- - - - -

tsilon.ca - $99 Nintendo 3DS

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm assuming we've heard about tsilon.ca by now. Just wanted to let everyone know that the current perk is a $99 Nintendo 3DS.

http://www.nextgenpl...ntendo-3ds.html

Mid-February the site is giving away a free video game of your choice to every active member, valued up to $60 CAD.

http://www.nextgenpl...o-game-for.html

Awesome!

#2 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

In case you need background on the website, here are some places to check out:

http://forums.redfla...-perks-1118783/

http://neogaf.com/fo...36#post34551936

#3 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

What's the catch?

#4 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've heard of this I think. The catch is you need to go through a fair bit of videogaming marketing to earn levels on your account, and when you hit the top levels you can get some decent coupons an stuff.

So yeah, like all things like this, if you don't have a life/job, it's a great deal. If you have better things to do with your time, it isn't...
Posted Image

#5 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

I just registered a week ago. It's an ARG, so you have to go to the website and solve four puzzles to obtain codes which gets you in the website. Once inside you have to complete video game challenges (actually playing games and taking photos or submitting your achievements over Xbox Live, Steam, etc), or answer video game related trivia.

Took me half an hour to solve all the puzzles and then I spent another half an hour answering video game trivia (which were fun to do).

After that I got invited into the main site where the perks and community forum are. So far the deals I've seen are:

• PlayStation 3D TV for $95
  • $50 gift certificate for CinemaNow
  • $100 off a PS Vita
  • 10% off a pre-order or used game
  • Free Steam code for Renegade Ops
Here's a screenshot of the "perks" section:

Posted Image

#6 adayinthelife

adayinthelife

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Seems incredibly time consuming and confusing. Someone prove me wrong? Please?

#7 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Not sure if anyone else here has registered, but took me an hour to get into the perks section. There are quite a few RFDers and NeoGAFers who got in no problem, maybe ask them? (posted the links above)

#8 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

Here's an image of last perk, the $95 3D PlayStation TV:

Posted Image

#9 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I can confirm that this site is legit; I've personally used the $95 PS Display perk and the $100 off Vita First Edition pre-order perk. It's not that time-consuming, you just answer trivia questions about gaming to gain experience as well as complete challenges that are posted (almost) daily (such as finishing Final Fantasy IV or getting 100% single-player completion in Red Dead Redemption). You can use past achievements/trophies for challenges.
Posted Image

#10 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Seems incredibly time consuming and confusing. Someone prove me wrong? Please?

I just screwed around with it for half an hour and couldn't figure out a single thing I was supposed to do. It really helps that it clearly tells you exactly what it wants... Clicking around and being treated to blank pages and little bits of code that look intentionally broken make everything so obvious...

There are random answers (?) posted on RFD of course, but they don't work. So yeah, I just wasted a half hour of my life. Really, this reeks of pyramid scheme. Give real stuff to the first guys, get them to troll the net bringing in new guys, and then dick the new guys around for a bunch of page hits :drool:
Posted Image

#11 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, some NeoGAFers didn't think it was legit either (at first). But quite a few members have come forward to let the community know what perks they've received.

e.g.
http://www.neogaf.co...85&postcount=40

I'm staying optimistic for now.

#12 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

What actually legitimized it for me was this YouTube video:

That happened last year during the Canadian Video Game Awards (http://www.canadianvideogameawards.com). The award show is put on by Victor Lucas, the Producer of Electric Playground and Reviews on the Run. Probably the most influential gaming media guy in Canada. In order for him to interrupt his own prestigious awards gala (which was attended by the biggest developers in Canada), he certainly must be involved or bought into the idea.

Anyway, I didn't take the website seriously until I watched that video, then I started to wonder.

#13 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

I just screwed around with it for half an hour and couldn't figure out a single thing I was supposed to do. It really helps that it clearly tells you exactly what it wants... Clicking around and being treated to blank pages and little bits of code that look intentionally broken make everything so obvious...

There are random answers (?) posted on RFD of course, but they don't work. So yeah, I just wasted a half hour of my life. Really, this reeks of pyramid scheme. Give real stuff to the first guys, get them to troll the net bringing in new guys, and then dick the new guys around for a bunch of page hits :drool:

Did you actually register an account? The clues don't show up unless you do. There are four riddles to solve, relating to banners 01-04. When you mouse over each banner, the hint appears at the bottom of the screen. The answers change periodically, so if the stuff posted on RFD is old it would no longer be valid.
Posted Image

#14 ragnar14

ragnar14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

Of course... How do you think I entered random answers, and stumbled around their site trying to make sense of it?

Oh, and it seems that the red question is lit up now. Meaning some string of nonsense I copy pasted got me 25% done. They didn't tell me whatever I got right whenever it happened though, it's just lit up now. Meaning you can plug away at it for god knows how long without even knowing if you're done...

Yeah, some NeoGAFers didn't think it was legit either (at first). But quite a few members have come forward to let the community know what perks they've received.

e.g.
http://www.neogaf.co...85&postcount=40

I'm staying optimistic for now.

Yeah, of course they're legit. Pyramid scams need to be or else they don't take off. Don't you remember how many kids got free PSPs from Lockers? This site will probably hit a critical mass once they actually confirm that they're giving away free $60 games. And at that point you'll have to spend ridiculous amounts of hours on them to redeem anything from them.

You don't actually think they're magically giving away stuff for free, do you?
Posted Image

#15 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

And at that point you'll have to spend ridiculous amounts of hours on them to redeem anything from them.

I'm not sure what you mean; what exactly would you be spending all these hours doing? Other than playing games for challenges, of course, which most gamers spend time doing anyway.
Posted Image

#16 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Of course... How do you think I entered random answers, and stumbled around their site trying to make sense of it?

Oh, and it seems that the red question is lit up now. Meaning some string of nonsense I copy pasted got me 25% done. They didn't tell me whatever I got right whenever it happened though, it's just lit up now. Meaning you can plug away at it for god knows how long without even knowing if you're done...

You just have to manually refresh the screen. It shouldn't take too long to solve the riddles.

#17 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'm not sure what you mean; what exactly would you be spending all these hours doing? Other than playing games for challenges, of course, which most gamers spend time doing anyway.

Yeah, I'm actually having a lot of fun answering the trivia questions. Haven't got on to challenges yet, but they're all gaming related, and for games I really enjoy. e.g. right now I see L4D2 and Red Dead Redemption challenges which are two games I'm playing anyway, lol.

How easy is it to submit challenges? Did you get Exp right away?

#18 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

How easy is it to submit challenges? Did you get Exp right away?

I've submitted my challenges as photos, and it's very easy (just paste a link into the photo slot on the challenge tab). It might take a day or so for the challenge to be verified and the XP posted.
Posted Image

#19 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

I've submitted my challenges as photos, and it's very easy (just paste a link into the photo slot on the challenge tab). It might take a day or so for the challenge to be verified and the XP posted.

Ah okay.

LOL, you know what, this reminds me of the Nintendo Power days. Remember how you had to take photos of your high scores and send it in for verification, and then you could get published in the magazine? hahaha, awesome.

#20 Derfel

Derfel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Ah okay.

LOL, you know what, this reminds me of the Nintendo Power days. Remember how you had to take photos of your high scores and send it in for verification, and then you could get published in the magazine? hahaha, awesome.

Heh, the good old days...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

Heh, the good old days...

YES!!!!!!!!! Hahaha, awesome! Yeah, definitely the good old days.

I never once sent in a high score to Nintendo Power but thought about it every single month when I saw the NES Achievers list. In retrospect, it would have been awesome to be immortalized in Nintendo Power like that!

#22 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

Apparently the free video game perk is really happening. Got a strange image emailed to me by one of the founders of this website:

http://www.nextgenpl...-happening.html

#23 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Just a friendly reminder that the $99 3DS deal starts tomorrow, likely at noon PST. :applause:

Posted Image

#24 Bigwig_rah

Bigwig_rah

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

Anyone want to fill us in on how to actually get on there?

#25 TOLeafs

TOLeafs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Anyone want to fill us in on how to actually get on there?

First thing to do is register. (You might have to zoom out to see the registration button).

Then check out the 4 sites. There is a clue on each site. Once you find each clue, type it on the my site and refresh the browser to confirm that it's accepted.

After that you should get in.

For the 3DS perk, you need to be at least level 18 and have to complete one challenge.

#26 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

NeoGAFers confirmed that the free video game perk is real! February 6th!

Posted Image

http://www.neogaf.co...7&postcount=221

#27 snowsquirrel

snowsquirrel

solid squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Here's an idea. Take the hours spent f'n around on this gimmick, and spend them flipping burgers. Take your paycheque and buy three 3ds's, or even better, a buy something desireable.

I spent five minutes on this site, and just about threw out my computer.

~S
* Need a notebook for your project? www.projectnotebookr.com: tasks, notes, timelines, etc.
* The Blog of an Educated Squirrel: comments on gaming, technology, and other general nerdery.

#28 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Here's an idea. Take the hours spent f'n around on this gimmick, and spend them flipping burgers. Take your paycheque and buy three 3ds's, or even better, a buy something desireable.

I spent five minutes on this site, and just about threw out my computer.

~S

I think that's the point, they want to make it challenging for people to get in. It took me half an hour to solve all the puzzles. If you can figure out how to get in there's lots of fun going on with people participating in video game challenges, answering game trivia, and talking amongst the community. Everyone inside is having a blast, really. e.g.

https://p.twimg.com/...A18y_.jpg:large

#29 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

paul hunter, you really come across as a salesman for this site.

#30 paulhunter

paulhunter

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

paul hunter, you really come across as a salesman for this site.

Sorry, not my intent. I just wanted people to be aware of the deal, check it out if you want (or not). I first heard about the site over on RedFlagDeals (long thread here) and just wanted people to know about the $99 3DS deal. If you're not interested, that's fine.