CAGcast #275: With Respect to the Vita

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

The gang is reunited for a respectful discussion on the future of the Vita, a spoiler-free Mass Effect 3 chat, and much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 88 minutes, 53MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Feel It (Maya/Tamperer) - A Real Hero (College w/Electric Youth)

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

#2 Lightning War

Lightning War

Baller on a Budget

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

Wombat's back! Hooray!

Downloading now.

Here's your explanation:

It's bullshit. According to the official website:

Near is the social networking app on the PS Vita that allows you to check in to real life locations and pick-up and or leave gifts for other gamers to find and use in their games. You can also locate and connect with your PlayStation®Network friends and other gamers nearby. With near you can check out which games are the most popular and highest rated by fellow gamers near your location.

Through near your location can be calculated through Wi-Fi hot spots or in 3G models, with use of GPS technology which is an exclusive capability of the 3G model. Be the first to find these valuable game gifts by logging into near via 3G and not waiting to get to a WiFi hot spot.

"Near" is a very relative term. They never specify how "near" it has to be, so they can take liberties with the numbers.

Edited by Lightning War, 15 March 2012 - 06:17 AM.

Portal 2 i thought was a shooter

#3 flamefist7

flamefist7

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Woot for having wombat back. you should of taken me with you :)

http://manuals.plays.../near/flow.html
Here is the link for the playstation vita manual. Including near and out-and -about history

Edited by flamefist7, 15 March 2012 - 06:24 AM.
Adding information

#4 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Wombat's back already? Thought he was out for two weeks. Woot.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#5 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Near uses GPS on the 3G model and Skyhook on both models. If you leave the Near app running in the background, it'll pick up data as you move about throughout the day.
Posted Image

#6 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

Near uses lies and trickery to generate fake PSN ID's in order to make you think there are people aside from you who bought not only the Vita, but at least one game for it and that said people are playing near you.

That or near = whole world, which is near, in comparison to the moon or Mars.

Edited by whoknows, 15 March 2012 - 08:03 AM.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#7 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thank you Gaming Moses.

#8 e3vL

e3vL

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

Sorry, don’t know how Near works since I don’t have a Vita. Guess I’m disqualified from the Naruto contest by default…better luck next time huh? I could google it, but I find that cheating.

Anyway great show, glad Wombat is back

Edited by e3vL, 15 March 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#9 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Shipwreck, as a pretty big Nintendo fan, I'm guaranteeing you there won't be a Mario Kart game for Wii U this fall. In fact, I'm guaranteeing there won't be a Mario game for it this fall at all, because they already announced a 2D Mario game is coming to the 3DS this fall. You also have to remember that Mario Kart 7 released for 3DS last year, and it felt pretty rushed and was really light on content, they even had to call in Retro to help them put it out quicker. It's a sign that Mario Kart HD is a ways off.

This fall, I expect Wii U to come out in mid October, just in time for games like Assassin's Creed III, Call of Duty 21 and other major third party games to be released day and date with their PS3/360 counterparts instead of waiting until mid November. As for software, expect a Wii U _____ pack-in like before, perhaps with a racing game on shelves, F-Zero maybe, and probably a game starring a franchise (besides Zelda) that is highly regarded so all the 3rd parties can bitch that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo consoles AGAIN.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#10 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

From Ashes ME3 DLC created so many interesting moments throughout the game I can't believe it isn't part of the game. Jalik is the only new character I like a lot. By the way I beat the game on normal using my ME2 import with no problems. I could understand with people starting at level one, but it really wasn't that hard.

Was the part Cheapy rage quit on the area where
Spoiler
That part sucked and took some tries. Now that I think about it, that was the hardest part of ME3 I had.

By the way, I was a soldier class too.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#11 mrspicytacoman

mrspicytacoman

Apply Ubik only as directed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hey Wombat, gemme naruto game for xbox. thxbai

CheapyD, I need a CAG scholarship and internship, thanks

Edited by mrspicytacoman, 15 March 2012 - 09:16 AM.

vpnz.png2h50m13.gif2eb67tj.jpgn5qy6u.gif

#TrueGamer

#12 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Was the part Cheapy rage quit on the area where

Spoiler
That part sucked and took some tries. Now that I think about it, that was the hardest part of ME3 I had.

Bingo. I eventually beat it by
Spoiler

#13 ufskenney

ufskenney

I got nuthin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Wombat - I tried to hook you up when I saw you were at the Wilderness lodge. A family member of mine is one of the managers. The room either wasn't in your name or you were checked out by the time they tried to look you up.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked - What you say to an Irishman when he buys you a beer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

You guys wanna know how NEAR works? It's broken, 'nuff said.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#15 MisterSmi13y

MisterSmi13y

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Woot the gangs all there! Can't wait!!!

#16 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Wombat - I tried to hook you up when I saw you were at the Wilderness lodge. A family member of mine is one of the managers. The room either wasn't in your name or you were checked out by the time they tried to look you up.

Ah, thanks! The room was in my father in laws name, so I would have been hard to find. Next Time!

#17 actripxl

actripxl

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree with Ship here, remember this will have Nintendo games in HD! That was the one thing that stopped my brother some friends, and I from getting a Wii, not to mention if they get the tablet portion right that will be its hook. Wombat is correct that MS and Kinect have taken some of the demographic over, but considering how they are offering gift cards all over the place to get Kinect and not have any real games to play on, Nintendo will eventually get those folks back with DK, Mario, and Link in its corner.

Remember this thing will finally be able to play hardcore games in HD, for myself I can get this a PS4 and with my computer be able to have the greatest variety in games.

Also I again agree with Ship that "From Ashes" should have been included since it gives FANS of the series a great service.

Edited by actripxl, 15 March 2012 - 01:19 PM.

51446.png

Can't wait for the next Uncharted and Halo on my next-gen systems!

#18 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Just downloaded! Glad to see you all re-united!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#19 chicagocubsfan

chicagocubsfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Shipwreck's description of the Yakuza sex scene was hilarious. Also, the Naruto games are pretty good, but usually only directed at the fans of the series. A pretty good pick up and play fighter, and it's fun to play locally and online.

Playing:
:3ds: Pokemon X  :whee: 
:psp:- Killzone Mercenary
:wii:-Wind Waker HD  8-)
:ps3:- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, rain   ;)
PSN is chicagocubsfan

#20 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, Wombat! I can't wait to play Mortal Kombat, and I sincerely hope my comments help make the show better (if that's possible...what a kiss-ass). Nothing says constructive critiism like ripping someone's spine out.

#21 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Ship, gonna have to disagree with the WiiU sales. Don't think it's going to go as great as it seems. I think you let the Wii sales cloud your judgement on their success. The Wii itself sold just less than their past three consoles combined (going from Wikipedia numbers at least).

Just remember, simply having Mario isn't a measure of success. The Gamecube still had a Mario game, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Pokemon, Luigi, Metroid, Zelda, etc, and still couldn't break 25 million in worldwide sales (again, WIKI numbers).

The Wii left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Nintendo's marketing and PR is what will sell this console, but they will have to work their ass off to get people interested in the system again.

EDIT:

Also, as I'm still listening to the podcast, the shield cerberus agents in ME3. I use the particle beam rifle to kill them. They have a little slot in the shield, and I take them out shooting between the little slot near where the head would be. Not sure how regular weapons with ammo would be, but you could shoot them that way. I know there's a trophy for it, so I think there should be an achievement for it as well for killing enough of those guys in that way. It's not too hard to do.

Edited by 4thHorseman, 15 March 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#22 granom

granom

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hey dudes, I wish you would post the list of games that you discuss in the episode show notes. I was interested in the JRPG that Ship was talking about. Now I have to do all kinds of EXTRA WORK to figure it out.

Wombat is hilarious and there should be a higher WBQ (Wombat Quotient) in the next episode. Also: more poop stories.

#23 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I think the sweet spot for the Vita would be PSN/XboxLiveArcade type titles, not slightly better iphone games.

#24 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Just finished the show. Love hearing "Real Hero" at the end. Man, DRIVE is awesome...

#25 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I agree that ME3 with Kinect is fun. My Kinect is calibrated and it works fine without shouting while my wife is in the room having a conversation on the phone. Works great and I like it.

#26 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

I believe Shipwreck is dead wrong about the wii U being on the television circuit. The only reason the Wii got any press is because it was something completely different, and as wombat mentioned, visually engaging as you got to watch the hosts doing slightly absurd things to play the game. Now not only is the inclusion of a tablet less visually engaging, but the newness and the novelty of it will have worn off quite a bit. I will be quite surprised if the Wii U gets even a fraction of the mainstream press that the Wii did.

In regards to kinect calling out ammo selection in ME3, I just find it quite amusing because it reminds me of one of features of Judge Dredd's handgun.

Guardian_owl.png

#27 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'd like to be the loser that wins that naruto game?

#28 Shockins

Shockins

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'd like to be the loser that wins that naruto game?

I agree that Youruglyclone should win Naruto just so it means NO ONE ELSE HAS TO..! Way to fall on the grenade Youruglyclone! Paragon +6 :applause:

#29 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

When it comes to the Wii U's doom predictions, I think it will do fine or better. If the Kinect can sell 8 million units in it's first 60 days the Wii U will do great. Just because hardcore gamers don't care about a product doesn't mean the rest of world doesn't care. That's what the Wii and Kinect have shown me and I doubt that will change.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#30 skubish

skubish

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Wow another week and more Vita hate.
Great show guys!