Photo
- - - - -

Free Skyrim or Battlefield 3 with purchase of Linksys router at Newegg.com

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Dude

Lefty Dude

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

If you need a new router, you can pick one of the two routers available. You get free shipping and a choice of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, or Battlefield 3 on your choice of console (PS3, Xbox 360, PC). Here's the link: http://promotions.ne...612/960x256.jpg

#2 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

That's nice for people that still need routers.

I can't think of the last time I've had to provide my own though

#3 IFlyRC80

IFlyRC80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I have the E4200, not the v2. Great router, bought it when it was released. Can have multiple XBOX's on Live at once. Don't have to mess with opening ports or any extra configuration. Just update the firmware immediatly. Handles my 50mbps Internet speed with no slow down. Excellent signal in my 3,500 sq ft walk out basement home with it in one corner of the basement. Good price even without the free game. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to recommend it.

#4 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

Heh, funny that they label it as Sky Rim. :lol:

#5 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Great timing. My router has been giving me issues so I was just looking to buy a new one anyway and I had been holding out on Skyrim waiting for the price to go down. Thanks.

#6 Smokie99

Smokie99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Need a new router but I won't buy from Newegg with their crappy new pricematch/return policy.
Posted Image

#7 dark_inchworm

dark_inchworm

Oyasuminasai

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Need a new router but I won't buy from Newegg with their crappy new pricematch/return policy.

Care to share details? I mean, if not, I'll get off my lazy ass and look into it myself, I guess... :p

This is a neat deal, and I could really use a new router (we're working with an N150.), but I am NOT looking to spend that much right now.

Looking to sell codes for The Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, together or separately. Message me with your offer.

Stream KMFDM's new album KUNST in its entirety here!

#8 fujimitsu

fujimitsu

I came to drink milk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Was interested until I clicked through and saw the routers offered.

SPending more than maybe $75 on a home router is hilarious to me.

DD-wrt and $10 if you don't need wireless N.

#9 BigT

BigT

Hey Zach...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I agree, DD-WRT is very good!

I'm actually still running an old WRT54G2 v1 with DD-WRT micro. It turned a very mediocre router into an amazing one... it is rock stable; my current up time is 121 days (I had to turn it off to move some hardware around)...

The only reason I would like to upgrade is to get gigabit ports...

Also, I noticed that Amazon has a deal where they give you a $10 gift card if you buy an E-series router... for people that don't need the features of the e4200 and who need to pay tax at newegg, that may be a reasonable deal.

#10 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm going to be living in a house with 5 people who might all be on the Internet at once. What should I look for in a router to be able to handle this kind of load? It will include streaming movies and music, PS3 online games, and downloading. Any recommendations?

fs_overall.png

#11 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Wow thats a bit pricey for a router

#12 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Wow thats a bit pricey for a router

because they're high end routers. they're gigabit with dual-band N.

DD-WRT is great for making cheap routers have more functionality. but cheap components are cheap components.

It's like do you buy the Porsche. Or do you supermod your Civic. You can put NOS, cold air intakes, turbos, etc. on a Civic and it's a nice Civic but it's still a Civic.

#13 sonicsam

sonicsam

ElectroLife

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm going to be living in a house with 5 people who might all be on the Internet at once. What should I look for in a router to be able to handle this kind of load? It will include streaming movies and music, PS3 online games, and downloading. Any recommendations?

I second this. I've been running into problems ever since i upgraded my shitty 1.0 connection to a 6.0 simply because my router is messing up when so many people (5 people) use it and it's failing at being able to not cut out due to incoming phone calls (tried everything, the problem is the router nothing else externally) I was about to say, "wow pricey but okay if i must.." but if someone has a suggestion that would work good with AT&T any help or recommendations are welcome. Uses are for everything lol. PS3/360/PCs/Phones etc.

#14 Ribkage

Ribkage

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Any linksys for ease of use and reliability will do almost garunteed. I got wrt54gs a loooooooooong time ago now and had at any given time 6+ people using it since it was used for one internet connection over 2 households. The range could be better but it did the entire 2200 square feet of my house+ inlaw apartment. Barely worked at my garage which isnt attached to the house... or even really close to it for that matter.

Linksys is just the best for no bs, easy and "just works".

Just update the firmware and your good.
Im not only a cheap ass gamer. Im a cheap ass mutha fucka!

#15 TheRobReport

TheRobReport

Stoned Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

The router can only do so much, you might want to purchase a speed upgrade for that many people using the internet at once.

#16 BigT

BigT

Hey Zach...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:31 PM

In many cases, you'll likely be limited by your internet bandwidth more than your router. Some of the higher end one's have features that prioritize certain packets, which may help... but it won't overcome insufficient bandwidth.

Also, it depends whether you will be using wired or wireless mainly. Overall, probably most of the current generation gigabit/wireless n routers will be fine. From Linksys, the e4200 would work great, but probably the e3200 would be sufficient as well. If you are streaming and transferring stuff locally across your network, gigabit can help this be less painful.

#17 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

I agree, DD-WRT is very good!

I'm actually still running an old WRT54G2 v1 with DD-WRT micro. It turned a very mediocre router into an amazing one... it is rock stable; my current up time is 121 days (I had to turn it off to move some hardware around)...

You probably already know this, but just a word of warning to anyone looking to put DD-WRT on a WRT54G2. The newer versions (1.5) will not be able to be flashed to DD-WRT. A lot of online stores aren't very clear about which version they are selling, but if you are buying it new at this point it's most likely the newer revision.

You'd probably need to go for a used or refurb one to get the older revisions, but even then I'd make sure I was very clear which version you are getting before you buy it if your intentions are to put DD-WRT on it.

#18 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Um those routers are expensive. Terrible deal.

#19 DeathDream

DeathDream

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

I still have the $20 for $40 thing from Google Offers. Sell skyrim for $45 new.

-$65 = $95 router.

They had this offer in December as well but it also had Saints Row 3. I could use a really nice router.

#20 devin305

devin305

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

I second this. I've been running into problems ever since i upgraded my shitty 1.0 connection to a 6.0 simply because my router is messing up when so many people (5 people) use it and it's failing at being able to not cut out due to incoming phone calls (tried everything, the problem is the router nothing else externally) I was about to say, "wow pricey but okay if i must.." but if someone has a suggestion that would work good with AT&T any help or recommendations are welcome. Uses are for everything lol. PS3/360/PCs/Phones etc.

Call AT&T and find out if your modem is also a modem/router. My Comcast modem was also a router. When I used my own wireless router I had similar problems. When the phone would ring my wireless would stop working. We bridged my modem/router combination and the problem went away. They told me that having 2 routers was causing a conflict. Good luck.

#21 alangst

alangst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

I was thinking about upgrading my old wrt54g (I tried a few years ago, but found out I got better coverage with the old router), but I'm curious about the DD-wrt firmware. I'm a bit noobish when comes to routers in general, so can someone point me to DD for Dummiies...lol.

Is this something that I shouldn't mess with if I'm not sure what I'm doing?

#22 alangst

alangst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

Also,...... Do I need to have a linux system? Currently using windows7.

#23 DeathDream

DeathDream

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Also,...... Do I need to have a linux system? Currently using windows7.

Windows is fine. But if you don't know what you're doing, the additional options you are given will make no sense.

#24 dreadful

dreadful

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

If your unsure of what you're doing I would suggest staying away from dd-wrt. Also your OS doesn't matter your router will either come with it pre-loaded or you have to flash your router to install it. If your confident enough to flash your router and want something simpler then dd-wrt you could take a look at tomato, but make sure your router is compatible before you do either. That being said I run dd-wrt on my router and love it.

#25 drock

drock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

I second the Tomato firmware (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) recommendation for something a little simpler than DD-WRT but still easier to use and more powerful than the default Linksys firmware with rock solid stability.

#26 alangst

alangst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

Tomato sounds great, but I have the v5 of wrt54g which i don't think works with tomato.

#27 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

I have the WRT54G for a few years now. Now only wi-fi things can connect to it. The matching adapters i have for PC won't connect USB and a PCI port adapter. Pretty sure that signal kicked the dust and only wi-fi connections work with it now. So I'm pretty much in the market for a router. Everyone I know,knows i need one also.

But yeah this deal sucks. I knew when I checked it out the routers would be marked up to get a triple A game for free like that.

needler420.png

#28 SteveGo

SteveGo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

But yeah this deal sucks. I knew when I checked it out the routers would be marked up to get a triple A game for free like that.

Marked up? This router (e4200) never goes on sale. Try and find it for cheaper than $160. This deal was offered last month also and is still the closest thing there has been to sale on the e4200. The v2 just came out so good luck finding it cheaper for the $200 Newegg is charging.

Do some research before you spout off with nonsense.

#29 BigT

BigT

Hey Zach...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:58 AM

I was thinking about upgrading my old wrt54g (I tried a few years ago, but found out I got better coverage with the old router), but I'm curious about the DD-wrt firmware. I'm a bit noobish when comes to routers in general, so can someone point me to DD for Dummiies...lol.

Is this something that I shouldn't mess with if I'm not sure what I'm doing?

There's a chance to brick your router, but if it's a $20 router... that's not that big of a risk. Also, if you do it correctly, it should go fine.

For the wrt54g, there were many different models. The specific firmware that you can use depends on whether you have 2MB or 4MB of flash rom on your router.

Basically, the following wiki provides instructions:
http://www.dd-wrt.co...ndex.php/WRT54G

Here's a general thread on the forums that gives some tips:
http://www.dd-wrt.co...pic.php?t=51486

You should also search for your particular router model on those forums as well, as most of them have their own threads.

#30 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

For those of you in need of a router, get the Linksys Wireless N and call it a day. My internet is fast as lightning and this router can keep up.

$39.97 and $3 for a 1 year warranty at WalMart. I bought mine instore.
http://walmart.com/i...RT120N/12538152

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png