• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

http://mynintendonew...0-yen-in-japan/

If true, that's probably about the right price for this market. I couldn't imagine selling a new console for much more than that when there is still a lot of life in the PS3 and Xbox.
Posted Image

#2 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

The Japanese price is 20,000 yen, though. That said, I think a US$299 price would have more to do with the current exchange rate* than matching up with the competition.

* - It was around 117 yen to the dollar in November 2006, when the Wii launched. Today it's barely 82 yen to the dollar (and that's the highest it's been in months).
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#3 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

If it wants to compete it definitely should be priced no more than $299, and at that price needs to come with a bundled game at the very least.

So far it hasn't shown it is a giant leap above the PS3 which at the moment is priced at $250 which includes a 160 GB hard drive and dedicated blu-ray player. By the time the Wii U launches I expect the Xbox 360 to be $150.

I really hope Nintendo comes out with some triple A launch titles or a reasonable bundle because at the moment the rumored advertised product boils down to a touchscreen controller for an extra $50. Minus a blu-ray player and giant established library of HD games.

I'm glad Nintendo is finally converting to HD but I want them to succeed and I really hope the Wii U doesn't end up like the current state of the Wii (lagging behind the competition). A generation ago the Gamecube was up to par and was a wonderful machine compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The Wii U is going to pale in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox 720.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#4 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm glad Nintendo is finally converting to HD but I want them to succeed and I really hope the Wii U doesn't end up like the current state of the Wii (lagging behind the competition). A generation ago the Gamecube was up to par and was a wonderful machine compared to the PS2 and Xbox. The Wii U is going to pale in comparison to the PS4 and Xbox 720.

Maybe, whenever such a beast comes out. While Microsoft is starting to show signs that they may have a new console in the future, I see no such sign yet from Sony. Unless there is a new market that one of these companies wants to enter, I don't see the rush to release another console.
Posted Image

#5 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

$299 is fine if it comes with a game. It will be a hard sell if it's just a system though. It will also be a hard sell if they don't throw in a game to show off the system's concept a la Wii Sports, so I'm guessing we'll see one.

* - It was around 117 yen to the dollar in November 2006, when the Wii launched. Today it's barely 82 yen to the dollar (and that's the highest it's been in months).

I'd just like to take a minute to say Fuck paypal and Fuck their conversion rates. They don't give me anything even close to 82 yen for the dollar.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#6 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Interesting that price seems about right

#7 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'd just like to take a minute to say Fuck paypal and Fuck their conversion rates. They don't give me anything even close to 82 yen for the dollar.

Tell me about it >_< What sucks for me is that my credit card company's rate is even worse, so I try to use PayPal at Japanese stores whenever possible.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#8 JG5253

JG5253

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

$299 would be a great price and if it came out with some big games at launch I would be really tempted. I probably wouldn't get it at launch since I have a huge backlog for my PS3, a little backlog for my 360, games I missed out for my Wii, and probably future games I want to buy for my new Vita.

#9 soonersfan60

soonersfan60

Longing for retro CAG...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

I'd buy it Day 1 at that price with a few worthy launch titles.

#10 rlse9

rlse9

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I doubt I'll be buying at launch since I still have several Wii games I want to play and just don't have much time for gaming now. But that price seems about right, assuming it includes a good packed in game like the Wii. If it's just the console that's too much, but I'm almost sure there will be a pack in, something that can sell the system when people see it, like Wii Sports did for the Wii.

Now Playing:

:wiiu: Mass Effect 3, Super Mario World, FIFA 13

#11 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I'd buy it Day 1 at that price with a few worthy launch titles.

It's less than a year away and we haven't even seen any real games for the system. I hope Nintendo's planning on blowing everyone away during E3.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D 

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :) 

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#12 Cheapskate

Cheapskate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

It's less than a year away and we haven't even seen any real games for the system. I hope Nintendo's planning on blowing everyone away during E3.

Rumor is Valve's console will be the one blowing everyone away during E3...

#13 mastagoalie

mastagoalie

long live games and 420

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

http://mynintendonew...0-yen-in-japan/

If true, that's probably about the right price for this market. I couldn't imagine selling a new console for much more than that when there is still a lot of life in the PS3 and Xbox.

dude, the xbox has been dead for years, micro$oft just found a way to even the playing field. That said, I believe that nintendo will release it at 350 and it will still not take a loss on the system!
-Masta

#14 Predator21281

Predator21281

The Parking Lot Pimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

Rumor is Valve's console will be the one blowing everyone away during E3...

If this is true, Valve is just going to be unfair. Half-Life 3 might be on the thing, or you can probably go between Computer and the Steam Box through Steam, like Portal 2. Another Counter-Strike, Half Life, and I honestly think that's all they need to be a competitor in the market.
Brawl Friend Code
Gull 5198 2154 2481

#15 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

If this is true, Valve is just going to be unfair. Half-Life 3 might be on the thing, or you can probably go between Computer and the Steam Box through Steam, like Portal 2. Another Counter-Strike, Half Life, and I honestly think that's all they need to be a competitor in the market.

About time.Here I am paying for Live like a sucker.

#16 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'm more focused on game prices at launch. I hope they stay at $50 msrp.

I need a new signature.

#17 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm more focused on game prices at launch. I hope they stay at $50 msrp.

I hope so too, but I'm doubtful they wont make the move to $60.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#18 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

I hope so too, but I'm doubtful they wont make the move to $60.

9 times out of 10 if I buy a game at launch it is a Nintendo game so $50 is a big + for me.

I need a new signature.

#19 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

I imagine we'll see variable pricing at launch.

Batman GOTY will be $50, but only because it'll be on 360/PS3 as well (I assume this will be the case)

Ninja Gaiden 3, Darksiders 2, and all of the other games coming out mid summer on PS3/360/PC coming late to Wii U are wild cards though. I think Darksiders 2 will be $60, but will have the DLC up to that point on the disc.

However, Assassin's Creed III, if it comes out Day and Date, will be $60 on Wii U.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#20 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Easy to see this one coming

What I wonder about isn't the hardware, but the relationship with developers that they emphasized starting last E3. In Nintendo's opinion, what is it about the WIIU that makes it more attractive to 3rd parties than the Wii?

Maybe this coming E3 will be good for that, who knows. Whatever the case, not that we didn't suspect this, but it's clear the part of the MSRP that isn't profit is going into the tablet peripheral. That tablet had better be good. I'm not as interested in this year's E3 as I was last year's, but I'm still tuning in...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Some of those guys are saying it's not even as powerful as Xbox 360 and PS3? Wow.

Even though I'll just be happy that Nintendo is finally going HD, it's still pretty disappointing if they can't even match what will be previous generation graphics.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#22 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business. They could do nothing but release their old NES/SNES/N64/GameCube games on PSN and XBLA marketplaces and make millions.

#23 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

It's a rumor. Could be true. Could be false. I guess I'd suggest waiting until it's not a rumor.

Crunchewy.png

#24 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Here we fuckin go again. Look, if the machine doesn't have games you want to play just don't buy it.

Fuck's sake.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#25 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Here we fuckin go again. Look, if the machine doesn't have games you want to play just don't buy it.

Fuck's sake.

This is what everyone should be talking about. A vast majority of the games announced for the system are ports, include many games that have been available on the 360/PS3 for months.

Add in the fact that it doesn't upscale Wii games and I honestly see no reason to buy it at this point, no matter the price at this point.

I'm sure Nintendo will (hopefully) show/demo some original games this E3 but the fact that it's this close to release and we haven't even any clear footage of some real games does bother me.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#26 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Why does that bother you?

Nintendo has made it quite clear that they plan on blowing out E3 with media and showing off their games. It is logical conjecture, based on Nintendo's history, that any devs that actually have a kit are under an NDA and can't show off any media yet. E3 is 60 days away. Sit tight.

#27 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Nintendo has made it quite clear that they plan on blowing out E3 with media and showing off their games. It is logical conjecture, based on Nintendo's history, that any devs that actually have a kit are under an NDA and can't show off any media yet. E3 is 60 days away. Sit tight.

Pretty much this. We've all known for a long time that Nintendo isn't showing jack until E3 and that there won't be any real news until then. Most things out there right now are conjecture.
Posted Image

#28 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Come on guys. Don't believe the Hyperbole.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#29 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Usually it seems like there's leaks and whatnot with new consoles but I guess that's true, Nintendo's generally more secretive than Sony/MS (NDA or not).

60 days... damn, a new generation is about to be revealed...

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#30 CGH

CGH

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I purchase nintendo systems for Nintendo games if nintendo maxes out wiiu it is all good extra is gravy.

Currently playing
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

:3ds: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

:3ds: Super Mario 3D Land