The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards - Awards Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Welcome to The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards! It's the only awards that recognize the best (and worst) in video game retail, nominated and voted on by the Cheap Ass Gamers, the most knowledgeable video game shoppers in the world. This year, the CAGs voted across 13 different retail related categories and 5 CAG community categories.

Congratulations to BlueLobstah and langjaikenny both of whom have won a $500 Amazon Gift Certificate for participating in the Cheapy Awards voting.

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com
Posted Image

Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com
Posted Image

Best Game Trade-In Program: Amazon.com
Posted Image

CAG Community Award: Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals
Posted Image

Amazon takes home four awards this year, marking the 6th year in a row they've won Best Online Retailer and Best Online Customer Service, and their 3rd consecutive Best Game Trade-in Program win. Tony (Amazon DVG Deals), also picked up the CAG Community Award for his interactions with the CAG collective.

In response to their impressive victories, the Amazon Video Game Team provide a few statements:

"We’d like to thank the CAG community for these distinguished awards. This recognition really means a lot to us since everything we do is focused on providing the best customer experience for gamers. Also, being gamers ourselves (as well as veteran CAG users), this is especially humbling. Thank you again"

The Amazon Trade-in team adds:

"To all the CAG members who voted for Amazon.com as top trade-in program, thank you! We appreciate your feedback and have always taken your concerns seriously. We have a lot of great things planned for this year, so stay tuned!"

And last, but certainly not least, Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals, winner of the CAG Community Award, states:

"Thanks for the phenomenal support this year, I can’t tell you how honored I am to receive the CAG Community award. I’m extremely proud of the tight knit group we have helping shape and drive our business here on CAG and want to personally thank all of you for your constant feedback, suggestions, and evangelism. It is amazing to browse through the internet and find CAGs spreading the word about Amazon Game Downloads. I hope 2012 is shaping up to be as awesome as you all expected, we’ve got a ton more in store for you!

Cheers,
Tony

P.S. The Hamsters send their thanks as well, we gave them all a day off to celebrate."

Best Online Deal: Steam: Holiday Sale

Posted Image

The fourth time is the charm for Steam, as this is the forth year in a row they have been nominated for Best Online Deal and after years of coming up short, Steam finally wins their first-ever Cheapy Award. Congratulations to the folks at Steam/Valve and best of luck in the future.

Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly
Posted Image

In it's 3 years of existence, GameFly wins the Best Used Game Retailer award for the 2nd time. Monthly and sometimes nightly sales which include cheap prices, free shipping and a guarantee of a box and manual helped push GameFly past last year's winner, Amazon Warehouse Deals.

A representative from GameFly addressed their win with this statement:

"GameFly is thrilled to have been recognized as the Best Used Game Retailer from the CAG community for 2011. We strive to deliver the best possible customer experience whether it be in rentals, new game sales, digital game sales/subscription service or used game sales. We hope we continue satisfying our consumers in all service categories in 2012!"

Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy
Posted Image

Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Best Buy: Black Friday Deals
Posted Image

Best Buy was outshined by Kmart last year, but works its way back to the top, picking up it's 5th Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer award. Best Buy also picks up the Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year award for their outstanding Black Friday deals. In addition, Best Buy's Deal of the Day sales managed to finish in 2nd place.

Biggest CAG Shopping News: Nintendo 3DS Price Drop
Posted Image

Nintendo dropping the price of the 3DS just 5 months after release was the biggest shopping news for CAG readers. In order to not upset early adopters "Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors Program" allowed existing 3DS owners to download ten NES games and ten Game Boy Advance games as compensation for paying an $80 premium on their 3DS handhelds. This was such big news it even overshadowed GameStop's Onlive voucher fiasco.

Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award: Enuf
Posted Image

The Deal Buster award was very tight this year, which highlights how important everyone's contributions are to CAG.

Enuf responded to his victory with the following statement:

"I just want to thank the CAG community for all the support & I'll keep trying my best to provide as many deals as possible to save CAGs' money. Thanks again, and I'm glad so many people where able to save money from deals that I found."

Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: Play-Asia.com
Posted Image

This is the 6th year that Play-Asia has taken home a Cheapy award, dominating the competition.

Jan Neuhaeusser, Director, Play-Asia.com responded with the following:

"Gratefully we accept the award for being voted the best Specialty game retailer. Play-Asia.com is constantly seeking out to improve the service, variety, logistics and of course: pricing! We are closing in on our first decade in business this year and we've come a long way. We wouldn't be here without you, our loyal customers – a big Thank You to all our supporters!"

Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer
Posted Image

Yup, CAG rules.

Best Game Value:
Skyrim

Posted Image

In previous years, this category is usually one of the closest races, but the power of (and abundance of content in) Skyrim made this year's contest a landslide victory.

Pete Hines from Bethesda responds:

On behalf of everyone at Bethesda, thanks to the CAG community for awarding us Best Game Value of 2011. We’re pleased folks have enjoyed the game and think it’s the best bang for their buck.

Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com
Posted Image

Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop
Posted Image

Yup, it's the 6th year in a row for GameStop, as the winners of the Worst Online Game Retailer and Worst B&M Game Retailer "awards". It wasn't all doom and gloom for GameStop this year as they were able to snag a nomination for Best Game Trade-In Program.

Most Memorable CAG Villain: Gargus
Posted Image

Super close race for the award I care the least about.

Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG/PS3 Red Faction: Guerrilla Night
Posted Image

As you can deduce from the name, The Red Faction: Guerrilla thread has been around for awhile. In fact, it was nominated for this award last year and lost.

I contacted bmachine to inform him of the win, and he response is below:

"Thanks to everyone who voted for the Red Faction: Guerrilla thread! The game is certainly getting on in years and, while we don't play together as much as we used to, the friendships made on RFG night persevere.

We're grateful to CheapyD for allowing us to use his website to bring like-minded gamers together and for everyone that's ever enjoyed this amazing game with us."

Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight
Posted Image

Congratulations to The Mana Knight, whose blog provides an eye-opening look at what it's like to be a modern-day gamer, among other things.

The Mana Knight provided the following statement:

"I want to thank everyone for reading/looking my blogs ever since they first started on CAG. I enjoy blogging about the random things that go on in my life and look forward to continue doing it for many more years to come. Just keep on reading since you all will see what I do next."

Thanks to all the CAGs who participated in this years voting and nominations for The 9th Annual Cheapy Awards. A special thumbs-up to the award winning retailers who provided us with great deals and service in 2011. See you next year!

Quick rundown of winners:

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com
Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com
Best Online Deal: Steam Holiday Sale
Best Game Trade-in Program: Amazon.com
Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly
Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy
Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Best Buy: Black Friday Sales
Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: Play-Asia.com
Biggest CAG Shopping News: Nintendo 3DS Price Drop
Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer
Best Game Value: Syrim
Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com
Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop
CAG Community Award: Tony, Amazon DVG Deals
CAG Deal Buster: Enuf
Most Memorable CAG Villain: Gargus
Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG/PS3 Red Faction: Guerrilla Night
Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight

Previous winners:
8th Annual Cheapy Awards
7th Annual Cheapy Awards
6th Annual Cheapy Awards
5th Annual Cheapy Awards
4th Annual Cheapy Awards
3rd Annual Cheapy Awards
2nd Annual Cheapy Awards
1st Annual Cheapy Awards

Edited by CheapyD, 06 April 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#2 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Congrats to all winners. Mana Knight killed it.

#3 Mageshadow

Mageshadow

Taking A Deuce..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Gratz

#4 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Hooray for the RFG thread!
Posted Image

#5 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

You need to either kill the trading award or stop nominating your own site for it.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#6 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Amazon Über Alles

Grats to the winners!

CheapyD, When are you going to change the best online retailer to the "Amazon Best Online Retailer award"?
While your at it the best online customer service to the "Amazon Best Online Customer Service award". Next, the worst brick and mortar to the "Gamestop Worst Brick and Mortar award" and finally, the worst online retailer to the "Gamestop Worst Online Retailer award".

I highly doubt any of other companies are going to win the awards while those companies are nominations.

Edited by evildeadjedi, 06 April 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Darklurkr23

Darklurkr23

Contest Win' Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

Ahahah what is this like a 8 lose streak for Gamestop XD

this-looks-like-a-job-for-scorpion-o.gif
This Looks like a Job for........SCORPION!

Amazon Student.   Its free Amazon Prime for 6 months
http://www.amazon.co...ef_type=generic

#8 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

We're trying something new with the MMA thread. Next year, that award will be ours! ;)

#9 Boss

Boss

Bowser the Great

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

Congrats to the winners.

Another case closed.

bossslyfm2.jpg

GameTZ -- TGN -- Ebay

#10 DaddyBoJangles

DaddyBoJangles

A Blue Slime Appears

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Thanks to everyone who voted for my blog, I didn't even realize I was nominated :D
Posted Image

I'm the hero of this story, don't need to be saved

#11 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

Sweet! Don't think I've ever won anything from CAG before. Thanks for running the contest Cheapy! Might be time to finally buy an Xbox. ;)

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#12 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

But... but I had this bit about Metal Gear Solid cutscenes... and about how slow reavers were in Brood War... and that painful text crawl that you got whenever Ramza did his internal monologue thing in Final Fantasy Tactics... and... and...

God fucking dammit, Cheapy.

Posted Image

#13 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

This just tells me the XBLA thread needs something to get over the last few %. Hello 90's animated gifs and scrolling marquees.

Congrats to all the winners. Special congrats to enuf.
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#14 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

Congrats to all the winners :)

You need to either kill the trading award or stop nominating your own site for it.

CheapyD, When are you going to change the best online retailer to the "Amazon Best Online Retailer award"?
While your at it the best online customer service to the "Amazon Best Online Customer Service award". Next, the worst brick and mortar to the "Gamestop Worst Brick and Mortar award" and finally, the worst online retailer to the "Gamestop Worst Online Retailer award".

I highly doubt any of other companies are going to win the awards while those companies are nominations.

How about Lifetime Achievement Awards for certain categories? Perhaps something similar to what Wired did for their Vaporware Awards after Duke Nukem Forever kept winning year after year.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#15 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Sweet! Don't think I've ever won anything from CAG before. Thanks for running the contest Cheapy! Might be time to finally buy an Xbox. ;)

Boo this man!

#16 Newl

Newl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

Congrats to all the winners!

IMO the best deals from last year came from all those various indie bundles... no special category or recognition/acknowledgment for them??
pswii60 pwner - aka Too Many Games, Too Little Time
Posted Image

#17 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Congrats to all the winners :)

How about Lifetime Achievement Awards for certain categories? Perhaps something similar to what Wired did for their Vaporware Awards after Duke Nukem Forever kept winning year after year.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I'm talking about the insanely huge conflict of interest that is letting CAG win its own award. It kind of brings the rest of the awards down because there's no integrity to them. Cheapy needs to rethink some of these awards and add new ones since digital distribution services aren't represented at all.

#18 Majin Stan

Majin Stan

You have a little CAG left on your face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

Grats to Mana Knight and all the other winners!!

#19 mietha

mietha

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

The fact that BB won best B&M retailer only goes to show how piss-poor retail is now. I 1000% disagree with that, btw. I would have voted for fucking Wal-Mart over Best Buy.
Posted Image

#20 mietha

mietha

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm not sure why you're quoting me. I'm talking about the insanely huge conflict of interest that is letting CAG win its own award. It kind of brings the rest of the awards down because there's no integrity to them. Cheapy needs to rethink some of these awards and add new ones since digital distribution services aren't represented at all.

... Steam is on there multiple times... And normally, I would agree with you on the CAG thing, but many people, obviously, legitimately feel that it IS the best place for trading. I am not one of them, but I've actually seen many posts on Goozex about people doing more and more trades here, and less there, so I really don't see why it should be excluded when it is a legitimate choice. But yeah, there should be a "Best PC DD platform award" if for no other reason so that anyone that votes for Origin can be banned from the site... Only slightly joking.
Posted Image

#21 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

... Steam is on there multiple times... And normally, I would agree with you on the CAG thing, but many people, obviously, legitimately feel that it IS the best place for trading. I am not one of them, but I've actually seen many posts on Goozex about people doing more and more trades here, and less there, so I really don't see why it should be excluded when it is a legitimate choice. But yeah, there should be a "Best PC DD platform award" if for no other reason so that anyone that votes for Origin can be banned from the site... Only slightly joking.

It's up for best retailer when it's not a retailer. There should be a digital distribution category for various services on PC and consoles that offer deals. Ignoring that aspect of the market is a fairly big hole in the list of categories.

It doesn't matter what CAGs think is best when it's an award for other sites. Cheapy himself said last year in the nomination thread that he should have excluded CAG from nominations, but allowed it due to his mistake. That it happened again shows that Cheapy doesn't care at all about the integrity of the award and should just remove it since it's only there now to stroke his ego.

#22 chrollo

chrollo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

I think I might have an origin account because of swtor and that makes me sad. Get out of the DD business EA and leave it to steam.

#23 sainrub

sainrub

CAGisdabomb!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Congratulations Gargus, I knew you could do it!

#24 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

unban gargus, we need him for next years award.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#25 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

The fact that BB won best B&M retailer only goes to show how piss-poor retail is now. I 1000% disagree with that, btw. I would have voted for fucking Wal-Mart over Best Buy.

Your not serious are you?

The only thing those two retailers have in common is a price match policy.

Best Buy = deals
Wal-Mart = No Deals

Best Buy = Rewards program
Wal-Mart = No rewards program

That and any retail store where you have to wait for an employee to unlock a cabinet to get a game (Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us, Walmart) should lose points.

Taking a quick look at the winners just reminds me how much of a hard on people have for Amazon (who had shit ass physical media deals in 2011 and thus far in 2012) and how badly people still hate bestbuy for the way it was run years ago.

#26 mightymek

mightymek

Welcome to the Gutter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I think I said this last year, but I'll say it again. I love how Gamestop is voted worst online and B & M retailer every year...yet as soon as a B2G1 happens, it's the most popular store in the world. I guess it can't be all that bad if everyone here (myself included) spends hundreds of dollars there every few months.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#27 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I think I said this last year, but I'll say it again. I love how Gamestop is voted worst online and B & M retailer every year...yet as soon as a B2G1 happens, it's the most popular store in the world. I guess it can't be all that bad if everyone here (myself included) spends hundreds of dollars there every few months.

Unfortunately I think this hate carries over into all the categories that GS is nominated in. I don't understand how it doesn't win Best Trade-In Program when Amazon has the same TIV for games and hasn't had a single promotion for trades all year. On top of that the games that you trade in have to be in pristine condition while places like GS or even Best Buy take disc-only.
Posted Image

#28 spedmunki

spedmunki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Kmart wins nothing. Justice is served

#29 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Congrats everyone!

#30 InvaderZim