Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

• Please log in to reply
3568 replies to this topic

#1 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:21 AM

As the original deal morphed into a game deal and guitar advice thread, I decided to place the original BB deal behind spoiler tags for a reference point. And I listed the current deals below. The guitar purchase is the most difficult part for us beginners, so read the advice in the thread

Too busy to read the entire thread? Then try these following posts for the guitar advice. Thanks to SmileyMcSmiles for all the help :applause:
>>guitar advice, initial posts #26, 34, 35
>>guitar accessories, initial posts #49, 51, 56
>>learn about Rondo Music guitars on post 642
This should help get you started.

ROCKSMITH 2014     -Released 10/22/2013

-available on iconxbox360.gificonps3.gif, iconpcwin.gif & Mac

-available in TWO versions:  Game+Cable edition @ $80, No Cable Edition @ $60

-RS cable from original game WILL work with Rocksmith 2014

-all current DLC IS compatible and WILL work with Rocksmith 2014

-most On-disc songs from original game works with Rocksmith 2014, must buy Import Pack DLC$10

*GAME + CABLE version** 

dead*Amazon:  $40 for  :360: :ps3:  version (as of 6/13)

:360: http://www.cheapassg...th&pid=11840323

:ps3: http://www.cheapassg...th&pid=11840323

dead*Gamestop:  $40 for  :360:  :ps3:  & PC/Mac (as of 6/13)

http://www.cheapassg...u0&pid=11840323

dead*Best Buy in-store & online:  $40 for :360:  :ps3: version & PC/Mac (week of 6/15 - 6/21)

http://www.bestbuy.c...ys&st=rocksmith

**GAME ONLY version** 

dead*Newegg(online):  $15 for download version (72hr special) + save extra 10% with code EMCPDW47 (thanks sp00ge)

http://www.newegg.co...ID=1312731&SID=

dead*Mac Store(online):  $24 for download version, (as of 5/2)

*Newegg(online):  $15 for download version (72hr special) + save extra 10% with code EMCPDW47 (thanks sp00ge)

ROCKSMITH game + cable deals:
**GUITAR + BASS version**     released in 2012     aka the "Double-Dip" version
-out NOW for iconxbox360.gif, iconps3.gif and iconpcwin.gif
-iconpcwin.gif also available in a software only version (aka NO cable) for $49.99, but you still need to have the Real-Tone cable to play

*SAM's Club in-store:  super YMMV  Guitar+Game bundle for $50 (MSRP was 200)iconxbox360.gificonps3.gif

*SAM's Club in-store:  super YMMV  Game+Cable for $5.00

-------------------- --------------------- --------------------
Important Note: a new disc version, which includes bass content, got released on 10/16/2012. Deals below are for the original disc version, which did NOT have bass content. You can buy bass as DLC for this version of the game
-------------------- --------------------- --------------------
**GUITAR ONLY version**     released in 2011     aka the "Original" version
-Available only on iconxbox360.gif and iconps3.gif

-Bass content can be purchase as DLC for $30  $10 thru XBLA or PSN
DEAD*Best Buy online: $8 each, as of 11/1/2013 :hot:

-Ship to Store for Free Shipping.

**RS CABLE ONLY deals**
-Cables retail for $29.99 and work on all versions of the game.
-Deals seem to be non-existant on the cable. Best to track down the old version of the game on clearance somewhere.
-------------------------
Old PC Info

Spoiler

-------------------------
OLD BASS DLC Info
Spoiler

rocksmithtranslogo.png
**thanks to Syngamer for the logo:applause:

Rocksmith DLC List
New DLC out NOW!!!  Only works on RS2014 version.

• The Libertines

-Can't Stand Me Now

-Don't Look Back Into the Sun

-What Katie Did

--------------- ---------------
Full DLC List:
http://rocksmith.ubi...oads/index.aspx
Videos of DLC
http://forums.ubi.co...-*Updated-2-21?
--------------- ---------------
Remember FREE Holiday DLC songs on XBLA & PSN. Thanks to Doctor Who for the DLC find:applause:
DLC link on XBLA: http://marketplace.x...d4-9002b3dc96ac

NOTE:  Holiday songs were pulled (probably because Seth Chapla went to work on Bandfuse).  No confirmation on when or if they'll return.

Electric Guitar Suggestions:

Example of pack-in guitar in the Official RS guitar bundle
http://www.amazon.co...2207032&sr=1-10

Example of Dean Vendetta XMT
http://www.amazon.co...22207724&sr=1-5
Getting harder to find at sub-$100, but guitar center may be best option

Guitars from Rondo Music
http://www.rondomusic.com/
-->refer to post 642 for info on Rondo and the guitars they sell
http://www.cheapassg...0&postcount=642

Xaviere guitars from GuitarFetish
http://www.guitarfetish.com/

Guitars from Monoprice (yeah, thaaat Monoprice)
http://www.monoprice...1&cs_id=1150101

DEAD Deals behind this spoiler

Spoiler

Original DEAL behind this Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by rbarba4, 08 July 2014 - 11:33 PM.
So Rocksmith was like, dude! And I was like, totally!

#2 sageridder

sageridder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

Got a link or scan? Or is this gonna be in the coming Sunday paper? Bought this friday using coupon and getting the gc would lessen the sting of paying so close to retail.

#3 poker360

poker360

The AWD Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

Awww shit.

May have to buy this now.

splintercelll.jpg
Check out the Amazon Warehouse Deals Thread!
fss.png

#4 Buddyroe333

Buddyroe333

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Uggggh... I just bought this a week ago when they were offering a $25 gift card when you bundle it with a guitar from the music center. Does anyone know if their Price Match policy covers Gift Card deals as well?

#5 kouleefoh

kouleefoh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:31 AM

Playing this w my cheap guitar from craigslist. Works just fine.

#6 gsr1379

gsr1379

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

anyone think this would stack with the @gamer $20 off coupon?

$130 would not be a too bad deal

#7 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Got a link or scan? Or is this gonna be in the coming Sunday paper? Bought this friday using coupon and getting the gc would lessen the sting of paying so close to retail.

Did you buy the official guitar kit or was it a package deal put together by Bestbuy? I still haven't seen the official guitar kit in any store. Stores are probably gunshy after the GH/Rb wars

Got the ad in the early Sunday edition. Bestbuy finally updated the site with the offer so put a link on the OP. But still seems like they're taking a standalone Epiphone model off the shelf and bundling it with the Game

Deal is real tempting. This is the only deal I've seen, if you don't already have a guitar. The 50gc is as good as cash to me since I'd convert it to amazon credit.

Plus, the guitar should work with RB3s Pro mode if you have the midi adapter, right?

#8 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Did you buy the official guitar kit or was it a package deal put together by Bestbuy? I still haven't seen the official guitar kit in any store. Stores are probably gunshy after the GH/Rb wars

I saw the bundle in a couple of stores at release, but the sales on it have been pretty strong. I don't think they had them in there the other day.

The guitar WILL NOT work in RB3 pro mode - the RB3 guitar has a whole different set of electronics on it - the fingerboard is plastic with sensors underneath it to "catch" what you're playing. The Rocksmith guitar is a standard Epiphone Les Paul Jr. with a wood fingerboard.

The quality of the bundled guitar is a really good cheap guitar.

I LOVE the game. I've done more on a guitar in a week and a half than I ever learned before. It's a blast to play. There are a bunch of people on the FB page that had never touched a guitar before and are learning using Rocksmith...

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#9 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

The quality of the bundled guitar is a really good cheap guitar.

I LOVE the game. I've done more on a guitar in a week and a half than I ever learned before. It's a blast to play. There are a bunch of people on the FB page that had never touched a guitar before and are learning using Rocksmith...

Yeah, from what I've read the Epiphone seems to be a good entry level guitar and the game is getting mostly positive reviews. Sounds like it's a good experience

Figure to play it in short spurts. Like Play this for an hour then move on to whatever other game I was going to play that day.

#10 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, from what I've read the Epiphone seems to be a good entry level guitar and the game is getting mostly positive reviews. Sounds like it's a good experience

Figure to play it in short spurts. Like Play this for an hour then move on to whatever other game I was going to play that day.

Be aware that this isn't a "game" in a traditional sense. It's more of a guitar trainer. If you don't play (which I have to assume, since you don't own a guitar), it won't be much fun in a traditional gaming sense - an hour a day won't let you pick up much on a guitar. Then again, once you start to play, I'll bet that you won't be able to play for an hour and then shut it off.

Currently Playing:
:360:
Rocksmith 2014, Borderlands 2, Skyrim

#11 aspen1284

aspen1284

You're all right in my book

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Curious also to see if this is the actual Rocksmith bundle, or the game plus a standalone guitar.

#12 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I wouldn't go with the bundle. Check out your local guitar center, sam ash, etc. There is always higher quality guitars on huge clearance. I think you can get away with paying only $25 to $50 more but you will have a way better guitar that you can stick with for a while. Plus they can make sure the guitar doesn't have any defects.

#13 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

Is that a first act Epiphone? Eh.. looks just slightly nicer than the Les Paul Jr. that comes with the game, but still a shitty guitar if you want to actually learn and use the thing outside of the game.

If you already own a guitar I suggest just getting the 80$ version and take 20 off the top with the coupon they're offering. Not a bad deal. If you don't own a guitar head to your local music shop and do some shopping. They have sales all the time.

#14 sageridder

sageridder

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

Got the ad in the early Sunday edition. Bestbuy finally updated the site with the offer so put a link on the OP. But still seems like they're taking a standalone Epiphone model off the shelf and bundling it with the Game

Deal is real tempting. This is the only deal I've seen, if you don't already have a guitar. The 50gc is as good as cash to me since I'd convert it to amazon credit.

Plus, the guitar should work with RB3s Pro mode if you have the midi adapter, right?

It was the official bundle, Those were the only ones in store I went to. Hmm nothing in my paper for best buy, I might have it shipped to store I guess.

#15 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:46 PM

I wouldn't go with the bundle. Check out your local guitar center, sam ash, etc. There is always higher quality guitars on huge clearance. I think you can get away with paying only $25 to $50 more but you will have a way better guitar that you can stick with for a while. Plus they can make sure the guitar doesn't have any defects.

Let's say Rocksmith game only is $70. That means the guitar is $80. Do you think I can get a decent guitar that's better than the bundled one for $80?

I've been meaning to learn to play guitar for like 25 years.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#16 aspen1284

aspen1284

You're all right in my book

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Ha! Same here, just started learning about 6 months ago...and I'm 27! Haven't gotten the game yet but I'm dying to. Wondering though, if I were to use the $20 coupon on the game today...would I still be able to PM the price if it were to go on sale soon? Bot sure whether using to coupon exempts me from that option.

Also, finding a decent guitar for around $80 is tough. I say for people like me (beginner) the bundled guitar is perfect to start with, and if you start to get better...get a better guitar!

#17 wizzyx3

wizzyx3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Just bought two. The employees were clueless about the sale. Manager let me have the official Rocksmith bundle. They rung each one up for $150 and I had to buy two $50 gift card. Manager said I couldn't use the $20 card since Great deal, nonetheless. Thanks OP!

#18 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Man I wish Amazon would pm this. I got too much Amazon credit.

Wizzy- what did you say to the manager? Did they try to give you the old "it's online only" deflection?

Edited by confoosious, 06 November 2011 - 10:56 PM.

#19 wizzyx3

wizzyx3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Yes, they did. They said we don't price match online deals. I asked to see the manager and he gave me the discount since I showed him the link from OP.

#20 rbarba4

rbarba4

I'm THAT Guy...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

Well, I went down to ask about the deal. If they know what they're doing then you're getting an in-store bundle, NOT the official Rocksmith guitar bundle. Guitar is the same model but comes in a Cherryburst finish. You miss out on getting a strap and picks.

The game dept workers didn't know about the deal and sent me over to the musical instrument dept.

Couldn't get any other 10% coupons or offers to stack on top of the deal.

Let's say Rocksmith game only is $70. That means the guitar is $80. Do you think I can get a decent guitar that's better than the bundled one for $80?

Also, finding a decent guitar for around $80 is tough. I say for people like me (beginner) the bundled guitar is perfect to start with, and if you start to get better...get a better guitar!

This seems to be the best way for a beginner to get in on the deal. But for those saying there are better guitars for a close enough price, help a fellow CAG out with some models that are good entry level models

Just bought two. The employees were clueless about the sale. Manager let me have the official Rocksmith bundle. They rung each one up for $150 and I had to buy two $50 gift card. Manager said I couldn't use the $20 card since Great deal, nonetheless. Thanks OP!

Pretty sweet. My clueless employees just sent me over to the music dept. But they knew what was up. Wondering if the guitar bundle you got also had the in-game exclusives of "3 effects pedals & unique Gibson guitar".

Edited by rbarba4, 07 November 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#21 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

sweet deal but I have 5 other games preordered at Best Buy I'm getting this month. aarggh!

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#22 wizzyx3

wizzyx3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

The bundle I bought was an exclusive Best Buy Edition so it comes with some exclusives in game. At first, there were 4 bundles for each system. After talking/wating for manager, there was only 1 for PS3 and 3 Xbox left . Seems like they are selling pretty well; Considering the bundle is sold out everywhere else.

#23 cobaltD

cobaltD

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

This game is killer. Rockband will definitely be copying these guys with a realtone cable knockoff I bet. I was a little bummed at first with this game because it wasn't picking up the right notes I was playing. I simply fixed my intonation and I was good to go. And by the way, I had no idea what the hell intonation was until I got this game, and I've played guitar on and off for about 15 years lol. This is a good deal too by the way.

#24 Donnums

Donnums

Great Scott!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

I used to work at GuitarCenter in the wherehouse. It'll be tough finding a guitar for 70$ like the LP Jr. Either way you're getting a low quality guitar but you can always try to get something like an Ibanez RG120 which ran between $120 and $150. There's a few cheap Strats for about a $100 and of course the cheaper Les Pauls ran around $150 to $200. If this is for those terrible First Act guitars, I'd look elsewhere.

#25 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

I've been meaning to learn to play guitar for like 25 years.

Yo Con! I've been playing guitar for almost the same amount of time you've been wanting to learn it. ;)

This might not be $80, but for $19 more, this is going to be a HELL of a lot better than anything that will come bundled with Rocksmith. It's a new Dean Vendetta (their strat model) XMT. It's received great overall user reviews and the action is pretty low on the fretboard, so it will be easier on your fingers. Dean is an excellent company that producers high quality equipment. This might not be on the same level of quality as their high-profile ML's, Dave Mustaine series, or DIME series Razorbacks, but great nonetheless, especially for the price.

http://www.musicians...ar-with-tremolo

For a little bit more you can check out some of the starter Ibanez models here...

http://www.musicians...c&catId=site1AA

#26 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

Thanks smiley. I'll check it out.

#27 SmileyMcSmiles

SmileyMcSmiles

Coulrophobia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Thanks smiley. I'll check it out.

Yeah, no problems man. Give it a check, there could be an even better deal in there. And remember, it's never too late to learn to play guitar. And once you do, progressing at it gives you the feeling of flying a littler higher each time.

#28 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:53 AM

Yo Con! I've been playing guitar for almost the same amount of time you've been wanting to learn it. ;)

This might not be $80, but for $19 more, this is going to be a HELL of a lot better than anything that will come bundled with Rocksmith. It's a new Dean Vendetta (their strat model) XMT. It's received great overall user reviews and the action is pretty low on the fretboard, so it will be easier on your fingers. Dean is an excellent company that producers high quality equipment. This might not be on the same level of quality as their high-profile ML's, Dave Mustaine series, or DIME series Razorbacks, but great nonetheless, especially for the price.

http://www.musicians...ar-with-tremolo

For a little bit more you can check out some of the starter Ibanez models here...

http://www.musicians...c&catId=site1AA

ohhh that looks like fun :)

#29 psychobuck

psychobuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

hey Smiley, any recommendations on a slightly better guitar? ive never played, been wanting to for a while now. id rather buy something pretty decent that i wont wanna replace in a year if i get good. maybe around $300 range... give or take

#30 drastion

drastion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

SmileyMcSmiles

You wouldnt know of any good sites to get recomendations on guitars?

I have been wanting to play for years. But i have mild cerebral paulsy so my hands dont listen to well. So i dont want to make a big investment and find out i wont be able to play. So this Game/teaching tool looks perfect for me.

I dont know a single thing about guitars. So would just getting the boxed set be good enough. Should i instead go to a store and get the game and pick up a used guitar at a music store/pawn shop?

Always been a dream of mine to play guitar and just got a new job with way better pay do do this with.