Photo
- - - - -

Skylanders $50, Buy 1, Get 1 40% Off 3DS/DS Games, 20% Off New Releases - Amazon DotW

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:26 AM

Amazon Deals of the Week:

Posted Image Skylanders Starter Pack $49.99
:3ds: Buy 1, Get 1 40% Select 3DS & DS Games
Posted Image 20% Off Select New Releases (WWE 12 $47 + $10 credit)

Edited by CheapyD, 21 November 2011 - 03:32 AM.

#2 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

One item off the list for BF.

Thanks OP!

#3 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

So tempting for me. The one thing that kills it for me is all the add ons you have to buy.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#4 Dorkus06

Dorkus06

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

My 5 year old son has been wanting this.... been on the fence about it myself. Not sure if its worth it or just to gimmicky...

#5 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:41 PM

Skylanders is straight up awesome.

#6 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Shinobi and Ace Combat tempt me but something tells me I should wait.

#7 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

So tempting for me. The one thing that kills it for me is all the add ons you have to buy.

The game's entire existence it built around getting the player to purchase more figurines, so just be fully aware of this before getting it for yourself or--more importantly--a child.

#8 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Can the figures store multiple profiles? I have two kids. If they use the same figure, will it track two separate proressions or will it just have one that they both share?

#9 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

I know a lot of people hate on Skylanders but theyre pretty cool if you have kids (I imagine).

Toys R Us has a sale on the single character packs today also. 2 for $10. They're normally $8 each so not bad. They also have the $50 deal on the starter packs. So basically for the normal price of $70 you can get 4 free characters. Not a bad deal.

And stryffe I dont know but I doubt it.

Edited by ShockandAww, 20 November 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#10 Darthstryk3R

Darthstryk3R

Sith Happens!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

I think sky landers is an excellent gift idea. Make nice and easy to get more figures for stocking stuffers or cheap gift ideas for others.

#11 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

I know a lot of people hate on Skylanders but theyre pretty cool if you have kids.

I've heard/read nothing but love for Skylanders; but it's also supposed to be expertly designed to intrigue players to buy more figurines, a venture that can add up very quickly. My reason for posting this was more to make parents aware that they'll need to be prepared for purchase requests.

#12 Flame Killa

Flame Killa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

No Mario or Starfox... Why do they even match these deals if they're just gonna half-ass it?

#13 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I've heard/read nothing but love for Skylanders; but it's also supposed to be expertly designed to intrigue players to buy more figurines, a venture that can add up very quickly. My reason for posting this was more to make parents aware that they'll need to be prepared for purchase requests.

The game is definitely kid friendly. It is also very predatory, when it comes to purchases.
Imagine a single level that has one main path, and 3 side quests. You can always complete the main objective, but diverting to any of the side quests will require you to go buy another figurine.

Had they kept the current pricing of $50.00, plus $5.00 figurines (at Toys Rus until Wed), I think it would've been easier to swallow. But at $70, and $8.00 figurines, it's clearly greed on part of the publisher. This is specially true for any and all side quests (including those $20.00 ones), since the areas that are locked do not require you to play with the unlocking skylander. As a matter of fact, you'll find yourself switching back to another skylander to complete these locked areas.

#14 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

Can the figures store multiple profiles? I have two kids. If they use the same figure, will it track two separate proressions or will it just have one that they both share?

No, each character is tied to each player

#15 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

The whole "oh you need them all" has been blown out of proportion

The game has 8 classes, 3 come with the starter set and that leaves 5 more, so if you want to do all the game has to offer (besides special stages you can buy later) all you need is 5 figures.

Considering the price of DLC these days you're only paying 2 or 3 bucks for the figure itself which a lot of people say is worth it because they're pretty cool looking

#16 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

The game has 8 classes, 3 come with the starter set and that leaves 5 more, so if you want to do all the game has to offer (besides special stages you can buy later) all you need is 5 figures.

Oh, now this is interesting--I could swallow buying the game at the current sale price if I only need to buy 5 more characters to see everything the game disc has to offer. Thanks for the info., you've managed to get me interested in this game now... then again, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. LOL.

#17 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Oh, now this is interesting--I could swallow buying the game at the current sale price if I only need to buy 5 more characters to see everything the game disc has to offer. Thanks for the info., you've managed to get me interested in this game now... then again, maybe I shouldn't be thanking you. LOL.

Yes, their are 8 elements in the game (Fire, water, Magic, etc), you only need to buy 5 more figures so you have one of each element (3 elements come included with game). Levels have side paths/quest, that are restricted to a figure of that element. Best thing about the game is it literally takes 2 seconds to change a figure on the fly with the portal.
Posted Image

#18 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

No problem.

The classes/elements are broken down into 8 parts, fire, water, magic, tech, darkness, something else something else ........
The reason there's so many characters is because for each class you have different combat styles, one will be a defensive fire guy while one will be a melee fire guy while one will be a ranged fire guy.

I think the figures are cool and want to play but it's hard to find the specific Skylanders in my area. You can also bring the Skylander online to a website and play mini games to help your character, kinda like Pub Games for Fable.

#19 thegame85

thegame85

Spicy Curry #30

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

You can ALLLMOST get all the figures for around $70 this coming week. There are 8 elemental classes of Skylanders. The starter pack comes with:

Magic
Tech
Water

The legendary 3-pack comes with Earth, Undead, (and another Magic). Another 3 pack comes with the Life, Fire, and (another Tech). So now youre at 9 figures total but 7/8 total elemental classes. This is where I stand, I need an Air Skylander. I'll be picking it up along with another that looks cool for $10 today at Toys R Us.

Hope that makes some sense. Just be warned, buying the figures is addicting..and they're releasing them in waves so not every one is out yet!

Edited by thegame85, 20 November 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#20 bluehat9

bluehat9

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Too bad the DS/3DS selection is so limited. All I wanted was Tetris and Layton.

#21 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

You can ALLLMOST get all the figures for around $70 this coming week. There are 9 elemental classes of Skylanders. The starter pack comes with:

Magic
Tech
Water

The legendary 3-pack comes with Earth, Undead, (and another Magic). Another 3 pack comes with the Life, Fire, and (another Tech). So now youre at 9 figures total but 7/8 total elemental classes. This is where I stand, I need an Air Skylander. I'll be picking it up along with another that looks cool for $10 today at Toys R Us.

Hope that makes some sense. Just be warned, buying the figures is addicting..and they're releasing them in waves so not every one is out yet!

Well there's no deal until BF on the 3-packs; buying the single packs at 2/$10 will cost you $10 more to get the same amount of guys but a) you can pick and choose and get all the types and b) NO CROWDS ON BF. I'm heavily leaning toward that right now.
Posted Image

#22 Dorkus06

Dorkus06

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the starter set at amazon and my wife went to TRU and picked up 2 more for $10. My son is going to be stoked come Christmas morning. :)

#23 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

http://www.cheapassg...log.php?b=22881
Posted Image

#24 Jcaugustine

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Not bad for the Skylanders deal...

Toys R' Us had a slightly better deal just 2 weeks ago.

Basically it was buy a Starter Set get a Legendary Pack free with a $20 gift card, which you can use to buy an Adventure Pack which comes with a free Character Pack.

In other words, for just $69.99 you get:

+ Skylanders Starter Set ($70)
+ Legendary Pack ($20)
+ Adventure Pack ($20)
+ Character Pack ($8)

CaptAmericaEagle16f.gif

#25 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

I price-matched the Target ad at Best Buy to get the exclusive volcanic vault piece.

Well there's no deal until BF on the 3-packs; buying the single packs at 2/$10 will cost you $10 more to get the same amount of guys but a) you can pick and choose and get all the types and b) NO CROWDS ON BF. I'm heavily leaning toward that right now.

I'm hoping to get the pirate and crypt packs online and skip the madness.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#26 shiftymcneely

shiftymcneely

I love my Lions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

You guys sound like super Pokemon nerds. lol

Rating scale ( :cold: :drool: :cry: :applause: :hot:)

:xb1:  Forza Horizon :applause:

:ps4: Shadow of Mordor :applause:  Madden 25 :hot: Destiny :applause:

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8 :hot:

#27 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I price-matched the Target ad at Best Buy to get the exclusive volcanic vault piece.

I price matched Target too but I picked this up day one, good thing I have silver status or it would have been a pain.

I also went to Target and pmed the TRU sale going on right now to get the new figures. I'm debating if I should get the 3DS pack, its a good price but I don't know if its going to drop further.

#28 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

You guys sound like super Pokemon nerds. lol

I was buying a couple figures at TRU today and a kid came up and said "Cool, Pokemon." A few seconds later he realized they were something else.

I also went to Target and pmed the TRU sale going on right now to get the new figures. I'm debating if I should get the 3DS pack, its a good price but I don't know if its going to drop further.

I'd bet they will get cheaper eventually. And since I bought the 3DS pack today, I'll actually guarantee it now. ;)
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#29 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

Not bad for the Skylanders deal...

Toys R' Us had a slightly better deal just 2 weeks ago.

Basically it was buy a Starter Set get a Legendary Pack free with a $20 gift card, which you can use to buy an Adventure Pack which comes with a free Character Pack.

In other words, for just $69.99 you get:

+ Skylanders Starter Set ($70)
+ Legendary Pack ($20)
+ Adventure Pack ($20)
+ Character Pack ($8)

The only problem there is that the legendary pack doubled characters and classes and only one character is in an adventure pack so getting the Amazon deal plus 2 for 10 characters is the better deal if you want to maximize the ability to unlock all of the game.

#30 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

If you are interested in Skylanders in even the slightest sense, I really wouldn't stress over the "need a full set to see the whole game" idea. The starter set has a good range of figures, and the game has a lot of content to see.

The areas that are locked out due to element type are small, they are more like bonus areas. Yes, it is nice to have 1 of each type to open these areas as you progress through the adventure, but it is NOT necessary. Also, you will most likely be replaying these zones so you can always add more Skylanders later to access them.

The game is really a lot of fun and makes for a solid coop experience. The fact that you can buy a new guy who plays completely differently for $8 is awesome, and adds a lot of replay value.

Lastly, I wouldn't stress over owning all the different guys atm. There are still figures that are unreleased, and some of those look much cooler. If you start slow, I think you will feel you get a lot of value out of an individual figure purchase each week or so.