre not poor but they are hurting.

#11 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

75% of the Nintendo loss was due to currency conversion. And it was an unrealized loss. They had to write down the value of their foreign currency holdings due to the strong Yen. That doesn't mean they actually converted that currency to Yen.

Nintendo holds $14 billion in cash and short term investments and has no debt in case you wanted to know.

Reception of the new systems all depend on the games as always. If the 3ds doesn't get a good shot in the arm during the next 5 months after a bunch of high profile 3ds games come out then it is plan B for Nintendo's handheld strategy.

Edited by trip1eX, 28 October 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#12 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

The Spyro thing is marketing genius. Wal-Mart bought a lot of the game bundles to, we had a PDQ (usually 40+ copies) for every store, so between the game and figures they are raking in some nice money.

BTW Shipwreck had me on the floor laughing with his comments about the whole situation.

#13 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

What is going on with Itunes? I see it on the list but this episode won't download

I see the issue. The date listed in 12/31/00. If you have multiple CAGcasts downloaded it's way in the back

#14 Mayday

Mayday

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Your discussion on Buddhism infuriated me to the point I actually had to switch the show of. I've been studying eastern religion and practising Zen Buddhism for about ten years and not only has it changed my life, it's transformed me into a better person. It gave me a better perception on life and the people around me. After my two year retreat in Sōtō I returned to the UK a new person. If you're going to ridicule something, do it with reason not just because it's different and foreign to you.

Edited by Mayday, 28 October 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#15 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

I saw those spyro toys/game at Best Buy and they looked kind of cool and was wondering how fast they would be on clearance. Seems like they are going to be hot sellers from the sounds of things, but I'll still keep an eye on them.

As for embargos at events, without them it is possible that a developer will let a larger company announce something, let's say at E3, and state this feature will be included with the game disc. You and everyone else at the event tweet it to their fanbase, and then later when it is not on the disc, the developer says you get the DLC a week early instead of the included feature we said would be there those months ago, isn't that a great deal!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#16 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

DEPOSITORIES!!!! For the win! funny stuff.
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#17 Dr Killotron

Dr Killotron

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

A big thank you goes out to Shipwreck for making this an extra special edition podcast as I search for his audible sighs at Wombats bad jokes. First one at minute 46 (or just a few seconds before).

Cheapy: “Sounds like it’s made for small children”
Ship: “Uh, Possibly. I’m playing it”
Wombat: “youd, da..da’re you go. You… proved your.. ahhh.. your point”

Then… jackpot

#18 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

A big thank you goes out to Shipwreck for making this an extra special edition podcast as I search for his audible sighs at Wombats bad jokes. First one at minute 46 (or just a few seconds before).

Cheapy: “Sounds like it’s made for small children”
Ship: “Uh, Possibly. I’m playing it”
Wombat: “youd, da..da’re you go. You… proved your.. ahhh.. your point”

Then… jackpot

That wasn't a sigh and I didn't make a joke. I think the only thing you proved is that you need to find a new podcast to listen to.

#19 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Sigh.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#20 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

Wombat, thank you for letting me know about the free Pinball FX2 table. Queued!

And OMG, Shipwreck is the latest victim of Skylanders fever! Cheapy's reaction to the deviousness of Skylanders was great, lol.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#21 testudo

testudo

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

With great demonic powers come great responsiblity (see hulu video link below)

http://www.hulu.com/...e-peoples-court

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#22 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Your discussion on Buddhism infuriated me to the point I actually had to switch the show of. I've been studying eastern religion and practising Zen Buddhism for about ten years and not only has it changed my life, it's transformed me into a better person. It gave me a better perception on life and the people around me. After my two year retreat in Sōtō I returned to the UK a new person. If you're going to ridicule something, do it with reason not just because it's different and foreign to you.

For a buddhist, you don't seem very zen. They didn't really ridicule it, and they've made similar comments about other religions (including Judaism) in the past.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#23 testudo

testudo

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Angry Buddhist look out!

Its about the destination not the journey!

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#24 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

I am so glad to hear Shipwreck talk about Skylanders. I am 35 and I got Skylanders for my birthday on the 20th. I have been stoked for this game. My kids love it, I love it and I am 6 years old again. My wife will not let me buy any more figures so she can get me some for Christmas, lol.

Anyway, the reason I play games is to have a good time. Skylanders is a great time (and an easy money sink)

#25 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Can't wait to listen tonight when I'm driving from Columbus to Cleveland!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#26 myopicprophet

myopicprophet

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

"Tits in a wringer" Ha ha ha!

#27 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:35 PM

For a buddhist, you don't seem very zen. They didn't really ridicule it, and they've made similar comments about other religions (including Judaism) in the past.

I was thinking the same thing. The guy needs to practice being zen a little more.

I also don't think they ridiculed it. Cheapy asked the question to Wombat what his mother would think if one of his kids went to a Buddist preschool.

#28 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

I am so glad to hear Shipwreck talk about Skylanders. I am 35 and I got Skylanders for my birthday on the 20th. I have been stoked for this game. My kids love it, I love it and I am 6 years old again. My wife will not let me buy any more figures so she can get me some for Christmas, lol.

Anyway, the reason I play games is to have a good time. Skylanders is a great time (and an easy money sink)

Well, I'm 38 in 8 days and I bought Skylanders for myself!! :)

Hearing Jeff Gertsmann talk about it on Giant Bomb got me interested. I bought the game, 2 adventure packs and 3 individual characters.

#29 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

::golf clap::

#30 chrisswiss83

chrisswiss83

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

So now that we know embargoes are useless, how do we get rid of them? Should the game publishers just give up the entire idea?