Silent Hill HD Collection 29.99 at Amazon FSSS PS3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

Not sure if its permanent or a temporary drop but it's the lowest I've seen for a new copy at Amazon.

There are many complaints about the the collection (mainly for ps3 version) despite the first patch it got. There supposedly is a second patch on the way but who know how much it will fix. I honestly just want it for the cover art. I think it looks really good haha.

http://www.amazon.co...35503043&sr=8-1

My first thread so help me out if I'm doing something wrong.

#2 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

360 price is still 39.99
my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#3 iduncurr

iduncurr

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Honestly, I was hoping the Devil May Cry HD collection would drop to 29.99 instead.
Thanks for the heads up though.

#4 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

Honestly, I was hoping the Devil May Cry HD collection would drop to 29.99 instead.
Thanks for the heads up though.

I would love to see DMC HD to drop its price sometime soon but its not getting the same hate treatment like Silent Hill HD to drop so fast :roll:

@technicalstylez
Ah thanks. Fixed now.

#5 iduncurr

iduncurr

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

What was wrong with Silent Hill HD in the first place?
Was it a few bugs they needed to air out or was it the overall quality of the import?

#6 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Was it a few bugs they needed to air out or was it the overall quality of the import?

Hearing from others who played the ps3 version, it has alot of issues such as frame rates, freezing, audio problems, and something to do with there being less fogs. I may be missing some still. I was going to completely forget about buying this game but they recently announced that the new patch is on the way. Hopefully it fixes most of the problems.

#7 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Audio synch issues, fog (or lack of it) issues, and some really bad texture problems (run a Google image search on this one - the boat-rowing portion near the end of SH2 looks AWFUL). Sounded bad enough where I won't be purchasing until it hits a sub-$15 price tag.
Posted Image

#8 Prismatico

Prismatico

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Way more than a few. Framerate, audio, graphics (things not loading when they should), and some minor aesthetic changes which are major to a lot of the die-hard fans. The aesthetic shifts likely won't be changed, but the rest is said to be receiving a patch at some point.

#9 iduncurr

iduncurr

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

Ah, guess I'm waiting out on it then.
I rather pick it up when all the bugs are for sure fixed.

#10 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

i picked up the 360 version today from best buy (29.99 this week) via gc and so far its been smooth sailing. only the ps3 version seems to be plagued with bugs.

now playing:

#11 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

Way more than a few. Framerate, audio, graphics (things not loading when they should), and some minor aesthetic changes which are major to a lot of the die-hard fans. The aesthetic shifts likely won't be changed, but the rest is said to be receiving a patch at some point.

Do you think minor aesthetic changes affect people new to the series? I'm planning to get into Silent Hill series soon and I prefer my experience to be scary as possible.

#12 djdarko

djdarko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Do you think minor aesthetic changes affect people new to the series? I'm planning to get into Silent Hill series soon and I prefer my experience to be scary as possible.

The voice acting sounds way better, but you might want to check this out for a few comparisons.

#13 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Games $29.99 at Best Buy also. Both PS3 and 360. I'm still holding out at sub-$20 for this game though because I've read about all the problems with it. I also already have 2-3 on PS2.

#14 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I want this for ps3, but im gonna wait for a lower price as well.

people new to the series won't notice the things like the fog, but it sounds like the ps3 version has lots of technical bugs that everyone will notice.

Another major complaint, and major problem for me, is that apparently this HD collection is way too dark, to the point where you can't even see where some doors are.

I don't understand how they can Fuck up these HD collections so badily. Apparently these touch ups require a lot more care than the publishers expected.

Edited by tylerh1701, 27 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#15 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

The voice acting sounds way better, but you might want to check this out for a few comparisons.

Man, I remember all the pissing and moaning over the announcement that the games were going to be redubbed. It's cool that they kept the option for the old dub in 2, but the new dubs are just *better*, as I knew they'd be all along. The dub director they tasked with the HD remakes, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, is responsible for some of the best anime dubs ever produced, as well as being the vocalist for some of Silent Hill's best music. It's really too bad about all the other issues this collection has, but the new voice acting is the best thing to happen to these games.
Posted Image

#16 retrad

retrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

they fucked up the graphics alot due to the graphical limitations of the ps2 they expertly used fog and other effects to give the game a certain atmosphere.

now the textures look like shit, the fog looks like shit and you can see things that are unfinished that were hidden by the effects used in the ps2 version.

point being... the ps2 version is graphically superior and a superior experience to the ps3 version.

go play the games on ps2 or xbox dont waste your time on these terrible bug filled remakes.
Posted Image

#17 ahchamna

ahchamna

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Are the technical problems are as bad as they say? I've seen many reviewers but its so mixed I can't tell whats what. Plan on picking up a copy soon

#18 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

never played either game so i have 0 expectations and nothing to be disappointed about.
im happy with the 360 version thus far.

now playing:

#19 exaznkid

exaznkid

Spare Some Change

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

do they even plan on fixing these issues? this was like the one game i was actually looking forward to play since i never got the games on my ps2. I googled the technical problems they had and it was pretty awful, it's amazing this even got released. This was supposed to be the one thing to save the Silent Hill series from the franchise graveyard and they managed to royally Fuck it up

#20 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

never played either, ran through silent hill 2 about 4 times and got all trophies except the 10* green spray run. great fun eitherway, but i could tell the fog was botchy. sh2 ran pretty perfect for me, but sh3 is a different story and the gameplay is very laggy. sh2 was only laggy in the streets but thats cuz the fog was reduced so its weird there are too many monsters and they stand still and aren't hidden. waiting for sub 15, got it rented through gamefly.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#21 twiceborn

twiceborn

SAY WHAT?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

never played either, ran through silent hill 2 about 4 times and got all trophies except the 10* green spray run. great fun eitherway, but i could tell the fog was botchy. sh2 ran pretty perfect for me, but sh3 is a different story and the gameplay is very laggy. sh2 was only laggy in the streets but thats cuz the fog was reduced so its weird there are too many monsters and they stand still and aren't hidden. waiting for sub 15, got it rented through gamefly.

Damn, 4 times. About how long was each playthrough?

"When I die, I want to go just like my grandpa, peacefully and in my sleep,... not kicking and screaming like all of his passengers."

Joker: It seems he finally took the stick out of his a#*, but now he wants to beat people to death with it.

#22 MR_E

MR_E

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

I played through both games, and the only real bothersome issues I ran into were:
-Slowdown...as in running underwater slowdown (only in a few brief isolated sections in SH2...really just a couple few-minute areas outside in the fog...but a bit more prevalent in SH3...still isolated, but a lot more frequent and occurring in some indoor areas, too...with a few sections that dropped from normal down to half speed and back just by turning the flashlight off and on)
-Audio syncing during cutscenes being off by a few seconds sometimes in SH3 (fairly random - sometimes they'd be perfectly synched, but after dying and reloading, they'd be off by like a whole sentence)
-Gunshot audio glitches in SH2 (not bothersome...actually sounded like bullets ricocheting a few times and would have almost been cool if not for the fact that it happened when I actually hit what I was shooting)

Other than those issues (that only cropped up now and then and certainly weren't game-breaking...and that will hopefully get patched out this time around), it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. There are a few questionable aesthetic choices...like James' weird breathing noise in SH2...but nothing too bad (I'm guessing the fog difference is more likely due to compromises made in trying to get the fog to render correctly on the ps3...but it's actually fairly similar to the fog in SH1 and really not a big deal). The infamous "water texture" everyone is talking about is pretty much visible during like 10 seconds of cutscene before it is obscured by fog...and was a lot milder on my tv... The images floating around look like the contrast has been cranked for effect...and if your entire 7 hour game experience is ruined by 10 seconds of slightly weird looking water behind you when you're getting into a boat, well...

Not that I'm excusing Konami for releasing games they admitted they knew had performance issues or saying they shouldn't be held responsible for that (companies really need to put out finished products again instead of broken products with day 1 patches). I am saying, though, as a long-time fan of the series, I enjoyed playing through the games again with the new coat of paint despite the flaws, and, from an objective non-nostalgia-tinged standpoint, I actually think the new SH2 voice acting might be better (not as big on some of the SH3 actors, but it's still pretty solid). If they manage to patch out the technical issues, it'll be a pretty solid collection. That's my take on it.

#23 FactionG

FactionG

Too many backlog games!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

No fog, no buy.

#24 Ares

Ares

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would consider this if the 360 game was $29 on Amazon as well, I wouldn't touch the PS3 version until the patches fix the errors in the game.

#25 Kidd.o

Kidd.o

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

Any good reason that they didn't include 1 or 4 in this? 2 games is not a collection, especially with how many Silent Hill games there are.

Because the first is a PS1 game, and they couldn't really upgrade a PS1 game to HD. A remake would be great, though!

And I guess they ignored 4 because it seems to be so hated.

They could've at least tacked on Origins and a Move-enabled version of Shattered Memories.

#26 mikepeluso

mikepeluso

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

What crap.Why isn't the 360 version 29.99. Can't they atleast match Best Buy

#27 Curlis

Curlis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think I read 4 wasn't a Silent Hill originally and was later dubbed Silent Hill to help sales. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't played any of these so whats waiting a few more months for the bugs to be ironed out :)
Now Playing - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Posted Image

#28 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

You're better off playing the PC version with the widescreen hack. It's funny how that version manages widescreen HD without any compromise yet something specifically designed for it winds up such a mess, from what I read you can get 3D vision to work with it but I'm not sure since they cut <dx9 support.

http://www.3dsolutio...ent hill 2.html

#29 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

I played through both games, and the only real bothersome issues I ran into were:
-Slowdown...as in running underwater slowdown (only in a few brief isolated sections in SH2...really just a couple few-minute areas outside in the fog...but a bit more prevalent in SH3...still isolated, but a lot more frequent and occurring in some indoor areas, too...with a few sections that dropped from normal down to half speed and back just by turning the flashlight off and on)
-Audio syncing during cutscenes being off by a few seconds sometimes in SH3 (fairly random - sometimes they'd be perfectly synched, but after dying and reloading, they'd be off by like a whole sentence)
-Gunshot audio glitches in SH2 (not bothersome...actually sounded like bullets ricocheting a few times and would have almost been cool if not for the fact that it happened when I actually hit what I was shooting)

Other than those issues (that only cropped up now and then and certainly weren't game-breaking...and that will hopefully get patched out this time around), it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. There are a few questionable aesthetic choices...like James' weird breathing noise in SH2...but nothing too bad (I'm guessing the fog difference is more likely due to compromises made in trying to get the fog to render correctly on the ps3...but it's actually fairly similar to the fog in SH1 and really not a big deal). The infamous "water texture" everyone is talking about is pretty much visible during like 10 seconds of cutscene before it is obscured by fog...and was a lot milder on my tv... The images floating around look like the contrast has been cranked for effect...and if your entire 7 hour game experience is ruined by 10 seconds of slightly weird looking water behind you when you're getting into a boat, well...

Not that I'm excusing Konami for releasing games they admitted they knew had performance issues or saying they shouldn't be held responsible for that (companies really need to put out finished products again instead of broken products with day 1 patches). I am saying, though, as a long-time fan of the series, I enjoyed playing through the games again with the new coat of paint despite the flaws, and, from an objective non-nostalgia-tinged standpoint, I actually think the new SH2 voice acting might be better (not as big on some of the SH3 actors, but it's still pretty solid). If they manage to patch out the technical issues, it'll be a pretty solid collection. That's my take on it.

Which system did you play it on?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#30 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

they should add SH1 in there and maybe SH: the room.