Photo
- - - - -

"Final Allotment" of 50 Portal Guns to go on sale tonight at midnight EST ($139.99)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#1 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

I know a lot of CAGs had interest in this. They're a limited edition of 5000, at $139.99). Myself and a couple others were able to get orders in on this today when Amazon restocked with about 25ish units today, but according to NECA's facebook post, there may be no more Amazon restocks: they're calling these final 50 units the "Final Allotment". 50 is a terribly small number for something that is as in demand as this. The things are selling for insane ebay prices. I hope some real fans of the game snag some. NECA did this same thing last week (50 units) and there were a lot of people who got cart-jacked. Some even got to the payment screen and got a "thank you for your order" only to have it instantly cancelled. NECA's website pays via paypal, so make sure to have an account and be logged in.

Also, I'd say make a NECA account before the sale starts. It's gonna take luck, a fast connection, and a lot of refreshing and multiple open tabs. Good luck, and I hope these go to fans and CAGs, not ebay hounds.

NECA facebook: http://www.facebook....149546978509188

Item's page (wont show up til midnight est): http://www.necaclub....oductCode=45065
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#2 The Holy Pretzle

The Holy Pretzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

Good luck! Got mine on Amazon a while back, and Neca's 50 they do every once in a while go reaaaally fast apparently. Prepare to mash that F5 key :D

#3 woz3323

woz3323

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

Got one last week from NECA's site and they sold out in about 1 minute and a half. Got it in the mail today. It's really slick.
"I am somewhere where I don't know where I am"
-Homer Simpson

#4 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

What's the point of this? I mean, they're going to meet the overwhelming demand for this with 50 more units? All that's going to do is cause their site to crash and a lot of people to bitch.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#5 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

What's the point of this? I mean, they're going to meet the overwhelming demand for this with 50 more units? All that's going to do is cause their site to crash and a lot of people to bitch.

Yea, the chances of you snagging one from here are slim. Good luck to those who try.

#6 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:12 AM

in a way, i almost feel like more real fans would have a shot if they didn't announce when they were re-stocking

I mean, look at amazon...they've done three restocks of between 20-30 units at unannounced times. Are they still gone in minutes? Yes, but they also don't give ebay hounds the chance to prepare. Real fans are much more likely to keep checking constantly for a restock than somebody who wants it for ebay.

#7 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

in a way, i almost feel like more real fans would have a shot if they didn't announce when they were re-stocking

I mean, look at amazon...they've done three restocks of between 20-30 units at unannounced times. Are they still gone in minutes? Yes, but they also don't give ebay hounds the chance to prepare. Real fans are much more likely to keep checking constantly for a restock than somebody who wants it for ebay.

If someone really wants it, for their collection or for profit, they're not going to leave it to chance. They'll be signed up with a number of In Stock notification places, they'll have addons checking the page for changes, or whatever other automation they need to setup to make sure they can get one (or two or three).

#8 mattcube64

mattcube64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

These things are selling for $400-$1000 on eBay. That's ridiculous.

You should have went back and waved it in that chick's face.....and, waved the cash in her face, too!

I came here b/c I was sick of low trade-in prices.

#9 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

These things are selling for $400-$1000 on eBay. That's ridiculous.

I assume NECA is doing 1 per customer (they did last time). So at least there's that.

#10 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

I think you might have made it a little harder for those who want it for keeps by posting this on here. They're are a ton of hoarders/flippers on cag, but like I said you would have to be really lucky to get one from here.

#11 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

I think you might have made it a little harder for those who want it for keeps by posting this on here. They're are a ton of hoarders/flippers on cag, but like I said you would have to be really lucky to get one from here.

I thought of that...considered not posting. But because they're calling it a "Final Allotment", I thought that I should post it. If somebody who wanted it to keep didn't know about it, they'd have no chance. Now they at least have some of a chance. "Final Allotment" just made it seem like people hoping for another Amazon restock might have no other choice but try for these last 50.

#12 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

Be prepared - they did this same thing a few nights ago (Friday or Saturday night) and I waited up. As soon as midnight hit, their site slowed to a crawl (4-5mins to load pages), and the add to cart button didn't work. Those who managed to get the gun into their carts had it disappear before they could pay.

Do whatever you can to get good luck before 12! lol

Kat_Siggy80.png Katsumica.png

#13 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

i don't think amazon restocks are allotments, just cancellations of older orders.

this should be fun.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#14 dv8mad

dv8mad

Fulfilling

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

Luckily I saw a Youtube video and heard how terrible it sounds.
Totally washed away my desire for one, so I don't feel bad at all anymore that I missed out.

#15 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

I didn't know about the 50 they sold on Friday. I did have fun reading their facebook page (NECA) after the fact and listen to all the entitled cry babies complain about getting "cartjacked" as if you own an item the second it is placed in your shopping cart

#16 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

i don't think amazon restocks are allotments, just cancellations of older orders.

this should be fun.

Yea I agree, cancellations and denied cards. I'm sure they will pop up on there again.

#17 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

this should be fun.

If so, then there may still be some chances even after these final 50. I know Neca doesnt want to piss off those who bought it by releasing more, but couldn't they release a slightly smaller one, or maybe put "2nd edition" on the bottom of the gun or something? I mean damn. Too many people want this. I would have been pissed if I missed out. They really dropped the ball with the 5000 limit.

They did announce that B&M gohastings and some comic store would get them, but they didn't say when or even if it has an official B&M release date, so finding one at one of those stores (if they havn't already been shipped and sold) is almost pure luck.

#18 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Yea I agree, cancellations and denied cards. I'm sure they will pop up on there again.

Yes, you never know :) I set firefox to refresh every 3 minutes on the product page and keep an eye on it.. i happened to get lucky when Amazon had ~30 come in stock earlier today.

#19 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

maybe. but with such limited stock, chances of getting it via amazon are about as slim as this final allotment of 50 will be.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#20 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

I actually think doing it randomly gives eBay hounds a better chance to get one. There are a few people who flip as something on the side but a vast majority of the eBay hounds do this for a living. That's their full time job: sit a computer and wait for/find deals to make money on.

My argument with these high demand, low supply runs is, and always has been, to issue a reprint with a distinction (though not as dramatic as Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits versions of games). They should release a second run with something that easily distinguishes the original 5000 from the 2nd run without ruining the overall look/feel; something like a plate on the gun with a generic serial number that says "Property of Aperture Science - For Test Purposes Only". That way, the people who want one just for fun can still have one that still looks nearly identical and those who want the authentic original know which one to avoid.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#21 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

Yes, you never know :) I set firefox to refresh every 3 minutes on the product page and keep an eye on it.. i happened to get lucky when Amazon had ~30 come in stock earlier today.

Out of curiosity, do you know exactly how many they had today? I got an order in by right place/right time, but I placed my order literally RIGHT when it became available--before the add to cart button was even back on the page (amazon was just listed as one of the three sellers). And almost instantly after I ordered mine and posted in the other thread, somebody posted that they had 23 left.

Maybe they had 25, and you and I got the first two. But if they had 30, and they sold seven THAT fast, and still sold out in minutes...there must be a LOT of people constantly on that page refreshing. The demand for this thing is insane. Hell, I got an order in and I've still checked 25 times just to make sure my order is still there.

#22 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

I actually think doing it randomly gives eBay hounds a better chance to get one. There are a few people who flip as something on the side but a vast majority of the eBay hounds do this for a living. That's their full time job: sit a computer and wait for/find deals to make money on.

My argument with these high demand, low supply runs is, and always has been, to issue a reprint with a distinction (though not as dramatic as Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits versions of games). They should release a second run with something that easily distinguishes the original 5000 from the 2nd run without ruining the overall look/feel; something like a plate on the gun with a generic serial number that says "Property of Aperture Science - For Test Purposes Only". That way, the people who want one just for fun can still have one that still looks nearly identical and those who want the authentic original know which one to avoid.

100000% agreed. They need to get more of these things out there. The demand is simply too high. Hell, the other day there were two fan made guns going for 200+ on ebay.

#23 Katsumi

Katsumi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

I'm not sure exactly :) I was like you... frantically gasped and clicked when i saw i could add it to my cart lol. By the time i checked it was 23 like you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, do you know exactly how many they had today? I got an order in by right place/right time, but I placed my order literally RIGHT when it became available--before the add to cart button was even back on the page

#24 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

The problem with releasing another 1:1 batch is that even if you put something to distinguish it as not 1st edition isn't that it will piss off the 5000 people who bought batch 1, it's that no one is gonna ever believe you about limited numbers in the future and that could hurt sales.

Look at capcom and their 3ds cases. I don't trust them at all. Next time they release an item "limited to the first x buyers," they're gonna have to say "no, really, we mean it THIS time."

Ees7Y.jpg

#25 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

I'm not sure exactly :) I was like you... frantically gasped and clicked when i saw i could add it to my cart lol. By the time i checked it was 23 like you mentioned.

hahahaha my reaction was just the same. I was in half-disbelief all the way through the check out process, waiting to be notified it didnt go through or it was an error or something lol

The problem with releasing another 1:1 batch is that even if you put something to distinguish it as not 1st edition isn't that it will piss off the 5000 people who bought batch 1, it's that no one is gonna ever believe you about limited numbers in the future and that could hurt sales.

Look at capcom and their 3ds cases. I don't trust them at all.

good point, but did Capcom do anything to distinguish the difference on those?

#26 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Feel like I should also point out that if the Portal facebook page is any indication, Valve's gonna have some available tomorrow for the launch of their "Perpetual Testing Initiative".

#27 RedRingOfDeath

RedRingOfDeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

Geez... This was selling on eBay for ~$200 in mid-April, and from late April to now has steadily gone up in price in eBay completed listings. Last ones sold on eBay have gone from $500 to just shy of $1000! OMG.

Edited by RedRingOfDeath, 08 May 2012 - 04:01 AM.

I know the muffin man!

#28 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

good point, but did Capcom do anything to distinguish the difference on those?

no, they just upped the number to 1000 and pretended the "limited to 500" never existed. And then someone said they just mass produced them without the number.

afaik, neca didn't serial number the 5000 batch.

btw, how about this thread being over 10 mins old and nobody has done the MSRP is not a deal thing yet!

Ees7Y.jpg

#29 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

Feel like I should also point out that if the Portal facebook page is any indication, Valve's gonna have some available tomorrow for the launch of their "Perpetual Testing Initiative".

Perpetual Testing Initiative? What's that? Anyway, if they do have more, it's really shitty of them to say "final allotment" and confuse everybody.

btw, how about this thread being over 10 mins old and nobody has done the MSRP is not a deal thing yet!

that's gotta be a record

#30 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

someone in the other thread said they sold those already? I dunno.

@drclaw - this is NECA's final allotment right? They don't control valve's.

Ees7Y.jpg