Photo
- - - - -

FF VII Sealed; Black Label - Is it Fake?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hey everybody!

I'm looking for both a price check and the determination of authenticity.

I found a really sweet deal on Final Fantasy VII, the Black Label version, still sealed, for an extremely cheap price.
So I decided to go for it before somebody else did. But I'm new to the "buying new" stuff, so I'm wondering if this is an authentic one or not.

The seller had an extremely high reputation, with zero negatives. And he seems to sell new games all the time; but I have yet to find multiples of any title, signifying that it is authentic.

He has sold, and still has up for auction, a bunch of other games both with and without the "Y" seam. Those with the "Y" seam do not seem to have much of a difference in price versus those without the "Y" seam.

It doesn't appear to have the "Y" Seam folds, but rather shrinkwrapped like I have seen with more modern games.

Here is a picture.
Posted Image

What do you think?
What's it actually worth, and is it a fake? I've seen authentic ones with the "Y" seams go for as high as $1K already.
Did they ever print PS1 games with that type of seal?

If it is authentic, then I just made myself one hell of a deal. But if not, then whoops...

Thanks so much!

#2 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

picture doesnt work

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#3 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

I fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

Now, what do you think, haha?

#4 Untamed Sorrow

Untamed Sorrow

The Maple Kind ??

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Heat Shrink with original security seal...not a fake but not in its original Y wrap.

#5 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Heat Shrink with original security seal...not a fake but not in its original Y wrap.

Does that mean it was just re-sealed?
As in, a store employee likely opened it, and then sent it back to be resealed?

When I worked at GameStop, other employees would do it all the time.
(I didn't agree with it at all)

I'm assuming that would severely hurt the value? What would you ballpark it to be at? Because I paid about $175 for it figuring at the very least I could get like $300; or just hold on to it until the value increases later on down the road.

#6 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Wow, the value hasn't gone up very much. I bought a real sealed one like 6 years ago for $129. The original security seal is still on, but it's not the original shrink wrap, so that's the extent to which it's been "opened".

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#7 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Wow, the value hasn't gone up very much. I bought a real sealed one like 6 years ago for $129. The original security seal is still on, but it's not the original shrink wrap, so that's the extent to which it's been "opened".

Ah I see.
So, I guess the real question here is: Would this be "VGA" grade-quality?
Or does the original "Y" seal plastic matter that much?

#8 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

VG grade would definitely be below than 85, so not worth grading.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#9 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Does that mean it was just re-sealed?
As in, a store employee likely opened it, and then sent it back to be resealed?

When I worked at GameStop, other employees would do it all the time.
(I didn't agree with it at all)

I'm assuming that would severely hurt the value? What would you ballpark it to be at? Because I paid about $175 for it figuring at the very least I could get like $300; or just hold on to it until the value increases later on down the road.

I'm not sure that's it. During the PS1 days, GS would keep new copies of games behind the counter at our local store. Or they'd use the display box from a used copy as a place holder.

And that security seal being there is no indication that it wasn't opened. I've seen/heard of people who keep these security stickers from games/movies/CDs... they can be peeling off without damaging if you're careful. They'd take them off and then stick them in the back of the case, so they could say they're the original owner or something. But that sticker can easily be taken off and reapplied to its original position.

Six years ago meaning... around the time of Advent Children? Prices were sky high just before AC came out. I remember selling my disc only GH copy of FFVII for $85. But prices slowly fell after that boom...

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#10 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Bah.

Well, thanks for all the help guys!

It looks like I didn't quite buy what I had in mind. Oh well, hopefully the value will go up further in a few years down the road.

#11 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

FF VII was sold in stores new without a Y-fold, that is definitely legit as far as I can tell. I remember the copies that my KB Toys had were all heat sealed - a lot of people don't know that FF7 was sold tht way, though, so heat seals are definitely worth less than Y folds. I'd say your game is probably worth $300 - $500. It's a broad range, but at least it gives you some sort of idea as to what you have.

#12 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

on one hand, i wish i never opened my black label ff7 way back when. on the other hand, i played the shit out of it and it's still in good condition and complete, so whatever
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#13 spmahn

spmahn

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

The price for FF7 has dipped huge recently. At it's peak, black label copies were selling for $100+ and GH copies were $40 - $60. Now you can find black labels for less then $30 and GH for less than $20. I think the digital download on PSN hurt the value a lot.

#14 robwhois

robwhois

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

i'm waiting for suikoden 2 to be released on psn hopefully, so I can buy a real copy at a decent price one of these days

#15 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

i'm waiting for suikoden 2 to be released on psn hopefully, so I can buy a real copy at a decent price one of these days

If you just look around it's not too hard to find at a reasonable rate, I got one on half.com for $20 two years ago and then found another in a lot on Cragslist for about $50.

#16 Ownaholic

Ownaholic

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:36 AM

FF VII was sold in stores new without a Y-fold, that is definitely legit as far as I can tell. I remember the copies that my KB Toys had were all heat sealed - a lot of people don't know that FF7 was sold tht way, though, so heat seals are definitely worth less than Y folds. I'd say your game is probably worth $300 - $500. It's a broad range, but at least it gives you some sort of idea as to what you have.

Now that is definitely interesting. I'm glad you posted that, because that was essentially my main concern.

Honestly, my reason for purchasing it is to hold on to it and preserve it over the next few years.
Half out of the curiosity about what the price/rarity will be by then, and half out of my love for the collection.

#17 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

It has to have one of two types of seal to be legit: Y-fold, or a vertical overlap seam. The latter is about 1" wide and runs all the way down the back from the top of the box (where the upc is on the security seal) to the bottom seam. If you don't see this then I'm afraid the original packaging was removed, and at that point there's no way to tell that the security seal wasn't also removed and then later replaced.

#18 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

There are a few issues that I can see.

1: The security seal is kind of bubbled up from what I can see in the pic, especially by where that UPC is on it towards the right half of it. This may mean that, like Vinny said, someone DID have this open at one point and attempted to put the seal back on as best as they could.

2: Most heat sealed games have a pretty uniform seam running along the top of the case. The seal in the picture appears to be angled.

Moreover, what are the spots you highlighted in the picture? Are those cracks in the case? Those may also detract from any collectibility factor, since people always want new/mint games in perfect cases for the sake of their collections.

Also, is that a spot of heavy wear in the upper right corner of the case or is that the heat seal covering the corner?

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#19 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Six years ago meaning... around the time of Advent Children? Prices were sky high just before AC came out. I remember selling my disc only GH copy of FFVII for $85. But prices slowly fell after that boom...

One major reason for prices falling was FFVII coming out on PSN, since a lot of people who were looking for old copies wanted to play the game; they either didn't have theirs anymore or had never played it in the first place. I think that even after AC, DC, and CC, prices still might've stayed high, though not as astronomically high as they were at their peak.

Although, IIRC, the prices never got as high as those for sealed PS1 copies used to, I think the PC version still goes for quite a bit. At one point, Square Enix planned to make it (and FFVIII PC) available on Steam, but it seems there were too many technical issues when it came to that version.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: The Official PAX Prime (and possibly East) 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#20 Emiroo

Emiroo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Speaking as someone who spent the better part of 4 years re-shrink wrapping used games and moves at Blockbuster, I can assure that that copy of FFVII has been re-shrinked. I can spot it a mile away. The corners and seams are a dead givaway. The plastic thinkness is also a good indicator.

Again, that is not a true factory sealed copy. It may not have actually had the seal cracked and been opened, but that's not the factory shrink.

It's still a nice find if you are looking to play an awesome game, but if you are looking for a future collectible resell or a VGA grade, keep looking.
Posted Image

#21 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

It has to have one of two types of seal to be legit: Y-fold, or a vertical overlap seam. The latter is about 1" wide and runs all the way down the back from the top of the box (where the upc is on the security seal) to the bottom seam. If you don't see this then I'm afraid the original packaging was removed, and at that point there's no way to tell that the security seal wasn't also removed and then later replaced.

As far as I remember, the vertical overlap seam was a Nintendo thing, don't quote me on that, though. Many Playstation games were legitimately sold with straight out heal seals that looked like amateur hack jobs. You can find several examples of store bought black label FFVIIs across the web with a similar heat seal to the OP's game. Just after a ten second search: http://www.gamesnipe...-1-ps1-side.jpg and http://www.gamesnipe...black-label.jpg

This wasn't even just FFVII that was sold this way, several games were.

OP: I can't definitively say what you have is a legitimate seal, but I wouldn't buy into all the naysayers. Those security seals weren't exactly easy to remove perfectly - you'd see peeling SOMEWHERE on the security seal from where it was originally peeled off the case. I'm about 90% sure you have a real sealed black label. Also, bubbling was common underneath the security seals, my sealed Persona 2s have bubbling under the seal.

#22 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

I specifically remember buying this game new and the Y folds. almost all first run big budget ps1 releases like that had Y folds. Very hard to duplicate with home equipment.

The feel of running your nails over the ridged tops to peel under and open the y-folds is a distinct memory from the many games I bought in multi-disc cases from that era.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#23 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

The bigger concern is the crack on the case. That will prevent you from getting top dollars

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#24 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

yeah, and i've seen plenty of cracked case, new sealed PS1 games. Those plastic jewel cases are fragile.

This thread reminds me i have a sealed NHL Open Ice by midway i need to sell.

On second thought the heat seals were common too from that era. They just didn't look like the OP's heat seals.

They were more uniform, more on the edge of the case and smaller profile. Either way I don't think the OP's is an original seal.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#25 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Just after a ten second search: http://www.gamesnipe...-1-ps1-side.jpg and http://www.gamesnipe...black-label.jpg

I kinda think those two look very different from one another. The first one looks like uses a thinner grade of shrinkwrap so the seems look tighter. The second's seem (at least on the left side) looks kinda warped/wavey in shape, as if it used thicker shirnkwrap.

I've never personally saw heat-shrunk PS1 games in the wild... only online. I've always theorized that the only reason why many heat-shrinked PS1 games are considered common and genuine new copies was because nobody discussed factory sealed vs resealed games back then... if it was in plastic wrap, we thought it was new. And shrinkwrap machines have been around for long before the "y-fold only" vs "mostly y-fold but some heat-shrinked" argument.

It just doesn't seem very plausible to me, especially since this only existed during the PS1 days and in a seemingly random way since there are games from all over the PS1's life time that you frequently seen heat shrunk copies of. Why don't we see more PS2 or PSP games that are heat-shrinked? A vast majority of them are y-fold sealed and very few using the heat shrunk seals (like some store exclusive versions of games). Hell, the only heat-shrinked PS2 game I think can of is Xenosaga III with the Lenticular cover from Best Buy.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist