Photo
- - - - -

Would it be stupid to buy a PS3 now (or wait till E3)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

though i may try to wait till Thanksgiving and get it below 200 with gift card offers

anyone think we would see a 160GB under 175 soon
or 320 GB around 200 (275 now)
WOOOO I STINK

#2 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

There's rumors that a price cut for MS is incoming @ E3 which seems bout right with the falling hardware/software sales since Jan. If MS jumps 1st Sony will have to react since they can't be $100 more & with Wii U incoming both companies would like to take some E3 buzz away from Nintendo. There not announcing next gen so this is the other best way to.

However, if you locate 1 that's $200ish go for it since the price cut will only make it $200 & there maybe a giftcard offer to boot. The 60 price match policy won't go into effect until June 18 @ BB but if you do get it after E3 then you can be assured to get a price match thru GC or YMMV controller/other extra.

#3 SpaceSpace

SpaceSpace

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I just got a ps3 a month ago and I love it. Great selection of very cheap games available now, just make sure to get a deal on the console since it may price drop at E3 so unless you think you could find a good deal for one then don't pay full retail for something that may drop $50 or so in about a month.

Posted Image

#4 htz

htz

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

though i may try to wait till Thanksgiving and get it below 200 with gift card offers

anyone think we would see a 160GB under 175 soon
or 320 GB around 200 (275 now)

If you are not in the rush to get one, I would highly suggest you wait until E3. Sony does a internal hardware refresh around July of each year. You would likely see 2 new skus with CPU/GPU die shrink, lower wattage power supply, and bigger hard drive capacities.

#5 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

With the recent news on Sony financial loss, it wouldn't be farfetched to see them drop the price on the console and the Vita.

#6 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Wait till E3 for what will probably be a price drop. As others said, it would be even better to wait for black friday if you have the patience. On black Friday they may have it even cheaper and if not, you'll be sure to be able to get 1-3 games packed into it for the same price.

#7 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

doubtful but love to see the 160s fall to 150

320s fall to 200

Disgaea 3 and e.odyssy for the DS part 1 2 andpart 3 will tied me over for 6 weeks until E3 then :)
WOOOO I STINK

#8 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

You can be very confident that there will be a price drop for both consoles this year. If it doesnt happen at E3 then wait for the holidays. There is no way in hell that MS or Sony will keep the price steady the year Nintendo launches its new console. They will drop the price - probably aggressive price drops - in order to hurt Nintendo with its year head start.

#9 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

You can be very confident that there will be a price drop for both consoles this year. If it doesnt happen at E3 then wait for the holidays. There is no way in hell that MS or Sony will keep the price steady the year Nintendo launches its new console. They will drop the price - probably aggressive price drops - in order to hurt Nintendo with its year head start.

so the WII U is a stand alone system
WOOOO I STINK

#10 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

With the recent news on Sony financial loss, it wouldn't be farfetched to see them drop the price on the console and the Vita.

PS3 yes, the vita no it's not dropping. What does Sony do? They ADD games, PS+, game downloads, bundles AT THE SAME PRICE long before they drop the prices. Expect E3 to be Vita centric with news about the GAMES(since this is what sells systems), bundles(would probably see a Custom PSVita 1st party bundle) & the added 8 GB mem cards.
2013 yeah probably will see a price drop but that's next yr.

#11 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

If you really want one....why wait... Get it and enjoy it.
Posted Image

#12 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

I can definitely see prices on this being cut to $199 during the holidays. The last good price I saw on one was $219 BF bundle with 2 games and that was only if Kmart had leftover bundles. If they don't drop then they will probably release a very good bundle that includes more stuff for the same price. Its always worth waiting unless you have no games at all to play or if you really need it for some other reason IMO, which is kinda hard to believe for most of us lol. I am getting a PS3 but I am in the waiting crowd, even if I have to wait till BF. Though I hope Best Buy doesn't pull what they did last year and take more orders than they can fill.

#13 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Stupid to buy now? Nope. If you've got the scratch and the need to itch it, any price drop by the end of the year will only be on the order of $50.

Maybe with a bundled game? Wouldn't count on it, but with all of Sony's losses, they'll need to move more units - and bundling games or PSN credit (yeah, right!) might be needed to capture more sales, even with a price drop.

The PS3 is great, especially its exclusives and the recent inclusion of Amazon Instant Video. If $50 is too big a deal, wait for a drop. If it's not, keep your eyes on any upcoming sale or GC offer - it'll likely happen soon. In the meantime, try and pick up some of the games you want when they go on clearance or some ridiculous sale.

#14 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

so the WII U is a stand alone system

Yes, the Wii U is the first next gen console that will launch. It will play original Wii games as well and it is HD.

I'd say wait for the price drop. You've waited a really long time already, what's another month and a half? Waiting till black friday would be much harder for most people (not me).

#15 osugsxr

osugsxr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Have a 32gb touchpad with keyboard, posted on craigslist for sale. Have been offered a
ps3 250gb, 2 controllers wireless, plus 5 games
or
ps vita 16gb wifi, few gams

Have been through a few ps3 , sell or trading them etc. Currently use the 360 mainly for mw3 and thats about it. Already have a blu ray player. Tempted to trade for the ps3 bundle and be done with the touhpad.

#16 theflicker

theflicker

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Provided everything is in working condition, I would do that trade. The Touchpad is pretty dead and can be replaced with other tablet options.

#17 osugsxr

osugsxr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Provided everything is in working condition, I would do that trade. The Touchpad is pretty dead and can be replaced with other tablet options.

yeah think I'll end up trading for the ps3 250gb, 2 controller and 5 games. Still have $50 plus in psn credit to use up, and for a tablet would probably buy a ipad.

#18 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

could see 1 or 2 things happening this year.

Sony releases a 500gb PS3 at e3 for 249.99 And announces a price drop of the 320gb model to 199
discontinues the 160gb model. This would increase sales a ton.

Or something boring and Sony just does a small price drop of
199 for the 160gb
and 249 of the 320gb

If its the second option. Then wating to buy doesn't really seem worth it. (you would only save 25bucks from the current 274 320gb price)
Unless your going to wait until black friday deals which may come with a 50dollar giftcard.

I will add that I just bought a new PS3 320gb w/ mlb 2012 for 299 on amazon recently. Thinking that even if sony did do a price drop. it would only be 320gb for 249 officially. And thats what I paid (i sold the game for 50)

amazon has it listed for 274.99 for a little while now... so they might of been told to try and clear them out before a new model is released at the same price point of 299 or before a official drop happens which leaves them having to sell it for 249 on their own.

#19 ProAnon

ProAnon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

If I were you, I would wait. Surely I already have my console, but like other users have said, Sony is reporting huge profit losses, which is why I'm personally hoping for a Vita price drop at E3.

#20 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

could see 1 or 2 things happening this year.

Sony releases a 500gb PS3 at e3 for 249.99 And announces a price drop of the 320gb model to 199
discontinues the 160gb model. This would increase sales a ton.

Or something boring and Sony just does a small price drop of
199 for the 160gb
and 249 of the 320gb

If its the second option. Then wating to buy doesn't really seem worth it. (you would only save 25bucks from the current 274 320gb price)
Unless your going to wait until black friday deals which may come with a 50dollar giftcard.

I will add that I just bought a new PS3 320gb w/ mlb 2012 for 299 on amazon recently. Thinking that even if sony did do a price drop. it would only be 320gb for 249 officially. And thats what I paid (i sold the game for 50)

amazon has it listed for 274.99 for a little while now... so they might of been told to try and clear them out before a new model is released at the same price point of 299 or before a official drop happens which leaves them having to sell it for 249 on their own.

$50 price drop is what it'll be whenever it happens there's no huge $100 drop ever & you don't have to wait for BF for a $50 giftcard deal these happen more often. PC Richards has one right now.

#21 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

$50 price drop is what it'll be whenever it happens there's no huge $100 drop ever & you don't have to wait for BF for a $50 giftcard deal these happen more often. PC Richards has one right now.

The ps2 dropped from 299 to 199 overnight when sony made that price drop way long ago.

So it does happen. And was actually matched by Msft dropping the xbox to the same price on the same day.

Its just a matter of how aggressive Sony wants to be to sell their console this year.

#22 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

You can get a 160GB PS3 for 199 from gamestop right now.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#23 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you really want one....why wait... Get it and enjoy it.

Seriously people - it is ridiculously cheap right now!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#24 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

With a sale like this it could mean 1 of 2 things...price drop or clearing inventory for a newer version of the hardware. Either way $200 is not a bad price at all for a PS3.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#25 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

With a sale like this it could mean 1 of 2 things...price drop or clearing inventory for a newer version of the hardware. Either way $200 is not a bad price at all for a PS3.

I got my second one from gamestop almost a year ago for the same price.

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#26 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

The ps2 dropped from 299 to 199 overnight when sony made that price drop way long ago.

So it does happen. And was actually matched by Msft dropping the xbox to the same price on the same day.

Its just a matter of how aggressive Sony wants to be to sell their console this year.

wasn't $300 the launch price?

#27 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Very good deal.

Note also to those unaware: upgrading your PS3's hard drive is easy and reasonably inexpensive, so for another ~$100-130 you can buy a 1TB drive on Newegg and install it (just look for the laptop hard drives that mention in the user reviews that they fit inside a PS3). That way, you'll end up with a 1TB (actually shows up as a bit over 900GB) PS3 for a grand total somewhere in the $300 to $350 range -- not bad when the Uncharted 3 320GB bundle goes for $300.

In short: buy the lowest HDD capacity PS3 you can find, and upgrade its hard drive to 1TB for little more than the price of a 320GB PS3. :)

Edited by Josh1billion, 25 April 2012 - 11:53 PM.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/