Lord of the Rings: War in the North Snow Troll Figurine - $10 at Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

I was at Best Buy today where the gaming department guys have gotten to know me pretty well and they told me they had these figurines from War in the North for $10. They were from pre-ordering the game, but corporate is allowing them to be sold for $10. I bought one on the spot. It's really nice and I did some looking online and it seems that this was part of the CE for EU and/or AU. It's got some nice weight to it and is nicely detailed.

Here is a picture of it, but it is shown with all the CE content, can't seem to find an image of just the troll. The base and troll are detachable, and there is a hole in the trolls right foot that fits onto a metal peg. So you can choose to use the base or not, up to you. The hammer is a softer plastic then the rest of it, and is not attached to the trolls hand, so it won't break easily, which is nice. Overall I really like it, especially for $10.

Spoiler

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#2 Boosted

Boosted

Trophy Huntin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Those have been available since the launch day at my best buy. Not really a deal per se either.

#3 DonWii

DonWii

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

Saw it. Bought it. Regretted it. Returned it.

Edited by DonWii, 05 December 2011 - 04:31 AM.

#4 grizbo

grizbo

where were we

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

They have one opened at my Best Buy, it was on the counter at the register in the games area a week or two ago. I picked it up and took a look at it. Not my cup of tea at $10, but will look out for it once it hits $.01 ;)

#5 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

seen these around, really shitty quality wouldnt suggest this

#6 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

So...everyone here has seen it but didn't post it? Yet, I post it and get mild backlash. Go figure...

This may not be a deal to everyone, more then likely it isn't, because not everyone is into figurines/LotR. But that is a nature of the beast, we share everything so that hopefully everyone finds something that appeals to them.

The quality isn't amazing, it isn't a $50-100 figure marked down to $10, but it is nice. I have a number of CE statues: Halo Reach, Killzone 3, DC Universe Online, Arkham City, inFamous 2, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and a War figure from DarkSiders. I would put this on par with the best of those and all of them but Brotherhood are very nice quality.

Would it be better at a penny price, of course! That isn't up for debate, but for those who are into this kind of stuff I think $10 is a great price to pay.

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#7 hoho-jijo

hoho-jijo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Not my cup of tea but appreciate the post.

#8 Jon Bon

Jon Bon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

So...everyone here has seen it but didn't post it? Yet, I post it and get mild backlash. Go figure...

This may not be a deal to everyone, more then likely it isn't, because not everyone is into figurines/LotR. But that is a nature of the beast, we share everything so that hopefully everyone finds something that appeals to them.

Well I figure that people did not post it because it is not a good deal (suggesting that it is even a deal). Fortunately my girlfriend has not signed up under your logic or we might be seeing purses and shoes listed as "hot deals".

Bart: You are my guest, and I am your host. What is your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Jim: I don't know... play chess... screw...
Bart: Let's play chess.

#9 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Wow, if I saw that for 10 bucks I would buy it in a second, then again I am not sure how big it is but it looks awesome. Good deals like these are always lost on people who are not into them.
Posted Image

#10 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

Well I figure that people did not post it because it is not a good deal (suggesting that it is even a deal). Fortunately my girlfriend has not signed up under your logic or we might be seeing purses and shoes listed as "hot deals".

Pfft, pictures of her in shoes or she doesn't exist.
Posted Image

#11 DanteWarrior

DanteWarrior

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

I liked this figure. Got 2 other day. Not a big LOTR fan, but the figure looks great

#12 AngryNerdJosh

AngryNerdJosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

thanks for the post. $10 for a figure is cheap these days.

#13 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

the paintjob/quality is ymmv, as the 4 left at my store lack any chroma and results in muted grey colors all the way around. it almost looks like a greyscale animation maquette- which i like but others might not.
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#14 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting, if I see it at Best Buy I'll likely pick it up for that price.

#15 fmwross2

fmwross2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

My store had a bunch when they were bonuses. I grabbed the game and troll for $45 with an @game coupon, then Ebayed the troll ($26) and the armor/weapon DLC ($6) to make the game less expensive. Got bored of the game quickly and traded it in for a positive gain rental.

It has nothing at all on Skyrim.

#16 sayu

sayu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Thanks OP. I'll keep a look out and hope they clearance these. They are going for over $20 on ebay, so I'd say this is deal.

#17 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

My store had a bunch when they were bonuses. I grabbed the game and troll for $45 with an @game coupon, then Ebayed the troll ($26) and the armor/weapon DLC ($6) to make the game less expensive. Got bored of the game quickly and traded it in for a positive gain rental.

It has nothing at all on Skyrim.

Yeah I heard the game was horrid, but I don't care if I see the figure I'll get it.

#18 Kerig

Kerig

Brown Thursday = $149 Zelda 3DSXL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Troll thread is obvious :)

:3ds: 1607-3007-9618

cag%20kerig.png

#19 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

Thanks op, I have to pick up SR3 tomorrow so im going to see if they have any. Personally I think it's pretty cool looking.

#20 Lonedragon87

Lonedragon87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

i agree its pretty cool not going to buy it but if i had a desk or a spot to display figures without a 4 yr old running around i might have picked it up

#21 admiralvic

admiralvic

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

The quality isn't amazing, it isn't a $50-100 figure marked down to $10, but it is nice. I have a number of CE statues: Halo Reach, Killzone 3, DC Universe Online, Arkham City, inFamous 2, Uncharted 3, Mortal Kombat, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and a War figure from DarkSiders. I would put this on par with the best of those and all of them but Brotherhood are very nice quality.

Would it be better at a penny price, of course! That isn't up for debate, but for those who are into this kind of stuff I think $10 is a great price to pay.

Actually it was posted, but I am not sure where I saw it exactly... anyways they were saying they were FREE (not with game purchase). Basically some were claiming no store wanted them and were giving them away.

so admiralvic is one of 7 people who has platted lost planet 2. and one of 4 people with 100% on spelunker hd. respect him even more

guys, you are talking to admiralvic about trophy acquisition, he is the exception.

#22 htown01

htown01

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up Saix, I'll be sure to look out for it tomorrow when I pickup :360:NFS:Shift 2.

#23 Blumpkin

Blumpkin

Has a bad case of diarrhea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:24 AM

Crap game. Cool figure.

16Z462z.jpg

#24 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

To comment on the game just for the sake of it. I got it when it came out from amazon for $40 and got $20 back, so it was worth the $20 price I paid. But it was rather short, took about a week or MAYBE two to get 1000/1000. It does have a good # of flaws, but it also has a lot of fun aspects, but most certainly could have been better. I guess I would have given it a 7/10.

But, at the same time I actually traded it in for $37.50, essentially making $17.50 on the game and getting everything in it, and that is the first game I have ever traded in that I own that wasn't a flip in over 5 years.

532919.pngsig.gif

My Trade List

#25 DragonSlayerX

DragonSlayerX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

I will definitely check some BestBuys near me tomorrow for this figure. If I had seen these for $10 I would definitely have bought it.

#26 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

I went out to that "private event" tonight...which I just knew was going to be a joke and it was, but anyway, the store I went to had 2 of these left and I grabbed one...$9.99 oddly with no tax.

They had the contents of the Skyrim CE on display there, and this statue is actually heavier than the Skyrim dragon, which while more detailed, is a total piece of plastic-y junk...I'd pay maybe $25 for that thing....maybe.

Thank you again OP for posting, I remember seeing one of these in Best Buy on Black Friday but figuring you had to buy a CE of the game and didn't even bother to inquire. I, for one, do appreciate your post.

#27 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:04 AM

Hahaha i love when posts get deleted.... I guess giving opinions on others bashing this deal and me giving props to the OP was really bad. Oh well just lost more love that is all.

#28 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

snowblind got rushed in the development phase, they couldve done much better with more time

#29 erequena

erequena

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

hanks OP, will try to find one, it looks pretty cool
Posted Image

#30 Sonne

Sonne

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

I was at a BBY in Hanover, MD today and there was an OCEAN of these laying around, in the main entrance, near the cash wrap, and in the gaming area. Limited they are not, but I'm sure someone would want one.