Dragon's Crown for PS3 (49.99) and Vita (39.99) - 8/6/2013

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#1 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

Dragon's Crown is due out on 8/6/13 for both PS3 and Vita. It is produced by Vanillaware (will be published by Atlus). It's a 2D arcade/action/RPG game in the style of King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Shadows of Mystara, and Princess Crown. Art directed by one of the same people who worked on the fantastic Princess Crown for the Sega Saturn.

Official website: http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

Official Trailer E3 2011:

PREORDER BONUS

Preorders for Dragon's Crown from many retailers will include a 64 page artbook titled "Dragon's Crown Artworks". Official retailers listed on the Atlus website include Amazon, Newegg, FRYS, VGP, Gamestop, EB Games, Target, Wal Mart, and Best Buy. Here is information from the Atlus website about this preorder bonus:

Available for a limited time and only for preorders, "Dragon's Crown Artworks," the soft-cover art book, will be 64 pages of full-color drawings from Dragon's Crown. These include intricate drawings of characters in the game, lush environment backgrounds, and descriptions from George Kamitani, the creative mind behind Dragon's Crown. Also included in the art book will be commissioned illustrations of the Dragon's Crown universe from three prominent Japanese video game artists, Akira Yasuda (Akiriman), Kinu Nishimura, and Gouda Cheese (BENGUS). Sure to become a collectible, "Dragon's Crown Artworks" is available only while supplies last.

6zlkcl.jpg

Preorder links:

Amazon (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.96)
Vita (39.96)

Newegg:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Best Buy:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Gamestop (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

Wal Mart (artbook is listed as a preorder bonus on website):

PS3 (49.96)
Vita (39.96)

Target:

PS3 (49.99)
Vita (39.99)

If you've played games like King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, and Shadows of Mystara (all Capcom arcade titles), and liked any of those, you might like Dragon's Crown.

EDIT: Here's a new preview article by Colin Moriority (IGN) published 5/7/13:

http://www.ign.com/a...nd-ps3-deserves

Sorceress video:

Fighter video:

Elf video:

Amazon trailer:

Wizard trailer:

Credit for original Dragon's Crown threads, please check these for other information and discussions! See links for these threads below:

8bitArtist: http://www.cheapassg...=dragon's crown

Kenshindono: http://www.cheapassg...=Dragon's Crown

TheGreatWang: http://www.cheapassg...=Dragon's Crown

Edited by chimpmeister, 30 July 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#2 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

http://www.cheapassg...=dragon's crown

EightBitArtist.png

#3 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

http://www.cheapassg...=dragon's crown

Sorry, I didn't see your original thread (last post was 6/9/11). I should have searched first . . . DOH! I just never saw any information about this game in the forums. My mistake.

Edited by chimpmeister, 09 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#4 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Gotta admit, the character designs completely turn me off...tired of developers going after the T&A market. *PASS*.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#5 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Err, maybe it's just me but I saw it as stylized art a la Frank Frazetta. Pretty fitting and one of the main draws for me.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#6 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Sorry just found another thread on this posted by Kenshindono in October 2011:

http://www.cheapassg...=Dragon's Crown

Edit: and another one, by TheGreatWang!

http://www.cheapassg...=Dragon's Crown

Next time I'll actually search first before posting a new thread, and just bump the existing thread(s). :lol:

#7 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

The art is basically Vanillaware's signature style. It is the same as GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere.

fs_overall.png

#8 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Uh, did I miss the memo somewhere that this was canceled? Just got a notice from Amazon that it will not be released by the supplier on the expected date and it has been removed from my order. If this is some bullshit move by them to relist it at a higher price, there will be blood.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#9 vessey632

vessey632

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

Uh, did I miss the memo somewhere that this was canceled? Just got a notice from Amazon that it will not be released by the supplier on the expected date and it has been removed from my order. If this is some bullshit move by them to relist it at a higher price, there will be blood.

Same here, and yes that will be total garbage if that's what Amazon is up to.

Posted Image

#10 Potatoeman

Potatoeman

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

From what I heard it was pushed back to June, but who knows :/

#11 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Not canceled so far, but apparently Vanillaware has been having some problems. The NA Grand Knights History was pushed back from March to TBA because Xseed had trouble getting them to work on it.

Edit: Read it got delayed from April 2012 to "TBA 2012." Vanillaware is really fucking shit up lately...

Edited by Dead of Knight, 28 March 2012 - 11:34 PM.

RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#12 djricekcn

djricekcn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

i better be locked on 29.99 when they release it back up

and the game isn't cancelled per a tweet from one guy at vanillaware

#13 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

Not canceled so far, but apparently Vanillaware has been having some problems. The NA Grand Knights History was pushed back from March to TBA because Xseed had trouble getting them to work on it.

Edit: Read it got delayed from April 2012 to "TBA 2012." Vanillaware is really fucking shit up lately...

Seriously...the only game from that original pre-order for me still going is Gungnir, now that DC orders have been cancelled and Grand Knights History is now TBD.

Someone mentioned Vanillaware needs to ramp up some staff to get their localizations done and their product out of the door (especially their PSP game) if they wait too long people are going to forget or not care or run into competition from Atlus or umm...Atlus. :lol:

When I opened the email I seriously thought they cancelled GKH, until I saw it was DC, I was like wtf is this all about, the game looks awesome they just need to get it out, and the $30 price tag would have made mad sales for those interested. We just need for them to get it out now...
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#14 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

The thing is, these games, especially Dragon's Crown, aren't super fucking epic RPGs that need a ton of translation work.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#15 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

The thing is, these games, especially Dragon's Crown, aren't super fucking epic RPGs that need a ton of translation work.

Well I'd disagree with GKH (see the Youtube vids of it in action, lotsa text in there, sadly some of it is already translated though =p ) but I agree with DC, but on the flip side even the stills the game is very pretty, so that kind of work must take some man hours to get done (see comment below).

I think if Vanillaware had more than 5 Japanese guys coding in the back of a Ramen shop they could get more done. ;)

Either that or they should look into partnerships with local translation companies and license those out to western publishing houses.

I like Xseed and all, but they need to grow too since they seem to be biting off more than they can chew here recently as well.

Hopefully around E3 these two games finally get some love and more importantly release dates. :D
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#16 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 AM

Just got an email from Fatlus.... They are the new publishers and it's now being released in 2013.
http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

lolololol
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#17 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Just got an email from Fatlus.... They are the new publishers and it's now being released in 2013.
http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/

lolololol

They also said they couldn't support an MSRP of $29.99.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#18 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

They also said they couldn't support an MSRP of $29.99.

Yeah, that's a curios bit... is it because of Atlus or because it really isn't feasible?:-k Then again, where did that $30 price tag come from?

Either way, a lot of people are now going to be pissed because of the price...

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#19 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, that's a curios bit... is it because of Atlus or because it really isn't feasible?:-k Then again, where did that $30 price tag come from?

Well, maybe the pissed people can use the extra 6 months to save an extra $10-20...I'm just pleased this game is still coming. It sounds to me like Ignition had literally no idea what they were doing - throwing out a price point and release date so early in the development of the game that it had no basis in reality.
\\:D/

#20 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

i doubt itll launch at $60 but who knows. all i know is i want muramasa and odin sphere HD on the psn and itll prob never happen. if the launch price point is $40, ill buy it day 1.

EightBitArtist.png

#21 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

PSN or disc version being released? $30 seems like a low price for a PS3 disc copy. I can understand a physical copy on the Vita at that price. Looks fun, giggle physics seem like overkill.

#22 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well, $30 was worth it to me but if it launches any higher they will have to wait to get my money.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#23 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

$30 was Ignition being retarded. There's a reason why they're gone.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#24 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

These are the specifics of what they said about it:

When we took over the reins, we realized that a lot of the information made available to the public was ambitious and unfounded conjecture. The release timing, the pricing, and many of the features detailed for fans and members of the press were simply unknowable at the time they were disseminated (and frankly we were quite shocked to find out that many of the details were made public unbeknownst to even the developers).

It’s still way too early in development to be talking about specifics, but we can say that the game simply cannot retail for $29.99. We don’t know where that price point came from, but it is a logistical impossibility. We’re all gamers and we all wished it could be so, but it would have essentially destroyed any chance for profitability.

Atlus is a good business, so they have a good idea about how much money it'll cost them to get it finished, produced, and sold at the price they're looking at. It's best for them to settle the price issue now so people can get upset now and be over it by the time it's out.

It would be nice if they could do a $40/$40 split with a bundle deal for $60 for those that want it, though I'm not sure this is the kind of game I'd really want on two platforms.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#25 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hah, that quote is pretty much exactly saying my post. Ignition never had any idea what the Fuck they were doing, and that's why they're gone.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#26 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Amazon has the listing up.

PS3 is $49.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V9QKH0/

Vita is $39.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VJ06Q6/

#27 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Lol no.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#28 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

Lol no.

Yeah, hopefully more is revealed about the game and it has more robust features to make it worth the increased price. As it was it seemed only a little more than DLC level.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#29 8bitArtist

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

they really need to just make this a modern day Guardian Heroes. id pay $50 for that. best game on the saturn

EightBitArtist.png

#30 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

hmm missed this thread, but I had it preordered for 28.xx from my goldbox and it was cancelled. Now I know why. I had a feeling it was going to be delayed just because the website for it was so bad.