Was bored, did mod.

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#1 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Like the title says, was bored, did mod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hate opening that damned system. Those aftermarket shells are so fragile for the Playstation 1 fat. I end up supergluing something EVERY time I open it. Next time (if there is one) I'll prolly end up reinforcing the screw bosses with metal sleeves.

Anywho, thought I'd share. Seemed like the perfect thing to show off on CAG, since it cost me about 3 bucks in LEDs, wire, solder, and glue ;)

Anyone else have quick, cheap-o system mods to show off?

#2 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Nope, I have not, but that is badass man. :D

#3 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks man! I'm feeling inspired to treat some other systems with a little LED love now :)

#4 shinn

shinn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

that is simply spectacular! i love what you did, the only "mod" ive ever done was painting my xbox 360 blue.

#5 M_Carp

M_Carp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Maybe it is just the picture, but I don't see a resistor inline with the LEDs. Shame on you :)

Seriously though - it looks great. Awesome job.

The only mod that I have had time to do recently was cutting down a power base converter to fit a Genesis model 2... so nothing as cool looking as yours.

#6 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

No need for a resistor. 3.3V circuit, wired in parrallel ;)

#7 the.golden.ax

the.golden.ax

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Where did you get the red shell? I was hoping to get one for my PS1 Kiosk, but can only find mini PSone (ePay) and blue (ncsx).

Many Thanks!
AX

#8 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

That is hot :drool:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#9 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Ok your custom art was mehhh but that is nice.

needler420.png

#10 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Where did you get the red shell? I was hoping to get one for my PS1 Kiosk, but can only find mini PSone (ePay) and blue (ncsx).

Many Thanks!
AX

I got it YEARS ago via NCSX. And by years, I mean like 10+. I'm actually considering grabbing one of those remaining blue shell on NCSX now...

#11 limelight022

limelight022

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Anything with extra lights gets an A+ from me. Nice job!

#12 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Cool

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#13 Theenternal

Theenternal

CAG got me pregnant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I use to open the junk graystation for repairs to the misaligned laser assembly and sometimes other mods. One time while readjusting after checking the repair I left it plugged in and learned a painful lesson about electricity.
Posted Image
http://www.grapplemo...yevtakayama.gif

Removed IMG tags due to sig guideline violations.

#14 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Eeeeek! Capacitors are no joke :(

#15 catabarez

catabarez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Keep them coming!
Posted Image

#16 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, will do ;)

I'm working on a Dreamcast that I had in a pinkish-red aftermarket shell (it's uuuuugly). I tinted it with a product that's super popular in the automotive aftermarket world (VHT Nightshades) and am adding a few LED strips. I'm just having a hard time getting them placed so it's a) bright enough to show through the tint, and b) arranging them so that the placement doesn't look clumsy and provide uneven light. I'll post pics soon...

#17 the.golden.ax

the.golden.ax

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Would still love to know where I can buy a red shell. Anyone? I'll probably post it in the WTB section once I've been around here for 30+ days. LOL

Since my basement is home to arcades and kiosks, I'm trying to use clear lit shells and afterglow controllers on everything to give it an arcade feel in the dark. I'd use the NCSX blue if not for the PS2 I have already being clear/blue with blue afterglows.

...if you ever want to sell your red unit ;)

AX

#18 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Grab a red PS2 shell along with the blue PS1 shell. Problem fixed ;)

#19 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

Pretty awesome, I have always been a fan of led mods but don't feel comfortable in my ability to do that without screwing something important up. Looks really cool though and keep up the good work. :)

#20 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Finally found some pics of other systems that I modded over the years. I thought I'd lost them, but I found them in a poorly labeled folder while cleaning up my C drive.

Here's a Gamecube that I modded forever ago. EL wire throughout, one-off clear lid, and blue LED power indicator swap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was a Neo Geo MVS that I consoleafied. It had a translucent black plexi top and I stenciled the Neo Geo logo on the underside and had red EL film that came on with the power switch. You couldn't see the logo (well, barely) until you powered it up. I wish I had a pic of it on. Don't know why the hell I didn't snap a pic of that :(

Posted Image

I think I may have to make another 'Cube with a clear lid. That was fun, and compact lighting just keeps getting smaller and brighter. Using stuff from today as opposed to stuff from 10 years ago would prolly give me a really cool result...

#21 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Did another recently.

Looks like a pretty normal black Dreamcast, right?

Posted Image

Shazam!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Used a crappy old pink shell that is otherwise useless to me, tinted it, added an LED strip, done!

I love these things, plus, they're already wired up for 12V :D

Posted Image

Stole a connector from a busted old SNES and wired it up to the power board connection posts.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This thing actually had some red EL rope in it years ago, hence the old, crusty glue residue :/ Everything seems to be working, now just grab the Dremel and cut the case a bit here and there in order to make room for the new lighting.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is the only pic I have of it when it was still pink (of course I totally neglected to take pics of the damned thing before I tinted it. D'oh!)

Posted Image

You can see the EL rope under the lid even though it's not on. That stuff looks nice, but it's not very bright. It woulda been pretty useless in the case with the dark tint on it. Hell, even the super bright-ass LEDs don't totally fill the case with light.

Anywho, more to come. I think I'm gonna make a one-off housing for an N64. The guts are so tiny and simple for that system. Should be easy to shove it into almost anything ;)

#22 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:46 AM

Thats awesome on the Dreamcasts, how many do you have by chance?

#23 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Right now, I think I have about 5-6 (at least two are completely disassembled). I've got two that I use to actually play games (the yellow and black one above and a normal white one) and a few, like this one, that I just tinker with.

#24 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Nice, I have been looking for one for cheap, made before Oct. 2000 for its....... extra abilities. Do you normally find them at pawn shops or any certain area? Also, if you are interested in trading one made before Oct. 2000 let me know. :)

#25 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

what is so special about the ones before Oct. 2000?
Posted Image

#26 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Well, supposedly they're the only ones that will easily play imports and backups without any hardware mods, but I've heard very mixed opinions about the subject. I.e. I've heard of people with post Oct 2000 machines that will work in that way, and pre-Oct 2000 machines that won't :/

But, it seems that the pre systems are the most likely to allow for this.

The two that I use are launch consoles (one JP, one US), so they are most assuredly pre-Oct 2000 boxes. I'll check the rest. They're all frankestiened to some degree at this point, so I can't rely on the serial numbers. I'll have to check the boards.

#27 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Saves the World!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Now put a Sega Saturn into a toaster. An LED toaster. That seems like a good project, right? >.>..A feasible project, right?....<.<...Put LEDs in a Sega Saturn :D

#28 wiggyx

wiggyx

Dorkity-dork-dork

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

If you seriously want a saturn in a toaster, then I'm your man. Just pick out the roaster model that you're thinking of ;)

#29 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

Or you could put a caming PC into an old NES. I have seen them online but I don't think they were good enough to run games other than from an emulator. As for the October 2000 Dreamcasts I never heard that. I was always told that with most action replays or gamesharks you could play imports. Never bought an import and only one I wanted to was some shooting game on the N64.
Posted Image

#30 Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Saves the World!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

Clearly would need to be a behemoth toaster, probably a 4-slice. Go play god.