Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V3! Summer Sale live from 7/12-7/22. Check OP for tips!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13564 replies to this topic

#1 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

The 2012 Steam Summer Sale is now on! The sale lasts through Sunday, July 22. Highlights include: nine Daily Deals every day, a community choice allowing gamers to vote on an upcoming sale, Flash Sales that last less than a full day, and of course, the usual Publisher Pack deals.

A few tips:
  • Remember, use the Steam group buy & gift request thread for group buys and trading, not this thread.
  • If you're interested in a game that is not a Daily Deal or Flash Deal, try to wait until 7/22 to buy it. Often times games end up being discounted even more as Daily Deals later on during the sale.
  • If a franchise game is featured as a Daily, Flash, or Community deal, click through to see if other games in the franchise are also featured.
  • The Daily Deals on 7/22 will likely consist of previous deals, not new ones.
  • If this is your first Steam Sale, please take a look at BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) for some purchasing strategies.
  • There are new meta-achievements related to Steam Badges and the Summer Sale. To see your badges and achievements go to Steam and click on "Community" -> "View my Profile" -> View X Badges." It is not known at this time if achievements for badges have any practical purpose.
  • During the Summer Sale, the standard components of the OP will be hidden behind a Spoiler tag below.

Daily Deals 7/16

Expired Daily Deals

Spoiler

Community Choice Winners

Expired

Spoiler

Flash Sales

Publisher Packs
  • MumboJumbo Collection - $79.99 $34.99
    Spoiler
  • 2K Collection - $219.92 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • PopCap Complete Pack - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • 1C Collection - $327.62 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Strategy First Collection - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Paradox Collection - $272.72 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Activision Hits Collection - $169.91 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Super id Software Pack - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Bethesda Collection - $179.87 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Star Wars Collection - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Rockstar Hit Collection - $119.96 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Focus Hit Collection - $279.83 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Kalypso Collection - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Ubisoft Collection - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Nordic Hit Collection - $122.27 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Railworks 3 Collection - $239.92 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Cyan Complete Pack - $29.99 $14.99
    Spoiler
  • Square Enix Hit Collection - $237.71 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • Valve Complete Pack - $99.99 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • THQ Collection - $309.85 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • TellTale Collection - $129.94 $49.99
    Spoiler
  • SEGA Hit Collection - $424.57 $49.99
    Spoiler
Other Recommendations
Spoiler

Edited by eastx, 14 July 2012 - 09:24 PM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud Posted Image image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon Posted Image on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic Posted Image on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

-Paul Acevedo

#3 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Expired Sales (2011-onward)

Summer 2011 Sale
Daily Deals
6/30

7/01
Spoiler

7/04
Spoiler

7/07
Spoiler

7/08
Spoiler

7/09
Spoiler

-Paul Acevedo

#4 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Great, a new thread.

Let me be the first to say in this topic, thanks for all the effort that you put into these threads eastx.

#5 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Great, a new thread.

Way to jump the gun earlier. ;)

#6 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Way to jump the gun earlier. ;)

lol, nobody but you saw it. Luckily I was able to delete it.

#7 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Mmmmm that new thread smell

#8 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the support, guys!

Now that we've got a new thread going, I would appreciate it if you guys could add any 2-packs or 4-packs that might be missing from the Group Buy list in the OP. Obviously I mean 2-packs or 4-paks of the same game, not complete packs, etc.

-Paul Acevedo

#9 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Freshly steam-ironed.

#10 houdinilogic

houdinilogic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Smells like home.

#11 ExplodingRat

ExplodingRat

KaaaaBLAM.

• CAGiversary!

Oh my, I almost HAVE to make a post, since it'll be first page!
Posted Image

#12 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Whoah, I was starting to doubt V3 would happen but here it is.

I have to admit I pretty much never looked at the OP in the old threads. Do they actually get updated regularly?

Is there going to be any spots for games currently on sale elsewhere that activate on Steam or is all that just too much of a pain in the ass to keep up with?

#13 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have to admit I pretty much never looked at the OP in the old threads. Do they actually get updated regularly?

Is there going to be any spots for games currently on sale elsewhere that activate on Steam or is all that just too much of a pain in the ass to keep up with?

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot to add something. Just added it!

As for keeping the Op updated, that depends on you guys. Please try to add weekend deals and especially major sales. Daily stuff changes too frequently to keep up with.

-Paul Acevedo

#14 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Whoah, I was starting to doubt V3 would happen but here it is.

Another month and I probably would have started it. Though I would have received a lot of backlash for doing it.

#15 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for your continued support of the Steam-enthralled community here at CAG. I know you've got quite the schedule, so it's definitely appreciated, EastX.

#16 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

expressing my thanks to the risen 2 key guy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 unless

unless

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks again, eastx. These threads are terrific.

#18 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for your hard work, eastx :)

#19 AgentW

AgentW

Ate a sandwich.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

ooooh. pretty.

just a question, has DE:HR missing link DLC been cheaper? or is that the best it's been?

#20 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Nice thread, I wish they'd have a Spring Cleaning sale or something earlier.

#21 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

ooooh. pretty.

just a question, has DE:HR missing link DLC been cheaper? or is that the best it's been?

According to Deals4Downloads it was $3.06 at Gamersgate on 12/22/2011

#22 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Augmented Edition is on sale at Amazon again for $10.19
It activates on Steam
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#23 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

yay second page post! Do they do a Spring sale? I have only been a Steam fanatic for 6 months now.

Edited by sunasun, 27 February 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#24 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nice thread, I wish they'd have a Spring [wallet] Cleaning sale or something earlier.

:cry:
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#25 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hm. New thread smell.

#26 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

So Red Faction Armageddon for $5. Thoughts? I thought the demo was meh, but it's also $5.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#27 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Long live eastx!!!!!!

Long live single digit pages!!!!!!!

Long live steam!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#28 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

So Red Faction Armageddon for $5. Thoughts? I thought the demo was meh, but it's also $5.

I bought it after playing the demo, even if it's just running through underground cities ripping things apart down a long passageway, I think it's a blast and for the price, well worth it. But then maybe I'm a masochist.

#29 jj5206

jj5206

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

new thread! Hopefully this thread sees many great steam deals and assists in the draining of many bank accounts.

#30 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I was hoping they'd put Portal 2 on sale before the coupons expire. Don't think it's gonna happen, oh well.

Back to Deal Graveyard