224 replies to this topic

#1 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

The Destiny of a World in the Heart of One Hero

Few have seen the legendary dragon until this fateful day when it attacks your quiet coastal town of Cassardis. As villagers flee you stand your ground, ready to protect your home. The massive crimson beast confronts you and extends a talon towards your chest…

E3 Trailer
E3 Trailer

Preview explaining Pawn
Pawn System

Preview that made me make this thread
Preview

I checked and there were no other threads in this forum about this game specifically.

Helpful Links:

List of Quests in Dragon's Dogma

Dragon's Dogma Walkthrough

Dark Arisen Announced:~source
Posted Image

trailer

Remember when Capcom released Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 rendering Marvel vs. Capcom 3 essentially obsolete by comparison? Well that looks to be the same deal with Dragon's Dogma's Dark Arisen expansion, which will apparently be only available on disc for $39.99 or as a full game download from the PlayStation Store, due to "technical limitations".
"We went round and round with the team on this topic as [releasing the Dark Arisen content as DLC] would have been a preferred option from our standpoint too," Capcom VP Christian Svensson explained on Capcom-Unity, responding to a reader's complaint. "As it turns out, I'm sorry but unfortunately there were major technical limitations that would couldn't allow for a digital upgrade path."
Svensson went on to explain further, adding: "The original game was just not designed to be expanded (no hooks in the original code) and so a full-game delivery mechanism was the only option.
"We also tried to explore a number of mechanisms to try and otherwise put this full product in original owners hands at a discount digitally but we would have run afowl of a few first party policies (not any first party's fault, t'was our fault).
"So instead, we're packing more than $20 worth of value in digital rewards for existing users: 100K rift crystals (which in DDDA have a LOT more uses than they did in DD vanilla) the Gransys armor pack and the unlimited Ferrystone. We hope this will be a sufficent "thank you" for being part of the first wave of Dragon's Dogma fans given the development limitations we had."
Svensson concluded: "Thanks again for your continued support and I hope to see you in Gransys in April."
All of that time and effort you sunk into Dragon's Dogma won't go to waste in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen of course, as you'll be able to port your character and accompanying save data over to the new release. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available to purchase on disc or via the PS Store as a full game download for $39.99 on April 23rd in North America and April 26th in Europe.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will also be available to purchase on disc and will include all of the content from the original Dragon's Dogma as well as the following Dark Arisen content:
  • More skills/equipment/augments:
    • Level 3 Skills
      • DD: DA provides each character class with a new tier of skills, giving players new devastating abilities and skills to master
    • Over 100 pieces of new equipment
      • All new high level weapons and armor sets for players venturing into the underground caverns
    • 14 new character/Pawn augments
    • New tiers of equipment enhancement
  • And there’s more:
    • Increased character customisation options
    • Item appraisal
    • Option to select Japanese voice over
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will also herald the arrival of a new, more intuitive menu system and easier travel around Gransys. These improvements will be retrofitted for owners of the original Dragon's Dogma.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available on April 23rd in North America and April 26th in Europe for $39.99, as both a disc-based release on digital download from the PlayStation Store.

Edited by bjstucker, 25 January 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Kamagii.png

#2 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Capcom expects this game to be HUGE...sell 10 million copies HUGE but I dunno bout that unless it's truly spectacular. That would me it would be equal to or better than batman AC(sales wise)

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=317830

#3 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Pawn system looks like it could be pretty interesting.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#4 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

I definitely like what they are going for but I found the demo to be muddy and framey (it's an old build though). Also, in typical Capcom fashion, it suffers from tiny-text syndrome.

There is a lot going on with the combat but the demo is fairly easy so it basically boils down to grabbing the boss enemies and then wailing on them. The depth is there but the demo sections are simple and over quickly.

You have access to the character creation and can also create your pawn. Your character and pawn will go with you into the Countryside Quest but not the Prologue Quest. (I believe that you are a Strider in the Countryside Quest and a Fighter in the Prologue)

I'm still not a fan of Capcom thanks to their atrocious DLC strategies but I'll give this a whirl once it comes down a bit and depending on how they decide to handle DLC.

Edited by Fell Open Ian, 24 April 2012 - 10:07 PM.

sudo mklove

#5 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

I wasnt interested in this game at all until I watched some vids on youtube the other day. Now I am intrigued. Do we know if the game will play similar to a Demons Souls or Kingdom of Amalur?

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#6 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I wasnt interested in this game at all until I watched some vids on youtube the other day. Now I am intrigued. Do we know if the game will play similar to a Demons Souls or Kingdom of Amalur?

More like DS. You download other peoples Pawms using rift points (currency in game) and they help you on the adventure depending on what the pawn has done adventure wise will tell how strong etc it will be for certain missions. Very interesting they compare it to FFXI /FFXIV in the fact that you can change class on the fly and are not set in one specific class through out the entire game.

Kamagii.png

#7 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Played the demo this morning. When I get home I have to play it few more time to form an opinion.

Edited by retro.elite, 24 April 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#8 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Should have expanded the play area and slapped a fixed time limit on it like they did for Dead Rising.

Enjoyed the few minutes I played, still keeping my pre order.

#9 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I cant wait to play the demo.

Kamagii.png

#10 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Wow, this game actually looks pretty good. I originally wrote it off because it looked like a Demon's Souls ripoff but it definitely doesn't seem like it after watching some of the videos...

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D 

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :) 

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related Goodies║Wantlist║

#11 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

More like DS. You download other peoples Pawms using rift points (currency in game) and they help you on the adventure depending on what the pawn has done adventure wise will tell how strong etc it will be for certain missions. Very interesting they compare it to FFXI /FFXIV in the fact that you can change class on the fly and are not set in one specific class through out the entire game.

yeah , its cool, i played the demo last night, did not realize it was coming on PSN already. It was fun. Good graphically, but kind of chaotic to the point I had a hard time knowing what was going on with everyone. Also seemed somewaht easy, although that may be just for the demo. I didnt die or even come close to dying and I just hacked away at the end boss in the prologue mission.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#12 retro.elite

retro.elite

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...wasnt-terrible'>kotaku made a video of what you might see in the final build of the game.

#13 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I enjoyed the demo except for the sluggish frame rate. We'll see if Capcom makes a bunch of DLC for this game.

#14 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

After playing the demo I was pretty happy with it. kind of sad that prologue did not include my created character but thankfully the countryside mission did. I really enjoy being able to grab onto the "bosses" and then target certain parts to attack. The griffin fight was pretty awesome flying in the air a bit while my pawn was shooting fire arrows at it to help bring it down. Honestly the demo solidified any doubts I had about it being from the makers of RE and DmC. On another note somehow at gamestop they have it down for 49.99 instead of the usual 59.99 I have heard no mention of a SE or anything so hopefully it is their mistake and they honor the cheaper price.

Kamagii.png

#15 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I'm still interestedin the game but I didn't have fun with the demo at all.

On the plus side when you play online with kids they see a censored name for your character that you can choose. One of the options is "Viewtiful Joe"

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#16 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

New gameplay stream, 3 parts, and four Mages
:shock:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

I originally wrote this game off because I didn't think Capcom could pull such a game like this off. After watching some gameplay footage, I am highly intrigued and downloading the demo now.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#18 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

According to the latest 8-4 Play podcast your created character and pawn carry over from the demo into the retail release.
sudo mklove

#19 praxus07

praxus07

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

Wow, the demo took two and a half hours to install. I downloaded it the night before last and started the install at 9am, it wasn't done installing till 11:30am. All that time for a 60 second mission (kill the griffon). Not really impressed, but I do so totally want this game. And it releases on my birthday...LOL.
Praxus_07.png

#20 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

Wow, the demo took two and a half hours to install. I downloaded it the night before last and started the install at 9am, it wasn't done installing till 11:30am. All that time for a 60 second mission (kill the griffon). Not really impressed, but I do so totally want this game. And it releases on my birthday...LOL.

Seriously? That's the same demo I played last year at comic-con? They added nothing?

#21 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

It has a mission with Griffon/character creation/Prologue before dragon steals your heart.

Kamagii.png

#22 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

It has a mission with Griffon/character creation/Prologue before dragon steals your heart.

The gryphon mission was what I played at comic con last summer. Sad they didn't change it after a year.

#23 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

I doubt many companies change their demos often. It probably costs more money than they want to spend.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#24 Adrian63

Adrian63

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

i wish i had a ps3 :(

gallery_474050_8161_547.jpg

#25 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I must say I'm intrigued now that GI gave it an 8.5. Usually these are just throwaway capcom games and releasing a week after D3 isn't doing it any favors. I might pick it up on the cheap now, though.

#26 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

I doubt many companies change their demos often. It probably costs more money than they want to spend.

I understand that, but then there was pretty much no reason to release it so late if it wasn't changed. And it makes me a little uneasy that they might not have polished much in the past 10 months.

#27 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I started watching some videos on this since the article was making a comparison to Dark Souls and a few key bad design issues I noticed started popping up:

- Aerial NPCs are a bitch for warriors seeing as you have to jump and slash to connect, but at the same time they tend to back up when approached making for very frustrating gameplay.

- Synergy between you and your companions is very broken. They like to talk a lot and when they hit enemies with a 'power shot' it can make them fly backwards. While cool when you do it, imagine if your archer kept knocking enemies back that you're trying to cleave down. I imagine you might turn around and kill him instead after 5 minutes of that.

- There doesn't appear to be repercussions for striking first. From the assortment of enemies I saw, none have the ability to block. This allowed the player in the videos to go in swinging without any set strategy. The Cobra Kai motto may apply, but it doesn't make for good gameplay.

I still want to see what reviewers think because I'm dying for another good, dark JRPG right now.

#28 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

I started watching some videos on this since the article was making a comparison to Dark Souls and a few key bad design issues I noticed started popping up:

- Aerial NPCs are a bitch for warriors seeing as you have to jump and slash to connect, but at the same time they tend to back up when approached making for very frustrating gameplay.

- Synergy between you and your companions is very broken. They like to talk a lot and when they hit enemies with a 'power shot' it can make them fly backwards. While cool when you do it, imagine if your archer kept knocking enemies back that you're trying to cleave down. I imagine you might turn around and kill him instead after 5 minutes of that.

- There doesn't appear to be repercussions for striking first. From the assortment of enemies I saw, none have the ability to block. This allowed the player in the videos to go in swinging without any set strategy. The Cobra Kai motto may apply, but it doesn't make for good gameplay.

I still want to see what reviewers think because I'm dying for another good, dark JRPG right now.

Did you try the demo?

Kamagii.png

#29 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

Just got done with the demo.It was okay,it really just felt like easier and more mindless version of demon's souls to me.Also the partners talk got pretty annoying and little distracting.

I'll probably pick it up when it drops below 30 bucks.

Edited by themaster20000, 14 May 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#30 Enuf

Enuf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Capcom expects this game to be HUGE...sell 10 million copies HUGE but I dunno bout that unless it's truly spectacular. That would me it would be equal to or better than batman AC(sales wise)

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=317830

well one thing for damn sure Capcom this one is gonna fall WELL SHORT of expectations & reach nowhere near 10 million sales. I think they should know this no just based off pre-orders which is why it's been adjusted down to 1.5 million LOL. How did they ever think this would outsell RE6 anyways. Not saying a new IP can have huge success(LA Noire, RDR(well there was a Red Dead Revolver), B:AA/B;AC but man these titles had legs, ads, promos galore.
http://www.digitaltr...-past-failures/

http://www.joystiq.c...ion-dmc-does-2/

OT
Lost Planet 3 1.4 million? I guess but it better release in a good window, be better than 2 & come with promos to get a good 1st week. Even DNF will reach 2 million LTD.